Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 11:05   #1501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
@bantejas - Can you pls provide more details on your return route ? The route as well as road conditions.
shimoga->bhadrawati->Tarikere->Chikmagalur->Belur->Hasan->Kunigal->Bangalore.

The roads mostly are in decent condition. At Tarikere, you need to take a right for Chikmagalur. Straight goes to Birur/Kadur/Arsikere. Since we wanted to see a couple of places we thought of taking this route and liked it. It goes through coffee plantations (felt like coorg a little) and is a little less traveled. The roads at a very few places are bad. Hence one can have a nice time.

Places to see:
1. You can also go to Bhadra wildlife sanctuary.
2. If you want to go to Mulayangiri/Budangiri (It's nothing except a view point and very bad roads to reach that point, you will have to take a left at Kymara.
3. Kemmengundi: I'd love to go to this place, but with a kid? Well I don't know.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:23   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
shimoga->bhadrawati->Tarikere->Chikmagalur->Belur->Hasan->Kunigal->Bangalore.

The roads mostly are in decent condition. At Tarikere, you need to take a right for Chikmagalur. Straight goes to Birur/Kadur/Arsikere. Since we wanted to see a couple of places we thought of taking this route and liked it. It goes through coffee plantations (felt like coorg a little) and is a little less traveled. The roads at a very few places are bad. Hence one can have a nice time.

Places to see:
1. You can also go to Bhadra wildlife sanctuary.
2. If you want to go to Mulayangiri/Budangiri (It's nothing except a view point and very bad roads to reach that point, you will have to take a left at Kymara.
3. Kemmengundi: I'd love to go to this place, but with a kid? Well I don't know.
I agree that the roads are horrible, but why hesitate when you have a Safari? you could have gone to Kemmangundi with your Safari (I'm assuming that you took your Safari). I'm sure your kid would have managed as well.

Well, most of the places in the western ghats are view points. Isn't it the reason they are so popular? The western ghats offer some of the best views available.

If you are coming from Shimoga/Tarikere, you need to take right near Lingadahalli to go to Kemmanugundi. If you are coming from Chikmagalur, you need to take a left at Kaimara.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:35   #1503
BHPian

sushrutha, bantejas, addyhemmige, kadri007, lohithrao : Guys, Thanks a ton for your directions !

Bantejas.Could you please post some snaps of the places that you went around ? Especially the Bhadra reserve

what is the best route from Karkala to Udupi

Also if I have inferred it right, BLR to Kundapura through Shimoga is about 430 odd kms while through Hassan- Kudremukh is close to 380 kms.So is it worth driving close to 50 kms more by choosing Shimoga just for the sake of good roads ?

Lastly, the most simplest of all, what is the best way to get onto Tumkur road from Old airport road. Very silly uh ?

Last edited by s3va : 18th December 2009 at 12:52.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:53   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
sushrutha, bantejas, addyhemmige, kadri007, lohithrao : Guys, Thanks a ton for your directions !

Bantejas.Could you please post some snaps of the places that you went around ? Especially the Bhadra reserve

what is the best route from Karkala to Udupi

Also if I have inferred it right, BLR to Kundapura through Shimoga is about 430 odd kms while through Hassan- Kudremukh is close to 380 kms.So is it worth driving close to 50 kms more by choosing Shimoga just for the sake of good roads ?
You can try this option.

Blore - Hassan - Chickmaglur - Aldur - Balehonnuru - Sringeri- Agumbe - Someshwara - Shedimane - Haladi - Basrur - Koteshwara.

You can bypass Hebri by taking a Someshwara - Shedimne route. Also if you reach early you can visit Sringeri and then move on to Agumbe.

Udupi - Karkala there is only one main road - Udupi - Manipal - Karkala
Old 18th December 2009, 12:57   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Well heard from couple of sources that the road is fixed, that is this week so am hoping now its is fine.will be driving down to udupi this week mostly so i can give a first hand info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
NH 17 is also in a bad shape only in few stretches repair work has completed from what i have heard. Traffic is also pretty high in this route.
Old 18th December 2009, 13:00   #1506
BHPian

@ Lohith . Wonderful, waiting for your feedback
Old 18th December 2009, 13:06   #1507
BHPian

lohithrao..I just spoke to my resort guy at Koteshwar who was also mentioning about the NH17 patches being filled. Anyways will await first hand update from your end .
Old 18th December 2009, 13:14   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

Well, most of the places in the western ghats are view points. Isn't it the reason they are so popular? The western ghats offer some of the best views available.

If you are coming from Shimoga/Tarikere, you need to take right near Lingadahalli to go to Kemmanugundi. If you are coming from Chikmagalur, you need to take a left at Kaimara.
Quote:
I agree that the roads are horrible, but why hesitate when you have a Safari? you could have gone to Kemmangundi with your Safari (I'm assuming that you took your Safari). I'm sure your kid would have managed as well.
Obviously I went to Kemmengundi. Right now I am just married and don't have kids and hence I don't know how the kid would react. I didn't have much of a hassle on those roads thanks to the truck.

From Budangiri, you can actually see the Bhadra reservoir and the island where loads of birds migrate! It is a beautiful sight! I have been to these places atleast 4 times now just to sit and get that feel good factor.

Quote:
Correct. There's a petrol bunk right there at Lingadahalli where u cud take a left. I don't remember why we didn't take that. We had actually stopped at the bunk for the route.

@s3va: I will post the pics some time in the night. I don't have the camera with me right now. Will be out of the town tomorrow and the day after, so will try to do it by tonight. Also You can try the river tern lodge (jungle lodges) near bhadrawati. Costs about 3k per person and food+stay+safari (can't spot a lot of animals right now, but I liked the jungle a lot. For me, it was worth a go in that lush green forest)+boating (to catch a glimpse of the migrating birds) is included in it. According to me, it is on a higher side (I don't mind sleeping in the car), but I had to go there as it was my anniversary. It is a nice and peaceful place.

Cheers!
Old 18th December 2009, 14:17   #1509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
You can try this option.

Blore - Hassan - Chickmaglur - Aldur - Balehonnuru - Sringeri- Agumbe - Someshwara - Shedimane - Haladi - Basrur - Koteshwara.

You can bypass Hebri by taking a Someshwara - Shedimne route. Also if you reach early you can visit Sringeri and then move on to Agumbe.

Udupi - Karkala there is only one main road - Udupi - Manipal - Karkala
@Kadri,

Based on what Vinayak mentioned in his first post on this thread, looks like the section till Agumbe is very nice to drive. How much would be the distance to hit Udupi from here? Do you need to go via Karkala?

Another question on the Bangalore-Hassan route to all:

Now that the NICE road is functional till Tumkur road, is it still worth going via Magadi road, or one should take NICE + NH48? (Assuming I can get on to NICE road easily).

Another option can be, take the NICE road to Magadi road crossing and then proceed on the Magadi road to hit NH48 near Kollegal.

The basic question: Is Magadi road worth using, given NICE road is available and you can get to NH48 with ease.
Old 18th December 2009, 14:35   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Kadri,

Based on what Vinayak mentioned in his first post on this thread, looks like the section till Agumbe is very nice to drive. How much would be the distance to hit Udupi from here? Do you need to go via Karkala?

Now that the NICE road is functional till Tumkur road, is it still worth going via Magadi road, or one should take NICE + NH48? (Assuming I can get on to NICE road easily).

Another option can be, take the NICE road to Magadi road crossing and then proceed on the Magadi road to hit NH48 near Kollegal.

The basic question: Is Magadi road worth using, given NICE road is available and you can get to NH48 with ease.
From Agumbe to Udupi its around 80/90 Kms. The shortest route is Agumbe - Hebri - Perdoor - Manipal - Udupi. No need to go to Karkala.

I travelled last weekend to Mangalore. The roads are fine in Tumkur road. If you are driving from Bangalore South then it would a better option to avoid city traffic.
Old 18th December 2009, 14:57   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lastly, the most simplest of all, what is the best way to get onto Tumkur road from Old airport road. Very silly uh ?
The route would be
Old Airport - MG Road - JDP (Right turn) - Raj Bhavan - High Grouds - Mkhri Circle (Left turn)- Tata Institute-Yeshwanthpur-Tumkur Road.
But definetely this road will be full of traffic

Other longer route is , but simplest
Old Airport Road - Take ring road Marathally - KR Puram-Banaswadi-Hebbal-Jalahhaly cross-Yeshwanthpur- Take right to reach tumkur road.
Old 18th December 2009, 15:16   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

If you are traveling from South Bangalore, it will still be better to take the Magadi road and join NH48 before Kunigal (not Kollegal). I would suggest you to take NICE till Magadi road and then go via Magadi.

Even though NICE road is complete till NH4 (Tumkur Road), there is still a lot of construction activity going on till Nelamangala and from Nelamangala to Kunigal, you have the road widening works going on and along with that add the chaotic traffic (in peak hours).

The reason I'd suggest Magadi road is that it will definitely save you a few kms on distance and will offer a comparatively traffic-free drive till you join NH48. Note that you will be crossing Magadi road on the way to NH4 on the NICE road.

My house in Bangalore is almost exactly located in between Yeshwantpur & Magadi road and after comparing the distances to Kunigal in both the routes, I've found out that the Magadi route is shorter by 1km
Old 18th December 2009, 15:26   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
The route would be
Old Airport - MG Road - JDP (Right turn) - Raj Bhavan - High Grouds - Mkhri Circle (Left turn)- Tata Institute-Yeshwanthpur-Tumkur Road.
But definetely this road will be full of traffic

Other longer route is , but simplest
Old Airport Road - Take ring road Marathally - KR Puram-Banaswadi-Hebbal-Jalahhaly cross-Yeshwanthpur- Take right to reach tumkur road.
I know an individual post for this topic under this thread is highly OT:

But let me conclude
Thanks sushrutha. I think i shall try the hebbal route. I used to drive through the Ulsoor-Mekhri circle- IISc Raod -Tumkur road which I have found cumbersome during peak hours.
Old 18th December 2009, 15:38   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
If you are traveling from South Bangalore, it will still be better to take the Magadi road and join NH48 before Kunigal (not Kollegal). I would suggest you to take NICE till Magadi road and then go via Magadi.

Even though NICE road is complete till NH4 (Tumkur Road), there is still a lot of construction activity going on till Nelamangala and from Nelamangala to Kunigal, you have the road widening works going on and along with that add the chaotic traffic (in peak hours).

The reason I'd suggest Magadi road is that it will definitely save you a few kms on distance and will offer a comparatively traffic-free drive till you join NH48. Note that you will be crossing Magadi road on the way to NH4 on the NICE road.

My house in Bangalore is almost exactly located in between Yeshwantpur & Magadi road and after comparing the distances to Kunigal in both the routes, I've found out that the Magadi route is shorter by 1km
Considering I want to take the Magadi Road and avoid Nelamangala starting on NICE road(Electronic City), should I proceed to Magadi Town/Village and from there hit NH48?
Is there proper directions on NICE marked to take deviation to Magadi Road? and from there on to NH48?
Old 18th December 2009, 15:57   #1515
BHPian

Last week when i travelled to Mangalore my bus left Majestic around 10.30PM and reached Nelmangala at 11.15PM. Thats one of the peak hours on the Tumkur road when all buses and trucks leave city. I found my bus going easily, so going by car should not be a problem.

Though road works are happening its much clear compared to earlier days. Where it used to take more than an hour just to cross from Jalahalli to Nelmangala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks