Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 16:05   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Considering I want to take the Magadi Road and avoid Nelamangala starting on NICE road(Electronic City), should I proceed to Magadi Town/Village and from there hit NH48?
Is there proper directions on NICE marked to take deviation to Magadi Road? and from there on to NH48?
There are ample directions on NICE road to the Magadi Road exit. While coming from Hosur road, you have to take a left 'U' turn at the Magadi road exit and take a right at the main road. This road will take you straight to Magadi and from there to Kunigal.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:55   #1517
Team-BHP Support

Folks,

Thanks for the answers. Not that I am planning to go on these routes in the near future, I was just curious. Also everytime I goto Vijayanagar area, I really used to get frustrated by the constructions happening on the Magadi roiad. Also traffic is invariably high. So, I was just wondering if this is the case all along this stretch.

Thanks Again.
Old 19th December 2009, 23:04   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Bangalore-Nelamangala is pathetic due to road widening and heavy traffic. Nelamangala-Hassan which used to be a dream road has also gone for a toss thanks to the 4-laning work. It is really painful to drive through there. Hassan-Mangalore has been well documented by other forum members.
Today I tried the Bangalore - Mangalore stretch via Shiradi.

1. Bangalore - Hassan (Best among available Stretch) took 3:30 Hrs

2. Hassan - Sakleshpur (OK stretch) took 1:10 Hrs

3. Sakleshpur - Gundia (Horrible Stretch ) took 1:30 Hrs. - found very few private cars plying on Shiradi except for the Govt Volvo and non-Volvo buses. No improvement compared to September.
If you plan to take this stretch, set your mind to go very slow to avoid any potential damage. Bad but do-able.

4. Gundia - BC Road (good stretch)

5. BC Road to Mangalore (again bad) (4 + 5) took 2 Hrs
Old 19th December 2009, 23:42   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

3. Sakleshpur - Gundia (Horrible Stretch ) took 1:30 Hrs. - found very few private cars plying on Shiradi except for the Govt Volvo and non-Volvo buses. No improvement compared to September.
If you plan to take this stretch, set your mind to go very slow to avoid any potential damage. Bad but do-able.
1.30 hours to come down the ghat, that's a good timing in a car. You almost came down the ghat like the Mangalore private buses who close their eyes and drive down. Hope your car is fine.

Last edited by kadri007 : 19th December 2009 at 23:53.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:46   #1520
Senior - BHPian

well well now nh48 see,s to be a better option

even i took about 2hours to do bc road to mangalore and i was shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Today I tried the Bangalore - Mangalore stretch via Shiradi.

1. Bangalore - Hassan (Best among available Stretch) took 3:30 Hrs

2. Hassan - Sakleshpur (OK stretch) took 1:10 Hrs

4. Gundia - BC Road (good stretch)

5. BC Road to Mangalore (again bad) (4 + 5) took 2 Hrs
Old 21st December 2009, 10:03   #1521
Senior - BHPian

on 25th Morning, my brother's family (bro, wife, kid) along with my parents (mother, father) would be traveling to Udupi in a Zen Estilo, They stay in south Banaglore (BTM Layout)

I have suggested them to take the following route

BTM Layout - NICE road - Kengeri - Magadi Road - Magadi Town - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Vastara - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapur - Agumbe - Someshwar - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi.

They would be taking a stop at Belur to visit the temple.

Just wanted to confirm the latest road conditions on this stretch.
Has anyone travelled on this stretch recently ?
Old 21st December 2009, 10:39   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
on 25th Morning, my brother's family (bro, wife, kid) along with my parents (mother, father) would be traveling to Udupi in a Zen Estilo, They stay in south Banaglore (BTM Layout)

BTM Layout - NICE road - Kengeri - Magadi Road - Magadi Town - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Vastara - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapur - Agumbe - Someshwar - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi.

I would suggest taking the Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi- Ujre- Naravi - Karkala - Udpui route. It would be a shorter route i think.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:47   #1523
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

I will also be travelling to Udupi on 25.12.2009. I will take the Madikeri route. I plan to visit Kateel, Mangalore and later head to Udupi in the evening.
In the route mentioned by you, the Chickmagalur-Vastara is ok, Vastara - Aldur - Balehonnur stretch is quite pot hole ridden. same is the case via Agumbe upto Udupi.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:22   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I will also be travelling to Udupi on 25.12.2009. I will take the Madikeri route. I plan to visit Kateel, Mangalore and later head to Udupi in the evening.
In the route mentioned by you, the Chickmagalur-Vastara is ok, Vastara - Aldur - Balehonnur stretch is quite pot hole ridden. same is the case via Agumbe upto Udupi.

Try out this route to avoid BC road - Mangalore stretch.

BC Road (Look out for Polali Temple Dwara on the right side) Take this road to reach Kateel directly.

BC Road - Polali (Temple) - Kaikamba Junction (Left) - Bajpe (Right) - Kateel.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:12   #1525
BHPian

All ,

My Scorpio never had any issues . For any other car ( Leaving SUV class ) all of there bellies will go for a toss .

I saw Sonta Embera , Octavia all struggling to keep there backs in tact . Alll 30 Kms is bad and really bad . Even u can see some trucks struggling on these road.

Photos of Shiradi Ghats will be provided shortly

The best road to check for any one who has purchased any SUV with 4 X 4 is Shiradi Ghats . I could see a lot of Fortuners testing the tracks of Shiradi Ghats . The only cars i could see crossing the Ghats was either a TATA Sumo ,Scorpio , or Fortuners .

I don't think even some one can dare to bring a Innova ....

Last edited by Dippy : 21st December 2009 at 17:41. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:25   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I would suggest taking the Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi- Ujre- Naravi - Karkala - Udpui route. It would be a shorter route i think.
No. I made this mistake last time. Belur to Mudigere is bad and worse from then on. Your origianal route via Sringeri is the best. In fact I would be driving to Udupi on 25th too. But I prefer driving at night. The idea is to arrive at Sringeri by day break and be home for breakfast. Last time I came by Agumbe but will try SK border - Karkala this time.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:37   #1527
Senior - BHPian

"BC Road - Polali (Temple)"

this stretch was very good a year back, not sure now only that it was narrow and one would get carried away ...

Quote:

BC Road (Look out for Polali Temple Dwara on the right side) Take this road to reach Kateel directly.

Old 21st December 2009, 12:44   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kadri, bullinb, MCR, Lohit
I will share the inputs given by you with my brother and let him decide.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:07   #1529
MCR
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Kadri007. I will take the route - BC Road - Modankap - Kaikamba- Turn right at Holy family girls high school after Bajpe airport and reach Kateel.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:16   #1530
BHPian

Please notice that there are no more iron ore trucks in this area . The damage that done is very very evident .
It has literally cut cross the roads into 2-3 parts .

I saw a brand new Sonata struggling to cross the roads .I heard from one of my friends that even they had problem with there Octavia .

The best car i could find to cross this worse terrain was ( u can't believe it ) an Alto . He was literally driving or matching my Scorpio speed in these bad roads . While covering from Sakleshpur to Gundia Gate, i was in 2nd gear for the most of the ride. Scorpio did start tumbling a bit . While coming back from kukke , i was driving @ 3rd gear at a higher speed . The tumbling reduced and the Scorpio came out winning ( I learn t my lesson on how to drive on a bad stretch )

God knows when our NHAI will come to senses to get this road right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks