BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriananoop View Post
Where do we stop for dinner?
Thanks
Kurian
Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
If you start at 6:30 PM I guess it will take you at least 1 and a half hour to hit NH48 because of evening traffic. I remember there are 2 CCD(Cafe Coffee days) on NH48 between nelamangala and Hassan. There is one on the left side couple of KMs after Kunigal another one around 25 KMs before Hassan. There are several decent dhabas close to Hassan. Don't remember any decent place in CR Patna.
I suggest kamat yatri nivas. It comes after CR Patna on the right.

Kishore, please let us know more about this decent dhabas. Is it on the hassan bypass road ? I would like to try something other than kamat yatri nivas on this stretch.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:23   #1307
Team-BHP Support

Night drive through Agumbe ghats, there may be fog, pretty high chance for that. If there is fog, you'll be forced to follow some bus/truck.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:51   #1308
Senior - BHPian

I prefer Mayura, liked Doasas and Vade there but "tea" is not upto the mark

Just beforeKamat towards left there is a new hotel.dhaba opened and also before adichuchungiri college there is one but am not sure if its a family kind of place.

Also after CR patna just afer the town there is one, food is pretty good here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I suggest kamat yatri nivas. It comes after CR Patna on the right.

Kishore, please let us know more about this decent dhabas. Is it on the hassan bypass road ? I would like to try something other than kamat yatri nivas on this stretch.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:22   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
From your description the Agumbe - Manipal-Udupi seems very very bad. Will I be able to manage this in the civic with 4 adults?
Now that the landslide damage has been fixed, you can avoid Agumbe completely and go via Kudremukh. I had been on both the roads a couple months back and they both were quite manageable. I'll let others comment on the present state. Anyway, Agumbe is nothing compared to what you'll encounter once you are in Udupi-Manipal .
Old 28th October 2009, 10:39   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to drive down on 6th evening at 6:30pm from dairy circle.
As others have pointed out - wrong time to start. If you have to start by then, I advice go by Kanakapura road instead of Bannerghatta road to reach NICE road. Don't reach Magadi road before NICE road junction. It will waste 2-3 hours of your time.

Quote:
What time will I reach Agumbe and will there be fog during that time? Is it safe to travel in the fog during this time?
Yes there will be fog. Yes it is quite safe as long as you are fully awake and the speed is low. Trick is to concentrate on the edges of the road rather than trying to see straight ahead. Still, it will slow you down considerably.

Quote:
How long will be the total journey time?
Given your plan, I would say at least 9 to 10 hours.

Quote:
Are there too many winding roads?
Yes from Chikmaglur till Hebri/Bajagoli, thats about 150+ kms, the roads are pretty winding. But serious switchbacks occur only in Agumbe. In any case you cannot avoid winding roads whichever route you take to reach the coast.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:54   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I am planning to go to Manipal (for TAPMI homecoming) on November 6th. I plan to drive down on 6th evening at 6:30pm from dairy circle.
It is going to be late by the time you leave the city
Quote:
Are there too many winding roads? The child in the back seat has an aversion to winding roads.
You cannot avoid winding roads when traveling to the coast.

Quote:
Where do we stop for dinner?
If you reach Hassan before 10 pm, you can enter Hassan city and have dinner there. If not, there are plenty of dhabas near Bellur cross and also there are a couple of dhabas just before you enter Hassan.

You also have Kamat Upachar 10kms after CR Patna. There is a CCD adjacent to it. One more CCD just before Bellur cross toll booth. Both these CCDs are supposedly open 24 hrs.

Quote:
How is the road?
The road is decent enough with bad patches in between. Go back a couple of pages and you will find updates on this.
Quote:
Any better option with regard to the road keeping in mind the child on board and time of travel (driving through the night) and distance.
The only other options you have is to go via Kudremukh or via Charmadi ghat. You can take Charmadi ghat if you want to avoid a considerable distance of winding roads. After descending down Charmadi, you face comparitively 'less' winding roads. Agumbe route has winding roads right from Chikmagalur.

Kudremukh road is closed at night
Old 28th October 2009, 12:29   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Kudremukh road is closed at night
Is this a recent development? I drove through Kalasa - Kudremukh between 12 -1:30am in August. I was stopped only once by a few policemen but they just noted down the vehicle details.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:35   #1313
Senior - BHPian

I would personally avoid Kudremukha road at night, want to give animals some peace time

Also there are chances of it being foggy...
Old 28th October 2009, 12:42   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Is this a recent development? I drove through Kalasa - Kudremukh between 12 -1:30am in August. I was stopped only once by a few policemen but they just noted down the vehicle details.
From what I heard from a friend, he told me that it was closed at night. I'm not sure.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:14   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
IJust beforeKamat towards left there is a new hotel.
It is Hotel Athithi. It's been there since almost 2 years. My advice is AVOID. Instead go to Kamath, which is hardly 100mts from there.
Quote:
Also after CR patna just afer the town there is one, food is pretty good here.
King's Fort. It's just Ok I feel
Old 29th October 2009, 22:53   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Now that the landslide damage has been fixed, you can avoid Agumbe completely and go via Kudremukh. I had been on both the roads a couple months back and they both were quite manageable. I'll let others comment on the present state. Anyway, Agumbe is nothing compared to what you'll encounter once you are in Udupi-Manipal .
how about blore-hassan-belur-gonebidu-mudugere-charmadi-ujre-belthangady-moodabidri-karkala-udupi? What will be the distance? More importantly what are the road conditions?
Old 29th October 2009, 23:41   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I was referring to couple of dhabas before Hassan. I believe they are around 15-20 Kms before Hassan on NH48, on the left when you are going from Bangalore. Don't remember names.
Old 29th October 2009, 23:56   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
how about blore-hassan-belur-gonebidu-mudugere-charmadi-ujre-belthangady-moodabidri-karkala-udupi? What will be the distance? More importantly what are the road conditions?
I can comment only on couple of parts as I did them on first week of October.

See my travelogue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-monsoon.html

Bangalore - Hassan - Construction on NH48. Be very careful at night. After you reach Kunigal, road should be ok with some bad patches.

Hassan - Belur - Narrow but Ok road.

Mudabidri - Karkala - Ok road, recently tarred as far as I remeber.

Karkala - Manipal - Udupi - Not in good condition. Number of bad patches are more and I guess it would have deteriorated further in one month.

Hope it helps.
Kishore

Last edited by KishoreC : 29th October 2009 at 23:57.
Old 30th October 2009, 09:50   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
I can comment only on couple of parts as I did them on first week of October.

See my travelogue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-monsoon.html

Bangalore - Hassan - Construction on NH48. Be very careful at night. After you reach Kunigal, road should be ok with some bad patches.

Mudabidri - Karkala - Ok road, recently tarred as far as I remeber.

Karkala - Manipal - Udupi - Not in good condition. Number of bad patches are more and I guess it would have deteriorated further in one month.

Hope it helps.
Kishore
No night driving for me. Will stick to sunlight. Any idea on how the stretch from belur to moodabidri is (including charmadi?)
Old 30th October 2009, 10:11   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy you have either taken a wrong road or have just come back driving on 12 lane expressways abroad . Hassan - Belur road is one of the best in this part of the state an by no means narrow by Indian standards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks