Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 12:20   #901
Team-BHP Support

Didn't I say this thread will get busy with the onset of monsoon? Now we are having daily commentary on this thread.

I hear the roads are seriously bad in every pass, that is Shiradi La, Charmadi La, Sampaje La, Agumbe La, la la la. But I have not heard much about Kudremukh and Balebare La. How is it there?

PS: I understand LA is not the exact description of a ghat road unlike a mountain pass. But, I am just playing on the word pass as path.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th August 2009 at 12:23.
Old 30th August 2009, 13:15   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Didn't I say this thread will get busy with the onset of monsoon? Now we are having daily commentary on this thread.

I hear the roads are seriously bad in every pass, that is Shiradi La, Charmadi La, Sampaje La, Agumbe La, la la la. But I have not heard much about Kudremukh and Balebare La. How is it there?

PS: I understand LA is not the exact description of a ghat road unlike a mountain pass. But, I am just playing on the word pass as path.
I thought you (Samurai) are Japanese
but today i learn that you are a singaporean, OK la ?

Last edited by StarVegabond : 30th August 2009 at 13:16.
Old 30th August 2009, 14:17   #903
Senior - BHPian

hehehe why u went so far..... "la" is very much used in our very own bengaluru and near by town/villages

for ex "yen la"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I thought you (Samurai) are Japanese
but today i learn that you are a singaporean, OK la ?
Old 30th August 2009, 14:29   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
hehehe why u went so far..... "la" is very much used in our very own bengaluru and near by town/villages

for ex "yen la"
Oh, Yes, my over 20 years in Maharastra has made me forget
Yen La ?, which i used to speak for first 10 years of my schooling in Karnataka.

thanks for make me remember.
Old 30th August 2009, 20:56   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ketan, am not sure about this route, anyhow i believe even you take this route you will have to touch NH48 via puttur. as per my info sampaje is not in that great condition that way it wil be a very long detour...

Puttur!!

I'm talking about Bangalore to Kukke Subramanya -- not to Mangalore exactly.

I'm going to start early morning on Sept 1, Tuesday. I want to be back to Bangalore on the same day. Can someone tell me the best route so that we can spend a couple of hours at Kukke and come back to Bangalore by evening / night?

I'm going to ride my PalioD - If you guys think it may not be a right vehicle, I may go ahead with hiring a vehicle.
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:05   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I'm going to ride my PalioD - If you guys think it may not be a right vehicle, I may go ahead with hiring a vehicle.
Thanks in advance.
Either way, you have two make a booking. Either for a cab, or for a service if you go by your own car, hehe. Suggesting you take a cab, preferrably a Sumo/Qualis.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:17   #907
Senior - BHPian

there is no road connecting Madikeri to Kukke directly!

You will have connect to NH48 via sampaje....

Quote:
Puttur!!

I'm talking about Bangalore to Kukke Subramanya -- not to Mangalore exactly.

I'm going to start early morning on Sept 1, Tuesday. I want to be back to Bangalore on the same day. Can someone tell me the best route so that we can spend a couple of hours at Kukke and come back to Bangalore by evening / night?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lohithrao : 30th August 2009 at 21:19.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:18   #908
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

are these horrornous stories true for Bangalore to Kukke as well?
Old 30th August 2009, 21:22   #909
Senior - BHPian

Just came to know that "shiradi" will be closed to vehicular traffic from 3rd onwards till 12th sep, this was published in "Uday Vani"

guess this has solved the puzzle for me, i might be taking the charmadi. but on the que of taking BC road or melkar is has no answer:(
Old 30th August 2009, 21:32   #910
Senior - BHPian

Do I still have to pass thru shiradi if I want to go to Kukke? from what I see from mapmyindia, it looks like i have to take a left somewhere after Sakleshpur, so is this left turn before I enter the shiradi ghat or after I enter the ghat? How is the road condition!! I'm talking about the following route - (this is the first time I'm heading that direction - so not much idea about the roads)

Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > Subramanya!!
Old 30th August 2009, 21:39   #911
Senior - BHPian

Yes you will have to pass through "Shiradi", soon after the ghat gets over you will a check post where you have to take left.

But as ai mentioned i my earlier post, from 3rd shiradi will be closed. this would have been the easiest road of all...

You can also go via Bisle, but here the roads are narroe and pretty rough. i guess it would be ideal to take a cab.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:51   #912
BHPian

Quote:
but on the que of taking BC road or melkar is has no answer:(
Had come by this route during the return trip. It costs an additional 10kms in terms of distance, but otherwise, roads are ok. You can avoid BC Road to Pumpwell route if you wish so, as the 4 lane work will leave you quite confused. I ended up driving on wrong sides of the road, at times, but was saved because it was too early in the morning to cause traffic hazard, hehe.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:53   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do I still have to pass thru shiradi if I want to go to Kukke? from what I see from mapmyindia, it looks like i have to take a left somewhere after Sakleshpur, so is this left turn before I enter the shiradi ghat or after I enter the ghat? How is the road condition!! I'm talking about the following route - (this is the first time I'm heading that direction - so not much idea about the roads)

Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > Subramanya!!
From Sakleshpur, you have 2 routes to Kukke. One via Gundya (Shiradi ghat), which is the normal route taken and the second is via Bisle. Both roads are in pretty bad condition. I guess you might have heard about Shiradi by now. Bisle, as lohith has written, is very narrow. Just watch out for timber lorries. But the landscape is very very good. It is a very scenic route.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:57   #914
Senior - BHPian

aaddy, aslo those cab amd min vans they are a real pain and also i enjoy this route on my bull better
Old 30th August 2009, 22:17   #915
BHPian

I am planing to go to Madikeri (coorg) from Udupi and from there head to Wayanad in mid October. Could some one guide me on the route to be followed

Most Viewed