Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:24   #1771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
we decided to stick with Bangalore - Nelmangala - Kunigal - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi
Can you please provide distance-wise break up of the Chickmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe sector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Udupi - Barkur - Hebri - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Tarikere - Arsikere - Tiptur - Tumkur
This was way better than the one we took while going to udupi. I notice this route hasn't been mentioned by others so maybe a regular on the Bangalore - Udupi route can comment on this route compared to the Kudremukh one.
I guess because this is way too long.
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:26   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
hmmm since you travel on a regular basis..

Which bus/operator you feel is consistent in terms of Quality/service?
Here are few private operators whom you can try:

2+2 Volvo Semi Sleeper - Ballal Tourist, VRL

2+1 AC Sleeper - Durgamba, Sugama, Ideal Travels

2+1 Non AC Sleeper - VRL, Durgamba, Sugama.

2+1 Non AC Seater - Sugama, Vishal Motors

2+2 Non AC Seater - Durgamba

Again Durgamba/Sugama has many buses, a few are not in good conditions, but services are prompt and reliable.

Not Advisable: Manjunath, Pragathi, Muzain, HN, Kukkeshree, MB Travels, Canra Pinto, etc
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:35   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Kundapura

Guys,

This is probably slightly OT for this thread unless we rename it to 'The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi/Kundapura'

I am driving from Bangalore to Kundapura and am trying to work out the optimal route, given that I am put up in Whitefield/Marathalli area. This is what I have in mind unless someone on the forum can point out a better alternative for any sector:

Whitefield - ORR/Sarjapura Road - Hosa Road - Hosur Road interchange - NICE road - Magadi Road interchange - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur -Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwar - Haladi - Kundapura

This route should be (approx) 450 kms I guess - do not have the exact distances on the Aldur - Agumbe sector as it is not available on Google Maps!

Thanks in advance...
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:38   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Kadri, thanks a ton for all the info

i will give a try to KSRTC, if not i guess will stick to "Seabird"

btw coming back i might ride, as i need to pick my bull from Bangalore.
i think "CHarmadi" is the idea route? or the SHiradi
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:56   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i travel almost every week to Mangalore in Volvo. 4 months back i had faced Volvo break down issue back to back like 3 times in 2 months.

Never faced volvo break down issue before or after that. So i am going to stick to volvo

EDIT:

Quote:
Not Advisable: Manjunath, Pragathi, Muzain, HN, Kukkeshree, MB Travels, Canra Pinto, etc
i must add ideal also to list. they ask you to get down at Gandhi nagar and wait for next connecting bus to go to Jayanagar etc. Not only me many a times my kins/ friends have experienced this.

is it same even now or has it improved?

Last edited by recshenoy : 2nd March 2010 at 19:00.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:36   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
i will give a try to KSRTC, if not i guess will stick to "Seabird"

btw coming back i might ride, as i need to pick my bull from Bangalore.
i think "CHarmadi" is the idea route? or the SHiradi
Compared to KSRTC Volvo, Ballal Motors and VRL is much better. Sea Bird Isuzu would be also exciting to try. I will be trying it on Friday.

Shiradi .. No way... Charmadi is much much better, but from Hassan go to Chickmaglur and then to Kottighehara.

Refer the below thread it was updated recently.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/33559-weekend-trip-chikmagalur-3.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
i travel almost every week to Mangalore in Volvo. 4 months back i had faced Volvo break down issue back to back like 3 times in 2 months.

i must add ideal also to list. they ask you to get down at Gandhi nagar and wait for next connecting bus to go to Jayanagar etc.
Since i get down before Majestic, I have not faced this problem. But Ideal AC sleeper was in good condition.

Last edited by kadri007 : 2nd March 2010 at 20:37.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:11   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I am driving from Bangalore to Kundapura and am trying to work out the optimal route, given that I am put up in Whitefield/Marathalli area.
Whitefield - ORR/Sarjapura Road - Hosa Road - Hosur Road interchange - NICE road - Magadi Road interchange - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur -Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwar - Haladi - Kundapura
If you are starting early morning before 7AM. Then you can go through Majestic to Magadi road. Else you can take NICE road. But this road would be very long.

Even if you are taking ORR- NICE road in evening time, you will have a lot of traffic and you may take a much longer time to reach Magadi road, so if you take the Whitefield - Old Madras road - Ulsoor - Majestic - Magadi Road you might end up taking even less time.

From Chickmaglur you can try this option Kottighehara - Charmadi - Belthangady - Karkala - Udupi route to Kundapura.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/33559-weekend-trip-chikmagalur-3.html

Last edited by kadri007 : 2nd March 2010 at 21:28.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:16   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Having tried almost all the operators on this route ,I would say KSRTC is the best ..though the last time I travelled,the bus had a cooling problem where the indicator showed 22 degrees C ,but it was sweating in the rear.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:26   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Having tried almost all the operators on this route ,I would say KSRTC is the best ..though the last time I travelled,the bus had a cooling problem where the indicator showed 22 degrees C ,but it was sweating in the rear.
I have experienced this problem and don't be carried away by it.

Once a KSRTC Volvo driver admitted that they off the AC to get more power and more speed especially in the Shiradi ghat. It came as a real surprise to me.

Many of the Volvo drivers be it private or KSRTC they reduce the AC in Shiradi ghat to get more pick up. This sounds actually wired to me since Volvo has got enough power to pickup in any ghat section.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:36   #1780
BHPian

[quote=kadri007;1760366][quote=lohithrao;1760213]Ok some good info on the "buses" also

Continuing my query, has anyone traveled in KSRT volvos?
have heard offlate the breakdown rate has increased?

used to take the 9 or 9:15pm buses which used to reach by 5:45..6 am
Quote:

Travelling by KSRTC Volvo's you need to have a good luck. If you are lucky you will get a new volvo bus which would be in good condition and clean.

If your luck is bad then you may end up with a old volvo bus whose seats are old and is not in good condition.

I travelled last in Volvo KSRTC during Dasara time. It took the Mysore route. Compared to earlier days KSRTC volvo's have become slow.

Many people have a misconception that private bus reach late. But actually if you see most of the KSRTC volvo buses start early hence they reach early. Private volvo's genrelly leave at around 11PM from Mangalore. The journey time is the same be it KSRTC or Private.

Ballal Volvo is slow, but VRL Volvo had a amazing speed.

Manjunath Vovlo, its in a horrible condition.
I have traveled in all kind of buses in Mangalore - Bangalore route since 2005. After trail and error, i stick with Sugama A/C sleeper buses. Reasons,

1) Less cockroaches compared to Ideal and Durgamba
2) It starts from Vijaya bank layout which is walkable distance from my house.
3) Being a regular customer to Sugama, i always get tickets.
4) Buses are in good condition compared to other A/C Sleepers. A/C will be kept at 21C.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:25   #1781
BHPian

Breaking news : Situation in Shimoga, Hassan is not fine. And in Mangalore they have burnt the Prajavani Newspaper office. Please get an update and travel safely.
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:35   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
OT.
WOW good to see speedsatya back into this thread ... Almost 3 years huh.
So which car now satya(since you sold you Zen) ? Or did u buy a bike ?? NINJA ??
Now how often to Mangalore ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007
Breaking news : Situation in Shimoga, Hassan is not fine. And in Mangalore they have burnt the Prajavani Newspaper office. Please get an update and travel safely.
Isn't Shimoga back to normal as per today's news papers ??

Last edited by sushrutha : 3rd March 2010 at 12:37.
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:42   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
OT.
Isn't Shimoga back to normal as per today's news papers ??
Just spoke to my parents in Mangalore, the situation today is normal.

Shimoga no idea yet. Yesterday night news channels were saying a different story, but todays newspaper stated Shimoga was normal.
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:38   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Chikmagalur - Kundapura via Sringeri/Agumbe

Can someone provide the latest road condition and detailed directions on this route please?

Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwar - Haladi - Kundapura
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:15   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Can someone provide the latest road condition and detailed directions on this route please?

Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwar - Haladi - Kundapura
I had just been on the route you mentioned last weekend. The road conditions are very good for most part of the route.

Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri is rough in some patches but easily manageable. Sringeri-Agumbe road is very rough for the initial 2 kms, but is good for the rest of the way. Agumbe ghat is manageable. They have patched up the hair-pin bends.

The worst part of the route comes after Someshwara after you take the right turn to Haladi. It is very rough. My car started rattling after this stretch. After Haladi, it is a very good road till Koteshwara-Kundapura

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks