Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:08   #2176
BHPian

I did Kukkee in 2009 and roads were terrible . I put my new M Hawk to full test ...
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:14   #2177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This is strictly my opinion.

For Sringeri, the shortest & the fastest route is via Chikmagalur-Balehonnur and the roads too are quite wide enough for two vehicles to pass and the surface of road too has been good for some time now.
Another question. Is there a method to by-pass Chikmagulur town and directly latch on to the Aldur road? If there is one, how is the road condition? Also does it really save us in the long run?

I see a couple a roads in Google maps.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:36   #2178
BHPian

Hi Ampere, When I drove to Sringeri a couple of weeks ago I was also looking for the left turn before Chikmagulur to reach Aldur road directly. This road was present in the karnataka state road map. But unfortunately i could not see any major (atleast tarred) road turning left. There were two or three mud roads which had a village signboard. So could not find out. Let us see if anybody had located it
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:39   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Another question. Is there a method to by-pass Chikmagulur town and directly latch on to the Aldur road? If there is one, how is the road condition? Also does it really save us in the long run?

I see a couple a roads in Google maps.
You can take Belur-Gendehally-Haandi-Aldur route. This is supposedly shorter than the Chikmagalur route by a couple of kms, but this is through interior roads. Sushrutha will be the best person to comment on this route since it passes through his place.

Please do not believe blindly in Google maps. Google maps can be used just as a reference at best, nothing to rely on.

EDIT: AFAIK, there is no bypass as such for Chikmagalur town. If you want to avoid the main road, you can go through some residential areas and join KM road (Mudigere road) bypassing the main city area.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 3rd June 2010 at 14:43.
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:41   #2180
Team-BHP Support

Attached is the by-pass routewhich I am was talking about.
The road changes right from Belur.

Looks there is no gain in distance (29 versus 30 Kms), as per Google.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-ckmbypass.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2010 at 14:42.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:35   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 360715
Google maps has got it wrong here (I think). To get to the road you have marked, you have to take a right turn at Gendehalli. But the maps show the turn way before Gendehalli. Sushrutha can clarify here.

Why would you want to go in this route when you have an almost straight highway from Belur to Chikmagalur? My suggestion would be to take the Ckm-Aldur route. Those going to Mudigere can take the Belur-Gendehalli-Mudigere route.

btw, the route I told you is not shown on google maps. It goes through Gendehalli and joins the KM road near a village called Haandi. This is a more straighter 'by-pass' from Belur to Aldur. But, then again these are narrow interior roads and you would probably lose more time in covering these roads.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 3rd June 2010 at 15:36.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:45   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I was also looking for the left turn before Chikmagulur to reach Aldur road directly. This road was present in the karnataka state road map. But unfortunately i could not see any major (atleast tarred) road turning left. There were two or three mud roads which had a village signboard. So could not find out. Let us see if anybody had located it
Yep, ther's one road Via Aambale-Shakthinagar-Rampura-KM Road. But a country side road, If you don't find any person to ask for directions, You'll get lost if you take this road. Not at all worth the risk.

Quote:
Is there a method to by-pass Chikmagulur town and directly latch on to the Aldur road? If there is one, how is the road condition? Also does it really save us in the long run?.
There isn't any method , Take the route which addy has mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
You can take Belur-Gendehally-Haandi-Aldur route. This is supposedly shorter than the Chikmagalur route by a couple of kms, but this is through interior roads. Sushrutha will be the best person to comment on this route since it passes through his place.
Route is as follows -After bus stop in Belur-Turn right near ambedkar statue, Singapura - Gendehally- Buskal(take right turn here) - take left near the Church- Keep going straight - Kella Haandhi - Haandhi - Gullunpete - Aldur.
Road condition is very good all the way till Haandhi, winding roads. But a narrow road
If you are new to this place I wouldn't suggest to take this road, coz u may not find signboards & people most of the time to ask for directions.

Quote:

Attachment 360715
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige
Please do not believe blindly in Google maps. Google maps can be used just as a reference at best, nothing to rely on.
Rightly said Addy, Don't believe in that map, according to the map, it doesn't show road to my village and road leading to Mudigere.

I would suggest you to take the road through CKM town.

Last edited by sushrutha : 3rd June 2010 at 15:47.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:52   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ampere - it makes sense to take this route only if you are going towards Kottegehara. If you have to divert to Aldur, makes more sense to go via C'magalur.
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:43   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Ampere - it makes sense to take this route only if you are going towards Kottegehara.
Nopes, even that route doesn't help in reducing the distance.
If Kottigehara is your destination, better to take Belur-Cheekanahally-Gonibeedu-Mudigere Hand post - Kottigehara road.
Via Chikmagalur it will be atleast 25Kms extra
Old 4th June 2010, 10:52   #2185
BHPian

Udupi trip planned nxt weekend

I am driving to Udupi from Bangalore next weekend - starting June 12 (Sat) and back on June 14 (Monday).

Wondering if anyone here is planning a trip to M'lore/Udupi that weekend

Intending to take the Chikamaglur, Ballehonnur, Sringeri, Agumbe, Hebri route.

~W

My last trip to Udupi was in mid-May (details in my post dated May 26, under this thread)
Old 4th June 2010, 12:41   #2186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
I am driving to Udupi from Bangalore next weekend - starting June 12 (Sat) and back on June 14 (Monday).

Wondering if anyone here is planning a trip to M'lore/Udupi that weekend

Intending to take the Chikamaglur, Ballehonnur, Sringeri, Agumbe, Hebri route.
I did this route 12 days back. Take Magadi-Kunigal-C.R.Patna-Hassan-Belur-Chikmaglur-Balehonnur-Jayapur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Manipal-Udupi. The roads are in good condition throughout.

Yesterday I came through Coorg again. There is construction work on Puttur Bypass which may delay you.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th June 2010 at 12:43.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:11   #2187
Team-BHP Support

@Addy, @Sushrutha,

As I mentioned, this was only for my understanding. I am not going as of now.
I was just looking at these maps, when I got this doubt.

So practically speaking one just needs to go to CKM and then keep going.
No need for any bypass.

Thanks Guys.
Old 4th June 2010, 23:21   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Addy, @Sushrutha,

As I mentioned, this was only for my understanding. I am not going as of now.
I was just looking at these maps, when I got this doubt.

So practically speaking one just needs to go to CKM and then keep going.
No need for any bypass.

Thanks Guys.
Anytime!!! There is no harm in gathering info
Old 7th June 2010, 09:06   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Came back yesterday after doing Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-C R patna-Hassan-Sakaleshpur-Shiradi-Uppinangadi-Puttur, in my Scorpio.

No problems on this route, except the 4 laning job, which slows you down a bit between C R Patna and Kunigal.

Shiradi still remains covered with tar throughout, though a bit bumpy over a few stretches. This will be my option for my next drive again, after a week .

I am planning Puttur - Kukke Subramanya - Puttur, on one of the days of my stay in Puttur next week. Hope this route is good.

Thanks to all for the inputs
Old 7th June 2010, 11:48   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT,

The flyover work is going on and on on kotarachowki.... last 2 months i have see 3 mining trucks accidents. today one more truck has crashed... this also gives us anidea on how good the drivers are who drive these trucks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks