Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 17:33   #2371
BHPian

roamingrao & lohithrao : My planned to trip to Kollur is a weeks away ( 20 Aug), any update on the route that I had charted out with your help ?

Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Haladi - Vandse - Kollur

Other TBHPians - in case you have taken this route this week, would appreciate your inputs.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:17   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
roamingrao & lohithrao : My planned to trip to Kollur is a weeks away ( 20 Aug), any update on the route that I had charted out with your help ?

Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Haladi - Vandse - Kollur

Other TBHPians - in case you have taken this route this week, would appreciate your inputs.
Take this route, Road is good all the way till Kollur.
Other option is
BLR-Tumkur-Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpete-Hosnagara-Kollur this is also good.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:38   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Sushrutha, but am not sure "Ripponpete-Hosnagara-Kollur" if this stretch is in great shape.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:22   #2374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
roamingrao & lohithrao : My planned to trip to Kollur is a weeks away ( 20 Aug), any update on the route
would have an update on monday, 16th Aug - my relatives are driving in from Koteshwara on the same route.

Your onward route - Kollur to Murudeshwara is bad at some stretches on NH 17 ( Baindur to bhatkal ) as per member vrprabhu.

Sushrutha, if Durgamba buses from Kundapura to Bangalore ( shimoga route ) take the Hosanagara route, my relative had a very bumpy ride in the ghats after siddapura to Hosanagara last week and rough enough to be woken ( or waken ? ) up. The ghat itself is a steep one though very scenic.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:45   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Sasthan to bhatkala many bad stretches have developed so watch-out, apparently every year this stretch gets bad...
Old 16th August 2010, 10:18   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Req for road conditions

Can anyone update the road conditions from Angadipuram, KL to Udipi pls? We're looking forward to cross this stretch next week during the day time. Also appreciate to post some good vegetarian restaurants in this stretch for lunch & dinner. Tks.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-a1.jpg
Old 16th August 2010, 10:40   #2377
Senior - BHPian

aargee, Mangalore till Udupi the roads are in decent shape with occasional small stretches of bad patches...

Restaurants wise, you might have to get inside Mangalore city, woodlands is good with good parking space. also there is a small place on the nh17 near kotara chowki very decent veg food, had seen Revathi there who had stopped with her family for lunch.

Also if you want to stick by nh17 after pumpwell circle, 2 juctions away you take right and drive for about 5mins you will find village restaurant. this is the road whoch goes to mangalore airport.

Udupi you have Karavalli restaurant pn the hiway ......
Old 16th August 2010, 11:52   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Lohitrao for the references; I'll have this in mind. But I'm more concerned on the way from Angadipuram to Mangalore, reason being that, we'll start sometimes during morning after breakfast from Angadipuram & expecting to have lunch somewhere in between. I'm not familiar with the road condition as well as food options in between; we'll also have 2 little ones travelling & hence seeking opinion on good food as we don't want to see any troubles, especially for our little ones.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:02   #2379
Senior - BHPian

aargee i think Angadipuram is about 300 odd kms from Mangalore and should take about6+hours, am not aware of any eat in between these 2 points as am sure wou will reach Mangalore around 4ish. i guess you can break for lunch at Kannur?

btw 4- 6 is peak hour and you can expect good traffic from Ullal till Udupi during this hour and pvt bus traffic will be very high during this time and they can be pain!

with less traffic you can reach Mlore -Udupi in about 40 mins comfortably, btw Udupi is your final destination?
Old 16th August 2010, 12:36   #2380
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I traveled from Bangalore to Manipal without paying toll at any place. Must be the first time.

My route: Bangalore-Mandya-Srirangapattana-Elivala-Hunsur-Piriapattana-Kushalnagar-Kudigee-Somvarpet-Shantalli-Kundalli-Handalli Koodige-Bisle Ghat-Subramanya-Gundya-Dharmastala-Ujire-Beltangady-Naravi-Bajagoli-Karkala-Manipal.

Phew! It took 12 hours due to numerous photography breaks. The 30Kms between Somvarpet and Handalli Koodige took 1hour, and the next 30kms to Subramanya took 1.5 hours. I was following a bus in Bisle ghat, it was amazing to the speed the bus could maintain in that totally destroyed road. I have finally seen a bus doing offroading.

I also forded a waterfall in Bisle and a flooded bridge near Dharmastala. Driving in monsoon is really fun if you have a SUV.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:13   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

My route: Bangalore-Mandya-Srirangapattana-Elivala-Hunsur-Piriapattana-Kushalnagar-Kudigee-Somvarpet-Shantalli-Kundalli-Handalli Koodige-Bisle Ghat-Subramanya-Gundya-Dharmastala-Ujire-Beltangady-Naravi-Bajagoli-Karkala-Manipal.

Phew! It took 12 hours due to numerous photography breaks. The 30Kms between Somvarpet and Handalli Koodige took 1hour, and the next 30kms to Subramanya took 1.5 hours. I was following a bus in Bisle ghat, it was amazing to the speed the bus could maintain in that totally destroyed road. I have finally seen a bus doing offroading.

I also forded a waterfall in Bisle and a flooded bridge near Dharmastala. Driving in monsoon is really fun if you have a SUV.
Samurai, that is a great rainy route for those thirsting to go on roads less travelled. You appear to have dared all the bad road sections in the region. Worth the extra 5-6 hours.

So, to get your right, the bad roads are:
-Somwarpet-Bisle-Subramanya?
- Gundya-Dharmastala?

OK for a small car to go on this route?
Old 16th August 2010, 13:31   #2382
Team-BHP Support

HVK, the bad roads sections as follows:

1) Kushalnagar-Kudigee-Somvarpet (27Kms): Bad, but not terrible, even a small car can do it.
2) Somvarpet-Shantall-Kundalli-Handalli Koodige (30Kms): Excellent road, especially between Kundalli-Handalli Koodige, with zero traffic. But this road is extremely twisty, took 1 hour despite the excellent road.
3) Handalli Koodige-Subramanya (30Kms): Your worst nightmare. Don't take any hatch/sedan if you love it. There is even a 6-8 inch water crossing on the road. I managed to scrap GV at couple places while trying to keep up with the bus. I did see a Tata Indica, couple of Omni Taxi, auto-rickshaw and a Zen on the ghat section. They probably don't have a choice.
4) A bridge between NH-48 turn-off and Dharmastala was flooded, all the cars and hatches were stranded on both sides, while only SUVs, buses and trucks dared to ford it. A Tata Safari driver in front of me was initially not willing to cross it, but the locals assured him it would be fine. I didn't need any assurances.

Rest of the roads were fine.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:15   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
should take about6+hours, am not aware of any eat in between these 2 points as am sure wou will reach Mangalore around 4ish.
I don't intend to start before 9AM; do you think I can reach there by 4:00 PM still? I think it should take more.

Quote:
i guess you can break for lunch at Kannur?
Nice idea & thanks for the pointer. Lets see if Kannur has some veg restaurants or I'll probably stop at Thalassery.

Quote:
btw 4- 6 is peak hour and you can expect good traffic from Ullal till Udupi during this hour and pvt bus traffic will be very high during this time and they can be pain!
Thanks for the pointer

Quote:
btw Udupi is your final destination?
For the day, its the destination; Udupi is only part of our trip. Next day we'll be driving to Kollur.

I'm concerned about the Angadipuram-Mangalore stretch. Looks like, I've to travel this stretch & post an update here.

Last edited by aargee : 16th August 2010 at 14:20.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:22   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm concerned about the Angadipuram-Mangalore stretch. Looks like, I've to travel this stretch & post an update here.
Yes, please. Because I am planning to (rather, have to) do Calicut - Pune by 10th Sept.

My earlier experience on this route is already posted - that was between 24th July to 31st July - please read hvk's thread on road condition in monsoon.

BTW, my niece and her husband regularly travel between Coimbatore and Kannur. The stretch between Mahe to Kannur is in its usual bad shape. Journey from Kannur to Kozhikode is more like 3 and half to 4 hours now

As regards, food and eating joints, there is a separate thread on all the eating joints in Mangalore and Udupi. Have a whale of a time reading (drooling) through it!

Last edited by vrprabhu : 16th August 2010 at 14:25.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:49   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I traveled from Bangalore to Manipal without paying toll at any place. Must be the first time.

Good to hear that you did take this route Samurai. The road between Somwarpet and Handalli koodige has been in that state from the past 3 years. Good to know it has been withstanding the vigours of the monsoon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks