Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 10:32   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Is the elevated road from Nelamangala to Bangalore open finally or are they still waiting for the ministerial inaugration?
Old 13th September 2010, 10:48   #2477
BHPian

Dear HVK,
No, I came via Neelamangla, the Flyovers are complete but all entry routes were blocked so had to use the service routes-being Sunday it was a breeze! I saw oncoming traffuc use the Flyovers and even seen the Toll booths functional?
Old 13th September 2010, 10:58   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear HVK,
No, I came via Neelamangla, the Flyovers are complete but all entry routes were blocked so had to use the service routes-being Sunday it was a breeze! I saw oncoming traffuc use the Flyovers and even seen the Toll booths functional?
What time did you arrive at Nelamangala
It took me 1 hour from Nelamangala to ORR intersection yestedday night 10 PM-11 PM, there was a ambulance also stuck, i am not aware what happend to the patient.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:03   #2479

I need to travel by car from Bangalore to Karkala next week and would be for the first time on this route. Cosidering the prevailing Road conditions and Weather can somebody who has travelled recently please advise which route to opt for.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:03   #2480
Team-BHP Support

What is latest on Kunigal-Neelamangala? Though 4-Laning is on, is it easy to drive or many diversions?
Old 13th September 2010, 11:07   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
road conditions are pathetic in the Hassan city (IS it fit to be the ex PM's town ?), Kunigal-Nelamangala (probably due to rains), For the rest of the stretch there are too many pot holes with too much frequency.

Good stretches are Bramhavar-Hebri, Shringeri-Balehonnur, Chikmagalur-Belur-outskirts of Hassan and the other side of Hassan till Kunigal.

This 11 hours 15 minutes journey is one of the longest time i have taken for any 420 KM stretch, thanks to many breaks, bad roads and heavy traffic.

This morning i woke up with sore body and a heavy head-ache.
. One of the reasons for this pathetic state of roads is the petty politics played by the politicians (ex PM, CM, everyone). Apparently, the NHAI and the Town Municipality is at loggerheads as to who maintains the road (B M Road - NH 48). This issue came up, when the bypass was newly created and the NHAI refused to maintain the old road which went through Hassan, while the Municipality insisted that it was the NHAI's responsibility. Ever since, the road has been left unattended. The potholes would get filled up only if a VIP visited.

You should have taken the Hassan bypass (unless you had any work in town). The Hassan-Bangalore stretch is now going to the dogs. Especially, near Kunigal. It is a such a pain driving on this road now.

For people who want to reach Mysore Road from Magadi Road, there is an alternative route. You can take right at Tavarekere and reach Kengeri directly. The distance to Kengeri is about 12 kms (Magadi road to ORR Kengeri). Initially, the road is very bad (in Tavarekere), but after that it is decent with a few potholes here and there. But it can be managed easily. There is very little traffic.

Check out the following link for the route

Thavarekere, Karnataka to Kengeri Police Station - Google Maps
Old 13th September 2010, 11:11   #2482
Senior - BHPian

"4laning work between Kundapura to Goa to start from next year."

Read this news in last week am not sure we should cheer or feel bad, for sure it will be a easy drive but this stretch will loose the charm.

and on the time i guess am sure they will take 10years or more to complete this:(
Old 13th September 2010, 11:12   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Did the Kundapur - Bangalore trip yesterday. Came down thru Udipi - Ujire - Chikmangalur - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Nice road off to Mysore road exit.
Any reason to go to Udupi? or you wanted to take Ujire road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Halady->Hebri-> Agumbe-> Sringeri->Chikkamanglur->Belur->Hasan->Kunigal-> Magadi->Nice Road to Link Road!
Yesterday I did this route, started from Kundapur at 5:10, reached home at 13:30, around 1.5 hrs break in between! Traffic after Hassan is terrible even in day lights.

Route till Halady is broken! Every small village approaching is notified by huge craters. Road is better between Hebri and Someshwara, continuous to be good till first two hairpins in Agumbe ghats. My brother sitting next to me explained me that after first two Hairpins, its Shimoga District hence expect road to go bad. As he explained hair pins are bad after that, though further you travel, thanks to concrete roads, hairpins are good.

Agumbe Sringeri balehonnur road is full of twists and turns, broken at places. Road from balehonur to Aldur is full of surprises. so be surprised!

Road from Aldur to Chikmaglur is good, gets scrachy when you reach chikmaglur. We reached there at 9:30 hoping to get breakfast, damn! Either its Sunday or this towns wakes up very late! We had to travel Hassan to get breakfast.

Chikmaglur to Bellur route is bad at about 4 km, till you cross tank bed.
After that its bliss till you approach Hassan. Once you reach Hassan, welcome to potholes. We took bypass road, as we planned to have breakfast at Kamat (udayapura). Reached Kamat at 10:15, rested till 11. Road from here to Magadi is good, with diversions, and some morons trying to come on your side even when the other side is open! Too many buses plying, none of them wanting you to overtake them! making your life harder. Added to that lots of places these local transport tempo-travelers wanting to make impression! Still able to maintain 100km speed, higher on some stretches. Took Magadi road, Sigh! Too much of a traffic from opposite end making overtaking cycle also difficult. Thanks to Ganesha, some kids with Gundas wanting to make quick buck. All in the name of god.

Nice to to link road is cruse. Saw one Santro parked in right most lane, idiot wants to take picture! Truck broke down right between right most lane and second right most lane! A truck coming in wrong direction in right most lane with light on stating his intension!

When I took exist (1 pm) in link road next to PES college the enthrilling ride ended and reality of choked traffic welcomed! From there to house in 2 km reached in 30 mins.

Journey isn't much tiring, but couldn't avoid some of the surprises. Considering its my maiden long voyage in 4 wheels (me driving of course), I went bed with smile! Its far better than when I took bus.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:19   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
What time did you arrive at Nelamangala
It took me 1 hour from Nelamangala to ORR intersection yestedday night 10 PM-11 PM, there was a ambulance also stuck, i am not aware what happend to the patient.
I crossed just after 3 pm and was at home before 4 pm- about 35 kms in under an hour-like I said stopped at the lights otherwise traffic was moving that to pretty fast.

Last edited by Judemayne : 13th September 2010 at 11:19. Reason: spellings
Old 13th September 2010, 13:16   #2485
Senior - BHPian

Looks like most of the roads in the Malanadu region are going bad, thanks to rains! Let's hope these are rebuilt once the rains abate - not sure why KA has the highest road tax in the country
Old 13th September 2010, 15:00   #2486
Senior - BHPian

@RaguHolla: No specific reason. The route taken was Udupi - Karkala - Ujire and so on. This was the first time for me on this route and relied on a last moment shout out for help and advice.

And your note on the 'toll' collection by kids - noticed this once on the road when I was right behind a car. There were 8~9 guys on the road. Realized the moment I saw them what they are there for. The car guy, for whatever reason, slowed down and stopped. They came down to my path, but sensing that I am in no way going to stop, they moved out. Looks like the car guy also tried to move, but one of those goon sat on the hood! Am sure the car fellow got his purse lighter by few 100's at the minimum. And say, isnt this dacoity?
Old 13th September 2010, 23:28   #2487
BHPian

Does any one know the current state of Shiradi Ghat? am planning to go to Dharmasthala during the last week of Sep (from Bangalore)
Old 13th September 2010, 23:56   #2488
BHPian

I did this stretch on 12th Sunday in my Zen. I thought it was drivable.
There were no big stones and boulders unlike last year. Just, you got to take it slowly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
Does any one know the current state of Shiradi Ghat? am planning to go to Dharmasthala during the last week of Sep (from Bangalore)
Old 14th September 2010, 12:16   #2489
BHPian

Drove from BLR to Hassan & back on Sunday / Monday. Magadi road inside the Magadi town is in shambles ( potholes & craters abound !!), apart from these, road upto the junction with NH 48 is good.

NH 48 from Kunigal almost right upto Bellur cross is potholed / cratered making for a bone shattering drive. After Bellur cross, upto Hassan it is the good old NH.

People driving small cars with an ordinary suspensions / shocks will surely feel the drive nerve wracking on the bad sections mentioned above.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:27   #2490
Team-BHP Support

This weekend I will be travelling back to Manipal with my parents. I think I'll take the Madikeri route where only the Sampaje stretch is little bad. I want to spare them the horrors of Kunigal stretch or the Shiradi or the CKM-Someshwara.

Despite driving a SUV, the drive is nerve wrecking because of the even distribution of potholes. While doing good speed, one suddenly encounters potholes and end up driving on it faster than intended. After 20-30 such occurrences, it can become very frustrating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks