Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 20:18   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Give a month, let the rains start. The thread title will again become very meaningful.
Sharath, that is indeed a word of wisdom from a grandmaster samurai.
i completely agree with you.

it is like few minutes of bliss and many many years of trouble.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:56   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, such comments are usually heard every May, that is when the roads get finally fixed, every year.

Give a month, let the rains start. The thread title will again become very meaningful.

Samurai Sir,

you stole my word. was about to say same. With mining lorries on Shirad Ghat and monsoon starting in 3 or 4 weeks from now, road will surely go bad soon.

Guys,
how is Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Mangalore stretch now? has it been repaired?

Other day saw that Karnad bypass to Mulki highway is getting repaired. That was one bad stretch between Mangalore – udupi. [FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
Old 10th May 2010, 22:03   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Samurai Sir,

you stole my word. was about to say same. With mining lorries on Shirad Ghat and monsoon starting in 3 or 4 weeks from now, road will surely go bad soon.

Guys,
how is Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Mangalore stretch now? has it been repaired?
The mining trucks are back, and they are coming in various sizes now . I even spotted non-multi axle ones being driven towards M'lore.

I drove along the Madikeri stretch on the Friday night, and it's really good, execept for the Sampaje Ghat stretch. Some sections of work remain between Suntikoppa and Madikeri, but not a problem to traffic.

I was greeted with heavy downpour on reaching BC Road, and had to follow the mining trucks, until the 2 lane roads start near Padil, because it was hard to identify the divider portions and the lane changes to be done due to ongoing work in these 4 lane roads, in the heavy rain. And there was water all over the road. You got to be cautious while driving in monsoon, on these incomplete stretches of road. Some sections around Parangipet don't have the cemented divider in place, and these are the places to be watchful, during rains, as there won't be power most of the times, to light the roads.

Last edited by dkamath : 10th May 2010 at 22:04.
Old 12th May 2010, 17:51   #2104
BHPian

Guys - slightly off topic, but how is the weather in Udupi these days? I am planning a trip over the weekend and just wanted to get an idea so I know what to pack.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:45   #2105
Senior - BHPian

its sweaty! last couple of days it was BAD but today its kind of ok....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Guys - slightly off topic, but how is the weather in Udupi these days? I am planning a trip over the weekend and just wanted to get an idea so I know what to pack.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:54   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its sweaty! last couple of days it was BAD but today its kind of ok....
weekend weather was cool in Mangalore especially on Sunday compared to previous week!

It seems there was a traffic jam on friday night on ghats. Friday night 11 o'clock volvo reached Mangalore at Saturday 8 o'clock. when i asked driver he advised "there was jam for 2 hours on ghats"! Any info on same?
Old 17th May 2010, 18:07   #2107
BHPian

Sat EARLY morning: A drunk driver of a descending loaded truck went and bumped onto an ascending Tata 407 right into its fuel tank. The Tata driver was safe. The drunk driver was stuck inside from 1:30AM till 4:00AM. People had to cut the truck's part to get him out and send him to a hospital by 5:00AM. We were stuck there and don't ask the plight! Horrible! Instead of reaching Mangalore by 7:00, we reached by 10:00. They were able to drag both the trucks to the side by Sat afternoon.

Sun EARLY morning: A KSRTC bus bumped into a truck head on. Again same issues, so faced problems while coming back too. They should have cleared that by now.

Souvik
Old 17th May 2010, 21:23   #2108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
It seems there was a traffic jam on friday night on ghats. Friday night 11 o'clock volvo reached Mangalore at Saturday 8 o'clock. when i asked driver he advised "there was jam for 2 hours on ghats"! Any info on same?
I was in the Airavat behind your's .
The 1050pm bus (Chennai-M'lore) left at 1130pm. And we were following the 11pm bus somewhere after Pumpwell circle.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:02   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Now a days i see very less queries here asking which route..does that tell us that road condition is good ?(atleast i am hoping so)
Old 21st May 2010, 16:22   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Now a days i see very less queries here asking which route..does that tell us that road condition is good ?(atleast i am hoping so)
Yes the road conditions are better now. My parents went to Mangalore this wednesday by bus. Trains are running packed.

They told other than Nelamangla - Kunigal stretch where road work is going rest of the road was very good.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:22   #2111
BHPian

I will be doing the Bangalore - DSL stretch this weekend. Lets see how is the road condition. As per recent info, the road seems to be good, except stretch between Maranahalli - Gundya. As per some news paper, it said there were 21 accidents between this stretch in April 2010.

I hope 90% of the road should be fine.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:33   #2112
BHPian

BTW, I am thinking of returning through following route:

DSL - Ujre - Charmadi Ghat - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore

Is this road condition good? Or should i deviate through Chickmaglur - Belur?

Please advice.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:47   #2113
BHPian

Thanks to guidance from TBHP community, my BANGALORE-MANGALORE-BANGALORE trip went really good... The instructions given were spot-on including the choice of stopovers for food.

Even with very sedate driving because of baby-onboard, I could do Bangalore-Mangalore in ~6.5 hrs (stopovers not included)

The Hassan ghats are still in Good-OK conditions, but the condition is deteriorating every passing day it seems.
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:28   #2114
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Digital Vampire, how was the traffic situation on the ghats, too many mine trucks?

BTW, the following news sounded like sweet music to my ears: http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...re+of+19+Mines

Tomorrow I am travelling back to Bangalore, should I try Shiradi or Agumbe, still wondering.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:15   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Sharath thats indeed a sweet news offlate have been noticing too many ore trucks on nh17!

Most Viewed