Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 08:56   #1726
Senior - BHPian

I have driven from Belur cross to Banglore 3 days back.Four lane work is going on with lot of deviations but can maintain good speeds.Lot of traffic too as I was driving in the afternoon.The four laning is from Neelamangala to Belur cross after that no work is happening.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:14   #1727
BHPian

Guys, what is the latest on shiradi ghat? Is any thing planned for this road? Are any repairs taking place? I am really hoping that this route gets fixed soon. It will be a boon to so many of us and others.
Old 15th February 2010, 14:12   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
I will be driving down to Mangalore on 17th Feb. Most likely to start at 4pm. Need inputs from people who have driven down lately. Which route is better to reach Kunigal; via Magadi or via Nelamangala?

I have decided to drive via Shiradi ghats for the simple reason that this is the shortest route and apart from the 36 kms of ghat section the roads are reasonably ok.
The Magadi route to Kunigal is really good with minimal traffic. Dont even think of Nelamangala route that too at 4PM.

Shiradi is in real bad condition. I took the Charmadi route to Udupi a week back and this is in excellent condition. This is currently the best route.
Old 15th February 2010, 14:25   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Guys, what is the latest on shiradi ghat? Is any thing planned for this road? Are any repairs taking place? I am really hoping that this route gets fixed soon. It will be a boon to so many of us and others.

Here is the latest update on Shiradi Ghat repairs. Here's one news piece.

MANGALORE, February 15, 2010: The National Highway Mangalore division is in a fix, it can’t find contractors to repair the NH 48 stretch in the Shirady ghat. Contractors who have carried out the repair and relaying work on this stretch are unsure of giving warranty to the longevity of the road. GALORE, February 15, 2010: The National Highway Mangalore division is in a fix, it can’t find contractors to repair the NH 48 stretch in the Shirady ghat. Contractors who have carried out the repair and relaying work on this stretch are unsure of giving warranty to the longevity of the road.

For more read the below link.

http://mangalorean.com/news.php?news...dcastid=169109
Old 15th February 2010, 14:39   #1730
Senior - BHPian

same old issue!

this is very interesting though!

"Contractors who have carried out the repair and relaying work on this stretch are unsure of giving warranty to the longevity of the road. "

cause they know their quality of work wont stay for more then a month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Here is the latest update on Shiradi Ghat repairs. Here's one news piece.

MANGALORE, February 15, 2010: The National Highway Mangalore division is in a fix, it can’t find contractors to repair the NH 48 stretch in the Shirady ghat. Contractors who have carried out the repair and relaying work on this stretch are unsure of giving warranty to the longevity of the road. GALORE, February 15, 2010: The National Highway Mangalore division is in a fix, it can’t find contractors to repair the NH 48 stretch in the Shirady ghat. Contractors who have carried out the repair and relaying work on this stretch are unsure of giving warranty to the longevity of the road.

For more read the below link.

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!
Old 19th February 2010, 13:00   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the road conditions between Chikmagalur & Agumbe-Someshwara-Kundapura. I am planning to go to Goa (via Hassan), so was checking out the options.

Couple of options on this route are

1. Blr-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Kundapura-NH17

2. Blr-Hassan-Belur-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Belthangadi-Karkala-Kundapura-NH17

If road conditions are manageable for a Swift on the 1st route, I guess, I will take that route.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:42   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
I will be driving down to Mangalore on 17th Feb. Most likely to start at 4pm. Need inputs from people who have driven down lately. Which route is better to reach Kunigal; via Magadi or via Nelamangala?

I have decided to drive via Shiradi ghats for the simple reason that this is the shortest route and apart from the 36 kms of ghat section the roads are reasonably ok.
Started at 4.15pm from home in HBR Layout. Took the ring road upto BEL circle and then continued on HMT road to reach Tumkur Road. Travelled on the Magadi road to reach Kunigal. From Sunkadakatte till the NICE road junction, Magadi road is bad. Potholed roads plus road widening work is going on. Stopped for dinner at Kamat Updachar (45 min break). Patch work on Shiradi Ghat has started as you drive down, but too little is being done for the severity of the problem. Had to travel at extremely slow speeds on this strech. Reach home in Mangalore at 1:00AM. Total distance: 359 kms. Diesel consumed: 23.90 litres giving a FE of 15.02km/ltr.

Started again at 4.15pm from Mangalore and reached Kamat Upachar at 9:15pm. Started again at 10pm and we were at home in Bangalore at 1.00AM. Time taken from Gundya to Sakaleshpur (bad stretch of roads)- 1 hour 32 min. distance: 32 kms. Had to drive on 2nd gear mostly for extended distances.

After Kunigal, again took the Magadi Road to avoid the mess at Nelamangala.

BC Road to Mangalore is much better now and you can manage this distance in 45 minutes.

I am yet to fill up Diesel in the tank so will do the return journey FE in a couple of days.

Last edited by prabhusati : 19th February 2010 at 13:50.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:45   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

If road conditions are manageable for a Swift on the 1st route, I guess, I will take that route.
I last travelled on first route on Jan 23rd-27th and road is good except for 3 curves on Agumbe and about 10 kms between Someshawara-Hebri(narrow road) ..all this on Swift

Most of the stretch has been patched and though its not smooth, its not bad either
Old 19th February 2010, 14:30   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Any updates on the road conditions between Chikmagalur & Agumbe-Someshwara-Kundapura. I am planning to go to Goa (via Hassan), so was checking out the options.

Couple of options on this route are

Why don't you go via Shimoga - Sagar - Honnavar? That seems to be the favourite route of TBHPians heading to Goa from Bangalore. Unless you have a reason to touch Kundapur, you'd avoid the maniacal traffic from Udupi almost up to Bhatkala. Route 2 will add seriously more miles to the trip.

To reach BH road you could either do Hassan - Arasikere or Hassan - CKM - Kadur. From what I've heard, CKM - Kadur is not great. No idea about Hassan - Aarasikere. Been on Hassan - Halebidu - Banavara and it is pathetic.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:33   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Why don't you go via Shimoga - Sagar - Honnavar? That seems to be the favourite route of TBHPians heading to Goa from Bangalore. Unless you have a reason to touch Kundapur, you'd avoid the maniacal traffic from Udupi almost up to Bhatkala. Route 2 will add seriously more miles to the trip.

To reach BH road you could either do Hassan - Arasikere or Hassan - CKM - Kadur. From what I've heard, CKM - Kadur is not great. No idea about Hassan - Aarasikere. Been on Hassan - Halebidu - Banavara and it is pathetic.
Yep, I am contemplating that route as well & have posted a query on the Bangalore-Goa thread

To reach Shimoga from Hassan I usually take Hassan-Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli-Tarikere-BH road. This route was pretty good until the end of last monsoon and should be holding up well (hopefully).

Hassan-Arsikere route is pathetic from Hassan Dairy till Dudda village, some 11 kms, after that it is better.

Any update on the NH 17 after Kundapura? I'll be taking this route only as a last resort.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 19th February 2010 at 15:35.
Old 19th February 2010, 16:27   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
. I am planning to go to Goa (via Hassan),

Hi Addy,

Last month my cousins had been to Goa by road, the roads after Kundapur is in good conditions.

I feel the second option would be much better on road conditions. There are lot of good hotels, etc.

The first route is narrow and has lot of curves. Not many good hotels since most of it are in village limits.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:04   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Unless you have a reason to touch Kundapur, you'd avoid the maniacal traffic from Udupi almost up to Bhatkala. Route 2 will add seriously more miles to the trip.
Traffic on NH 17 is normal after Mining trucks have stopped. After Kundapur the traffic is pretty low.

For people who have driven in Bangalore roads, the traffic is nothing. Its easily managable.

Just watch out for private buses on Udupi- Bhatkal route. They almost fly in this route.

There are many tourist places and the route is beautiful. Dont miss to stop at Maravanthe beach on the way.
Old 21st February 2010, 10:20   #1738
BHPian

hi bhpians I am new to mangalore just moved here from chennai -iam planning a road trip from managalore to chennai in my new grande punto (done about 1000ks in 3 weeks) . I would really appreciate if u could give me tips on best route for mangalore to bangalore .. will be leaving from kadri hopefully early morning on tuesday.. thanks in advance
Old 21st February 2010, 14:14   #1739
BHPian

Hi GR8Native,

Welcome to Mangalore, you need to take the following route.

Kadri - Nanthoor circle right -Pumpwell circle left from here the NH 48 starts.

Mlore- After BC Road town take a left at junction - Guruvanayakere - Belthangady - Ujrie - Charmadi Ghat - Kottighehara - Mudigere - Belur Cross - Hassan - Chenrayapatna - Kunigal - Nelmangala - Bangalore (NICE Road towards Hosur Road) - Chennai

If you are familar with Bangalore you can take the Magadi road from Kunigal to hit NICE Road. If you are not familar keep driving in NH48 only. But the road after Kunigal till Nelmangala is in bad condition due to road work.

NICE is the outer ring road of Bangalore. This will help you to avoid the Bangalore city traffic.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:28   #1740
BHPian

thanks a lot @kadri007 appreciate your help very much. I have just mapped the route on google maps here is the link
mangalore to bangalore

can you have a look and let me know if its right.thanks once again and any suggestions for things to do enroute and eating places enroute.. thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks