Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 18:43   #1906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
And the tripmeter, speedometer being in the centre helped her take the readings! Brilliant!

So, to summarise, if i need to go to Karkala, i should be taking Shiradi route itself right?
Speedo, tripmeter, and clock being at the center did help and I could concentrate on driving peacefully.

Take shiradi route if you want to reach Karkala fast and comfortable. Don't forget to take right deviation from SH48 towards Dharmasthala, otherwise you will end up going to Mangalore !

Whereas Belur - Mudigere - Kudremukha route is very scenic but narrow and winding and would take more time to reach Karkala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
mining trucks have stopped plying in the Shiradi ghast road.
Yes kadri, I did not see one single mining truck on this road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
As I understand from your odo readings, this is 4 kms after Sakleshpura, driving back to Bangalore. Right?
Exactly. And there is a small signboard approx 1/2 km before and after the restaurant.

Guys, I prepared a detailed route map before the journey taking extensive help from this thread itself. How can I forget to thank Sushrutha, Samurai, addyhemmige, lohitrao, kadri et all and all those ppl who regularly update this thread
Old 27th March 2010, 09:07   #1907

I am being advised to take the following route to Bangalore.

Manipal-Karkala-Belthangady-Ujre-Charmandi-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belu
r-Hassan-Nelamangala-NICE road to Bannerghatta road

Is this route advisable or would it be better to cross across shirdi.

I have gone through the previous posts but with the daily changing condition of these roads its very difficult to figure out the correct route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:44   #1908
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docanurag View Post
I am being advised to take the following route to Bangalore.

Manipal-Karkala-Belthangady-Ujre-Charmandi-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Nelamangala-NICE road to Bannerghatta road

Is this route advisable or would it be better to cross across shirdi.

I have gone through the previous posts but with the daily changing condition of these roads its very difficult to figure out the correct route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
docanurag, After Hassan head towards Kunigal and at Kunigal take diversion towards Magadi. This way you can avoid the nightmare of traffic on Nelamangala stretch.Attachment shows the route.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by MCR : 27th March 2010 at 23:46.
Old 28th March 2010, 00:44   #1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
docanurag, After Hassan head towards Kunigal and at Kunigal take diversion towards Magadi. This way you can avoid the nightmare of traffic on Nelamangala stretch.Attachment shows the route.
@mcr

thanks for the advice will change my route accordingly. Any suggestions regarding where to cross the ghats at charmandi or sakleshpura.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:11   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
@mcr

thanks for the advice will change my route accordingly. Any suggestions regarding where to cross the ghats at charmandi or sakleshpura.
Charmadi ghat is very beautiful to drive and you can love the nature a lot. There are some beautiful photo taking spots. The view is wonderful. Also the route has very very less traffic.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:53   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Some pics from a drive in 2007 on the Mudiere Charmadi stretch

These are some pics taken around 11 am in the day
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadi-2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mudigere.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-charmadi.jpg  

Old 28th March 2010, 14:27   #1912
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
@mcr

docanurag, Charmadi is the best place as of now. Absolutely fine road and very scenic. Also the Kunigal - Magadi road is good all the way.

@speedsatya, Fantastic pictures.

Last edited by MCR : 28th March 2010 at 14:28.
Old 28th March 2010, 17:26   #1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
docanurag, Charmadi is the best place as of now. Absolutely fine road and very scenic. Also the Kunigal - Magadi road is good all the way.

@speedsatya, Fantastic pictures.
@mcr
Thanks again for confirming that will stick to this route only. Am planning to travel on the 31st and now i know to keep my camera handy too.

@speedsatya, awesome pics hope i get similar weather.

A bit OT, i have a hero andorid phone with gps. Was planning to maintain a gps log of the route. Can anyone tell me what are the basic requirements of a useful log ie distance and time b\w 2 logs, format etc.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:54   #1914
Senior - BHPian

HI lemme ask once again if anyone has travelled to Kollur, Udipi District via the route Shimoga -> Tirthahalli -> Nagara -> Nittur -> Kollur

Planning to do this at night.

Old 29th March 2010, 09:07   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
HI lemme ask once again if anyone has travelled to Kollur, Udipi District via the route Shimoga -> Tirthahalli -> Nagara -> Nittur -> Kollur

Planning to do this at night.

Any particular reason for trying this route? This is a very round about route. The shortest route is Bangalore-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Kollur. On road conditions, my guess is as good as yours. But it is doable at night.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:58   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Any particular reason for trying this route? This is a very round about route. The shortest route is Bangalore-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpet-Hosanagara-Nagara-Kollur. On road conditions, my guess is as good as yours. But it is doable at night.
No particular reason for taking that route, just thght this was a more easier route. Trying to check hows the condition if the condition of riponpet is better then we can take that route.

Last edited by motomaverick : 29th March 2010 at 10:05.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:47   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
These are some pics taken around 11 am in the day
Satya nice pics ,
I have doubts abt the third pic. I don't think it's shot in Charmadi Ghats
The route in the pic seems to me like the one between Hanbal-Mudigere (Sakleshpura- Hanbal-Hurudi-Mudigere road).

@motomaverick
Take the route mentioned by Addi,
As per the latest info, the route mentioned by him is in good condition.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:02   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Satya nice pics ,
I have doubts abt the third pic. I don't think it's shot in Charmadi Ghats
The route in the pic seems to me like the one between Hanbal-Mudigere (Sakleshpura- Hanbal-Hurudi-Mudigere road).

@motomaverick
Take the route mentioned by Addi,
As per the latest info, the route mentioned by him is in good condition.
Thanks for the update sushrutha....even i checked the maps and the route is around 25-30 kms shorter than the previous one.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:28   #1919
BHPian

I’ve returned to BLR yesterday night thru’ Shiradi ghat after visiting, Dharmastala & Kukke. Started on Sat early morning from Indiranagar & took Magadi road to reach NH48. Though I was planning to take Charmudi route, I finally decided to take Shiradi ghat (to & fro). I drove my swift with wife & children. IMO road is very much motorable. Very bad patch is may be for 2-3 kms & one can maneuver it without scraping the under body, but you ve to be cautious & may be dead slow. Though I wanted to venture out thru’ Charmudi ghat, (Hassan-Belur-Kottigehara), I took shiradi since I’m very familiar with this rout.

Patch up work in ghat is in full swing & I feel work will be completed before the commencement of monsoons. But one bad news, I was told by a local Sakleshpur guy (when I stopped for Tea in the ghat) that, the iron ore trucks are started plying again thru’ shiradi from last one week. If the iron ore trucks started plying, then all the good repair work done so far will go to dogs.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th March 2010 at 16:03. Reason: Removing formatting tags. Please do not use MSword / external editor.
Old 29th March 2010, 16:09   #1920
Senior - BHPian

I did spot couple of ore trucks last week when i took shiradi route....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks