Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 07:42   #1951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kadri,

There are other threads on this. Travelogue section is not the right place to discuss this. Use the "What car" section.
Mods: Kindly delete the above Query posted by me.

Last edited by kadri007 : 6th April 2010 at 07:46.
Old 6th April 2010, 08:06   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Keeping "Shiradi" in mind i guess none of these cars are competent to handel this road when shiradi gets bad! or i can say as you wont enjoy the ride when the roads get bad...and also one needs to consider is during the monsoon entire coastal stretch gets rough.....

Scorpio/Bolero/Safari are what i think is the best once to handle this stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
OT: At last I am on a car hunt expedition and one of the important aspect for finalizing my car is the Bangalore - Mangalore road, since its a integral part on my travel every month from past 7 plus years. And I can get better inputs since I have a lot of friends in this thread and also feel homely in this thread.

I will be driving with my better half and occasionally with my parents. So was on a look out for a safe and reliable car knowing how the road has been over the years.

My budget is around 4.5 to 5 L. From the past two weeks have been visiting the showrooms and still not made my mind on a particular car. But have finalized a few models at last.

1. Chevrolet Beat - its in mind

2. Ford Figo - its also in mind

3. VW Polo - its in my heart and the base model is a bit close to pocket

4. Skoda Fabia - its only in my heart, a perfect safe car.

5. Tata Indica Vista Aura - its in my mind

6. Fiat Punto - needs to be reviewed this weekend.

Hyundai and Maruti has not been able to impress me much so not in mind. Hyundai because of service and Maruti because of safety.

So which one would be a best buy and should i go for a petrol or a diesel version.

The Indian cars like Indica gives a assurance of service help incase I get stuck somewhere, but cant dream that with the European cars like Fabia or Polo. And will these cars be able to manage the monsoon conditions where roads become hell.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:04   #1953
BHPian

Hi

Looks like i am very much confused in choosing between shirdi ghat and charmudi ghat. Can someone please gudie me the best route and also with the approx kms when taken these routes.

Tomorrow night i am traveling from mangalore to Bangalore. Tonight me and my other friend coming to mangalore to finalise on buying a contessa which we think is in very good condition. if it works out, we will drive back to bangalore on this conty..
Old 6th April 2010, 10:12   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Sudhindra firstly you have got the names wrong it is "Shiradi" and "Charmadi".

I guess if you go through last few pages you will get an very clear idea on the latest conditions of the road. if you are taking Shiradi start a bit early as post 10 bus traffic starts and its advisable to pass the ghat before these buses take over the ghats
Old 6th April 2010, 10:26   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Keeping "Shiradi" in mind i guess none of these cars are competent to handel this road when shiradi gets bad! or i can say as you wont enjoy the ride when the roads get bad...and also one needs to consider is during the monsoon entire coastal stretch gets rough.....

Scorpio/Bolero/Safari are what i think is the best once to handle this stretch!
Thanks Lohit, As of now the SUV's are out of pocket. A good SUV starts at 7+ so currently ruled them out.

I am sorry guys for posting this off topic here. But thought this was one of the threads where I can get better inputs based on the road conditions which most of the people in other threads would not have experienced heence had posted it here.

The Monsoon in the costal belt changes the road conditions to such a extent that only if people have experienced it will know it. So wanted a car which can go with lowest discomfort in the Bangalore - Mangalore road.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:41   #1956
Senior - BHPian

Kadri, agree with you!

My suggestion pick a Bolero! i have made up my mind to pick one of the big guys. i love driving around in coast or hills and i know the road conditions wont change so its better to have a ride which can adapt top the condition

I have seen Boleros and Scorpios smoothly sailing while all other vehicles are struggling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Thanks Lohit, As of now the SUV's are out of pocket. A good SUV starts at 7+ so currently ruled them out.

I am sorry guys for posting this off topic here. But thought this was one of the threads where I can get better inputs based on the road conditions which most of the people in other threads would not have experienced heence had posted it here.

The Monsoon in the costal belt changes the road conditions to such a extent that only if people have experienced it will know it. So wanted a car which can go with lowest discomfort in the Bangalore - Mangalore road.

Last edited by lohithrao : 6th April 2010 at 10:44.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:00   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I remember the days when we used to be able to reach Mangalore in an hour on a Bajaj Chetak!
Not to offend,
Distance between MLR- Kundapura is approximately 100kms, but doing it in an hour in a Bajaj Chetak is hard to believe.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:11   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Not to offend,
Distance between MLR- Kundapura is approximately 100kms, but doing it in an hour in a Bajaj Chetak is hard to believe.
. Not Kundapura. Udupi to Mangalore - 60 km.
Old 6th April 2010, 11:31   #1959
BHPian

Just came back from Udupi/Mangalore today morning. I took Shiradi ghat (NH48) in both ways, it is in excellent condition. While going to Udupi on April 1st, i started around 1 PM and reached Udupi by 8 PM. Total distance : 421 KM from IIM Bangalore.

All path holes have been filled up and some areas got newly laid roads in the ghat section. One can easily cruise at 60-70 KMPH in Shiradi ghat. Roads near BC Road are total mess due to lack of proper directions. Four lane work is going on at snail's pace, i hope it will be completed by 2025?
Old 6th April 2010, 11:58   #1960
BHPian

Some pics are added. Mods, i am not able to edit the thread due to time out. Please merge.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-01042010002.jpg  

Old 6th April 2010, 12:34   #1961
BHPian

@lohithrao: sometimes i write how i pronounce in my native language.
anyways, what about night driving? will there be a heavy traffic in the ghats or has it reduced now.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:55   #1962
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
@lohithrao: sometimes i write how i pronounce in my native language.
anyways, what about night driving? will there be a heavy traffic in the ghats or has it reduced now.
Guess the shiradi ghats will be full of volvo buses in the night.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:13   #1963
BHPian

Covering the Shiradi ghat in night is not a good option. There are reckless private buses which do not have control like volvo's and you will need to get down from the road. They come will bright 6 headlights at flying speeds. Good roads means the buses will be more faster. They come at 100 - 110 KM speeds.

One option is to go slow while passing these line of buses from opposite side they will be back to back racing, so if you are slow, you can reach safely.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:19   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
My suggestion pick a Bolero! i have made up my mind to pick one of the big guys. i love driving around in coast or hills and i know the road conditions wont change so its better to have a ride which can adapt top the condition
My first fantasy was on Bolero, had experienced it in the worst roads of Bihar. Its a power horse it can go anywhere. Would love to have it one day.

But as of now only a hatchback which can take me easily between Bangalore and Mangalore in any road condition.
Old 6th April 2010, 19:57   #1965
BHPian

Ok, we are planning to schedule our travel back to bangalore by leaving mangalore sometime tommorow afternoon . As we are not sure about the condition of the contessa which we might buy. also we can cross sakleshpur by evening.

Most Viewed