Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 14:28   #1201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

On the Agume ghat roads, the road concrete slab moves as the cars pass on them. Sometimes this is scary.
?? Well now i am scared. Is this a exaggeration or are you serious ?

@Morgul , I have seen few photos of agumbe int he morning time and they are awesome !!
Old 7th October 2009, 14:42   #1202
MCR
BHPian

No need to be so scared and neither the statement is exaggeration.
Actually to prevent tar getting washed away by rains the Ghat roads are made of concrete slabs. The slabs are put together with the help of tar. Now this tar has got washed away and this means the slabs are not held together any more. So every time you move from one slab to another, there is a thud you can hear. At some places, the concrete slabs have got damaged and you can see the iron rods. Also on the hairpin bends, the slab on the top kindof creates a small step.
Just watch out for odd slabs and washed away road endings.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:55   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about the caving in on Kudremukh - Karkala road. I never heard about this. This stretch of road is good and from Karkala to Udupi the roads are good and wide.

On the Agume ghat roads, the road concrete slab moves as the cars pass on them. Sometimes this is scary.
The part of the road that caved in, is repaired.

Parts of the Agumbe ghat roads are bad , you just need to drive carefully and slowly. Honk when you are negotiating the hair pin bends so vehicles from the opposite direction are aware you are approaching.

I took this route last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The 90 minutes you get to cross the Kudremukh forests are just not enough, you need at least 3 hours if you take breaks in between to enjoy the scenic beauty.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:18   #1204
Senior - BHPian

A simple question. From Bannargatta road if you take NICE road, can you get off on NH48 to go to hassan, there by byepassing the traffic on NH4

Last edited by laluks : 7th October 2009 at 15:20.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:43   #1205
BHPian

Simple answer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
A simple question. From Bannargatta road if you take NICE road, can you get off on NH48 to go to hassan, there by byepassing the traffic on NH4
Yes. You can bypass NH4, if you take the magadi road exit on nice road and continue on the magadi road you can meet NH48. The road is much better, after nice intersection. Just keep travelling in the direction of kunigal on this road. Had been on this road last week. Saves you lot of time, if you start late.

Bannerghatta Road -> Nice Road -> Magadi Road => NH48

Last edited by JMaruru : 7th October 2009 at 15:46.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:55   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Was speaking to one of my fried who had been to Sringeri/Agumbe he told me their car just missed running over a huge "King Cobra", few months backnear Kalsa even i had come across a King cobra which was crossing the road luckily since i was slow i could slow down and wait till it crossed.

People traveling around " Agumbe/Kalsa/Kudremukha/Sringeri and surrounding areas" need to be cautious and preferably slow so that no animals are hurt...

Just thought will bring this into the notice of the people, however folks who belong to the coast and hills know about it very well
Old 7th October 2009, 16:29   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Was speaking to one of my fried who had been to Sringeri/Agumbe he told me their car just missed running over a huge "King Cobra", few months backnear Kalsa even i had come across a King cobra which was crossing the road luckily since i was slow i could slow down and wait till it crossed.

People traveling around " Agumbe/Kalsa/Kudremukha/Sringeri and surrounding areas" need to be cautious and preferably slow so that no animals are hurt...

Just thought will bring this into the notice of the people, however folks who belong to the coast and hills know about it very well

Lucky you and your friend (lucky King Cobra also)!!! I've been dying to get myself into a situation like that.

You and your friend are privileged to see a King Cobra in the wild (or on roads)

OT: The Agumbe region is known to have the highest density of King Cobras in the world. According to researchers from ARRS-Agumbe Rainforest Research Station (I visited here this January), upto 10 King Cobra roadkills occur every year.

Not only travelers in this region, but travelers who pass through any forested areas, National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries and even village roads for that matter also must be cautious and drive slow. You can do your bit by preventing roadkills.

Roadkills are one of the major reasons to close down the Bandipur road at night.

@Roameo,

It looks like a pretty bad cave in from the picture in the link below. I did not know it could be repaired so fast. But good thing is that they have done it

check this link for info about the cave in

Kalasa-Karkala highway cuts off near Kudremukh

Last edited by addyhemmige : 7th October 2009 at 16:34. Reason: added link
Old 7th October 2009, 16:42   #1208
MCR
BHPian

The snake passing on the road in front of me.
This happens to me every time I go on long drives. It(snake) also gives me enough time to take out my camera and shoot. I have quiet a few videos, i will upload some.
So on all long drives through kudremukh, Agumbe, Bajpe airport road, Sringeri & Horanadu I am always extra cautious.

However good to know that the Kalasa - Karkala road has been repaired.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:16   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The snake passing on the road in front of me.
This happens to me every time I go on long drives. It(snake) also gives me enough time to take out my camera and shoot. I have quiet a few videos, i will upload some.
So on all long drives through kudremukh, Agumbe, Bajpe airport road, Sringeri & Horanadu I am always extra cautious.

However good to know that the Kalasa - Karkala road has been repaired.

I was not talking about 'a' snake, was talking about 'the' King Cobra, the King of them all
Old 8th October 2009, 02:45   #1210

Travelling to Mangalore this weekend

guys, im travelling to mangalore this weekend. this is my first time driving there in my new Logan. can you please let me know what is the best route to take? i stay really close to nelamangala and if anyone can give me the best route to take as of current, it would really help me!
Old 8th October 2009, 09:24   #1211
Senior - BHPian

addy, i know it feels good to spot the "King"

What i have noticed is people passing by atleast most of them drive very fast, couple of years back when me and my friend had visited Kudremukha we drove in 40s in this stretch while we both keeping a very close watch on the road, while we did this we saw lots of cars/cabs honking madly overtake us...

Amrit, if you go back couple of pages the present state of some main routes are given. anyway since this is the first long drive i would suggest you to go via Shiradi. if you are worried about the road condition then you can take madikeri/sampaje but will be a bit longer.

Last edited by lohithrao : 8th October 2009 at 09:26.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:56   #1212
MCR
BHPian

Amrit, You can take the following alternative route to Shiradi ghat.

1. Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Bantwal - Mangalore.
2. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Puttur - Mani - Mangalore.

Last edited by MCR : 8th October 2009 at 11:58.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:22   #1213
BHPian

I took the Agumbe route to reach Udupi last friday and the drive was great. Special mention goes to Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal & Hassan - Belur - Chikmanglur roads as both of these roads are in great shape and you can easily do 100-120 on these.

This post gives a good description about the rest of the roads - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1499985

Time and distance break up :

Name:  timedistance.png
Views: 3284
Size:  17.7 KB

Here are some pics of the Agumbe ghat section. The roads are in pretty good shape considering the amount of rain we have seen in the last two weeks. I could complete the 18-19 hairpin bends in under half an hour.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02177.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02179.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02182.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02192.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02193.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02194.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02200.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02204.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02207.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02213.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02214.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02230.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02235.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02239.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02268.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02274.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc02276.jpg
Old 8th October 2009, 15:34   #1214
Senior - BHPian

I typically take around abt same time on my Swift too :-)

only this time around while returning though i started by 6:15.. did alot of rash driving to reach home by 5:00 (with alot of breaks with my 1yr old kid)

FE got screwed big time .. 13.6 kmpl as against 15-16kmpl usually on this route
Old 8th October 2009, 15:45   #1215
BHPian

Guys, try driving at night the next time. It is MUCH MUCH faster. I started from Udupi at 5:30 PM and reached Bangaloe by 12:45 PM with a 15 minute coffee break in Chikmagalur and a dinner break of 25-30 min in Channarayapatna. This was in late August with a some rains to give us company.

Most Viewed