Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 16:07   #1531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Today I tried the Bangalore - Mangalore stretch via Shiradi.

1. Bangalore - Hassan (Best among available Stretch) took 3:30 Hrs

2. Hassan - Sakleshpur (OK stretch) took 1:10 Hrs

3. Sakleshpur - Gundia (Horrible Stretch ) took 1:30 Hrs. - found very few private cars plying on Shiradi except for the Govt Volvo and non-Volvo buses. No improvement compared to September.
If you plan to take this stretch, set your mind to go very slow to avoid any potential damage. Bad but do-able.

4. Gundia - BC Road (good stretch)

5. BC Road to Mangalore (again bad) (4 + 5) took 2 Hrs
3.5+1.1+1.5+1.10 mins(assuming) for Gundia - BC Road = 7hrs 20 mins to BC Road
Distance saved 38 kms.
Horrible ghat section, Traffic all throughout-buses(more than a thousand of them ply here),trucks, tankers and what not == Not such a great drive

Via Madikeri to BC Road:
Bangalore-Kushalnagar - 3hrs 20 mins max
Kushalnagar-Madikeri - 40mins - 1hr
Madikeri-Sullia - 1hr-1hr 20 mins
Sullia - BC Road - 1hr - 1hr10mins

Total time 7hrs to BC Raod(Max)
Beautiful roads(certified) ,mostly 4 lane with not a single pothole till Kushalnagar,absolutely no truck traffic(assuming peak hours i.e. night),no buses,tankers or the like
38kms more(works out to 2.5 litres of more diesel) but peace of mind assured.

That is why I prefer the Madikeri route to Mangalore. I used to travel by NH48 atleast 10 -12 times a year on bikes, cars till 2007 when this road went for a toss and has never since improved except for a brief period in June 2008 when the much hyped concrete work in Shiradi ghats took place Have travelled NH48 even in its present condition and it really is a pity seeing its condition now.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Dippy : 21st December 2009 at 17:44. Reason: See note in post.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:05   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Horrible ghat section, Traffic all throughout-buses(more than a thousand of them ply here),trucks, tankers and what not == Not such a great drive
Like city traffic, ghats also have some peak hours so try avoiding these times in Shiradi ghat if you want to try it. It would be cross country race experience.

11.30 PM to 2.00 AM and 3.00AM to 5.30AM. These are the worst hours for driving in any four wheeler since you will be haunted by speeding buses.

6.00 AM to 9.00 AM the Bullet tankers start climbing since they are not allowed at night. But not a worry as they climb slowly.

5.00 PM to 7.00 PM again you will find a lot of trucks climbing.
Old 22nd December 2009, 19:20   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Like city traffic, ghats also have some peak hours so try avoiding these times in Shiradi ghat if you want to try it. It would be cross country race experience.

11.30 PM to 2.00 AM and 3.00AM to 5.30AM. These are the worst hours for driving in any four wheeler since you will be haunted by speeding buses.

6.00 AM to 9.00 AM the Bullet tankers start climbing since they are not allowed at night. But not a worry as they climb slowly.

5.00 PM to 7.00 PM again you will find a lot of trucks climbing.
Exactly @kadri007!! So I better not try this stretch till I buy myself a new SUV. God knows when that will be
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:17   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Exactly @kadri007!! So I better not try this stretch till I buy myself a new SUV. God knows when that will be
When i went last time in three or four places the bus was hitting the ground. It made loud noises. The potholes are like mini wells. Since the drivers don't own the bus, they don't care of it.

So currently this stretch is not advisable especially in a car. It would be just stressful even if you want to have a adventure in this road.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:45   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
on 25th Morning, my brother's family (bro, wife, kid) along with my parents (mother, father) would be traveling to Udupi in a Zen Estilo, They stay in south Banaglore (BTM Layout)

I have suggested them to take the following route

BTM Layout - NICE road - Kengeri - Magadi Road - Magadi Town - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Vastara - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapur - Agumbe - Someshwar - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi.

They would be taking a stop at Belur to visit the temple.

Just wanted to confirm the latest road conditions on this stretch.
Has anyone travelled on this stretch recently ?
I will be driving along this route from Whitefield till Belur and go on to Banakal on the Charmadi Ghat route. Can you PM me their vehicle number? If I come across them somewhere on the way I can say Hi to your folks - if they don't mind.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:51   #1536
Senior - BHPian

I will be travelling from Bangalore to Ujjire next week. Is the road between Sakleshpur and Gundia post really bad for my Palio? If so, what other road can I take? Is BLR-Chikkamagalur-Mudigere-Ujjire any better?
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:18   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I will be travelling from Bangalore to Ujjire next week. Is the road between Sakleshpur and Gundia post really bad for my Palio? If so, what other road can I take? Is BLR-Chikkamagalur-Mudigere-Ujjire any better?

Yes it is. Also Nelmangala - Kunigal stretch road work is going on in full swing. Its not smooth ride as earlier days.

And no need to go to Chickmaglur if you want to take Charmadi route to Ujjire.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:28   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is. Also Nelmangala - Kunigal stretch road work is going on in full swing. Its not smooth ride as earlier days.

And no need to go to Chickmaglur if you want to take Charmadi route to Ujjire.
Thanks for your reply. Nelamangala-Kunigal is not a problem for me, as I stay at Padmanabhanagar, and I can take the Magadi road, which will join NH48 pretty close to Kunigal.

Also, can you please let me know how I can bypass CKM?
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:31   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
I will be driving along this route from Whitefield till Belur and go on to Banakal on the Charmadi Ghat route. Can you PM me their vehicle number? If I come across them somewhere on the way I can say Hi to your folks - if they don't mind.
I think many are leaving early morning from Bangalore and most of them are driving upto Hassan as a common route.

Though I will not be a part of it. I think if planned a Team BHP caravan can be made.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:37   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Thanks for your reply. Nelamangala-Kunigal is not a problem for me, as I stay at Padmanabhanagar, and I can take the Magadi road, which will join NH48 pretty close to Kunigal.

Also, can you please let me know how I can bypass CKM?
You need to take a left in Belur Junction and head towards Gonibedu - Mudigere and from there Kottighera.

After that its Charmadi ghat.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:45   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
on 25th Morning, my brother's family (bro, wife, kid) along with my parents (mother, father) would be traveling to Udupi in a Zen Estilo, They stay in south Banaglore (BTM Layout)

I have suggested them to take the following route

BTM Layout - NICE road - Kengeri - Magadi Road - Magadi Town - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Vastara - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapur - Agumbe - Someshwar - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi.

They would be taking a stop at Belur to visit the temple.

Just wanted to confirm the latest road conditions on this stretch.
Has anyone travelled on this stretch recently ?
Seems like a bunch of bhpians' are traveling this route. I am traveling on 25th morning(430 am start) towards Kundapur by the above route. The only difference is Hebri-Kundapur instead of Hebri-Manipal.

My car(Chevy AVEO sedan) has the number plate logos and Tacho BHP stickers at the rear bumper ! I know it would be hard to spot the stickers on a speeding vehicle on SH/NHs. But just in case someone spots, honk/flash lights or do whatever you can to stop me so that we can stop by and have a quick chat !
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:47   #1542
BHPian

Ok, off I start my journey this afternoon @ 2 PM.
My journey would be covering Sringeri, Horanadu, Udupi, Dharmasthala, Kukke Subramanya. winding up on sunday back to bangalore in my Dzire Clear Beige Color with T-BHP stickers on it . Keep looking, wave your hand or stop by if you spot me. Karnataka registered vehicle with last 3 digits as "068"
Will post the conditions and surely a travelogue once back.

Thanks to all fellow TBHPans for all the help.

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 23rd December 2009 at 12:51.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:55   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to take a left in Belur Junction and head towards Gonibedu - Mudigere and from there Kottighera.

After that its Charmadi ghat.
@kadri007, thanks a lot. It looks like the most sensible route now. Plus, you get an excuse to drive on that brilliant Hassan-Belur road.
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:05   #1544
Senior - BHPian

Well in this case i can welcome the gang either at "pumpwell circle" or "kotara chowki" hehe

now the road is almost in good shape till panambur..it seems about 100mts road is still to be fixed at surathkal, rest is good.

Quote:
I think many are leaving early morning from Bangalore and most of them are driving upto Hassan as a common route.

Though I will not be a part of it. I think if planned a Team BHP caravan can be made.
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:13   #1545
MCR
BHPian

I will be travelling to Udupi on 25.12.2009. I will take the Madikeri route upto BC road.
From BC road I will go to Kateel for a Quick darshan and later head towards Udupi. So, if you spot a Med.Grey Grande Punto with "Driven By" TBHP sticker do honk/flash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks