Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 09:48   #1066
BHPian

Thanks lohit for correcting.

Heard a news that Karnataka govt. is going to spend some 10 crore to make the Mangalore Udupi stretch motorable, and making it concrete is also on the cards as a long term project.

I guess NH17 as a whole needs a lot more importance than is given by the authorities.
Old 20th September 2009, 10:53   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Kishore this drama is going on for about 4-5years+, i guess when the mining trucks descended on these roads, it started to leave a bad scar but along with it the shabby road work led to such bad state..
Old 20th September 2009, 12:19   #1068
BHPian

Hi, I will be traveling to Bangalore-Puttur & back during 26th & 28th long weekend.
Right now plan is to go via Mysore-Madikeri-Puttur. Will be traveling with family and driving my New Corolla Altis. Anyone traveling this road during 19 - 21st weekend, let me know the condition! With rains and HTVs on this road would be really distroyers of this stretch!
Gany
Old 20th September 2009, 12:47   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Gany, dont worry this road is in fair shape and youe new Altis wi\ont have t complain much...just that Kushalnagar till Sampaje ghat ends the road gets a bit bad...
Old 20th September 2009, 12:59   #1070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Kishore, Firstly its "Shiradi" ghats if you take this rouyte you will have loads of bad patches to go through not sure how your Fabia behave... BC road to Udupi there are quieta few bad patches..
To travel from BC road to Udupi, one should only consider Bantwala-Moodubidri-Karkala-Manipal route. It is not only good, but 20Kms shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
Heard a news that Karnataka govt. is going to spend some 10 crore to make the Mangalore Udupi stretch motorable, and making it concrete is also on the cards as a long term project.
Most of the mines are collectively owned by the ministers of Karnataka government, rest by the opposition party members. No matter how many times the roads are built, the mine trucks will be allowed to destroy it. So who is saving us from whom?

The mine trucks carry 2-3 times the allowed lmits, so they will destroy any highway built for normal traffic.
Old 20th September 2009, 22:24   #1071
BHPian

I need to travel to Nagamangala day after tomorrow. Can someone tell me the best route to Nagamangala from Bangalore? From the map I see that going on the Hassan road and taking the deviation seems to the best way. I have another map which shows a route from Magadi directly to Nagamangala. Does such a route exist? How is it?

Any help / suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Old 20th September 2009, 23:45   #1072
BHPian

Suresh, I was not sure of the location of Nagamangala, but found it in Google. My google map search shows only one National Highway (NH48) passing close by.

I can see two road options for your travel.

1. Bangalore - Nelamangala (NH4) - take left to NH48 - towards Hassan - Kunigal - Nalligere - take left on SH19 toward Nagamangala

Problem with this one is there is always traffic jam on NH4 till Nelamangala. So if you are taking this route try to head out early in the morning or very late in the evening. Also the NICE road will let you join NH4 quite closer to Nelamangala but it is tolled.

There is 4 laning work going on in NH4 also, but you'll be OK if you drive in daylight.

2. Bangalore - (Mysore Road) SH17 - Kengeri - Ramnagara - Channapatna - Maddur - (take right to Koppa/Devalapura/Nagamangala)

This one will be a much better route as Mysore road is still in a very good condition. You can use NICE road again to let you join Mysore Road just beyond the city traffic jams. Also make sure not to mix up the right turn at Maddur, as Maddur has several connections. Take the second right from Maddur, the first one goes to Kunigal.

I would recommend the second options,as the roads are good and your drive will be much relaxed. The distance probably will be only a few KMs more.

Have a pleasant drive.
Old 21st September 2009, 09:37   #1073
BHPian

Hi Kishore,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking that if I were to go via Magadi and join NH 48 near Kunigal, will the Hassan route be easier to reach Nagamangala? Has someone gone this way recently. As you rightly said, the 4 laning is on and I read a recent post saying that some parts of it have been completed.

Mysore Road is definitely an option since the plan is also to visit Melkote but for some reason we are supposed to go to Nagamangala first and then to Melkote. So my plan is to go via the Hassan Rd to Nagamangala and then come down to Melkote and come back via the Mysore Rd.

Anyone knows about the status of the roads between Nagamangala and Melkote?
Old 21st September 2009, 09:55   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sharath for that info..

btw from Mangalore, i think if we take Padubidri - Karakal - Udupi this might work out better aswell right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
To travel from BC road to Udupi, one should only consider Bantwala-Moodubidri-Karkala-Manipal route. It is not only good, but 20Kms shorter.

Most of the mines are collectively owned by the ministers of Karnataka government, rest by the opposition party members. No matter how many times the roads are built, the mine trucks will be allowed to destroy it. So who is saving us from whom?

The mine trucks carry 2-3 times the allowed lmits, so they will destroy any highway built for normal traffic.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:29   #1075
BHPian

Suresh, I will be able to give you an update after next week. I'll be doing a Bangalore Mangalore on 2nd Oct weekend.

In my experience the State Highways are mostly in good condition in Karnataka and always better than the National Highways.

Did Kunigal - Maddur in June and the road was excellent. Nalligere - Nagamangala - Melkote - Srirangapatna (SH19) should be good too. Still watch out, the recent rain might have degraded some sections of the road.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:41   #1076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
btw from Mangalore, i think if we take Padubidri - Karakal - Udupi this might work out better aswell right?
Oh, no, no! Remember the term "Konkana Suthi Mylara"? Besides, you gain nothing. The real bad stretch is between Mulki to a little beyond Padubidri. After that, the NH17 is quite decent until Kalyanpura.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:43   #1077
BHPian

Thanks Kishore. I am off tomorrow. Will probably take the Kunigal route on the to and Mysore road on the fro
Old 21st September 2009, 11:07   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureshS View Post
I need to travel to Nagamangala day after tomorrow. Can someone tell me the best route to Nagamangala from Bangalore? From the map I see that going on the Hassan road and taking the deviation seems to the best way. I have another map which shows a route from Magadi directly to Nagamangala. Does such a route exist? How is it?

Any help / suggestion will be highly appreciated.
The shortest route from Bangalore to Nagamangala is via Magadi-Huliyurdurga. You have excellent roads till Magadi. I do not know about conditions from Magadi-Huliyurdurga-Nagamangala.

Magadi is almost half-way to Nagamangala. I suggest you enquire near Kalya gate (just after Magadi town where the road branches towards Kunigal & Huliyurdurga respectively) about the road conditions to Huliyurdurga-Nagamangala. If you do not find a suitable answer, just move towards Kunigal, join NH-48 and take a left at Bellur cross. This will be the fastest way.

I think going via Maddur will be far. Your 1st plan was good. Bangalore-Kunigal-Yediyur-Nagamangala-Melkote-Mandya-Bangalore is feasible.

It also depends on which part of Bangalore you live in. If you are from the north, better to take the Nelamangala-Kunigal road, if you are from the south I guess you would be inclined to take Mysore road.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:04   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The shortest route from Bangalore to Nagamangala is via Magadi-Huliyurdurga. You have excellent roads till Magadi.
Addy apart from it, the other possible route is
BLR-MAGADI-KUNIGAL-BELLUR CROSS-NAGAMANGALA.(Just after bellur cross toll gate , Take left)
Though it might be slightly longer, but good road.

Last edited by sushrutha : 21st September 2009 at 12:05.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:26   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, no, no! Remember the term "Konkana Suthi Mylara"? Besides, you gain nothing. The real bad stretch is between Mulki to a little beyond Padubidri. After that, the NH17 is quite decent until Kalyanpura.
A big + 1 to that.
I was in Kundapur a couple of weeks back and had to travel to Udipi and Mangalore. The roads from Bramavar to Udipi and from Padubidri to Mulki are horrible. I would say there are no roads at all. I really felt pity for the bus I was travelling in as it was nearly a brand new bus (three months old) and the driver was just blasting thru the potholes to keep his time and reach Udipi on his time slot to pick passengers for Mangalore.
On the way, I also saw a Multi axle Volvo from Vishal Travels which I believe plies Mangalore-Mumbai. Dont know how that Volvo survives on those roads.

Most Viewed