Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 17:45   #856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Oh man is it that scary. Any other routes to touch Madikery other than kushal nagar route.

How about entering in from the dubare / kakkabe side?
I understand this road has been closed to vehicular traffic. Please check though. On the Kushal Nagar route only last 35 Kms is bad and that you can do slowly in 1 hr.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:00   #857
BHPian

Guys, My colleague travelled from Mangalore to bangalore last weekend and he said roads are in pathetic condition. Is it true?
Am planning to drive down on the 3rd of September. Is the Shiradi ghat route good enough to tarvel or is it how it was a year ago.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:17   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I understand this road has been closed to vehicular traffic. Please check though. On the Kushal Nagar route only last 35 Kms is bad and that you can do slowly in 1 hr.
The problem with the roads approaching Madikeri is that they have turned slushy, with the constant rains, and have formed lumps, or recesses where buses and heavy vehicles pass, and the surface is still higher in between. Yes, driving slow would help. These are mainly at places where drains/mini bridges are being built.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:47   #859
Senior - BHPian

How are these roads condition-
1) hunsur - gonikoppal - siddapur - injalkeri-madikeri
2) hunsur - gonikoppal - periyambady - virajpet - kakkabe -madikeri
3) hunsur - gonikoppal - siddapur - valnoor -dubare -guddehosur -madikeri

Additionally,
Gonikoppal - hudikeri -irpu falls - Nagarahole
Nagarahole - kutta - kabini -hampapura- mysore
Madikeri - gullibedu - subramanya.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:57   #860
BHPian

Planning a trip to Mangalore in the end of September. Which route is recommended now? 1.Bangalore- Madekeri-Mangalore?
2. Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Mangalore
3. Bangalore -Belur- Charmadi - Managalore?
If they are all going to hurt - then the day train sounds attractive - 100 bucks a ticket!
Old 28th August 2009, 10:06   #861
Senior - BHPian

triedeverything, if youfew previous pages you will get a fair ideao on the road condition...

Next week i will be driving down to Mlore via Charmadi, heard it is supposed to be in a decent shape till now.

Day train, hmm sounds interesting. but am sure it takes about 12hours or more...
Old 28th August 2009, 10:44   #862
BHPian

I returned from Mangalore via Charmadi, the road is so so and not really that good, it took me all of 9.5 hours each way. From Bang upto Belur the road is excellent, Belur to Charmadi is bad lot of potholes and bad stretches, Charmadi ghat is definitely in better shape when compared to Shiradi. From Charmadi to Buntwal is so so and from Buntwal to Mangalore is horrible. I am not sure about the condition of Shiradi and Mysore Madikeri route. I had taken these two routes a few months ago and the travel was not enjoyable.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:58   #863
BHPian

I drove on the Udupi-Karkala-Guruvayanakere-Ujire-Dharmasthala-Hassan- Bangalore route last weekend. Decent road and would advise people to pick it over other options for getting to Udupi.

A big thanks to the members who told me to use this route
Old 28th August 2009, 12:29   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Belur to Charmadi is bad lot of potholes and bad stretches
Think you went by Belur - Gonibeedu - Mudigere route. Instead go all the way upto Chikmagalur and then divert towards Charmadi (KM road). Roads are lot less curvy with excellent surface.
Old 28th August 2009, 13:35   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Think you went by Belur - Gonibeedu - Mudigere route. Instead go all the way upto Chikmagalur and then divert towards Charmadi (KM road). Roads are lot less curvy with excellent surface.
Belur - Mudigere is 35 kms and so is Ckm-Mudigere.

This will add another 25 kms extra if you go to Chikmagalur from Belur.
Moreover, the KM road stretch from Ckm to Mudigere is not in great shape either and I think the Belur - Mudigere and Ckm- Mudigere are almost in same conditions.

From Mudigere you will still take the same road to Charmadi and onwards.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:01   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Moreover, the KM road stretch from Ckm to Mudigere is not in great shape either and I think the Belur - Mudigere and Ckm- Mudigere are almost in same conditions.
No way. I drove on both the stretches last weekend. CM to Mudigere is MUCH better than Belur - Mudigere. Wider road and almost no potholes.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:24   #867
BHPian

Trip to Mangalore - 21st Aug 09; return on 26th Aug 09

My family had to travel to Mangalore for Gowri Ganesha festival. The plan was to start early morning on the 21st Aug along with my brother's family. The route options were via Shiradi, Charmadi, Madikeri & Kudremukha. Based on inputs from this forum we decided to travel via Madikeri. But then called a few relatives in Mangalore who had travelled on this route recently. They mentioned that the route from Kushalnagar to Sampaje was bad and advised us to to avoid this route. So the next option was Charmadi. Again enquired about the Ujire - Belthangady - BC Road route with relatives in Belthangady and they mentioned that Ujire-Mangalore via BC Road will take minimum 4 hours and the road condition is bad. Finally, myself and my brother decided to take the Kudremukh route. Tanked up my vehicle on 20th Aug night at HP petrol pump in HBR Layout and also got the air checked. Me & my wife woke up at 3.30am, got ready, woke up my children (since we had to travel, children woke easily, otherwise very difficult to wake them up even at 7am) loaded our luggage in the vehicle, lock the house, check & re-check and finally started off at 4.55am. Brother was waiting at Hebbal flyover in his Maruti Omni. At BEL Circle took a right turn and travelled via HMT Factory to reach Tumkur Road. At Goraguntepalya, we continued on the ring road to reach Magadi Road Junction; took a right turn and continued on Magadi Road, passed Magadi town and reached NH 48 just before Kunigal at 6.30am.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-2.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-3.jpg

Stopped at Kamat Upachar-Udayapura for breakfast. Road from Kunigal to Udayapura (just after Channarayapatna) is decent. 4 laning work is going on, but may take another year to complete. Had idli vada and dosa for breakfast along with filter coffee. With everyone's stomach filled up, we continued our journey. Since it was early morning, traffic was not much and roads upto Hassan is good. Reached Hassan bypass at 9.45am. Enquired about the fastest route to go on Hassan - Belur road with people on the bypass. The Hassan bypass is in a pathetic state. Full of potholes and one has to drive slowly. Should have taken the last right turn into the city of Hassan, but by oversight took the one previous and had to endure extremely bad roads in Hassan city and extremely slow moving traffic. Finally managed to reach the diversion to Belur and the road is a pleasure to drive.

Name:  Pic 4.JPG
Views: 1120
Size:  52.9 KB

Reached Belur cross at 10.30am and look the left turn towards Mudigere. Road conditions starts to deteriorate as we progress. Road also narrows and if there is a bus or truck coming from the front, then they try to force you to go off the road. Travel speed comes down and we reach Mudigere at 11.20am.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-5.jpg

From here to Kalasa, the road condition is bad and extremely winding. Speeds cannot cross 40km and most of the time it is between 20 to 30km/hr.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-6.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-7.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-8.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-9.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-10.jpg

to be continued......
Old 28th August 2009, 16:32   #868
Senior - BHPian

Prahbhu thanks for the report/pics. yea route via kalsa is pretty tiring....now am very confused:(
Old 28th August 2009, 17:27   #869
BHPian

We reach Kalasa at 1:05 pm. Could not find a decent hotel. Did try one (not able to recollect the name), but the cleanliness was not ok and hence decided to skip lunch and continue. Looks like Hotels will not do good business in Kalasa due to Hornadu Annapoorneshwari temple. Most of the people visiting Kalasa will travel to Horanadu. With free food served to all pilgrims in Horanadu, the customers for Hotels will be very limited. The scenery around us as we drive from Kalasa to Kudremukh and from Kudremukh to Karkala was fantastic. Words cannot describe the beauty of nature during monsoon. Everyone of us enjoyed the greenery and the scenic beauty around us.

Name:  Pic 11.JPG
Views: 1414
Size:  58.5 KB

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-12.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-13.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-14.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-15.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-16.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-17.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-18.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-19.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-20.jpg

Traffic is very less on Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala route with the occasional taxi taking people to & fro from Horanadu / Sringeri. We reach Gurupura at 4.15pm and stop at Hotel Janata to eat dosa, mangalore bajji, vegetable bonda and some hot tea. With everyone's stomach filled up, we continue our journey and reach our home in Mangalore at 5.40pm. Total distance is 442 kms (door to door). Time taken is 12 hours 45 minutes with breaks accounting for 1 and 1/2 hours. Luggage is unloaded, weary limbs are stretched, I go to Shell petrol bunk at Lady Hill and top up the tank. It took in 27.5 litres giving a FE of 16.07 kms/ litre. This is the best that i have got so far in my Innova.

.....to be continued
Old 28th August 2009, 17:31   #870
Senior - BHPian

Hi Satish, Photos are worth more than thousand words
thanks for the update, i plan to go to Udupi on 17th Sept
hope the roads improve by that time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks