Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 10:07   #931
Senior - BHPian

Star, i will be going to Mangalore, The route via will be too long isnt it?

While am also considering to go via kudremukha, Prabhu approx about 30kms is bad right?
Old 31st August 2009, 10:37   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
zteg, yes my friend, thats what atleast the paper says...you can try your luck if they dont allow then just before the sakleshpur town you have a road connecting charmadi. this road is not in that great shape but managable....i must say its very scenic

For now i think i will take charmadi...

Guess I have to take the same route. So which one are you going to take and around what time are you starting from Bangalore?

Same story every year man. Road closed for over 3 months. They add another 5 inches of tar on the existing surface. It goes off the next monsoon. Same sold story.
Old 31st August 2009, 10:43   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ketan, if you are going tomorrow take the shiradi, on the road condition "Prabhu'" had traveled last week and has posted the pics. its very much doable on a Palio.

This is the best route if you are planning to keep the trip short.
Okay, I'll take that same old route (hope I dont face much bad roads) and now going to open an option where I can hire a cab (sad that I'm prssed with time and going to miss an opportunity for driving these ghats :( )
I shall post you guys an update about the condition once I'm back.
Old 31st August 2009, 10:47   #934
Senior - BHPian

heheh zteg, i will start from home by 6 i,e from Marathalli i shoudl be in Nelmangala by 7. that is if i dont get stck in traffic. i will be taking ORR to connect to Peenya road...
i think there is a train passing by around 5:45 so there is a huge truck traffic near the railway crossing...

btw when you are back? i will be mostly back on sunday
Old 31st August 2009, 11:37   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Okay, I shall post you guys an update about the condition once I'm back.
Quote:
he
i think there is a train passing by around 5:45 so there is a huge truck traffic near the railway crossing...

btw when you are back? i will be mostly back on sunday
@ketan. When will you be back? Kindly give me a short update by wednesday.

@lohith. I will be back the next thursday. Will be driving back on wednesday. It is my brother's engagement. That is why I have to reach home as early as possible. Lot of shopping to be done
Old 31st August 2009, 11:37   #936
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
I am planing to go to Madikeri (coorg) from Udupi and from there head to Wayanad in mid October. Could some one guide me on the route to be followed
Hi, continue driving along NH17, and as you bypass Mangalore, you'll come across a large junction, called Pumpwell(Mahaveer) Circle. Take a left here, and this highway is NH48. Continue driving along the Bangalore route. You'll pass though the following towns: BC Road (drive straight past the junction here), Melkar, Kalladka and finally Mani (pronounced as Maani). At Mani, take the right turn/fork towards Puttur, Sullia, Sampaje, and Madikeri.
Hope this helps. For the distances, i think it best to refer to the Yahoo/Google maps, looking for these towns.
Hope it helps.
As of now you should suggest this route only to your arch enemies. This would be a very bad idea now.

Here is the best way to travel from Udupi to Madikeri, and it is 20kms shorter too.

Udupi-Manipal-Karkala-Moodubidri-Bantwal-join NH48-Mani-Puttur-Sullia-Sampaje-Madikeri.

The NH48 between B.C road and Mangalore and then NH17 between Mangalore and Udupi is so bad, it will blow your mind. Just avoid it.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:01   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I have a query on the Belur-Aldur route (to avoid going through Chikmagalore). How to proceed after Belur and any idea of the recent conditions of that route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Once you reach Belur, take the left turn (almost a U) at the petrol pump towards the temple. Bare right at the circle near the bus stand for Mudigere. From then on, just follow the excellent yellow road signs put up by Karnataka tourism for Kalasa/Kudremukh to reach Mudigere. Turn right at Mudigere towards Chikmagalur till Aldur.

Roads are just about drivable. Keep your eyes peeled for those sudden clusters of potholes and unruly buses and vans.
Nopes, this road will turn out to more longer than avoiding CKM.
The best route is to Avoid CKM from Belur - Aldur is as follows
Belur - After busstand (300mts) take right(ambedkar statue), if you go straight you'll reach mudigere Via Cheekanahally.
Don't go straight, take right, Route is as follows
Belur - Gendehally - Baskal(Bus stop, take right) - Haandhi, Once you reach Haandhi, keep going straight, just after the small pond straight road leads to mudigere, take right, Gullanpete - Aldur
Whole route is single lane, with not much potholes. after haandhi it's double lane road.
With this route one can certainly save around 10 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati
Mileage of 15.03kmpl
Wow, thats a very good mileage in Innova and that too in such a road condition is EXCELLENT.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:03   #938
Senior - BHPian

In this case i wont even think of going via BC road, since its coming from a person who owns both SUV and a Jeep

Melkar is the option or Will go by Kudremukha..Karkala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As of now you should suggest this route only to your arch enemies. This would be a very bad idea now.

Here is the best way to travel from Udupi to Madikeri, and it is 20kms shorter too.

Udupi-Manipal-Karkala-Moodubidri-Bantwal-join NH48-Mani-Puttur-Sullia-Sampaje-Madikeri.

The NH48 between B.C road and Mangalore and then NH17 between Mangalore and Udupi is so bad, it will blow your mind. Just avoid it.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:12   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Belur - After busstand (300mts) take right(ambedkar statue), if you go straight you'll reach mudigere Via Cheekanahally.
Belur - Gendehally - Baskal(Bus stop, take right) - Haandhi, Once you reach Haandhi, keep going straight, just after the small pond straight road leads to mudigere, take right, Gullanpete - Aldur
Whole route is single lane, with not much potholes. after haandhi it's double lane road.
Thanks Sushrutha, this route seems to be a lot shorter . Are these roads marked? am I likely to get lost if it is late at night with nobody on the road to ask for directions? Or is it safer to stick to the main road and go via CM after all?
Old 31st August 2009, 12:19   #940
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Thank you sushrutha and bullinb, for the detailed directions. Will take the route suggested by sushrutha. I have plans to drive to Sringeri in near future, hence was asking about this route. I think apart from the 10km saved, avoiding the CKM town saves some time too.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:28   #941
BHPian

Quote:

1. Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > turn left at Gundya > Kukke Subramanya!! (I understand that ghat section after Sakleshpur is in bad shape, has anyone travelled this recently?)
Ketan,
Please see the pictures of Shiradi Ghat posted by me in post #859 & #862. I travelled Mangalore - Bangalore on 26th Aug 09.

Quote:
Star, i will be going to Mangalore, The route via will be too long isnt it?

While am also considering to go via kudremukha, Prabhu approx about 30kms is bad right?
If travelling to Mangalore, travel via Agumbe will be too long.

Mudigere to Kalasa is 40 kms. This is the stretch that will take a long time. I took 1hour 45 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Same story every year man. Road closed for over 3 months. They add another 5 inches of tar on the existing surface. It goes off the next monsoon. Same sold story.
This time they are planning to concretise the entire Shiradi Ghat stretch. Hope that the concrete does not get washed away in the monsoons. If it does, it will probably the first instance ever

Quote:
i will be taking ORR to connect to Peenya road...
Do not take this road. One more railway crossing has been added on this route (making it 2 railway crossings one after the other within a space of 100 feet) and is a sure time waster. Take right at BEL circle and take the HMT factory road to reach Tumkur road just before the ORR signal. Then you have the option of reaching NH48 via Nelamangala or via Magadi road.

Quote:
Wow, thats a very good mileage in Innova and that too in such a road condition is EXCELLENT.
I never drove beyond 80kms speed on this trip. I think this is the main reason for the FE. This speed cap was also forced in a way; my brother was travelling with me in this Maruti Omni.
Old 31st August 2009, 13:30   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post

This time they are planning to concretise the entire Shiradi Ghat stretch. Hope that the concrete does not get washed away in the monsoons. If it does, it will probably the first instance ever

They have been planning this for over a year now. I guess a part is it already concrete. Somewhere close to sakleshpur. How effective is concrete going to be on the ghat section. What about the road grip??
Old 31st August 2009, 13:43   #943
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mohan41;1458519]
Quote:

Thank you sushrutha and bullinb, for the detailed directions. Will take the route suggested by sushrutha. I have plans to drive to Sringeri in near future, hence was asking about this route. I think apart from the 10km saved, avoiding the CKM town saves some time too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Thanks Sushrutha, this route seems to be a lot shorter . Are these roads marked? am I likely to get lost if it is late at night with nobody on the road to ask for directions? Or is it safer to stick to the main road and go via CM after all?
It will be better to take the Belur-Ckm-Aldur road instead of Belur-Gendehally-Haandi-Aldur road. Even though it is shorter, the road is pretty rough and it is a single lane road and you will consume more time. The Belur-Ckm-Aldur road is wide and pretty straight forward and you can do good speeds in your car which will save time. Entering CKM town is not at all an issue and you won't lose any time here. I'm sure Sushrutha will agree here

Bull, if you have not been on that route earlier, I suggest not to try it at night.

Quote:
Lohit is right, I see that mention on some of the newspapers (got it from IH).

The Hindu : Karnataka News : Shiradi ghat to be closed for traffic

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so this may not be a problem for me. Again, its closed from Gundya checkpost - I guess I have to take left from that point itself for Kukke - i hope I shouldnt have a problem here. Apart from the following routes, I'm now considering charmadi ghat route as well. may be thats a best possible at this time of year - I may have to leave early coz I'm going to spend more time than expected, moreover this is going to be the most scenic route as well it seems.

1. Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > turn left at Gundya > Kukke Subramanya!! (I understand that ghat section after Sakleshpur is in bad shape, has anyone travelled this recently?)
2. Bangalore > Kunigal > Belluru > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Sakleshpur > turn left towards Bisle and don’t continue towards Gundya > Bisle forest area > Kukke Subramanya ( I heard that this Bisle route is equally bad but scenic and may be less traffic, can someone confirm on this please?)
3. Bangalore > Kunigal > Chennarayapatana > HoleNarsipur > Arkalgud > Bisle > Kukke Subramanya (I heard Bangaore to CPatana is in very good shape, but not sure about HNarsipur route, has anyone tried that?)
4. Bangalore > Srirangapattana > HoleNarsipur > Arkalgud > Bisle > Kukke Subramanya (this is again H.Narsipur route via Mysore Rd. – how about this compared to above one?)

Newly added:

5. Bangalore > Kunigal > Chennarayapatna > Hasan > Belur > Mudigere > charmadi ghat > Ujire > Kukke Subramanya
Since yours is a one day program, I suggest you take Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-Channarayapatna-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Bisle-Kukke Subramanya route.

Hassan district border comes in between Sakleshpur & Gundya checkpost. So, confirm it near Donigal (the place where the Bisle road & Shiradi ghat road bifurcate) and then move ahead. You can also visit Manjarabad fort in Donigal.

Expect some traffic on this road if the Shiradi ghat is blocked, otherwise you may encounter only a few cars. This route is very scenic. You will find a view point somewhere in the ghats after Bisle village. You can see hill ranges of 3 districts from there (Hassan, Dakshina Kannada & Coorg)

Regarding the other routes, it is not worth going to Srirangapatna & then going to Holenarsipur & Arkalgud. Roads are not at all good and it is very far. Most of the time you will be driving on single lane roads. Even Charmadi-Ujire is a big roundabout.
Old 31st August 2009, 13:46   #944
Senior - BHPian

My Travel Plan : 18th Sept Bangalore - Udupi

For my travel on 18th Sept, i intend to follow the below route

Yelahanka - Nelamangala (34) - Kunigal (79) - Chennarayapatna (156) - Hassan BP - Belur BP (231) - Adlur - Agumbe (357) - Hebri (377) - Bramhavar NH17 (412)

Total works our 412 KMs , numbers in bracket is the distance from origin. As per google maps, this distance can be covered in less than 8 hours.

previously i have driven Yelahanka -Belur. Also from Bhramhavar - Hebri - Agumbe sector. Is Belur BP to Agumbe doable as of now ? Has anyone travelled this road before ?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Yelahanka-Udipu.bmp (408.7 KB, 991 views)

Last edited by StarVegabond : 31st August 2009 at 13:53.
Old 31st August 2009, 14:23   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
They have been planning this for over a year now. I guess a part is it already concrete. Somewhere close to sakleshpur. How effective is concrete going to be on the ghat section. What about the road grip??
13 critical curves in the Shiradi Ghat have been concretised. Among these a few have a layer of bitumen with particles added for increasing road grip.

Regarding concretising the entire stretch of Shiradi Ghat, it was announced recently in the newspapers that the 115 crore project has been approved by the Central government and work will start from Nov 09.

Most Viewed