Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 15:50   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Happywheels, the state of the road is like this for a long time now..am not sure if it will improve ever!
Old 5th October 2009, 15:58   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Back from a trip to Mangalore yesterday.

Went thru Magadi - Kunigal - Shiradi ghat - BC road - Mangalore. Return was almost the same, except that I took the Nelamangala - Nice road to reach home.
We could have said "Hi" to each other, had you had taken the Madikeri route during your return trip, hehe. This route is much better, hazzle-free and mining truck-free as well.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:06   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
We could have said "Hi" to each other, had you had taken the Madikeri route during your return trip, hehe. This route is much better, hazzle-free and mining truck-free as well.
Kamath any day i would take the Shiradi Ghats instead of the Madikeri Route due to long distance and more traffic on that route with congested road.

When you have a Safari why do you look at alternatives, keep making your own road and that is what our Happywheels has done and enjoyed his drive
Old 5th October 2009, 16:40   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Had been on Bisle ghat road for a few kms yesterday. It is very bad, but I guess, those with any SUV can handle it very well. Road from Sakleshpur is pretty much okay till Byakaravalli junction. There are a few spots where you will find craters but other wise okay.

After Byakaravalli, bad roads for a couple of kms and smooth road of 5-6 kms till Hethur. From Hethur, good road for a kms or so and then back to the rough road till Bisle. You will keep encountering craters at frequent intervals.

For people going to Kukke Subramanya, this is a very scenic & alternative route to Shiradi ghat. It is a pity that only those who have SUVs can enjoy both the drive and the scenic beauty of the ghats.

@HappyWheels, How did you find the drive on Magadi road? How come you didn't take the same route on the way back?

Last edited by addyhemmige : 5th October 2009 at 16:43. Reason: more info
Old 5th October 2009, 19:57   #1175
BHPian

Stirred n Shaken on Bisile!!

Well, i had been on bisile ghat all the way until subramanya on friday. It was a blunder, took the wrong call while having tea on the fork towards bisile ghat as got tempted on the scenary carrot. And also had been on all other ghats and subramanya became the excuse to try this route. The roads are horrible, streams cutting through the roads in many a places. No roads at all nearing subramanya, sharp turns, fogs. You name it, you have it here. But you know what, i had seen many a omni's on this road, apart from the KSRTC buses. Took 3 hours for the 70Kms from the fork until subramanya. Anyways...

Return y'day was on shiradi, and coz of the onward journey shiradi looked super smooth. But even now, am getting out of the hangover of bisile.

Magadi road is good apart from some bad stretch until NICE intersection.

Last edited by JMaruru : 5th October 2009 at 20:01.
Old 5th October 2009, 20:17   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Happywheels, the state of the road is like this for a long time now..am not sure if it will improve ever!
Very sad! I had always though my drive from Kerala to Karnataka thru Virajpet, where I took 2 hours to cover 20kms was the worst drive (since I drove almost thru mountain rocks), but this entire stretch takes the first prize now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
There is always a next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
... When you have a Safari why do you look at alternatives, keep making your own road and that is what our Happywheels has done and enjoyed his drive
Making your own road is what one had to do here! But there were others sedans and small cars and some of them were driving like crazy. I pity the car and the passengers!

But hey, did not expect this last drive of this year with the family to be thru such a bad road. I reckon the family's comfort is a testament of the vehicle's ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
... @HappyWheels, How did you find the drive on Magadi road? How come you didn't take the same route on the way back?
While coming back, I found all vehicles were taking the right turn towards Magadi. Thought I will try out the Nelamangala route; which was a smart decision... till I hit Nelamangala until Nice road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
... Magadi road is good apart from some bad stretch until NICE intersection.
It seems the roads are missing whenever we reach a town or a populated place!

And one more word of caution to people driving thru Magadi road the first time, please maintain your speed. The curves are a bit sharp and might surprise you.
Old 5th October 2009, 20:25   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Well Bisle was never in a great shape, few kms of some peace and later it gets to you

When talking about Bisle it reminds me of this pic...
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-untitled1.jpg  

Old 5th October 2009, 21:46   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Nice snaps there Lohith
i also visited your website, good stuff,
but URLs does not work, it seems you have not visited since long.
Old 5th October 2009, 22:14   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Kamath any day i would take the Shiradi Ghats instead of the Madikeri Route due to long distance and more traffic on that route with congested road.

When you have a Safari why do you look at alternatives, keep making your own road and that is what our Happywheels has done and enjoyed his drive
Have driven along the Shiradi ghat, and the less said about it the better. Driving on that ghat section is not much fun, and we were once lucky enough not to be brushed by a truck coming down a curve. It's difficult to anticipate the turns of these non-power assist steered vehicles. Driving on the Sampaje ghat is much peaceful with less fatigue, and it takes less than an hour's time to cross. Moreover, no hairpin bends here.
Shiradi might be good once in a while, but if you have to do this often, then alternatives like what i take have to be considered.
Old 5th October 2009, 23:34   #1180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roameo View Post
I proceeded as planned via Agumbe yesterday morning. The climb up was simply one of the most wonderful experiences in my life. There was a trace of a drizzle and a light fog. It was magical.
Did you also U-turn at the Chattambade stall, he was surely confused when I did that, I later confirmed to him that I came only for the Chattambade. Looks like it was your first drive through Agumbe, it is really enchanting everytime I drive through during monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Had been on Bisle ghat road for a few kms yesterday. It is very bad, but I guess, those with any SUV can handle it very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, i had been on bisile ghat all the way until subramanya on friday. It was a blunder, took the wrong call while having tea on the fork towards bisile ghat as got tempted on the scenary carrot. And also had been on all other ghats and subramanya became the excuse to try this route. The roads are horrible, streams cutting through the roads in many a places.
Hey, did you guys miss my pictorial description of bisle ghat last month? I specifically mentioned it was only for high-GC vehicles.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:42   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like it was your first drive through Agumbe, it is really enchanting everytime I drive through during monsoon.

Hey, did you guys miss my pictorial description of bisle ghat last month? I specifically mentioned it was only for high-GC vehicles.
Nope, was just updating the conditions road conditions leading into Bisle and so far, no progress anywhere. We were driving a 98 Zen.

Had also been to Agumbe this weekend. Everything was perfect the fog, the drizzle except for the litter at the sunset view point. The place was stinking and trash was lying everywhere, even below the viewing platform.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:06   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Chattambade

Can somebody advise what is a Chattambade(and the way its pronounced),have been through quite a bit of South Canara,but this is something new that I have heard of,rather something that I did not know about(am sure its been around for ages)any pictures?how does it taste-sweet/sour/salty?this is one interesting word that I have across on this thread,is it avlbl only in Agumbe?
Old 6th October 2009, 11:15   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Can somebody advise what is a Chattambade(and the way its pronounced),have been through quite a bit of South Canara,but this is something new that I have heard of,rather something that I did not know about(am sure its been around for ages)any pictures?how does it taste-sweet/sour/salty?this is one interesting word that I have across on this thread,is it avlbl only in Agumbe?

Chattambade = Dal Vada (as it is pronounced in north india) it is also called Masala vada in some parts of India.

generally it is an evening snack as it is in Coastal Karnataka.

Chettu = Flattened
Ambade = round fried vada

Chettambade = flattend round fried vada

Last edited by StarVegabond : 6th October 2009 at 11:18.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:31   #1184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
this is one interesting word that I have across on this thread,is it avlbl only in Agumbe?
Here you go: Mane Adige: Ambade/ Aambode/ Chattambade or simply Dal Vada

It is available all over south canara/Udupi district.
Old 6th October 2009, 13:10   #1185
BHPian

Omni's on bisile!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, i had to be on this ghat sometime, and subramanya became the right excuse. Only the timing was not right, what with all the rains coming my way. I was deprived of scenery, thanks to the never ending rains or else the fog. On the equipment front, swift VDi performed remarkably well, nowhere felt lack of power. Yes, had to be carefull not to scrape the bottoms and so we took almost 3 hours to cover this stretch.

As i said before, we were surprised to see so many fully loaded omni's on this roads. Also many a KSRTC buses towards b'lore from subramanya were on this roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks