Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 18:41   #1816
Senior - BHPian

how was AC compared to Volvo? will it blow for some time and lower blower speed after like Volvo? What temperature they had kept the AC!

Saturday day i went from Suratkal till Puttur in our Zen. Roads are getting ready at good pace between Mangalore and BC road. Hope they will complete the road before rainy season.

Once road to BC road is ready, this stretch is a breeze

Started at 7.15 in the evening from Suratkal and reached Puttur at 8.30. Some bad patch here and there, people crossing road in night etc. So drove carefully
Old 8th March 2010, 18:56   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Kadri 007,

This is how most of the bus operators work!!Even KSRTC functions that way.I have had a non-B7R trained driver drive one in pouring rain and ask the conductor as to how does one operate something (dont remember what he asked )...but as i was sitting on my usual LHS front aisle ...i could see the whole tamasha ..

The bus that you travelled had atleast 2 drivers ...KSRTC and most other bangalore-bangalore operators have just one driver!!...There was a time during pre-GD days when KSRTC used to have one driver to drive the ALL /Tata bus over 500 kms!!!

Its good to see that the driver was concerned abt safety .

BTW any updates on the Manjunath bus accident?What happened ...and one look at their B7Rs ...makes u feel sad abt the buses
Old 8th March 2010, 20:27   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
how was AC compared to Volvo?

Hope they will complete the road before rainy season.

Once road to BC road is ready, this stretch is a breeze
The AC was pretty good. But there was no no digital AC indicator. Its on par with Volvo's.

Here are some pics of BC Road - Mangalore Road.

And here are pics of Isuzu bus

Picasa Web Albums - Kadri007 - India Bus
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kadri-031.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kadri-032.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kadri-038.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kadri-039.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kadri-041.jpg  

Old 8th March 2010, 21:57   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
This is how most of the bus operators work!!Even KSRTC functions that way..KSRTC and most other bangalore-bangalore operators have just one driver!!..
If you see Durgamba, Sugama and VRL most of them have single drivers. Some even drive for 12 hrs from distances such as Kundapura to Bangalore.

Most of the KSRTC buses in Bangalore - Mangalore route also have single drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
BTW any updates on the Manjunath bus accident?What happened ...and one look at their B7Rs ...makes u feel sad abt the buses
Few people got hurt and bus got damaged. Most of the buses are in very bad condition and it has become more of a parcel carrier than a bus.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:06   #1820
BHPian

Coming to the road condition on Bangalore - Mangalore stretch. Now most of the buses take the Magadi road from Gorugontepalya. Expect for the starting few Kms rest of the road is in very good condition.

For new users the landmark to take right is near Magadi Fire station/KSRTC depo then its a straight road. It reaches near Indo - Danish farm.

From there the road work is in progress and the roads have a lot of speed breakers and diversions.

Udaya pura - Hassan - Sakleshpur road is in good condition.

Shiradi ghat hardly 50%of the work is completed in last 4 months and it may take another 4 months for completion. The balance 50% of the road is still in horrible condition.

Good thing is mine trucks have disappeared. And road is much clear.
Old 8th March 2010, 23:37   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
For new users the landmark to take right is near Magadi Fire station/KSRTC depo then its a straight road. It reaches near Indo - Danish farm.
Kadri - Is this the route you are talking about?

Google Maps

If yes, does this not pass through Magadi town?
Old 9th March 2010, 08:44   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

The bus while going and coming went through Outer ring road and crossed Magadi town. It takes a right near fire station and it reaches near Indo Danish farm.

Now most of the private buses are taking this route only. The driver said Nelmangala - Kunigal road is in bad condition.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:43   #1823
Senior - BHPian

I am driving to Mangalore on April 1st, and I am thinking of taking NH 48. When I went to Mangalore for Christmas, I took the Mysore-Madikeri route. It was much longer, and the road from Kushalnagar to Madikeri was under construction. Any idea if this is complete?
If so, I might take this route, at least while coming back.
While coming back to Bangalore after Christmas, I took the Charmadi Ghat route. It was not so great either.
Old 9th March 2010, 11:26   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

From there the road work is in progress and the roads have a lot of speed breakers and diversions.

Udaya pura - Hassan - Sakleshpur road is in good condition.

Good thing is mine trucks have disappeared. And road is much clear.
Kadri, it is not the Indo-Danish farm. It is the Indo-Spanish Foods. Indo-Danish Farm is located in Hessarghatta, off NH4.

Also, the KSRTC depot in Magadi comes after you take a right to Kunigal. The trick to cross Magadi town is to keep going straight until you come out of town and you will pass a metal arch indicating the end of Magadi Muncipality. Take a right immediately after the arch. There is a board indicating direction to Kunigal.

The road condition is good from a couple of kms after Bellur cross till Sakaleshpur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Google Maps

Yes, that is the route he is talking about. This route passes through Magadi town
Old 9th March 2010, 15:05   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Kadri, it is not the Indo-Danish farm. It is the Indo-Spanish Foods. Indo-Danish Farm is located in Hessarghatta, off NH4.

The road condition is good from a couple of kms after Bellur cross till Sakaleshpur.
Oh yes its Indo - Spanish. The building can be easily identified.

The road from Magadi to Kunigal is in very good condition. I think they have recently relayed it.

But from Kunigal to Udaya pura the road work is happening and not in a very good condition.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:38   #1826
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I am driving to Mangalore on April 1st, and I am thinking of taking NH 48. When I went to Mangalore for Christmas, I took the Mysore-Madikeri route. It was much longer, and the road from Kushalnagar to Madikeri was under construction. Any idea if this is complete?
If so, I might take this route, at least while coming back.
While coming back to Bangalore after Christmas, I took the Charmadi Ghat route. It was not so great either.
I guess the best route would be via Shiradi Ghat. Barring some 25 Kms stretch, the entire road from Bangalore till Mangalore is good.
What say Kadri??
Old 9th March 2010, 15:54   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I guess the best route would be via Shiradi Ghat. Barring some 25 Kms stretch, the entire road from Bangalore till Mangalore is good.
What say Kadri??
I think the bad strestch of Shiradi ghat would be less than 25 KMS , but its in a very very bad shape. Even buses find it difficult and it was a roller coaster ride. But if carefully and slowly driven it can be managed I feel.

Currently the ideal way is Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Shiradi - BC Road -Mangalore.

Else Charmadi ghat via Chickmaglur since Mudigere road seems to be not in good condition from recent posts.
Old 10th March 2010, 07:30   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Hi kadri, Shiradi ghat repairs was 50% done, I heard, but now it looks like it might not be completed before the scheduled May 2010 deadline!

Any info whether repair work was going on, when you last travelled?
Old 10th March 2010, 10:46   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi kadri, Shiradi ghat repairs was 50% done, I heard, but now it looks like it might not be completed before the scheduled May 2010 deadline!

Any info whether repair work was going on, when you last travelled?
I travelled last Friday and Sunday on the Shiradi ghat road. The work started some 4 months back and till now hardly 50% of the work is completed and work is going on very slowly. I saw construction materials and Jelly stones for repair work. But i seriously doubt it will get over by May.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:55   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Well, as i mentioned there are about 9 -10 patches of bad stretch and 9 of these are very short distance and dont have any huge creators, only the last one is pretty long about a km is rough but again if one drives slowly it can be easily managed.

Since i came on bike and i have driven several times when the road was HORRIBLE ..

am not sure how much one can gauge by traveling by bus, as while going even i felt it was BAD, but while riding back i could gauge the real scenario..

i will travel via Shiradi for sure

good to know BC road is almsot done, i lost lot of time trying to come via thokotu thanks to the traffic jam on nh17

Quote:
I think Shiradi only 50% of the road repair work is complete the rest was still in the same horrible condition.

Good thing is BC Road - Mangalore road almsot 80%-90% road is complete.

And in Mangalore city most of the roads are getting concrete.

The leg space in Isuzu bus is normal. Its 2+2 luxury seating. And not semi sleeper. Good thing they give blankets.

Last edited by lohithrao : 10th March 2010 at 10:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks