Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 19:55   #2386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
My planned to trip to Kollur is a weeks away ( 20 Aug), any update on the route Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Haladi - Vandse - Kollur
update - relatives drove in from Kundapura area yesterday - The Someshwara - Haladi - Vandse - Kundapura / Kollur road is in good condition barring a few potholes near vandse bridge. The present monsoon has had no adverse effect on this road. The same applies to kollur - baindur single lane road. reason - not much traffic.

NH 17 is deteriorating by the day. areas affected - Udupi to brahmavara, Kundapura to Maravanthe ( 2nd bridge onwards ), near bijoor and onwards to baindur and Bhatkal.

Bangalore to Agumbe :
Bangalore to Hassan : 4 laning diversions
Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur : good
Chikmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur : rough at stretches
Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe : rough

Hope this helps..
Old 16th August 2010, 23:15   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Apologies in advance. I'm a newbie on this route - never been to coastal Karnataka. Whats the least painful way of doing Bangalore-Udupi for a low slung sedan? It seems like every route mentioned so far has its fair share of potholes.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:06   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Apologies in advance. I'm a newbie on this route - never been to coastal Karnataka. Whats the least painful way of doing Bangalore-Udupi for a low slung sedan? It seems like every route mentioned so far has its fair share of potholes.
Where is the need to apologise ? All members here were newbies earlier !

At present ( current weather / road condition ), driving to Udupi town would not be that big a hassle, it is only beyond udupi that would pose ground clearance issues with your car - NH 17 towards other places in coastal karnataka is full of huge potholes.

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Vastare - Balehonnur - Magundi - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi route would be the best bet for two reasons - best of roads compared to others and most scenic to introduce you to malnad and coastal regions.

Balehonnur - Sringeri - SK border - Karkala route is also good but the sringeri - sk border stretch ( 30 km ) is like driving on a narrow wall !

hope this helps..
Old 19th August 2010, 12:05   #2389
BHPian

Temples around Mangalore

I am traveling to Mangalore during the second week of september. I have already made the train reservations to Mangalore from Chennai. Below is the plan.

Day 1 (8th Sep, Wed) - Train departs from Chennai to Mangalore
Day 2 (9th Sep, Thur) - Arrival at Mangalore at 5 AM
Day 3 (10th Sep, Friday) -
Day 4 (11th Sep, Sat) - Train departs from Mangalore to Chennai at 4 PM
Day 5 (12th Sep, Sun) - Arrival at Chennai at 8 AM

I have the entire Thursday, Friday and half a day on Saturday. The plan is to visit Udupi, Kollur, Sringeri & Dharmastala. Will that be feasible? Have I missed any place that can also be covered?

Could you help me to plan this trip? Where should I stay? Is it possible to visit Mrudeshwar in the available time frame? There are 4 adults and 2 kids traveling. So planning to hire a taxi. Do you know of any reliable tour agencies that I can contact?

Appreciate if someone can help me. Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 12:12   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Hey crossroads, check if you could pickup something from my thread as I'll be heading to the same place next week - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2022914

You can ignore the KL part; since you've 2.5 days, you can probably visit Gokarnam & Murudeshwar in addition which I'm skipping due to my restricted time. Yes, from my little understanding, Udipi, Kollur & Sringeri can be visited for sure.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:25   #2391
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
I am traveling to Mangalore during the second week of september. I have already made the train reservations to Mangalore from Chennai. Below is the plan.

Day 1 (8th Sep, Wed) - Train departs from Chennai to Mangalore
Day 2 (9th Sep, Thur) - Arrival at Mangalore at 5 AM
Day 3 (10th Sep, Friday) -
Day 4 (11th Sep, Sat) - Train departs from Mangalore to Chennai at 4 PM
Day 5 (12th Sep, Sun) - Arrival at Chennai at 8 AM

I have the entire Thursday, Friday and half a day on Saturday. The plan is to visit Udupi, Kollur, Sringeri & Dharmastala. Will that be feasible? Have I missed any place that can also be covered?

Could you help me to plan this trip? Where should I stay? Is it possible to visit Mrudeshwar in the available time frame? There are 4 adults and 2 kids traveling. So planning to hire a taxi. Do you know of any reliable tour agencies that I can contact?

Appreciate if someone can help me. Thanks
You can plan your itinerary as follows ;

DAY 1 :
1. Mangalore Mangaladevi Temple - by 9.00AM
2. Kadri Temple.
3. Kateel Durgaparameshwari.

Lunch.

4. Travel to udupi to Krishna Temple - 60 Kms.
5. From Udupi, travel to Dharmasthala - 102 Kms.

Return from Dharmasthala in the evening - 75 Kms.

Day 2 :
1. Travel to Kollur - 131 Kms.
2. From kollur to sringeri - 126 Kms.
3. Sringeri to Mangalore - 101 Kms.

Day 3 :
You can wake up late and later take the train back to Chennai after a good lunch at Mangalore.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...i-manipal.html

Ofcourse, the schedule will be a bit hectic.

Esle you can visit the temples in Mangalore(i.e Mangaladevi, kadri, kateel) on Day 3.

Last edited by MCR : 19th August 2010 at 12:32.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:26   #2392
BHPian

roamingrao - thanks a lot for the update ! I am so excited of the trip, tomorrow early morning I will start from Bangalore. By 6:30 AM at least. Hope I will be able to reach Kollur by evening. My target is at least by 5 PM, hope that's possible without much risky driving and couple of short breaks in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
update - relatives drove in from Kundapura area yesterday - The Someshwara - Haladi - Vandse - Kundapura / Kollur road is in good condition barring a few potholes near vandse bridge. The present monsoon has had no adverse effect on this road. The same applies to kollur - baindur single lane road. reason - not much traffic.

NH 17 is deteriorating by the day. areas affected - Udupi to brahmavara, Kundapura to Maravanthe ( 2nd bridge onwards ), near bijoor and onwards to baindur and Bhatkal.

Bangalore to Agumbe :
Bangalore to Hassan : 4 laning diversions
Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur : good
Chikmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur : rough at stretches
Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe : rough

Hope this helps..
Old 19th August 2010, 12:32   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Thats a detailed plan am sure will help crossroads. btw i know couple of taxi guys let me know if you need their info...

but its going to be a hectic trip esp with kids....

Revy, its bright and sunny here and i think next few days thier wont be continuous rain, have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

DAY 1 :
2. Kadri Temple.

Lunch.

Day 2 :

Day 3 :
You can wake up late and later take the train back to Chennai after a good lunch at Mangalore.

Of Course, the schedule will be a bit hectic.

Last edited by lohithrao : 19th August 2010 at 12:41.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:45   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hey crossroads, check if you could pickup something from my thread as I'll be heading to the same place next week - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2022914

You can ignore the KL part; since you've 2.5 days, you can probably visit Gokarnam & Murudeshwar in addition which I'm skipping due to my restricted time. Yes, from my little understanding, Udipi, Kollur & Sringeri can be visited for sure.
Thanks aargee. I will visit your thread and gather as many inputs as I can.

Quote:

DAY 1 :
2. Kadri Temple.

Lunch.

Day 2 :

Day 3 :

Ofcourse, the schedule will be a bit hectic.

Esle you can visit the temples in Mangalore(i.e Mangaladevi, kadri, kateel) on Day 3.
Thanks MCR. I would prefer visiting the local temples in Mangalore on Saturday. Saturday being Ganesh Chaturthi, is there any famous Ganesh temple in and around Mangalore?

Will this plan work?

Day 1 - Mangalore - Dharmastala - Sringeri. Night halt at Sringeri.
Day 2 - Sringeri - Kollur - Mrudeshwar. Night halt at Mrudeshwar.
Day 3 - Mrudeshwar - Udupi - Mangalore. Reach Mangalore before 4 PM to catch the train.

I also found out about the sunset at Agumbe and the Maple beach near Udupi. My kids would love to spend some time in the beach. Can i accommodate the trip to Agumbe and Maple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Thats a detailed plan am sure will help crossroads. btw i know couple of taxi guys let me know if you need their info...
Thanks lohithrao. Appreciate if you could provide me their numbers. I do not know Kannada. Can I manage with English/Hindi/Tamil?
Old 19th August 2010, 13:08   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Crossroad, you are welcome

His name is "Ashok", yes Hindi will work.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:24   #2396
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Thanks MCR. I would prefer visiting the local temples in Mangalore on Saturday. Saturday being Ganesh Chaturthi, is there any famous Ganesh temple in and around Mangalore?

Will this plan work?

Day 1 - Mangalore - Dharmastala - Sringeri. Night halt at Sringeri.
Day 2 - Sringeri - Kollur - Mrudeshwar. Night halt at Mrudeshwar.
Day 3 - Mrudeshwar - Udupi - Mangalore. Reach Mangalore before 4 PM to catch the train.

I also found out about the sunset at Agumbe and the Maple beach near Udupi. My kids would love to spend some time in the beach. Can i accommodate the trip to Agumbe and Maple?
Welcome crossroads. You can visit Anegundi Ganapathi temple. It is after Kundapura and before Udupi. You can have lunch in the temple, its very good.

Your plan will defenitely work. But book the stay in Sringeri and Murudeshwara in advance. If you want to view the sunset, the best place, according to your travel plan would be in Murudeshwar.

Last edited by MCR : 19th August 2010 at 13:26.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:29   #2397
BHPian

Crossroads, staying in Mangalore on day one is not suggested - you may lose one day rent for just freshen up but may also lose precious time to cover all the places.

Suggesting - day 1 : Mangalore - Udupi - Murudeshwara

Visit - Kudroli Gokarnateshwara temple at Mangalore, Udupi Sri krishna temple, Anegudde Ganapati temple at Kumbhasi ( after Saligrama on Udupi - Kundapura road ) and halt at Murudeshwara. ( malpe not necessary if you are visiting Murudeshwara )

Day 2 - Murudeshwara - Kollur - Sringeri - Dharmasthala

Visit - Kollur temple, Sringeri Mutt and halt at Dharmasthala.

Day 3 - Dharmasthala - Kateel - Mangalore

Visit - Kateel Sri Durga Parameshwari temple and local temples in Mangalore if time permits ( Kadri, Mangaladevi, Sharavu ) before boarding train.

The itinerary seems too crowded with temples, but an extra day would be required to visit touristy places ( St. Mary's islands near Malpe, Agumbe at sunset and Pilikula resort near Mangalore )

Getting accomodation in Dharmasthala and Mangalore would not be difficult, but book your stay in Murudeshwara ( RNS group of hotels ) www.naveenhotels.com. You would be able to manage with Hindi / English at most places and Tamil at Sringeri !

A Sumo / qualis type of vehicle would suit your family as roads would be bad at some stretches.

Hope this helps..

Last edited by roamingrao : 19th August 2010 at 14:38.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:40   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Sumo / qualis type of vehicle would suit your family as roads would be bad at some stretches.
+1; I heard the roads are bad until Bhatkal or after Bhatkal due to which we've decided to skip Murudeshwara & Gokarnam.

@Roadracer - Moreover from what I heard, Murudheshwara is more of tourist spot than a traditional looking temple. May be you want to skip Murudheshwara & visit Gokaranam & depending on the time you want to visit Murudheshwara.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:07   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
roamingrao - thanks a lot for the update ! I am so excited of the trip, tomorrow early morning I will start from Bangalore. By 6:30 AM at least. Hope I will be able to reach Kollur by evening. My target is at least by 5 PM, hope that's possible without much risky driving and couple of short breaks in between.
Revy, Have a great drive and darshan ! wishing you a smooth ride throughout !

Important turns / points on the route :

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur : do not take Hassan byepass, enter and cross the crowded town and take right to Belur at tannirhalla. ( approx 3 kms from town centre towards Mangalore )

Belur - Chikmagalur : at belur town entrance junction, proceed straight towards Chikmagalur. At chikmagalur ( can be confusing ), ask for mudigere road, proceed 8 kms and turn right towards aldur / Balehonnur at Vastare.

Balehonnur - Sringeri : important to take left U turn at Jayapura town to proceed to Sringeri. At sringeri ( temple closes from 12 noon to 4 pm ), ask for road to agumbe.

Agumbe - Someshwara - Haladi - Vandse - Kollur : after descending agumbe ghats, turn right towards kollur / Kundapura ( prominent board ) at someshwara. From here on, kollur is a straight drive via vandse.

Hope this helps..
Old 20th August 2010, 11:07   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Crossroad, you are welcome

His name is "Ashok", yes Hindi will work.
Thanks lohithrao

Quote:
Welcome crossroads. You can visit Anegundi Ganapathi temple. It is after Kundapura and before Udupi. You can have lunch in the temple, its very good.

Your plan will defenitely work. But book the stay in Sringeri and Murudeshwara in advance. If you want to view the sunset, the best place, according to your travel plan would be in Murudeshwar.
Thanks for your input MCR. I have a modified plan below. Please look at it and let me know your comments.

Quote:
Crossroads, staying in Mangalore on day one is not suggested - you may lose one day rent for just freshen up but may also lose precious time to cover all the places.

Suggesting - day 1 : Mangalore - Udupi - Murudeshwara

Visit - Kudroli Gokarnateshwara temple at Mangalore, Udupi Sri krishna temple, Anegudde Ganapati temple at Kumbhasi ( after Saligrama on Udupi - Kundapura road ) and halt at Murudeshwara. ( malpe not necessary if you are visiting Murudeshwara )

Day 2 - Murudeshwara - Kollur - Sringeri - Dharmasthala

Visit - Kollur temple, Sringeri Mutt and halt at Dharmasthala.

Day 3 - Dharmasthala - Kateel - Mangalore

Visit - Kateel Sri Durga Parameshwari temple and local temples in Mangalore if time permits ( Kadri, Mangaladevi, Sharavu ) before boarding train.

The itinerary seems too crowded with temples, but an extra day would be required to visit touristy places ( St. Mary's islands near Malpe, Agumbe at sunset and Pilikula resort near Mangalore )

Getting accomodation in Dharmasthala and Mangalore would not be difficult, but book your stay in Murudeshwara ( RNS group of hotels ) www.naveenhotels.com. You would be able to manage with Hindi / English at most places and Tamil at Sringeri !

Hope this helps..
Thanks for your input roamingrao. I have a modified plan below. Please look at it and let me know your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+1; I heard the roads are bad until Bhatkal or after Bhatkal due to which we've decided to skip Murudeshwara & Gokarnam.
Thanks for your input aargee.

Based on all your feedback and browsing the different travelogues in team-bhp, i have come up with the following plan. First I canceled the ticket for the train that starts at 4 PM from Mangalore and booked a ticket for the train that starts at 9:30 PM. So effectively I have 3 full days to spend.

Here is my plan.

Day 1 (Thursday) - Mangalore - Dharmastala - Sringeri (Night Halt at Sringeri)

Train reaches Mangalore at 5 AM. Catch a cab and reach Dharamastala. Book a room, freshen up and visit the temple. Have lunch at Dharmastala and start to Sringeri. If possible visit Kateel Durgaparameshwari temple and try to reach Sringeri by evening. Have a darshan in Sringeri and halt at Sringeri.

Day 2 (Friday) - Sringeri - Kollur - Udupi (Night Halt at Udupi)

Visit VidyaShankar temple and other temples in Sringeri in the morning and start to Kollur. Have Darshan at Kollur and reach Udupi in the evening. Visit Krishna temple and other temples on Friday evening and spend the night in Udupi.

Day 3 (Saturday) - Udupi - Mangalore (Catch 9:30 PM train)

Visit Anegudde Ganapati temple, Maple beach, St. Mary's Island and any other tourist places? Start from Udupi around 6 PM and reach Mangalore to catch the train at 9:30 PM.

Is this a good plan? Please suggest any places that I might have missed or have I packed too many places in my iterinary?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks