Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:36   #1681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Swift (that too new one) is a strict 'No No' on this stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Please dont even dream of taking Shiradi ghat road. Its just horrible.
Thank you Bullfrog and Kadri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Neither. Stick to the route you had originally planned. That is the best route to Udupi as of now. I'd driven down around Christmas and the condition was good. A couple of frequent travelers that I know of also swear by it.
Bullinb, You are saying no to Charmadi as well? This is what I originally planned.

Blore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Mudigere - Kottighera - Charmadi - Belthangady- Mudabidri - Karkal - Udupi
Old 4th February 2010, 03:18   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Blore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Mudigere - Kottighera - Charmadi - Belthangady- Mudabidri - Karkal - Udupi
This might be the best of the options available, as of now.

There is also another option of approaching kottigehara, by proceeding further towards sakleshpur from hassan, and taking a right towards kottigehara/horanadu after 3 kms from sakleshpur town.

Take your pick!
Old 4th February 2010, 10:50   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
Bullinb, You are saying no to Charmadi as well? This is what I originally planned.

The best route is,

Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukh - Bajagoli - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi

see this post for distance break up.

Alternatively, if you are OK with about 25km of bad roads between Agumbe and Hebri, the option below is about 40km shorter.

Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi

Either way you should be able to cover the distance in about 7 to 8 hours.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:11   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Alternatively, if you are OK with about 25km of bad roads between Agumbe and Hebri, the option below is about 40km shorter.

Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi

Either way you should be able to cover the distance in about 7 to 8 hours.
Three curves of Agumbe are in a mess(i guess 4,5 and 6) and going down is ok.. but climbing up is tricky.. stick to the left while going down and way up, stick to the right on these curves

after someshwara, to hebri, may be now its less than 10KM that is narrow and in bad shape, rest is ok(can be driven 60kmph) and after hebri its ok

this is my personal feedback after a drive on 26th Jan
Old 4th February 2010, 12:15   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
There is also another option of approaching kottigehara, by proceeding further towards sakleshpur from hassan, and taking a right towards kottigehara/horanadu after 3 kms from sakleshpur town.

Take your pick!
But will be longer by 25kms, if compared with Belur-Mudigere stretch.
One has to take right at Aanemahal, 3kms after Sakleshpura.
Route is as follows.
Sakelshpura-Aanemahal-Hanbal-Jannapura-Mudigere.
Single lane road till Jannapura.
But Hanbal-Jannapura-Mudigere is in pathetic condition.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:36   #1686
Senior - BHPian

sheesh, every where i see pot holed roads. not even a single decent route to commute between costal city and capital city of a state. :(

now that the roads arent repaired, the condition is going to be worse once it starts raining. Such a sad state of roads.

My friend has decided to take up the Mysore Madikeri route! lets wait for his feedback
Old 4th February 2010, 18:46   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
sheesh, every where i see pot holed roads. not even a single decent route to commute between costal city and capital city of a state. :(

now that the roads arent repaired, the condition is going to be worse once it starts raining. Such a sad state of roads.

My friend has decided to take up the Mysore Madikeri route! lets wait for his feedback
I heard that Mysore-madikeri would mean more bad roads(kushalnagar-madikeri-sampaje) around 40-50kms

When i talked to few guys in Kamat who had taken shiradi, they were like..its horrible, but its just 15-20 kms, rest is good road
Old 4th February 2010, 22:06   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I heard that Mysore-Madikeri would mean more bad roads(kushalnagar-madikeri-sampaje) around 40-50kms

When i talked to few guys in Kamat who had taken shiradi, they were like..its horrible, but its just 15-20 kms, rest is good road
Mysore - Madikeri route is longer and time consuming, the roads after Mysore is narrow. No point taking this route if you are heading to Udupi.

The 15-20 KM of Shiradi roads are good enough to damage your car. Even though I traveled by bus, sleeping in Air suspension sleeper coach my body started to pain by the stress of the road. So imagine if you are driving the car yourself. So not a good option to try this road to spoil your holiday.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:22   #1689
BHPian

Made an overnight trip by personal transport to M'lore, via. Madikeri. The good thing is, the new road goes on till Suntikoppa (starting from Kushalnagar), but the bad part is that the road from then on until Madikeri is blocked by concrete walls on either sides! There is a huge signboard indicating a diversion to be taken to reach Madikeri (and on the other end, to reach Suntikoppa), but like the Saarige bus ahead of me, i too decided to flaunt the sign and follow it . Frankly, didn't want to get lost in the middle of the night, with nobody to ask directions for.
A word of caution for those treading along the blocked path: The road's too narrow now, with the other lane dug up, and mounds of mud being stacked. Another vehicle from the opposite end (yes, those that flaunt the sign from the Madikeri end, hehe. And for me it was a nice meet with 2 Airavat's) will make you run for cover, to find a place to pull over.

Anyways, once the new road laying on the above stretch is complete, hopefully latest by onset of monsoon, a smooth drive from B'lore upto Madikeri awaits us

Last edited by dkamath : 5th February 2010 at 12:24. Reason: typo errors corrected
Old 5th February 2010, 23:43   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I heard that Mysore-madikeri would mean more bad roads(kushalnagar-madikeri-sampaje) around 40-50kms

I had taken the route from Kasargod-Jalsur-Sulya-Sampaje-Madikeri-Srigangapatna-Blr on Jan 26. The section between Sampaje and Madikeri is particularly bad. I did manage to navigate my Civic without bottoming out, but it meant very patient 1-st gear driving for a large part. Took me more than an hour to cover the 20-odd km. MAdikeri-Kushalnagara is relatively better, but only slightly. Work is in full swing to make this section better. I feel it will take another 6 months. From the looks of the completed road (from Kushalagara to Hunsur and further), this will turn out to be a brilliant route soon.
Old 6th February 2010, 00:13   #1691
Senior - BHPian

oh! some good new on new roads? any new of road repair from Madikeri to Sullya? Hope there will be a repair before monsoon!
Old 7th February 2010, 10:37   #1692
Senior - BHPian

ah..Good news on madikeri route! but better to avoid it till its completed gets risky..

btw any updates on nh48?
Old 7th February 2010, 14:17   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
The best route is,
Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Magundi - Balehole - Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukh - Bajagoli - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi
Thank you Bullinb, I am now in udupi and took the above route. The roads are good but a few rough roads after chikmagalur till Kudremukh. I think the total distance comes to about 470kms. Too many curvy roads after chikmagalur, sometimes it was fun to drive and sometimes its not coz you cannot drive more than 50 km/hr.

While having tea at Kalasa, one of the shopkeepers told me that Charmadi ghat is now repaired and its good. I will be taking the Charmadi route tommorrow to Blore and will keep you guys updated.
Old 8th February 2010, 00:42   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Too many curvy roads after chikmagalur, sometimes it was fun to drive and sometimes its not coz you cannot drive more than 50 km/hr.
Very true. That why I usually drive this stretch at night, when it is easy to spot the oncoming traffic by the headlamp beam, and take the racing line - a lot easier to drive and much faster.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:06   #1695
BHPian

Back to Blore.

Route: Udupi-Karkala-Belthangady-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Belur-Hassan-Kunigal-Magadi-Blore

Started at 3:30 AM, reached at 10:30 AM (NICE road). Total 7 hrs including 3 tea breaks and 1 for breakfast. Total kms - 425

The Charmadi ghat road is fantastic. 95% new road and 5% rough road. No potholes, yes, None. Even the road from Udupi to Kottigehara is superb.

After Kottigehara, I took a right before Mudigere (big mistake). Million potholes till you reach Belur. After that, no stopping. You can cruise between 120-140 kms/hr. So currently, Charmadi route is the best!

Most Viewed