Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 19:08   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Especially because Charmadi ghat is closed all the traffic from there has been diverted to Shiradi. and since Shiradi is the main gateway to the coast, you can expect a lot of traffic
Thanks for your advice, I plan to leave around 3am, Is the traffic bad at that time? I am used to driving at night however I was concerned about the road condition.
Old 24th April 2009, 22:50   #602
BHPian

From Dharmasthala which is the easiest route to reach Kalasa/Horanadu.
Old 25th April 2009, 12:06   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Thanks for your advice, I plan to leave around 3am, Is the traffic bad at that time? I am used to driving at night however I was concerned about the road condition.
You shouldn't have any issues when you start at that time, but you may face some traffic of busses, (busses starting at night from MLR, UDUPI, KUNDPR,Etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
From Dharmasthala which is the easiest route to reach Kalasa/Horanadu.
2 Possible routes
1. Dharmasthala-Ujire-Guruvayankere-Naravi-Bajagoli-Kudremukha-Kalasa/Hornadu
2. Dharmasthala-Ujire-Kottigehara-Javali-Kalasa/Hornadu
I would suggest the first route
Old 25th April 2009, 12:35   #604
Senior - BHPian

Sushrutha its better he takes NH48 and later NH17, the route 1 will take longer...

IF he starts by 3Am he should be in Hassan by 6-6:30 ..so this time onwards it would easy to go through Shiradi..

So he should be easily in Mangalore by 9 - 9:30

My thoughts
Old 29th April 2009, 12:44   #605
BHPian

Help reqd:

I have to visit three temples, sringeri, hornadu & udupi. I have two days friday and sat. My accommodation is fixed at chikmagalur, since i could not get accommodation at udupi.

What is the best route plan? My place of origin is "Bangalore"

Should I do Blore - Chikmagalur - Sringeri - Chikmagalur on friday &

Do Chikmagalur - hornadu - udupi - Chiknagalur on Sat

Or should it be vice versa.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:14   #606
BHPian

I had been to Mangalore last week end. On the return journey, KSRTC Volvo came via Shiradi Ghats. Patch work has been done and the bus reached Bangalore (Goragunte Palya) at 5.00 am. Was at home by 5.40am. So, people wanting to travel to Mangalore, Shiradi is the shortest route with decent road conditions.
Old 29th April 2009, 21:33   #607
BHPian

can some advise me which is the best route to kukke,iam planning next weekend and how long will it take.Ppl say roads are really bad now......:-(
Old 30th April 2009, 09:59   #608
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion: Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - near Sullya (make sure you take correct turn there as there may be more than 1 road leading to kukke temple, ask for best road even if it is 10km extra) right turn to Kukke Subramanya Temple. Distance would be aprox. 350+km Expect 40km bumpy road.

While coming back come via Sakaleshpura (there are two routes from Kukke one via bisle and other via Bilinele (this is better route) as per I know) ask local people there who will guide you but take second feedback too as first opinion may misguide you.

hotstuff has done this route few months back and I have visited Kukke Subramanya 4 months back.

8km before Kukke subramanya while travelling from Sullya there is Anannya homestay and there are few lodges in kukke subramanya too.

Shree Kukke Subrahmanya Temple url might help you.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th April 2009 at 10:02.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:52   #609
Senior - BHPian

I was under the impression that Sakaleshpura ghats is not in a moterable condition for light vehicles. Did you manage to cross that section without any damage to your vehicle? I have been postponing my trip here because of the horrible road conditions
Old 30th April 2009, 18:25   #610
BHPian

shall work on it friends.
Old 30th April 2009, 18:34   #611
Senior - BHPian

Srini, the Shiradi ghat is very motorable now, so thats the best route as of now.
Old 30th April 2009, 18:48   #612
BHPian

thanx lohit let me plan and then confirm my trip
Old 30th April 2009, 20:59   #613
Senior - BHPian

I didn't mention in this thread that I travelled to Kukke Subramanya from Ankola and returned back to Ankola itself in Scorpio, that time shiradi ghat was in total mess. But now its very much better but again its not as good as before.

I usually avoid any bad roads in my own vehicle and I take the trip when road is in good condition and If weather is suitable

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th April 2009 at 21:00.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:28   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshyamsundar View Post
Help reqd:

I have to visit three temples, sringeri, hornadu & udupi. I have two days friday and sat. My accommodation is fixed at chikmagalur, since i could not get accommodation at udupi.

What is the best route plan? My place of origin is "Bangalore"

Should I do Blore - Chikmagalur - Sringeri - Chikmagalur on friday &

Do Chikmagalur - hornadu - udupi - Chiknagalur on Sat

Or should it be vice versa.

Many thanks in advance.
The itinerary you have planned is very complicated. If you could have taken accomodation at Udupi/Manipal, it would have been easier.

Day1:
Chikmagalur to Sringeri is nearly 90kms (via Aldur, Balehonnur). If you can leave Bangalore early in the morning (say 5 am), and reach Chikmagalur by at least 10 (including breakfast time), you can reach Sringeri by 12.30 pm. You can finish the darshan, have lunch at the temple and leave for Hornadu the same day (unless you have special pooja plans). Hornadu is around 60 kms from Sringeri and should take you max 2.5 hrs (single road). I'm not sure about the temple timings in Hornadu, but if you reach Hornadu by 5, it is about 2 to 2.5 hr drive to Chikmagalur.

You can take Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Hornadu-Kalasa-Balur-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Chikmagalur (Both roads have adequate signposts)
OR
Chikmagalur-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Hornadu-Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur

Day2: Leave Chikmagalur leisurely (by 9-9.30 am) reach Udupi by 1-1.30, visit temple, have lunch and start back to Bangalore.

There are 2 routes: Ckm-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukh-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi. Roads are good upto Balur after kottigehara. After Balur till Kalasa, the road is very rough. After kalasa, good roads till Manipal.
Ckm-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Manipal-Udupi. This route has good roads all the way till Manipal.

btw, where are you planning to stay in Chikmagalur?

Does anybody know if Charmadi ghat is open? I passed through Shiradi day before yesterday and did not see any diverted buses on this route.

Sorry if I posted this late.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by addyhemmige : 4th May 2009 at 12:36. Reason: Forgot to mention a statement
Old 4th May 2009, 13:26   #615
BHPian

Hi ,

I had been to Mangalore on 29th and returned y'day. i.e 3rd May. I started at around 5:15 PM from Concorde motors, Mysore road after filling the coolant and getting a quick general check up done for my Safari.

The unfortunate part was i was fined 300 Rs for exceeding the speed limit of 50 KMPH. I was doin 63 KMPH. These people were standing just 300 mts from before the Kengeri signal. I also observed that the police were not very strict in stopping the vehicles. They just waved nochalantly and if any vehicle stopped then it's good for them. Coz i saw many vehicles speeding well beyond 50 KMPH speed limit which is really absurd for this stretch. The irony was, I was just talking to my wife couple of mins earlier about these interceptors which other BHPians had warned in this forum .

Now to good news. I took the Mysore-road- Nice Rd- Magadi- Kunigal - Shiradi-BC road - M'lore- Suratkal. The Shiradi road has returned to its old glory. . I reached Suratkal at 11:45 PM with 30 mins break at Kamath Upachar. Except for 3-4 Kms of uneven (no pot holes though) stretch near Gundya, the rest of the road is super smooth. The other 1 Km of bad road was after Tavarekere on the way to Magadi where they are already laying a new road. So the whole 377 Kms from home -to-home is good.

One interesting thing I observed is, none of the heavy vehicles lowered their headlight beam even if u switch on to low beam but the smaller vehicles always did. I'm used to night driving for the last decade and half but somhow I felt a very high percentage of vehicles did not dim the light this time.

While returning I took the same route back. There was heavy traffic from Bellur to Kunigal and after that. It was like a big caravan. Overtaking was challenging affair. Still there were some people doing some crazy overtaking maneuver. I'm glad that I took a deviation to Magadi after Kunigal instead of going to Nelamangala. There were hardly any traffic in this stretch.
Thanks to BHPians who shared the details of this route.

Regards

Most Viewed