Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 22:21   #916
Senior - BHPian

So, just thinking about the bisle route, are the shoulders are as bad as one you see from Masinagudi to Ooty foothills?

What I read from the other thread (however it was old) that all the way till sakleshpur the roads are very good. only around 35 KMs after sakleshpur (now if I go via Bisle, I may add extra 25KMs) is a bad patch.. if rest of the road is good, (except 35-50Kms) for this 300KMs trip, I was thinking to make it in my own vehicle itself. Going to set up satguide with some waypoints on this route, in case it comes handy.

My target is to leave Bangalore as early as possible in the morning, 2-3 hours at Kukke and be back to Bangalore by the time it gets dark.

Last edited by Ketan : 30th August 2009 at 22:22.
Old 30th August 2009, 22:39   #917
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to leave for Kukke Tuesday (Sept 1). Is this route

Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > Subramanya!!

still holds good?
Is that the best route? I understand I can take Bisle route from Sakleshpur insted Gundya (which may be extra 25KMs), but both the routes are equally bad except Bisle route will be lil more scenic.
any ideas?
Old 31st August 2009, 00:18   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Individual opinions may vary.
I drove late at night both ways so traffic was no issue. Fell into a few big ones on Belur - Mudigere road at decent speeds and that might have biased my opinion. But as you said, your mileage may vary, after all it's a choice between a rock and a hard place .
Old 31st August 2009, 00:30   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I have a query on the Belur-Aldur route (to avoid going through Chikmagalore). How to proceed after Belur and any idea of the recent conditions of that route?
Once you reach Belur, take the left turn (almost a U) at the petrol pump towards the temple. Bare right at the circle near the bus stand for Mudigere. From then on, just follow the excellent yellow road signs put up by Karnataka tourism for Kalasa/Kudremukh to reach Mudigere. Turn right at Mudigere towards Chikmagalur till Aldur.

Roads are just about drivable. Keep your eyes peeled for those sudden clusters of potholes and unruly buses and vans.
Old 31st August 2009, 01:09   #920
Senior - BHPian

Another route that came to my mind for Bangalore <> Subramanya, let me know if its a better choice compared to shiradi ghat.

1>> Bangalore > Kunigal > Chennarayapatana > HoleNarsipur > Arkalgud > Bisle > Kukke Subramanya
2>> Bangalore > Srirangapattana > HoleNarsipur > Arkalgud > Bisle > Kukke Subramanya

Has anyone tried any of these routes! how bad it is compared to the one goes thru shiradi ghat?

Last edited by Ketan : 31st August 2009 at 01:11.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:38   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Just came to know that "shiradi" will be closed to vehicular traffic from 3rd onwards till 12th sep, this was published in "Uday Vani"

guess this has solved the puzzle for me, i might be taking the charmadi. but on the que of taking BC road or melkar is has no answer:(
Hey lohith. Are you sure? I was thinking of taking this route
Old 31st August 2009, 09:07   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
I am planing to go to Madikeri (coorg) from Udupi and from there head to Wayanad in mid October. Could some one guide me on the route to be followed
Hi, continue driving along NH17, and as you bypass Mangalore, you'll come across a large junction, called Pumpwell(Mahaveer) Circle. Take a left here, and this highway is NH48. Continue driving along the Bangalore route. You'll pass though the following towns: BC Road (drive straight past the junction here), Melkar, Kalladka and finally Mani (pronounced as Maani). At Mani, take the right turn/fork towards Puttur, Sullia, Sampaje, and Madikeri.
Hope this helps. For the distances, i think it best to refer to the Yahoo/Google maps, looking for these towns.
Hope it helps.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:14   #923
Senior - BHPian

zteg, yes my friend, thats what atleast the paper says...you can try your luck if they dont allow then just before the sakleshpur town you have a road connecting charmadi. this road is not in that great shape but managable....i must say its very scenic

For now i think i will take charmadi...
Old 31st August 2009, 09:16   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Just came to know that "shiradi" will be closed to vehicular traffic from 3rd onwards till 12th sep
TOI also carried the story today. From Mangalore, Bangalore bound traffic will be diverted via Madikeri and Hassan bound traffic through Charmadi. Man! looks like we'll have to keep aside 12 hours for all trips to the farther side of the Ghats .
Old 31st August 2009, 09:21   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
TOI also carried the story today. From Mangalore, Bangalore bound traffic will be diverted via Madikeri and Hassan bound traffic through Charmadi. Man! looks like we'll have to keep aside 12 hours for all trips to the farther side of the Ghats .
in this case the traffic is going to be bad on both the routes:( will CHarmadi be idea if the traffic is average or more?
Old 31st August 2009, 09:40   #926
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Shiradi is closed again, but this time it is not the bad road, but many areas are found to be land slide prone. Thanks to railways for the new day train, but does not add value for our drive freaks
Old 31st August 2009, 09:40   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in this case the traffic is going to be bad on both the routes:( will CHarmadi be idea if the traffic is average or more?
HI Lohit, If you are going to Udupi and beyond, it is better to go via Agumbe where the traffic would be lesser as no big trucks, tankers, busses ply on that route. In my view even if one is goign to Mangalore dusing next couple of weeks, it is better go via Agumbe as Udupi-Mangalore road seems to be in better condition than from BC Road-Mangalore.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:44   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Hey lohith. Are you sure? I was thinking of taking this route
I saw this article in yesterday's Udayavani e-paper. The article says that this closure is to repair the landslides that have occured on the ghats and also to repair the areas which are prone to landslides. No mention though of repairing another important part of the ghat section - road!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But I have not heard much about Kudremukh and Balebare La. How is it there?
I travelled on the Kudremukh road on 21st Aug 09. Road on the Belur - Mudigere stretch is ok, but Mudigere to Kalasa is bad. Slows you down considerably. Kalasa onwards till Mangalore is good. I have posted a few pics of this route in my previous post.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:54   #929
Senior - BHPian

Lohit is right, I see that mention on some of the newspapers (got it from IH).

The Hindu : Karnataka News : Shiradi ghat to be closed for traffic

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so this may not be a problem for me. Again, its closed from Gundya checkpost - I guess I have to take left from that point itself for Kukke - i hope I shouldnt have a problem here. Apart from the following routes, I'm now considering charmadi ghat route as well. may be thats a best possible at this time of year - I may have to leave early coz I'm going to spend more time than expected, moreover this is going to be the most scenic route as well it seems.

1. Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > turn left at Gundya > Kukke Subramanya!! (I understand that ghat section after Sakleshpur is in bad shape, has anyone travelled this recently?)
2. Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > turn left towards Bisle and don’t continue towards Gundya > Bisle forest area > Kukke Subramanya ( I heard that this Bisle route is equally bad but scenic and may be less traffic, can someone confirm on this please?)
3. Bangalore > Kunigal > Chennarayapatana > HoleNarsipur > Arkalgud > Bisle > Kukke Subramanya (I heard Bangaore to CPatana is in very good shape, but not sure about HNarsipur route, has anyone tried that?)
4. Bangalore > Srirangapattana > HoleNarsipur > Arkalgud > Bisle > Kukke Subramanya (this is again H.Narsipur route via Mysore Rd. – how about this compared to above one?)

Newly added:

5. Bangalore > Kunigal > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Belur > Mudigere > charmadi ghat > Ujire > Kukke Subramanya

Last edited by Ketan : 31st August 2009 at 10:01.
Old 31st August 2009, 10:05   #930
Senior - BHPian

Ketan, if you are going tomorrow take the shiradi, on the road condition "Prabhu'" had traveled last week and has posted the pics. its very much doable on a Palio.

This is the best route if you are planning to keep the trip short.

Most Viewed