Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 13:42   #1036
BHPian

Horrible days are ahead

From November onwards, Shiradi Ghat will be closed for 7 months.( But it will take more than a year!) Charmadi Ghat will take the beatings (already in pathetic condition )and Bullet tankers will spoil life in Mani-Mysore stretch.
Old 12th September 2009, 14:22   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Yes Prabhu this news is doing rounds for a while now, yes hoping this road is done and also from Gundya to mangalore the condition needs to improve...
Old 12th September 2009, 14:26   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Yes true, last week when i was on my way back to Bangalore, did encounter many tankers zipping down the hill and since the roads are not that wide. if the tanker takes more space the vehicle on the opposite direction has down and in many places there is huge difference in height of the road to the sides so none of the cars can get down...

this is the same case with the buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
From November onwards, Shiradi Ghat will be closed for 7 months.( But it will take more than a year!) Charmadi Ghat will take the beatings (already in pathetic condition )and Bullet tankers will spoil life in Mani-Mysore stretch.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:21   #1039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
From November onwards, Shiradi Ghat will be closed for 7 months.
And pigs will fly... The Shiradi ghat was supposed to be closed between Sept 3rd to 12th. But what really happened? I found it opened for vehicles from both sides, more like half opened, but still open. Local politicians and mine lords will ensure it will be unofficially open.

BTW, if anybody like to see the state of Bisle ghat, you can see it here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...isle-ghat.html (Monsoon Offroading/Trail-driving in Sakleshpur and Bisle Ghat)

It is a good detour to travel between Sakleshpur and Gundya if you drive a SUV.
Old 12th September 2009, 21:57   #1040
BHPian

Hi friends,

Although I have been visiting the Team-BHP site for an year or so, I only applied recently and to my joy had my registration approved a few days ago. Please
refer to my thread ‘Relectant Roameo’ in ‘ Introduce yourself’.

I have been following this marathon thread and it seems there are as many routes to Udupi and Mangalore as there are many routes to reach God. I can see this thread going on till eternity as every year poses new challenges...and opportunities,

My parents stay in Udupi and I visit them them at least 4 times a year. I intend trying all the routes at one point or the other as they will have their own varying experiences en route which is what I am looking forward to.

In Nov08 I drove with my family from Bangalore to Udupi via the Charmadi ghats.
The roads were ok and we thoroughly enjoyed this very scenic drive. We returned via Madirkeri. The Kushalnagar highway was fun to speed on.

The Shiradi being now closed and the route after Kalsasa caving in, I intend taking the following route some of you guys have proposed:

Bangalore-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Birur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Hebri-Manipal-Udupi.

I any of you have travelled this route in the past week or so, please let me know your experience.

I have all the time in the world. Getting to the destination is important. Enjoying the journey is equally important. I would like to enjoy local flavours on the way. Do let me
know if you know any good food joints on the way. I would be leaving Bangalure at about 5.30 am. Where could I stop of breakfast and lunch? I plan to break journey at Shimoga and spend the next day visiting the Jog falls. Is there An economical hotel or home stay aound here?

Second stop would be at Agumbe at Doddamane ( Kasturi akka’s place).and spend a day enjoying the scenic beauty around . Then proceed to Udupi.

Wife and son are really exited about this journey. Do help me out with your expereince and suggestions.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th September 2009 at 22:06. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 19:29   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Latest updates, Shiradi is opened for traffic again and all the heavy vehicles and buses have been asked to take this route. can anyone confirm on this?
Old 15th September 2009, 19:35   #1042
Senior - BHPian

This is slightly OT, during my last vist to Mangalore. my car consumed about 3700Rs of Petrol(SHell Premium 53Rs) thats is about 70ltrs..

40 % of AC usage..lots of traffic...loads of bad stretches and some high speed

I want to know from Swift Diesel/Palio Diesel owners or Safari owners that how much fuel does their vehicles consume?
Old 15th September 2009, 20:02   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I want to know from Swift Diesel/Palio Diesel owners or Safari owners that how much fuel does their vehicles consume?
S gulped down 26.8 litres of D for 385kms , during my last onward trip, and with AC. Works to about Rs.984/-. Not measured the fuel consumed during return trip, yet. If not anything, satisfied for the sole reason that the cost works out nearly the same as the Airavat, in fact a shade less too .
Old 15th September 2009, 20:36   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roameo View Post
Hi friends,

The Shiradi being now closed and the route after Kalsasa caving in, I intend taking the following route some of you guys have proposed:

Bangalore-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Birur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Hebri-Manipal-Udupi.

I any of you have travelled this route in the past week or so, please let me know your experience.
You might know this already: Avoid Tumkur Road till Nelamangala. If you are in south bangalore go through Mysore road or Magadi Road, then take NICE road towards Tumkur Road. If you are in north bangalore you can go through Yelahanka-Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet route. My parents went via this route a few weeks back and it was good.
Old 15th September 2009, 21:24   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info Kamath, was checking Kishore and his Safari too consumed almost same amount but this was when the roads were good.

Btw the total distance i had covered is about 950kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
S gulped down 26.8 litres of D for 385kms , during my last onward trip, and with AC. Works to about Rs.984/-. Not measured the fuel consumed during return trip, yet. If not anything, satisfied for the sole reason that the cost works out nearly the same as the Airavat, in fact a shade less too .
Old 16th September 2009, 11:07   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roameo View Post
I would be leaving Bangalure at about 5.30 am. Where could I stop of breakfast and lunch? I plan to break journey at Shimoga and spend the next day visiting the Jog falls. Is there An economical hotel or home stay aound here?
If you leave Bangalore by 5.30AM, almost by 11Am you'll be there in Shimoga itself.
Breakfast options - Cafe Coffeday after Dobbespet/Kamath upachar You'll be in this place by 7 7.30 AM.
Pavitra Idly hotel @ tumkur. Priya hotel @ Birur.
I would suggest you to stay @ Hotel Jewel Rock @ Shimoga.
It's an economical Hotel + a decent hotel in Shimoga. ( Price starts from 600Rs).
For lunch you can try Kanishka , ground floor of Jewel Rock.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:15   #1047
BANNED

Hi,
This is slightly off topic
I m riding from Bangalore to Gokarna on the 26th instant. I need to pickup a friend from the airport at 1900Hrs and then we will begin the ride.
How long do you people think it will take to reach Gokarna and what would be the best route in terms of road condition and the distance.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:29   #1048
Senior - BHPian

devdath, when you say "riding" i guess going by bike

Anyhow few years back i had taken about 10hrs on my bike(RE)...

Tumkur -Shimoga - Honnavara - Gokarna

Last edited by lohithrao : 16th September 2009 at 11:30.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:33   #1049
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
devdath, when you say "riding" i guess going by bike

Anyhow few years back i had taken about 10hrs on my bike(RE)...

Tumkur -Shimoga - Honnavara - Gokarna

Yes, I m biking there. Any idea of the current road conditions??
Old 16th September 2009, 11:53   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi,
This is slightly off topic
I m riding from Bangalore to Gokarna on the 26th instant. I need to pickup a friend from the airport at 1900Hrs and then we will begin the ride.
How long do you people think it will take to reach Gokarna and what would be the best route in terms of road condition and the distance.
Best route from BIAL to tumkur would be,
BIAL-YELAHANKA-DOBBESPET-TUMKUR.
Please get in touch with member - lukeskywalker for the exact road condition/route.
This route would save you around 1.5hrs of travel time when you compare with the route taken thru BLR City(BIAL-HEBBAL-YESWNTPUR-NELMNGL-DOBSPET).
Road condition is Good till Gokarna, But be very careful abt the sudden humps from Tumkur- Tiptur/Arasikere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks