Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 22:00   #2551
Senior - BHPian

We people in Malnad refer "Ghattadavaru" as people coming from across the western ghats that is people from coastal area. So this is opposite to what coastal people refer.
Old 28th September 2010, 21:29   #2552
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to drive down to Kundapura from Bangalore on Oct 10th early morning. This is going to be my first drive on that route.

I am planning to take The Tumkur -> Shimoga -> kundapura route. I am not too sure about the Shimoga -> Kundapura route. Can some one please list the possible routes from shimoga to Kundapura and the latest road condition?
Old 29th September 2010, 10:09   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive down to Kundapura from Bangalore on Oct 10th early morning. This is going to be my first drive on that route.

I am planning to take The Tumkur -> Shimoga -> kundapura route. I am not too sure about the Shimoga -> Kundapura route. Can some one please list the possible routes from shimoga to Kundapura and the latest road condition?
Route1: Shimoga -> Thirthahalli ->Hulikal-> Hosangdi -> Siddapura -> Ampar-> Basrur -> Kundapura

Ghats seems to be in shambles. This is normal KSRTC route.

Route2: Shimoga -> Thirthahalli-> Agumbe -> Someshwara -> Hebri -> Halady -> Hunsimakki -> Basrur -> Kundapura.

Relative travlled this route 1 month back. Says its best route to Bangalore via Shimoga. I have travelled myself till Agumbe in this route, route between Someshwara and Basrur is full of pothole. Low GC vehicle, keep check on Speed!

Any reason to travel via Shimoga?
Old 29th September 2010, 10:14   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Route1: Shimoga -> Thirthahalli ->Hulikal-> Hosangdi -> Siddapura -> Ampar-> Basrur -> Kundapura

Ghats seems to be in shambles. This is normal KSRTC route.

Route2: Shimoga -> Thirthahalli-> Agumbe -> Someshwara -> Hebri -> Halady -> Hunsimakki -> Basrur -> Kundapura.

Relative travlled this route 1 month back. Says its best route to Bangalore via Shimoga. I have travelled myself till Agumbe in this route, route between Someshwara and Basrur is full of pothole. Low GC vehicle, keep check on Speed!

Any reason to travel via Shimoga?
Ragu,

Thanks for your input. from what I have learned Bangalore-hassan-shiradi ghat-mangalore-kundapura is not in very good condition. The route via Shimoga seems to be in relatively better condition. Can you suggest any other route?
Old 29th September 2010, 10:31   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ragu,

Thanks for your input. from what I have learned Bangalore-hassan-shiradi ghat-mangalore-kundapura is not in very good condition. The route via Shimoga seems to be in relatively better condition. Can you suggest any other route?
Other possible route,
BLR-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-JAYAPURA-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-HEBRI-KUNDAPURA. This is in decent condition
Old 29th September 2010, 10:34   #2556
Team-BHP Support

Nobody goes to Bangalore to Kundapura via Mangalore, that would be strange unless you have some business in Mangalore. BTW, Shiradi is the best of the lot right now, I have driven it twice since the last 10 days.

I traveled via Hulikal ghat in late July. But that was in a Jeep in the night in severe rain and fog. So I have no idea how the road conditions was then let alone now. Considering the rain in that area, it has to be bad by now.

The truth is, after 4 months of severe rains, there isn't a single good road left between Bangalore and the coast. You might as well take the closest route and be done with it.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:41   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Samurai, longer routes with bad stretches will be frustrating. i feel the Siradi is the best. but going via Ujre - Karkala this stretch is winding and also roads aint that great so considering this the time factor will be higher.

Where as Neliyadi to Mangalore will be faster, Mangalore to Udupi depends on traffic if one is lucky it will be breeze...
Old 29th September 2010, 10:43   #2558
BHPian

Considering that I have to go to Kundapura, wouldn't be closer going via Shimoga->thirthalli->hulikal?
Old 29th September 2010, 11:26   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Considering that I have to go to Kundapura, wouldn't be closer going via Shimoga->thirthalli->hulikal?
When I last checked route suggested by sushrutha is least distance, Distance is around 434km (actual, though google says it 420km). Distance of hulikal is another 20km+

Via Mangalore it will be around 470km.

All these from PES college south Bangalore.

Going till ghats is one thing, you have to consider ghats road width and traffic in those ghats. As Samurai, lohithrao pointed out roads via shiradi is widest. Hence though road is not in good condition, chance for you to keep good speed is high. However NH17 itself is broken many places between Mangalore and Kundapur.

Belur~Agumbe and Thirthahalli~Hulikal ghats width are same, I believe traffic is less in Agumbe road and road is better condition than that of Hulikal.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:07   #2560
BHPian

Exact location of Ossur restaurant, Sakleshpur

I'm headed to Kukke and based on the discussions here, feel Ossur restaurant near Sakleshpur would be a good stop for lunch. I just want to know the exact location of this place, so that I don't miss it out. Is it after Sakleshpur town or before Sakleshpur town when going to Kukke from Bangalore. Any other landmarks to identify the same would be of great help.

Thanks,
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:13   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I'm headed to Kukke and based on the discussions here, feel Ossur restaurant near Sakleshpur would be a good stop for lunch. I just want to know the exact location of this place, so that I don't miss it out. Is it after Sakleshpur town or before Sakleshpur town when going to Kukke from Bangalore. Any other landmarks to identify the same would be of great help.

Thanks,
This is before Sakleshpur. Coming from b'lore this would come on the right side and it is perched on a slope. I feel it should be somewhere about 3kms from Sakleshpur. Hope this helps.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:26   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
This is before Sakleshpur. Coming from b'lore this would come on the right side and it is perched on a slope. I feel it should be somewhere about 3kms from Sakleshpur. Hope this helps.
Thanks JMaruru. It helps.
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:56   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

We now have a change of plan. Planning to Jog falls and then to Kundapura. So this is the paln : Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Shimoga -> jog falls -> Either Bhatkal or Kollur -> Kundapura.

Can some one please update the latest road condition of Shimoga -> Jog falls -> bhatkal/kollur -> Kundapur.
Old 4th October 2010, 00:22   #2564
Senior - BHPian

vnk77: Did this route a month back. Same as you had mentioned. Road are good / OK to Shimoga and Jog Falls.

It is after Jog falls, when you travel to Bhatkal that the roads start going bad. And once you reach NH17, all hell breaks lose till Kundapur.
Old 4th October 2010, 00:51   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
We now have a change of plan. Planning to Jog falls and then to Kundapura. So this is the paln : Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Shimoga -> jog falls -> Either Bhatkal or Kollur -> Kundapura.

Can some one please update the latest road condition of Shimoga -> Jog falls -> bhatkal/kollur -> Kundapur.
vnk, the Shimoga -> Jog road is ok; lots of bad patches but motor-able. The road from Bhatkal though doesn't deserve to be called a road! Kindly avoid at least the Bhatkal -Marwante stretch unless you plan to do some off-roading enroute

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks