Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 11:18   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont understand the Tumkur-Villupuram section.
Villipuram is somewhere south of Tindivanam.
Where this NH goes through? We already have NH45/7/4/66 etc.

Is it typo? Or Am I missing something?
Oops , Yeah tumkur was typo.

Anyways check the info below

DK’s new NH will connect three states

Jaideep Shenoy | TNN

Mangalore: Dakshina Kannada now has a new national highway in NH-234. This 715-km Mangalore-Villupuram state highway that criss-crosses three southern states — Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh has been upgraded to NH-234 and will connect Mangalore in Karnataka, and Villupuram sea port in Tamil Nadu. This highway, notified by the Union government under National Highways Act, will also touch AP.
The NH-234, which will start from Mangalore at Mahavir Circle, will connect Belthangady, Mudigere, Belur, Huliyar, Sira, Madhugiri, and Chintamani in Karnataka, Venkatagiri, Kota in AP, Pernampet, Gidiyattam, Katpadi, Vellore, Pushpagiri and Polur. It will end at Tiruvanamalai-Villupuram in Tamil Nadu.
I E Krishne Gowda, executive engineer, NH Mangalore division, told TOI here on Monday that the new NH-234 comprises stretch of Kadur-Kanhangad, and Mudigere-Venkatagiri state highways. The national highway division on an average requires Rs 2 crore per kilometre to upgrade SH to NH standards, he said, adding this upgradation work includes strengthening bridges en route, extending and widening tank bunds, land acquisition wherever needed as well as strengthening the base of the road. The Kadur-Mudigere stretch of road has been left out of the purview of this new highway and it will remain a state highway, he said.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Daily...=1272347119234
on 9th page

Last edited by sushrutha : 27th April 2010 at 11:19.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:43   #2027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Mangalore: Dakshina Kannada now has a new national highway in NH-234. This 715-km Mangalore-Villupuram state highway that criss-crosses three southern states — Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh has been upgraded to NH-234 and will connect Mangalore in Karnataka, and Villupuram sea port in Tamil Nadu. This highway, notified by the Union government under National Highways Act, will also touch AP.
The NH-234, which will start from Mangalore at Mahavir Circle, will connect Belthangady, Mudigere, Belur, Huliyar, Sira, Madhugiri, and Chintamani in Karnataka, Venkatagiri, Kota in AP, Pernampet, Gidiyattam, Katpadi, Vellore, Pushpagiri and Polur. It will end at Tiruvanamalai-Villupuram in Tamil Nadu.
This makes more sense. This will be something like super-super ring road to Bangalore cutting through 206, 4, 7, 4, 219 and connecting at Katpadi/Vellore.

Please note it ends at TVMalai.

The Karntaka area of Huliar/Sira/Madhugiri are currently state highways and in decent condition. I tried these roads when we went visiting Devrayandurga/Madhuri fort/blackbuck sanctuary etc.

This will cut NH4 at Sira and Mulbagal, NH7 at Chikbellapore.

Interesting route indeed !

Hope, they just dont change the SH status to NH and continue the same way.

Last edited by ampere : 27th April 2010 at 11:44.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:57   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I plan for a 3-day drive this week The only concern is on Day 1 where I try to visit both Sringeri and Horanadu. Do you think this stretch is drivable within a day?
I had recently been to Horanadu & Sringeri.
Is Sringeri your first priority ?
Else plan the trip like this
Day 1 BLR- Hassan - Sakleshpura-Gundya -Kukke Subramanya
After finishing the Darshana, Head towards Dharmasthala. Stay at Dharmasthala. Don't forget the summer heat in Dharmasthala, its too hot.
Day -2 Dharmasthala - Horanadu - Sringeri.
You have 2 routes. Choice is your's, both are equally good. Option 1 has hell lot of curves, but scenic.
Option -1 Dharmasthala - Ujire(turn right)-Charmadi-Kottigehara-Javali-Kalasa-Horanadu. 110 kms
Option -2 Dharmasthala - Ujire(turn left)Belthangady- Guruvayankere(turn right) - Naravi-Bajagoli(turn right) - SK border-Kudremukha-Kalasa-Horanadu. 125 kms
After Darshana , Finish lunch at Horanadu , start towards Sringeri by 2pm. Coz Sringeri temple opens by 5pm.
Route - Hornadu - Balehole-Basarikatte-Jayapura-Sringeri - 80 kms.
Road is good all the way till Sringeri, Just a slight rough road between Balehole & Basarikatte.

Is you have time you can Visit Agumbe(for Sunset) and return to Sringeri. It's 30kms from Sringeri
Day 3
Sringeri - Jayapura - Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-BLR
340 kms

If Sringeri is your first priority, Go in the reverse order .
Approx Journey time
BLR-Hassan-CKM approx 5hrs
CKM-Sringeri Approx 2 Hrs
So if you start by 5AM, you should be reaching Sringeri by 12.30pm including a Breakfast n bio break.
Start by 2.30pm
Sringeri-Hornadu approx 2 hrs.
You can stay in Horanadu.

Last edited by sushrutha : 27th April 2010 at 12:01.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:10   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Bit OT, offlate have been noticing that the mining truck traffic has increased on the nh48. last half an hour spotted 3 of them(my office is on nh17
Old 27th April 2010, 13:48   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Oh OK. I usually cover the distance in 5:5 to 6 hours on my way to Udupi. But then again I typically drive at night and don't stop anywhere en route.

@Gopi, have a safe journey and enjoy the trip. You are venturing into some seriously beautiful landscapes .
Hi bullinb, Thanks for your wishes. You are getting me excited when you said " seriously beautiful landscapes". Hopefully I can write a full travelogue after the trip.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:51   #2031
BHPian

Hi Sushruta, Thank you so much once again for the detailed route info. I could have taken the order suggested by you. But unfortunately the hotel room bookings are done for Sringeri and kukke stay. So will follow the original plan. These are new territory and thanks to you and MCR for the valuable route information. I will take a printout and have it handy while driving.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:26   #2032
Senior - BHPian

gopi make sure you are not going to visit any of these temples on a long weekend, thanks to the summer vacation for kids you can find huge crowd.

couple of weeks back had been to Dharmasthala and had to wait in Q for about 4hours to get the darshan
Old 28th April 2010, 17:24   #2033
BHPian

Please let me know the route and road conditions for the following trip. Alto will be the car used and driving will be restricted to day time only. Even if a bit longer, I will opt for good roads.

1) B'lore Karkala - shiradi ghats or through kalasa?
2) karkala - Horanadu
3) Horanadu to bhadra forest reserve at lakavalli (route required)
4) Bhadra to Bangalore

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th April 2010, 19:17   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
1) B'lore Karkala - shiradi ghats or through kalasa?
2) karkala - Horanadu
4) Bhadra to Bangalore
Bangalore - Karkala : Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Moodigere - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangadi - Karkala. About 7-8 hours

Karkala - Horanadu : Karkala - SK border - Kudremukha - Kalasa - Horanadu - 3 to 4 hours

Horanadu - Lakkavalli : No idea. Via Aldur - Chikmaglur - Lingadahalli - Tarikere??

Lakkavalli - Bangalore : Lakkvalli - Tarikere - Arasikere - Tumkur - Bangalore - 4 hours

All the above routes are mostly good.
Old 29th April 2010, 08:33   #2035
BHPian

Just when I started to enjoy the shiradi drives again,come the monster trucks aka mining trucks, to spoil the show.Yes,they're back & in full force.Counted over 50 between Sakleshpur & Alur.I guess Shiradi will close even before the monsoon starts.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:44   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
Hornadu - Balehole - Basarikatte - Herur - Balehonnur - Melpal - NR Pura - Lakkavally. Good road, but lots of twisties + Narrow road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb

Horanadu - Lakkavalli : No idea. Via Aldur - Chikmaglur - Lingadahalli - Tarikere??
Hornadu - Kalasa- Magundi- Balehonnur- Aldur- Chikmagalur-Lingadahally - Tarikere-Lakkavally. But this route will be pretty much longer. But good road + wide
Old 30th April 2010, 04:44   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Just when I started to enjoy the shiradi drives again,come the monster trucks aka mining trucks, to spoil the show.Yes,they're back & in full force.Counted over 50 between Sakleshpur & Alur.I guess Shiradi will close even before the monsoon starts.
Only 50? I reached shiradi ghats at 5 in the morning and I saw more than 100 trucks being driven and several parked almost in the middle of the road. I thought I will enjoy the early morning ghat drive, but the smell of burning rubber/clutch made me drive with the AC on. Though the roads are better now, its good to take other routes. Charmadi was good when I travelled last, not sure about the condition now.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:52   #2038
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for my ignorance. Where do these trucks come from and go to?
And why only this route?
Old 30th April 2010, 10:33   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry for my ignorance. Where do these trucks come from and go to?
And why only this route?
These trucks come from Bellary belt - Hospet, Pavgada, etc they carry iron ore and Manganeese to New Mangalore port for exporting to China and other countries.

In any given day minimum 800-1000 trucks come to NMPT on a peak day when the ships have come u can find 1500+ trucks.

The trucks just pile outside Mangalore port.

They come through many routes:

Shiradi ghat: Hassan - Managlore

Kudremukha ghat - Shimoga -Thirthahalli - Karkala - Padubidri - Mangalore

Hulikal ghat - Shimoga -Thirthahalli - Kundapura - Udupi - Mangalore

NH17 - Bhatkal - - Kundapura - Udupi - Mangalore

Less taken route, since its very difficult to drive:

Charmadi ghat - Chickmaglur - Belthangady - Mangalore

Kodachadri ghat - Sagara - Kollur - Kundapura - Udupi - Mangalore

Agumbe ghat - Only for Mini buses and Passenger vehicles. No Minie trucks at all.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:38   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Well the government should announce that all the highways are meant for the mining trucks and they have full rights to destroy the road and the citizens have no other choice other then excepting this hassle!

last year i saw a fleet of trucks might be more then 50 of them parked and most of them had take half of the road... recipe for a disaster!

Last edited by lohithrao : 30th April 2010 at 10:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks