Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 12:34   #1801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
OT.
WOW good to see speedsatya back into this thread ... Almost 3 years huh.
So which car now satya(since you sold you Zen) ? Or did u buy a bike ?? NINJA ??
Now how often to Mangalore ??
I dont have a car now .We have a 2002 lancer in the family which I drive on the Mangalore drives
I did think about the 250 Ninja ...but then spending 3 L on this bike was something that I didnt feel was worth it.
Now thinking about a used corolla or maybe a Polo/Punto.
Yeah ..been close to 4 years ...
About Mangalore...previously it was a complusory weekend drive ..now its been 3 drives in 3 months and 2 one-way KSRTC journeys .

Mods...sorry for being OT ..couldnt resist it
Old 5th March 2010, 12:37   #1802
Senior - BHPian

One more downside about taking the Madikeri route is that you lose so much time in the bad sections ...that one tends to speed on the next section till Puttur .This being a narrower road as compared to the NH48 ,one has to be careful at times and watch out for mad SUV drivers on the blind curves
Old 5th March 2010, 13:36   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks Addy. Can you provide detailed directions from Chikmagalur - Agumbe? As I understand it, I have to take a right for Aldur on the C'magalur - Mudigere road and then a right after crossing the bridge at Balehonnur. Is the Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri road pretty conspicuous/with signages or would I have to ask around for directions?
I presume that you know directions upto Chikmagalur. From Chikmagalur, take the Mudigere road. You will pass Amber Valley school & The Serai on your left.

I'm not too sure about distances, so please bear with me on that.

Continue on this road until Vastare village. Take a right towards Aldur. There are adequate signboards at this place. Aldur town - Continue straight, left goes to Mudigere. Continue on the main road until you reach Balehonnur. Just after the Bhadra river bridge there is a junction. Take a right here. Left goes to Magundi & Hornadu. Continue straight on the main road until Jayapura. Earlier, there was a signboard at Jayapura, but don't remember seeing it during my last trip.

At Jayapura, you will pass the bus stand on your right. After the bus stand, you will get a junction. You have to take a left 'U' turn here. You have to be careful here as this road is easy to miss. It is a downhill 'U' turn. Also be aware of buses coming up very fast on this road. Straight goes to Koppa.

After taking a 'U' turn continue on the main road with no deviations until Sringeri. In Sringeri, just after the Tunga bridge, there is small road to your left which goes downhill and takes you directly to the temple (in case you want to visit). Otherwise continue straight till you reach a highway. This is the NH13. There are signboards at this junction. Left goes to Sringeri town-Karkala, right goes to Koppa-Thirthalli. Continue straight to Agumbe.

No deviations till Agumbe village. At Agumbe checkpost continue straight. Right goes to Thirthalli. Continue straight to reach Agumbe ghat.

EDIT: You will get Karnataka Tourism signboards on the way indicating directions to Sringeri. Just keep an eye out.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 5th March 2010 at 13:38.
Old 5th March 2010, 14:33   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I presume that you know directions upto Chikmagalur.
Awesome! Thanks a ton Addy for the detailed info. Now if I may ask, please share similar details for Someshwara - Haladi - Kundapura route as well Infact, I can bypass Kundapura if possible - my destination is Maravanthe/Trasi.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:48   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks a ton Addy for the detailed info. Now if I may ask, please share similar details for Someshwara - Haladi - Kundapura route as well Infact, I can bypass Kundapura if possible - my destination is Maravanthe/Trasi.
I don't think you should bypass Kundapura to reach Maravanthe (mainly because I don't know any shortcut bypassing Kundapura). Google maps shows a couple of roads bypassing Kundapura, but I would not suggest you take those unless someone from the forum tells you otherwise.

Maravanthe is approx 10 km from Kundapura.

After you descend Agumbe ghat, you will reach Someshwara village. Immediately after the village you will get a fork. Straight goes to Udupi. Take the right at the fork. This is the Haladi road. The road conditions are pretty rough once you take the right and will continue till Haladi village. You will pass a few junctions on the way, but keep going straight until Haladi.

As soon as you enter Haladi, there is a fork again. Take the left side to go to Kundapura. If you continue straight, it will lead to Kollur & Baindur. After the left turn, you will face a newly laid road which joins the NH17 at Koteshwara. Take right on the highway to reach Kundapura.

Once you reach Kundapura, you will get a fork again with the left side going to Kundapura town and the right side bypassing it and going on towards Maravanthe. When you see the sea by the road side, you'll know that you have reached Maravanthe.

In case you are near Kundapura by lunch time, try the Shetty Lunch Home for very good fish meals. (you have to go into Kundapura town)
Old 6th March 2010, 00:29   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you should bypass Kundapura to reach Maravanthe (mainly because I don't know any shortcut bypassing Kundapura). Google maps shows a couple of roads bypassing Kundapura, but I would not suggest you take those unless someone from the forum tells you otherwise.
I have taken one of these roads 2 yrs ago on my way back from Maravanthe to Agumbe. This road runs parallel (well almost) to NH17 from Kollur to Haladi and is almost completely devoid of traffic. Will save me the trouble of driving through Kundapura. I will probably take a call depending on the condition of this road when at Haladi.

Quote:
As soon as you enter Haladi, there is a fork again. Take the left side to go to Kundapura. If you continue straight, it will lead to Kollur & Baindur.
This is the road I am talking about. This runs all the way till Kollur and has 'exits' to NH17 at regular intervals. One of these 'exits' hits NH17 pretty close to Marvanthe.

Quote:
After the left turn, you will face a newly laid road which joins the NH17 at Koteshwara... In case you are near Kundapura by lunch time, try the Shetty Lunch Home for very good fish meals. (you have to go into Kundapura town)
Now this can be one incentive for me to go via Kundapura

Thanks a ton Addy for all the info... appreciate it!!
Old 6th March 2010, 02:10   #1807
Senior - BHPian

took 10`clock Volvo yesterday from Bangalore KSRTC and reached Suratkal at 5.45.
Tomorrow, I have booked on 9.30 volvo which goes via Mysore-Madikeri. Will post the travel time. Hope i will reach at 7 at least

OT:

Any time i check this section, this thread will have some update for sure

Also Welcome back Satya. Great to have you back on board!

EDIT

Guys,
There is plan of meet at Mangalore/Udupi on 4th April.

Check this out

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...r-event-9.html

Last edited by recshenoy : 6th March 2010 at 02:13.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:57   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Update!

I took 9pm Volvo from Mangalore and i was in bangalore by 4:45

I came by my bike(enfield) took about 8 hours...

Road update!

Kunigal to Adichunchungiri(Belur cross) because of the road work its a bit distracting but nothing major..

Adi... to Sakleshpura is good!, since the Hassana bypass is been fixed this cuts don the travel time and ofcourse is fun!

Sakleshpura to Nelyadi, Sakelspura to Shiradi is a bit rough(surface) but very manageable. Shiradi road repair works is under way and about 60% is good! the repair work seems to be done well! the remaining 40% repar is going on..

about 9 places the road is bit bad but nothing what could be compraed to few years back! only last stretch about a km it gets bad and even here i guess most of the vehicles can pass easily....but need to make it slowly
i dint have any issues in this stretch at all!

neliadi to Melkara is good and i took mudipu/thokottu...sadly was caught in a bad jam on NH17 due to a lorry broke down on the bridge..

i can rate, Bamgalore - Hassana - Shiradi -Mlore as the best option presently!
Old 7th March 2010, 11:59   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a ton Addy for all the info... appreciate it!!
Anytime my dear sir!!
Old 8th March 2010, 00:55   #1810
BHPian

@lohithrao Rightly said.

I traveled in the same route this Saturday. Came back through Subrahmanya-Gundya.
Just want to add that, road has deteriorated further 5 kms to gundya. They have already started repair works on this stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Update!

I took 9pm Volvo from Mangalore and i was in bangalore by 4:45

I came by my bike(enfield) took about 8 hours...

Road update!

Kunigal to Adichunchungiri(Belur cross) because of the road work its a bit distracting but nothing major..

Adi... to Sakleshpura is good!, since the Hassana bypass is been fixed this cuts don the travel time and ofcourse is fun!

Sakleshpura to Nelyadi, Sakelspura to Shiradi is a bit rough(surface) but very manageable. Shiradi road repair works is under way and about 60% is good! the repair work seems to be done well! the remaining 40% repar is going on..

about 9 places the road is bit bad but nothing what could be compraed to few years back! only last stretch about a km it gets bad and even here i guess most of the vehicles can pass easily....but need to make it slowly
i dint have any issues in this stretch at all!

neliadi to Melkara is good and i took mudipu/thokottu...sadly was caught in a bad jam on NH17 due to a lorry broke down on the bridge..

i can rate, Bamgalore - Hassana - Shiradi -Mlore as the best option presently!
Old 8th March 2010, 11:24   #1811
Senior - BHPian

started at 11 o'clock from Puttur yesterday and reached Bangalore at 7 today morning in Volvo.

Hi Kadri007,
updates on Isuzu bus please
Old 8th March 2010, 16:51   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Hi Kadri007,
updates on Isuzu bus please
Hi all

I came back this morning from Mangalore. And here is the latest update.

First the New Isuzu bus:

While going I took the Sea Bird Isuzu bus which was launched few days back between Bangalore and Manipal.

Here's the positive side of the experience:

The first impression of the bus was good. Its Interior was excellent and it had 2 LCD TV's. Seats are comfortable like any other luxury bus. The bus was clean, drivers were looking decent. Isuzu has a rear engine and the ground clearance is pretty good.

I had low expectations for the Isuzu bus since it was Swaraj Mazda tie up, but the bus exceeded my expectations. Based on my earlier travel experience in most of the Luxury coaches like Mercedes, Volvo , Kinglong, Volvo multi axel and Luxury Tata and AL buses. Isuzu was on par with Volvo & Mercedes on many aspects.

I was surprised to see the speed it was doing. The bus was easily going more than 100 KMS. It has a amazing suspension which came as a surprise. Even Volvo doesn’t have such good suspension. The bus proved itself in the horrible Shiradi ghat road. The bus looks strong and the noise level and vibration level inside the bus is much lower. The bus was so comfortable that many people inside the bus were snoring. Pickup is a bit lower compared to Volvo and Merc. But Braking and power steering were also excellent. Don’t know how much it is priced but a real worth buy for bus owners.

The bus left at 11.15PM and reached Mangalore at 7.15 AM with more than 1 hour break. Almost a 7 Hours drive. Reason for long break will tell below.

Now comes the Negative side of the experience:

The bus was supposed to start from Ghandinagar at 10.45 PM but it started only at 11.15 PM. Reason the bus came late from Chennai and the same bus was routed to Mangalore. Though all passengers were there the bus started late since the driver didn’t had a place to sleep and was arguing with the office staff for allotting his seat to passengers. There were double drivers and the last row was allotted to driver to sleep at last. After that the agent shifted the last row passenger to other seats. It reached Rajainagar at 11.30 and again the other agent had allotted the last row seats to passengers. The driver got fed up and refused to travel, he said he can’t risk passengers life and had a heated argument with the agent. And guess what drivers didn’t even had dinner!!! and now he didn’t had a place to sleep.

The driver took his bag and got off the bus. Later however after the owner spoke to the driver, and he agreed to come inside the bus. The other driver was a old man in his 50's and he also told the agent that he can’t drive all alone till Manipal. And even more worse the same bus had to leave Manipal again at 10.00AM on its journey back. It’s really sad to see how the management was exploiting the poor drivers. After all they are also humans and need good rest and proper food. They are risking the life of passengers and drivers by making them work like this. So the bus left Bangalore at 11.45 PM once the other driver came back.

The bus took the Magadi road to reach Kunigal. On the way they were bringing down a tree for road widening in Magadi road again some 15 mins lost. After some time the old driver was waking up the cleaner, but instead we all woke up. The driver said he was feeling sleepy and he told the cleaner to wake up the other driver. But the other driver refused since he didn’t even had dinner and it was 2.00AM.

Hearing this my heart beat doubled. Since the driver told Kamath hotel was another 80Kms away. Last week one of my relative met with a accident while he was travelling in Manjunath Roadlines where the driver felt sleepy and it went off road. I didn’t get sleep till it reached Kamath hotel at 3.00AM. All the Mangalore buses had gone and ours was the last bus to leave at 3.30AM.

After that the other driver took over the bus. He over took 2 Volvo’s and he was zooming like a airplane and it reached Siradi ghat at 4.30AM and by 5.30AM the bus had covered the horrible ghat. The driver took all the frustration on the bus I feel. The suspension was good so the bus came easily down on the horrible road. By 7.15AM it reached Mangalore.

Overall the Isuzu bus is very good, but Sea Bird Management is just horrible who are least bothered on passenger and driver safety.

Will update on the road condition and post the pics in the evening.

Last edited by kadri007 : 8th March 2010 at 16:56.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:57   #1813
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is the norm with all the private bus operators. They are so busy counting their profits that they forget one of the basic things: Passenger Safety.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:02   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Kadri good to know abbout the "Isuzu"

but would like to add that Shiradi is in a decent condition leaving 9 short patches and just 1 patch is bit long...

i guess all these buses can cover the entire distance in easy 7 hours..

hows the leg space?
Old 8th March 2010, 17:59   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
but would like to add that Shiradi is in a decent condition leaving 9 short patches and just 1 patch is bit long...

hows the leg space?
I think Shiradi only 50% of the road repair work is complete the rest was still in the same horrible condition.

Good thing is BC Road - Mangalore road almsot 80%-90% road is complete.

And in Mangalore city most of the roads are getting concrete.

The leg space in Isuzu bus is normal. Its 2+2 luxury seating. And not semi sleeper. Good thing they give blankets.

Last edited by kadri007 : 8th March 2010 at 18:01.

Most Viewed