Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 17:27   #1291
Team-BHP Support

Glifford, if you see two posts above yours, you will find the answer.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:48   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, can we have a section/page where all the routes are mentioned and time to time te conditiones can be updated?

i see similar questions being asked repeatedly.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:51   #1293
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, sticky posts are not possible within a thread. You mean a separate thread for recommended routes?
Old 26th October 2009, 18:59   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Not really, something like a bulletin board within this thread, it can be on the first page.
Similar thing can be applied across all the threads which will stop questions getting repeated.
Old 26th October 2009, 19:04   #1295
BHPian

Update from road trip-Blr_Madikeri_Puttur

Hi, Over the Deepavali weekend I travelled to Puttur. I took Madikeri route
Started at 5AM from Bangalore and drove via - Mysore road, Mysore Bypass, Kushalanagara, Madikeri, Sullia, Puttur, reached about 1PM!

The stretch between Kushalanagara & Sampaje is bad but driveable. This stretch of about 80KM will take about 3 hours! Most of the curves are turning bad, at some stretches there are potholes. I still enjoyed the trip for many reasons -

a) less heavy traffic. You will mostly encounter KSRTC buses, no bullet tankers, no mining trucks etc
b) Very scenic throughout with lots of greenery and wildlife. I saw
Mongoose, lots of birds such as Yellow Wagtails, Scarlet Minivet and butterflies such as Common Jay, Banded Blue Pierrot to name few. (Infact lots of butterflies were seen mud puddling on the road and many dead!)
c) Lots of waterfalls once you get down from Madikeri. Almost every curve has some water streams live!

I have posted few pics. Going by all the recent thread, I would think the Shiradi may not be all that bad as the bad stretch on that road is abut 25kms. Someone pl post pics. I am planning to go by end November.

Good thing on Madikeri road is the road widening work is being taken up. I also saw the machineries set up near Sampaje for road relaying! If this happens (I was told after Deepavali they will take up this work) then we will have decent road next time around
Thanks
Gany
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bmm_r1.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bmm_r2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bmm_r3.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bmm_r5.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bmm_r6.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bmm_r4.jpg  

Old 26th October 2009, 19:21   #1296
BHPian

On 18th returned from Bangalore via shiradi ghat. From Double turn to Gundya its a hell. No wonder Samurai's plane also afraid of this stretch! (He met with turbulance while returning from Bangalore..over shiradi I think..)
Old 26th October 2009, 19:59   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If the destination is Udupi, then I would suggest a slight deviation which can reduce 20KMs and lot of heartburn on NH-17.

Turn right just before B.C road towards Bantwala. Turn left at the next major junction towards Moodubidri (ask directions from bystanders), and continue through Moodbidri, Karkala, Manipal and Udupi. Shorter by 20KMs and roads are good until almost the very end.
Sounds like route is
Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Puttur - Mani - Bantwala - Moodbidri - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi

I have done Bangalore - Madikeri last month. Very manageable. I am also comfortable with Moodbidri - Udupi section as I have done that most of my past trips. The unknown is the Madikeri - Moodbidri section.

Also does one need to enter madikeri town or is there a bypass ? In case we need to enter madikeri then I can take the dubare road as it has no traffic and roads are also better.

Also on this route, what is the total distance from blore to udupi? Any estimates on what time I will reach if I start at 5AM from Jayanagar (say reach madikeri around 10:30AM)?

Last edited by ash_blore : 26th October 2009 at 20:01.
Old 26th October 2009, 20:46   #1298
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Also does one need to enter madikeri town or is there a bypass ? In case we need to enter madikeri then I can take the dubare road as it has no traffic and roads are also better.

Also on this route, what is the total distance from blore to udupi? Any estimates on what time I will reach if I start at 5AM from Jayanagar (say reach madikeri around 10:30AM)?
No bypass in Madikeri. Enter the the town and drive till you reach a circle and take a left there. There is a petrol bunk opposite to the circle and the road on the LHS is a steep down. This is the road which goes to Mangalore/Sullya/Subrahmanya/Talacauvery.Take this steep down grade. Donot take the Dubare road.

Total distance may be around 370 kms. You will be in Madikeri by 9.30 AM.
Old 26th October 2009, 21:30   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
No bypass in Madikeri. Enter the the town and drive till you reach a circle and take a left there. There is a petrol bunk opposite to the circle and the road on the LHS is a steep down. This is the road which goes to Mangalore/Sullya/Subrahmanya/Talacauvery.Take this steep down grade. Donot take the Dubare road.

Total distance may be around 370 kms. You will be in Madikeri by 9.30 AM.
Just to clarify, I meant that I will use the dubare road to reach madikeri from kushalnagara. Once inside the town, I will use the road you mentioned.

Any info on the distance, time to travel from madikeri to udupi?
Old 26th October 2009, 21:44   #1300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Technically one need not enter Madikeri town. Every highway comes together at General Thimmaiah Circle.

From Bangalore, you will be coming from East on SH-88, take the acute left at General Thimmaiah circle and continue on SH-88 towards South. The SH-27 is coming from Virajpet and will continue into the town.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-genthimcircle.jpg

Quote:
Via Shiradi, Udupi is about 410Kms from center of Bangalore. Via Madikeri, it has to be higher since you are going further south and then coming north again.

General Thimmaiah circle to Hotel Karavali in Udupi (NH-17) is exactly 200Kms. Should take 4 hours or less depending on the driver.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th October 2009 at 21:46.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:58   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds like route is
Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullya - Puttur - Mani - Bantwala - Moodbidri - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi
This route is a bit of a roundabout. The best route to Udupi would be Bangalore - NICE road - Magadi road junction - Magadi - Kunigal - CR patna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmaglur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi.

The roads are good except for about 20km around Agumbe. Traffic is sparse and scenery is terrific. Alternatively, you can also try Sringeri - SK border - Bajagoli - Karkala - Manipal to avoid Agumbe - roads are typically in a good shape here.

Distance is ~420km from JP Nagar to Udupi.

See the post below for more details
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...be#post1518230

Last edited by bullinb : 27th October 2009 at 10:00.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:54   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
This route is a bit of a roundabout. The best route to Udupi would be Bangalore - NICE road - Magadi road junction - Magadi - Kunigal - CR patna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmaglur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi.

The roads are good except for about 20km around Agumbe. Traffic is sparse and scenery is terrific. Alternatively, you can also try Sringeri - SK border - Bajagoli - Karkala - Manipal to avoid Agumbe - roads are typically in a good shape here.

Distance is ~420km from JP Nagar to Udupi.

See the post below for more details
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...be#post1518230
From your description the Agumbe - Manipal-Udupi seems very very bad. Will I be able to manage this in the civic with 4 adults?
Old 27th October 2009, 19:51   #1303

Bangalore to Manipal

Hi
I am planning to go to Manipal (for TAPMI homecoming) on November 6th. I plan to drive down on 6th evening at 6:30pm from dairy circle. The route I plan to take basis inputs from all the posts is the following: Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Chikmaglur - Aldur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Manipa. I will be in my Fiat Palio MJD SDX with a packed car (some luggage and 3 more people on board and a 1 year old child). My friend will accompany me in his Getz petrol. The last time I went to Manipal (in Jan 09), i went via the Charmadi Ghats. We had left by around 6:30pm and reached Manipal by 2:30am. The road was ok but I dont think I will take it this time since the child on board might get sick. I had some questions on the route.
What time will I reach Agumbe and will there be fog during that time? Is it safe to travel in the fog during this time?
How long will be the total journey time?
Are there too many winding roads? The child in the back seat has an aversion to winding roads.
Where do we stop for dinner?
How is the road?
Any better option with regard to the road keeping in mind the child on board and time of travel (driving through the night) and distance.
Thanks
Kurian
Old 27th October 2009, 21:37   #1304
BHPian

Kurian, this is the same I route I thought of taking on my last trip to Coastal Karnataka.

If you start at 6:30 PM I guess it will take you at least 1 and a half hour to hit NH48 because of evening traffic. I remember there are 2 CCD(Cafe Coffee days) on NH48 between nelamangala and Hassan. There is one on the left side couple of KMs after Kunigal another one around 25 KMs before Hassan. There are several decent dhabas close to Hassan. Don't remember any decent place in CR Patna.

I guess the only section where you may have some issues is Agumbe - Manipal. The road from Agumbe to Someshwar has 14 HP bends. I don't know the recent conditions but around a month back the road was in decent shape. Beware at the turns as tar has all but washed away from the turns.

Hope it helps.
Old 27th October 2009, 22:48   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Kurian, 6:30 is a wrong time to start, am sure you will take not less then 2hors to reach hiway.

Most Viewed