Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 14:48   #466
Senior - BHPian

Multiple routes yes, sadly none of them are 100% fine. we just have to compromise as i dont see that the problem is going to be resolved anytime soon

I guess i will just keep an ear on Shiradi update and finally decide either this or the mudigere route.

For guys going to Mangalore, madikeri route is a worthy option
Old 20th March 2009, 13:00   #467
BHPian

shiradi update

Latest update from our driver who returned from Dharmasthala yesterday night ( 19.03.2009 )

He says don't use shiradi at night .

All vehicles using shiradi as charmadi has been closed. Large potholes has been filled and very rough ( read no road ) is confined to just 10 km. Sumo, scorpio type vehicles have no problem negotiating / avoiding craters - ONLY during day !

other cars also using shiradi ( no choice ! ) at crawling speed.

His advice - shiradi not impossible. cars could travel during day. Next one week could be drivable - could deteriorate due to charmadi spillover.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:48   #468
Senior - BHPian

These words are encouraging me to take Shiradi next weekend, Guys keep posting latest updates
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:33   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hey Chandan

Can you tell me roughly how many kms are in bad shape?

Last time i took this route sometime in october and it was not just shiradi that was bad but also the hasan Bypass, hasan to sakleshpur showing signs of breaking near the slopes and all the way till the diversion to Dharmasthala(infact it was more horrible there than ghats) If i am not wrong, this comes after Gundya, Did you have a chance to hear about that stretch as well ?
Bangalore to Sakleshpur is in good shape.Even the Hassan bypass & Sakleshpur ghats were done up about 3 months ago.The actual trouble starts 10km after Sakleshpur to about 22km.That's about 12km of bad stretch,but it's getting lesser everyday.It should hold up till the monsoons.
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:37   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Damn .
This means I will have to monitor this thread till the time I travel to get the latest update.
I'm pretty much in the same situation. Taking the road to Kuke ~April 29-30,
Tentative Plan an early morning ~4:30 start to kuke->stay @Mysore.
Day 2- Chamundi hills -> palace-> KRS
Day3 - srirangapatna->Melukote->Nagamangala->Bangalore.
Old 23rd March 2009, 06:49   #471
Senior - BHPian

Chandan from Neliady onwards it should be good then?

This is a good news....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Bangalore to Sakleshpur is in good shape.Even the Hassan bypass & Sakleshpur ghats were done up about 3 months ago.The actual trouble starts 10km after Sakleshpur to about 22km.That's about 12km of bad stretch,but it's getting lesser everyday.It should hold up till the monsoons.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:41   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, I have taken up the Shiradi challenge twice and decided not to go another time..it just becomes worse and worse.. Still i wonder when i try all these online navigation maps for shortest distance and they still show the route via shiradi(High time to build some intelligence onto these maps rather than just relying on govt provided records)
Well...distancewise B'lore-M'lore via Hassan-Shiradi is still the shortest route between the two cities. So, the online maps would definitely show the route via shiradi.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:21   #473
Senior - BHPian

My apologies for asking the same question again! But there are too many reports about the route to get one single positive answer!

I'd be travelling to Udupi from Bangalore on my bike. As I gather from this thread Shiradi & Charmadi are best avoided.

So I have singled out 2 route options :-

1. Bangalore-Madiker-Sulya-Puttur-M'lore-Udupi
For me I believe this would be the best route as I know the Bangalore-Madikeri stretch is familiar to me and have been only good stuff about the roads beyong Madikeri. So I presume this should be the fastest amongst all route and with least amounts of congestion.

2. Bangalore-Neelamangala-Channaryapatna-Hassan-Belur-<Fill in the blank>
Again have been till Hassan and the roads are pretty good till there and Belur even. What I am confused about is where to head from Belur, I have a few options in front of me :-
a) Belur-Mudigere-Hornadu-Kudremukh-Karkal(Slightly Off this)-Udupi
b) Belur-Mudigere-Koppa(Via Muthodi Sanctuary)-Tirthalli-Agumbe-Manipal-Udupi
c) Belur-Chikmagalur-Koppa(Via Muthodi Sanctuary)-Tirthalli-Agumbe-Manipal-Udupi
d) Are there any other better/faster options

This route would be longer than Route#1 for me, but then I can cover either Agumbe or Kudremukh on one day itself, and these two places are on my to-do list for this trip anyways.

Help please! I wouldnt mind riding about 50kms extra if the roads are in a better state and less congested!

Looking forward to your replies

PS: You know whats weird! Mapmyinda, Google Maps and my Eicher India Map show differing routes! Now that's confusing as hell!

Last edited by praful : 24th March 2009 at 10:23.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:29   #474
Senior - BHPian

Praful, go via Hasana - Belur - Mudigere - Kudremuka - Karkala - Udupi

This route is nice and twisty will enjoy riding, ateast i prefer these kind of roads when i ride

Just make sure you start little early you should not take more then 10-12hrs.

Last edited by lohithrao : 24th March 2009 at 10:30.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:16   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Praful, go via Hasana - Belur - Mudigere - Kudremuka - Karkala - Udupi

This route is nice and twisty will enjoy riding, ateast i prefer these kind of roads when i ride

Just make sure you start little early you should not take more then 10-12hrs.
10-12 Hours, boy that's a lot considering its less 500 kms!

I had put an estimate of about 8hrs +/- 1hr for the Madikeri route.

How is the Mudigere-Kudremukh-Karakal stretch? Is the road surface ok? Any heavy traffic?
Old 24th March 2009, 11:31   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
8 hours with a tolerance of 1 hour is achievable via Madikeri.
Hey wait a minute, did you say 'on bike'. Don't know about you
buddy, but my back is aching just by reading that.
Do let us know the timings you make.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:43   #477
Senior - BHPian

Praful,

After mudigere you have ONLY winding roads and its narrow too so youe speed will come down. the road surface is fine some stretch it would get bit less...but common long rides one needs to be ready for anything

Pervez he is riding to Udupi so need to have an hour more...

Praful you can consider via madikeri but according to me one needs atleast 10hrs.. if he is not in a hurry..

Golden rule if you are in a hurry take a flight...always safer to ride aram se

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

How is the Mudigere-Kudremukh-Karakal stretch? Is the road surface ok? Any heavy traffic?
Old 24th March 2009, 15:46   #478
Senior - BHPian

Praful which bike you planning to take ? depending on the riding comfort you would be able to cover more distance in between breaks

but considering the bad roads and low speed, if you still want to cover in 8+ hrs you need to keep an avg speed of 90-100kmph which is going to be a tough task i feel

My suggestion, dont think about the time, enjoy nature, take plenty of breaks
Old 24th March 2009, 15:46   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
8 hours with a tolerance of 1 hour is achievable via Madikeri.
Hey wait a minute, did you say 'on bike'. Don't know about you
buddy, but my back is aching just by reading that.
Do let us know the timings you make.
Thanks for the info!

Well I'm used to riding a lot so this is no biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Praful,

After mudigere you have ONLY winding roads and its narrow too so youe speed will come down. the road surface is fine some stretch it would get bit less...but common long rides one needs to be ready for anything

Pervez he is riding to Udupi so need to have an hour more...

Praful you can consider via madikeri but according to me one needs atleast 10hrs.. if he is not in a hurry..

Golden rule if you are in a hurry take a flight...always safer to ride aram se
Thanks for the piece of info man!

Quote:
Praful which bike you planning to take ? depending on the riding comfort you would be able to cover more distance in between breaks

but considering the bad roads and low speed, if you still want to cover in 8+ hrs you need to keep an avg speed of 90-100kmph which is going to be a tough task i feel

My suggestion, dont think about the time, enjoy nature, take plenty of breaks
I ride a 220, Im used to similar riding conditions/timings. Prime reason is speed up on first day is get time to explore beaches around Udupi on day1 itself.

IMHO, Blore-Madikeri is about 230 and which can be easily covered in 3 hours as the road surface is superb all the way till Kushalnagar. Post Madikeri I've never been so I'd left the rest 190 odd kms to be covered in 5 hours, which I guess would be a pretty decent time.

Last edited by praful : 24th March 2009 at 15:56.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:42   #480
Senior - BHPian

I Agree. Blore-kushal nagar road is excellent+on 220, well you can surely do it

Kushal Nagar to Madikeri distance is less but roads are narrow and bad(but on a bike you dont have to worry about potholes isnt it) as you have just two sets of wheels which can find their way

From Madikeri-sampaje, patch work was going on when i travelled in Jan again above logic applies here. From sampaje its winding roads but in good condition all the way till udupi but you can expect traffic here.

I took around 9hrs to udupi on my swift but this is with infant on board and multiple breaks totalling around 1-1:30 hrs but then i had started at 4:30 AM in the morning to beat the traffic on mysore road

Most Viewed