Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 11:19   #1486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
@Kadri007, I am starting with Sringeri from bangalore and down to Subramanya at the last.
In that case you can try this option also, which would cover Kudremukha also if you have time.

Blore - Hassan - Chickmaglur - Aldur - Balehonnuru - Sringeri - Balehonnuru - Kalasa- Horanadu - Kalasa - Kudremukha - SK boarder - Bajagoli - Karkala - Kodyadkya - Mudabidri - Belthangady - Dharmastala.

The drive from Kalasa to Karkala is just amazing. In and around Kalasa the road passes through coffee estate.

If you want to save some distance, then its better to visit Horanadu first.

Blore - Hassan - Mudigeri- Kottighera - Kalasa - Horanadu - Balehonnuru - Sringeri - SK boarder and so on.

And dont miss to take ur camera
Old 17th December 2009, 12:02   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
In that case you can try this option also, which would cover Kudremukha also if you have time.

Blore - Hassan - Chickmaglur - Aldur - Balehonnuru - Sringeri - Balehonnuru - Kalasa- Horanadu - Kalasa - Kudremukha - SK boarder - Bajagoli - Karkala - Kodyadkya - Mudabidri - Belthangady - Dharmastala.

The drive from Kalasa to Karkala is just amazing. In and around Kalasa the road passes through coffee estate.

If you want to save some distance, then its better to visit Horanadu first.

Blore - Hassan - Mudigeri- Kottighera - Kalasa - Horanadu - Balehonnuru - Sringeri - SK boarder and so on.

And dont miss to take ur camera
There is no need to go back to Balehonnur from Sringeri to reach Kalasa. There is a direct road from Sringeri to Hornadu/Kalasa and Kottigehara via Basrikatte. The road is single lane and pretty rough, but the views on offer are breath-taking to say the least.

Also I feel, going from Karkala to Dharmasthala via Mudabidri is a bit long. I would suggest going via Mudabidri only if you want to visit Mudabidri.

Actually, going to Sringeri first would save time. I would suggest

B'lore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Hornadu/Kalasa-Kudremukha-SK Border-Karkala-Belthangady-Dharmasthala-Gundya-Subramanya-B'lore (via Madikeri/Shiradi)
Old 17th December 2009, 14:21   #1488
BHPian

So guys my trip to Koteshwar, Kundapur has been confirmed for 25th Dec morning. I am driving with my family to a beach resort.

With the help of certain helpful members here, I have collated the below information on the route for the trip.

I would request the route experts to review and let me know for suggestions/feedback.

The main criterias for choosing the routes have been the obvious, avoid bad roads as much as possble and drive through scenic routes.

BLR to Kundapur through Shimoga

BLR-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arisekere-Birur-badravati-shimoga-
From Shimoga, one of the below routes..
1. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Siddapura - Basrur - Kundapura - Koteshwara
2. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Halady - Kundapura - Koteshwara

Kundapur to BLR
While return, I would like to try a different route. SO please help me in choosing one of the below as per latest road conditions and minimal traffic

Again I think the NH17 has seen no improvement so far, hence I would like to avoid any drive on the NH17

Read from R to L
1. Blore - Nelmangala- Hassan -Belur - Kottighehara - Kalasa- Kudremukh- Karkala- Udupi - Kundapura.
2. Blore - Nelmangala - Hassan - Belur - Kottighehara - Kalasa - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Haladi - Kundapura.
3. BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-UJIRE-GURUVAYANKERE-KARKALA-UDUPI-KUNDAPURA
4. BLR-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-HEBRI-HALADI-KUNDAPURA.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:48   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post

Kundapur to BLR
1. Blore - Nelmangala- Hassan -Belur - Kottighehara - Kalasa- Kudremukh- Karkala- Udupi - Kundapura.
2. Blore - Nelmangala - Hassan - Belur - Kottighehara - Kalasa - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Haladi - Kundapura.
From Shimoga to Kundapura route 1, I'm not sure which Siddapura you are talking about.

Another route you can take is

Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Hosangadi-Shankarnarayana-Basrur-Kundapur

I'm not sure about the road conditions on this route.

From Kundapur to Bangalore, I'd suggest you take Route 1. You will be passing through Kudremukh National Park which is one of the most scenic routes.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:23   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
So guys my trip to Koteshwar, Kundapur has been confirmed for 25th Dec morning. I am driving with my family to a beach resort.

With the help of certain helpful members here, I have collated the below information on the route for the trip.

I would request the route experts to review and let me know for suggestions/feedback.

The main criterias for choosing the routes have been the obvious, avoid bad roads as much as possble and drive through scenic routes.

Kundapur to BLR
While return, I would like to try a different route. SO please help me in choosing one of the below as per latest road conditions and minimal traffic

Again I think the NH17 has seen no improvement so far, hence I would like to avoid any drive on the NH17

Read from R to L

Route 2 would be exciting if you are travelling in day time. The Agumbe ghat is just beautiful and driving down the ghat would be a experience. It has 14 hair pin curves.

You can also refer the recent discussions posted in the below forum to get some idea.

I have put my weekend travel experience with pics also.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-udupi-96.html
Old 17th December 2009, 15:30   #1491
Senior - BHPian

folks i wont suggest this stretch "MUDIGERE-UJIRE-GURUVAYANKERE" you can expect loads of bad patches....

btw Mangalore to Kundapura, i,e NH17 has improved so its very drivable now.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:40   #1492
BHPian

Folks..thanks a ton

@addyhemmige..If you ask me which siddapura, I am totally clueless. This is all from the info that I have gathered from this forum. Karnataka routes are kind of totally unfamiliar to me and I am relying on members here for inputs.
As you said Kudremukh route is something I would like to try during my return. I hope the road conditions are favorable.

@kadri007..And I think I shall stick to the Agumbe route from Shimgo to Kundapur. And again I hope the roads are fine.

@lohithrao..Good to know that NH17 is improved, but then you have the Shirdi ghat which I believe is still not revived
Old 17th December 2009, 16:41   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
From Bannerghatta Road (IIM) to Mangalore (Pump well) via Shiradi Ghat - 360 KMs.
From Bannerghatta road (IIM) to Mangalore via Madikeri - 410 KMs.

I did these routes recently in my Ritz. Madikeri route is much better when compared to Shiradi ghat. Also, i would suggest to take Mangalore university route to reach Mangalore in stead of taking pathetic BC Road.
Maybe since you took the Mangalore University road it worked out to 410km. From my house in Frazer Town to Hampankatta in Mangalore through BC Road the odometer showed 398km!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Is the route from Hassan->Sakleshpur Mangalore is not good from Bangalore
I am planning to start on 25th Dec morning
Bangalore-Nelamangala is pathetic due to road widening and heavy traffic. Nelamangala-Hassan which used to be a dream road has also gone for a toss thanks to the 4-laning work. It is really painful to drive through there. Hassan-Mangalore has been well documented by other forum members.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:43   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
folks i wont suggest this stretch "MUDIGERE-UJIRE-GURUVAYANKERE" you can expect loads of bad patches....

btw Mangalore to Kundapura, i,e NH17 has improved so its very drivable now.
NH 17 is also in a bad shape only in few stretches repair work has completed from what i have heard. Traffic is also pretty high in this route.

Last edited by kadri007 : 17th December 2009 at 16:48.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:55   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs .
Also can someone update the latest report on the BLR-Shimoga road conditions ? I feel this road is pretty straightfoward, and since I am about to travel with my family I would like to ensure a hassle free journey.
Just came back from Bhadra wildlife sanctuary: While going to Bhadra, we went via arasikere tiptur and while coming back, we took the chikmagalur route (wanted to see kemmengundi/mulayangiri/budangiri). Both routes are in a good condition. There are however some diversions on chikmagalur route, but for that, it is in a decent shape. Please avoid driving in the night.

Last edited by bantejas : 17th December 2009 at 16:59.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:11   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Folks..thanks a ton

@addyhemmige..If you ask me which siddapura, I am totally clueless. This is all from the info that I have gathered from this forum. Karnataka routes are kind of totally unfamiliar to me and I am relying on members here for inputs.
As you said Kudremukh route is something I would like to try during my return. I hope the road conditions are favorable.

@kadri007..And I think I shall stick to the Agumbe route from Shimgo to Kundapur. And again I hope the roads are fine.

@lohithrao..Good to know that NH17 is improved, but then you have the Shirdi ghat which I believe is still not revived
There are two Siddapura one is in Udupi district in Shimoga -Haladi- Kundapura road , the other one is in Uttar Kannada distict near Sirsi.

Since you are going on a family tour i would suggest

Kundapura- Hebri - Karkala - Bajagoli - Kudremukha - Kasala- Kottighera - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore route.

You can enjoy some village life in Kundapur - Karkala stretch and then the beautiful western ghats all the way till Kottighera.

Day time travel is advisable in these routes.
Old 17th December 2009, 17:54   #1497
BHPian

@bantejas - Can you pls provide more details on your return route ? The route as well as road conditions.

Kadri - Looks like you have swallowed the Karnataka map. Just kidding. I am going to travel only during day, not night drives at all because I have my family that includes my 3-1/2 yr old son. I shall defenitely try the Kudremukh route. Kudremukh is one place I always wanted to do 1 more trip, lovely place !

Also while staying at Koteshwar I intend to visit below places. You suggestions again are welcome.

kms mentioned are from Kundapur
-kollur mookambika - 40 kms
-murudeshwar - 70 kms
- marvanthe - on the way to murudeshwar
-agumbe - 80 kms
-maybe the jog falls also -170 kms
-yana ?
-manipal ?

any other places that you recommend ?
Old 17th December 2009, 19:19   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
@bantejas - Can you pls provide more details on your return route ? The route as well as road conditions.

Kadri - Looks like you have swallowed the Karnataka map. Just kidding. I am going to travel only during day, not night drives at all because I have my family that includes my 3-1/2 yr old son. I shall defenitely try the Kudremukh route. Kudremukh is one place I always wanted to do 1 more trip, lovely place !

Also while staying at Koteshwar I intend to visit below places. You suggestions again are welcome.

kms mentioned are from Kundapur
-kollur mookambika - 40 kms
-murudeshwar - 70 kms
- marvanthe - on the way to murudeshwar
-agumbe - 80 kms
-maybe the jog falls also -170 kms
-yana ?
-manipal ?

any other places that you recommend ?
Thanks for the compliments on the map , Actually i am from Mangalore and have visited most of the places.

Agumbe you can visit on your way to Koteshwara. If you are driving from Bangalore. Start early morning and try reaching there by 5PM. You can enjoy a beautiful sunset. And then start quicky to Kundapur. It would take 2 more hours.

From Kundapur if you are starting next day morning then try this option.

Kundapura - Hattiangadi (Temple) - Vandse - Kollur (Temple & Mookambika wild life park)- Byndoor - Bhatkal - Murdeshwara (Temple, Beach) - Bhatkal - Maravanthe (Beach) - Kundapura (Temple).

All this would take a day. The temples get closed by 1PM and opens at 4PM. So plan accordingly.

You have option of lunch at both Kollur and Murdeshwar temple. Also its holiday time, you may find some crowd.

Yana is a bit far and it would take longer time. Not advisable with a small kid.

Jog falls is also out of the way.

On your way back to Bangalore you can look at this option where you can visit both Udupi temple and Manipal.

Kundapura - Kumbashi (Temple) - Udupi (Temple) - Manipal - Karkala (Gometeshwara) - Kudremukha and back home.
Old 17th December 2009, 21:30   #1499
BHPian

kadri..I just have no words pal. You have made my planning easy as a breeze. Thanks a lot. and of course kudos to Team BHP for creating such a platform !
Old 18th December 2009, 10:27   #1500
Senior - BHPian

OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
There are two Siddapura one is in Udupi district in Shimoga -Haladi- Kundapura road , the other one is in Uttar Kannada distict near Sirsi.
Add to it, one more near Madikeri. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks