Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:29   #2116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sharath thats indeed a sweet news offlate have been noticing too many ore trucks on nh17!
Arrg, I guess I'll take the Agumbe route.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:00   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Arrg, I guess I'll take the Agumbe route.
I seriously would recommend Agumbe - Shimoga - Tumkur - Bangalore route if starting from Udupi/Manipal for a stress free drive. Comparatively very thin traffic and good road surface.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:42   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Agumbe + nearby places.
Except for the rough stretch between BLR-Kunigal-Bellur cross, rest of the road is in good condition. (BLR-Hassan-Ckm-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe)
Old 24th May 2010, 18:15   #2119
Senior - BHPian

I would be driving to Udupi on 26th morning

I had planned to take Hassan-Shiradi-Mangalore-Udupi route last week when everyone expressed delaight over the condition of the Shiradi Ghat

Now i see that everyone gas again starting resenting the Shiradi
and preferring Tumkur-Shimoga-Agumbe route

can some one give some reasoning for this.
I understand that the mining trucks are back, other than this any other reason ?
Old 24th May 2010, 21:47   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post
Sat EARLY morning: A drunk driver of a descending loaded truck went and bumped onto an ascending Tata 407 right into its fuel tank. We were stuck there and don't ask the plight! Horrible! Instead of reaching Mangalore by 7:00, we reached by 10:00.
Sun EARLY morning: A KSRTC bus bumped into a truck head on. Again same issues, so faced problems while coming back too. They should have cleared that by now
Is it possible to create a system (with self help from TBHP members on this thread) wherein, let's say, when I reach Hassan on my Bangalore Mangalore car journey, I am able to make a call from my mobile to a single number / call centre / Group help centre, which gives me the condition of traffic on each of the 3 routes (Charmadi, Shiradi and Sampaje), so I can avoid the jammed section ?

Depending on government agencies for this would mean waiting for ages for it to realize

Any thoughts from tech wizards and others as to how this could be realized by us ? Inputs on this would be highly useful. I will be the first member to subscribe to such a system !
Old 24th May 2010, 23:06   #2121
BHPian

Last Sat and Sunday drove through Magadi till Puttur, some bad patches have developed due to pre-monsoon rains. however Shiradi Ghat section is still holding well.
While coming back on Sunday evening, encountered a big jam before Kunigal. They were trying to recover the fully loaded mine truck off the bridge
Old 25th May 2010, 10:38   #2122
BHPian

I did the BLR - DSL trip during the weekend. May 22/23.
While going took the Shiradi Ghat and while coming back took the Charmadi Ghat.
Both are in excellent condition. We did not face any traffic jams anywhere.
Road conditions were decent.

Only at Charmadi Ghat, it is very difficult to get the stretch to overtake and one should be very cautious at both ends.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:41   #2123
Team-BHP Support

This Sunday I drove via Hebri-Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-Chikmaglur-Belur-Hassan-Kunigal-Magadi-Bangalore. My bad experience with GPS is mentioned here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1902421-post978.html

But roads were good throughout, except may be the 4-laning work between bellur cross and Kunigal. But for the GV it was a non-issue. Then there was a strange detour between yediyur and Kunigal, all the vehicles were diverted through some narrow village road for nearly 20Kms.

The wonderful food at Planters Court in Chikmaglur justifies taking this slightly longer road.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:15   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
, let's say, when I reach Hassan on my Bangalore Mangalore car journey, I am able to make a call from my mobile to a single number / call centre / Group help centre, which gives me the condition of traffic on each of the 3 routes (Charmadi, Shiradi and Sampaje), so I can avoid the jammed section ?
I typically use the small tea breaks(Typical eat outs where people stop) to go and talk to the guys who are either driving towards or returning back.
Most of the times this gives a better idea about the road ahead. It works for me. You can give it a try too
Old 25th May 2010, 17:44   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to create a system (with self help from TBHP members on this thread) wherein, let's say, when I reach Hassan on my Bangalore Mangalore car journey, I am able to make a call from my mobile to a single number / call centre / Group help centre, which gives me the condition of traffic on each of the 3 routes (Charmadi, Shiradi and Sampaje), so I can avoid the jammed section ?

Depending on government agencies for this would mean waiting for ages for it to realize

Any thoughts from tech wizards and others as to how this could be realized by us ? Inputs on this would be highly useful. I will be the first member to subscribe to such a system !
we have to think something in line with twitter.

say someone see a jam at place, he can update a centralized system through SMS. or one can even update this thread through GPRS.
Or a remotely located GSM module can interpret the data sent by a registered member and send the publish the result on a website. Others can access same.

Same way, create a community in twitter and keep updating only problem here is non-availability of mobile n/w on ghat sections!
Old 25th May 2010, 20:29   #2126
Team-BHP Support

Mods,

Are you thinking of a TBHP mobile APP? For Android, IPHONE and Symbian.
On the mobile current site one needs to wade many pages and login before actually typing the post. I have done it many times, but felt painful.

Sorry for the OT. Just got inspired by the previous post. That will help not just this thread, but all threads in general. People before traveling can subscribe to a thread so that when they open the mobile app, the subscribed thread directly opens up an the user types in his post.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:44   #2127
BHPian

Hi folks,

On this forum, I have benefitted richly -- over last 2 years -- from the experiences and writings of members here. It's time to give back, that was my thinking for sometime now. Enough of being a bystander, let me take the plunge into participation. So, here I am.

A quick paragraph about myself. I am 39 years old and learnt to drive just 3 years back. And since then I have been doing a bit of long-distance driving - From Bangalore to coastal Karnataka, Goa, Pondicherry, Hubli and nearby places. I drive a WagonR and hence my nickname.

I do the Bangalore-Udupi/Mangalore route very regularly. The two routes I prefer is via Tumkur, Tiptur, Arsikere, Shimoga, Thirthalli and down the Agumbe ghats, but I like the Hassan-Belur-Chickamaglur-Ballehonnur-Agumbe-Manipal-Udupi route.

On the Shimoga route, there arent any decent hotels to take a break, esp when travelling with family, so I take the Chickamaglur route where my stops are fixed. Hotel Ashokk in Hassan, then there is CCD in C'maglur and then Bhadra Coffee at Ballehonnur. The toilets are well maintained and those travelling with families may find this convinient. The only flip side to this route is the long widing roads from Ch'maglur to Shringeri. But then that's the tradeoff.

On May 16th, Sunday, I travelled to Udupi with my wife and sister-in-law. I like to start all my long-distance very early in the morning so that I get to avoid the city traffic and get to the highways faster.

On this particular journey, I began at 4 am on the dot and very soon we were moving towards Hassan. The previous night I thought of taking the NICE road towards Magadi and then to Kunigal but discarded the plan, as I hadnt done the NICE road earlier and didnt want to experiement at 4am in the morning. So, it was Peenya and the good old Neelamangala route for me, despite the bad roads. However, I found the Peenya road much better than what it has been over last 2 years since work on the flyover/Metro began.

The journey was good and we reached Udupi by 2 pm. We took ample breaks at Hassan having a hearty breakfast, and then hot steaming coffee at Ballehonnur.

The roads were decent, except for certain patches when you enter Chickamaglur town. The climate was cool and cloudy so it was fun. All along the way I was listening to old Hindi classical songs. Driving fast on the Hassan-Belur road listening to Rafi's "Madhuban Mein Radhika Nache Re" still gives me the goosebumps.

I will be again doing this route in mid-June.. so looking forward to it. So, till then I am hunting for songs to play on this drive.

cheers,

Wagoner
Old 26th May 2010, 12:56   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to create a system (with self help from TBHP members on this thread) wherein, let's say, when I reach Hassan on my Bangalore Mangalore car journey, !
Instead why not just have a Electronic display board on the road, Which says the current status of the road . Update has to be done NHAI / State highway authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Then there was a strange detour between yediyur and Kunigal, all the vehicles were diverted through some narrow village road for nearly 20Kms.
I returned from CKM on early Monday morning, but I didn't find any detour as such.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:12   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Say someone see a jam at place, he can update a centralized system through SMS. or one can even update this thread through GPRS. Or a remotely located GSM module can interpret the data sent by a registered member and send the publish the result on a website. Only problem here is non-availability of mobile n/w on ghat sections!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Mods, Are you thinking of a TBHP mobile APP? For Android, IPHONE and Symbian. On the mobile current site one needs to wade many pages and login before actually typing the post
My post below borders on OT (I do not know if a separate thread is needed for this ) :

Thanks to some keywords provided by Recshenoy and Ampere, I could browse out a link below. I do not know whether this will work in ghat sections because of connectivity issues, but may work for the other sections on highways ? Hope something like this could be implemented here soon.

Waze: A GPS App To Avoid Traffic Jams
Old 26th May 2010, 16:06   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I returned from CKM on early Monday morning, but I didn't find any detour as such.
It was because a truck had fallen off a bridge between Yediyur and Kunigal. My friends were going back to Hassan on Sunday night. They told me. Probably they might have cleared it during the night.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks