Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 23:01   #2671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes, they have completed the road and are doing toll testing. only flyover from Yeswantpur to 9th mile is not open for traffic. toll road from 9th mile to Nelamangala is ready. It just take 10 mins to complete the whole stretch. Now i prefer Nelmangala route rather than Magadi, in Magadi route magadi town is in horrible condition, it will take more than 20 mins to just cross the town and approach road to Magadi road via t.dasarahalli is in shambles. Its really great to see nelmangala route is ready. Even nelamangala to kunigal is manageble barring small bad stretch.
I too usually travel my Magadi road and would prefer not to take magadi route this time because of bad road conditions near magadi town. i am sure this must have further deteriorated after my drive last month. Sorry for my poor understanding - Since i am heading to mangalore few days from now before diwali does it mean that this time i can take Nelamangala route instead of magadi? please advise . i just wanted to make sure/reconfirm whether Nelamangala route is now motorable or at least by Oct 31

Thanks for your inputs!
Old 20th October 2010, 23:22   #2672
BHPian

@lazybrain route info with screenshot

By the way did u hit bangalore via Nelamangala or Magadi?

I came through Magadi after Kunigal, its been more than 2 years that I have gone through Nelamangala.

Can you provide us some more details how to locate this diversion when we hit ujire? is it easy to locate?

While coming from Mangalore just after you cross River Kumardhara bridge take a left towards the town. Cross the River Nethravati bridge and take the right. It is not advisable to travel in night through this stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-untitled.jpg  

Old 20th October 2010, 23:30   #2673
BHPian

thanks Chikku - This was some useful info. I will try this route you suggested. It will save me from lot of frustration avoiding Belthangady to BC road. I assume when i am driving down from Bangalore to ujire i need to ask directions for IIanthila once i reach Ujire and after i reach IIanthila i need to ask for Uppinangadi?

Regarding night travel - I hate driving at night. My time to start from any destination is 4:30 AM with fresh mind unless its not an odd situation or emergency, i prefer to avoid night drives

Last edited by lazybrain : 20th October 2010 at 23:36.
Old 20th October 2010, 23:45   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
thanks Chikku - This was some useful info. I will try this route you suggested. It will save me from lot of frustration avoiding Belthangady to BC road. I assume when i am driving down from Bangalore to ujire i need to ask directions for IIanthila once i reach Ujire and after i reach IIanthila i need to ask for Uppinangadi?

Regarding night travel - I hate driving at night. My time to start from any destination is 4:30 AM with fresh mind unless its not an odd situation or emergency, i prefer to avoid night drives
Hey happy to help .
But remember, this route is a lot slower and a km of bad pot-holed road.
I may not travel in this stretch again.
Old 21st October 2010, 22:48   #2675
BHPian

I have been reading from a couple of posts before, but still could not get an exact idea of how the road from Bangalore to Mangalore is.

Can someone please give me the best route from Bangalore to Mangalore for a drive. I don even mind traveling more to take better road (an extra 50-75km is fine with me).
please throw some light on how the roads are from mangalore till calicut.

These are the details needed.

-> Best route from Bangalore to Mangalore

-> Road condition from Mangalore to Calicut (I hope there is only one route to take in this stretch)

If there are no good roads in between, I will take a train So advice me accordingly.

Thanks in advance
Old 21st October 2010, 23:06   #2676
Team-BHP Support

As per what Samurai mentioned, all ghat-roads are equally damaged. Hence the best option is to take the one which has the least distance to destination!

In this case it is Shiradi.
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:23   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
All said and done, i feel most of the times, shiradi is the best option.
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:03   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
If you own a SUV go via Shiradi ghat since it is the shortest route to reach Mangalore and your vehicle will almost absorb all the shocks on the shiradi ghat.

If u have low end cars, Wagon R, Santro etc I would suggest Charmadi ghat, though longer than Shiradi but your vehicle health will be relatively better.
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:24   #2679
Team-BHP Support

It is raining very heavily for the last 15 hours in the coast, all night, this is must be some record. How can clouds hold so much water?
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:39   #2680
Senior - BHPian

Blast from the clouds

What a rain, it started to pour around 6pm yesterday and its still pouring!!! this morning it was too heavy!!!

kotara chowki is choko blocked, roads have got flooded badly, am sure it would be worse on the ghats. people who intend to travel around the coast beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is raining very heavily for the last 15 hours in the coast, all night, this is must be some record. How can clouds hold so much water?
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:31   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
For people who want to reach Mysore Road from Magadi Road, there is an alternative route. You can take right at Tavarekere and reach Kengeri directly. The distance to Kengeri is about 12 kms (Magadi road to ORR Kengeri). Initially, the road is very bad (in Tavarekere), but after that it is decent with a few potholes here and there. But it can be managed easily. There is very little traffic.

Check out the following link for the route

Thavarekere, Karnataka to Kengeri Police Station - Google Maps
Anyone has travelled on this road recently? I have to drive to Hassan on Sunday and was thinking of trying this road if it is not bad, instead of NICE road to reach Magadi road.

thanks
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:57   #2682
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
What a rain, it started to pour around 6pm yesterday and its still pouring!!! this morning it was too heavy!!!
Keep in mind that you and I are separated by 80Kms. What amount of rain must have pounded the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
kotara chowki is choko blocked, roads have got flooded badly, am sure it would be worse on the ghats. people who intend to travel around the coast beware!
Fortunately it doesn't flood in ghats, but driving will be dicey for people who are not used to driving in heavy rains. I generally love it.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:11   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Sharath, i agree. places where i dint see any sign of flooding this monsoon has flooded in a over night rains.

Even i love driving in rain, esp on the hills but with bad pot holes and land slides it might get risky esp with such heavy downpour...

Places affected, BC road, Padil, Bondel junction, Kotara chowki. am sure bondel juction will be a huge mess now!

Last edited by lohithrao : 22nd October 2010 at 12:12.
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:15   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Anyone has travelled on this road recently? I have to drive to Hassan on Sunday and was thinking of trying this road if it is not bad, instead of NICE road to reach Magadi road.

thanks
My dad traveled on this road last week and the conditions are same as reported earlier. The road passes through a few villages and it is broken in the village limits. Other than that, it should be fine. This is a shorter route to Magadi road. Btw, my dad has taken his Linea (read, very low ground clearance) on this road and has not faced any problem. Try to avoid this stretch late in the evenings as it is very desolate and no vehicles would pass through apart from the odd BMTC bus.

There is another road from Mysore Road to Magadi Road. This is slightly longer but a very good road.

Take a right turn near Rajarajeshwari Engg and Dental college on Mysore Road and pass through Big Banyan Tree and Chandrappa circle and reach Magadi road a few Kms before Thippagondanahalli.
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:07   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
My dad traveled on this road last week and the conditions are same as reported earlier. The road passes through a few villages and it is broken in the village limits. Other than that, it should be fine. This is a shorter route to Magadi road. Btw, my dad has taken his Linea (read, very low ground clearance) on this road and has not faced any problem. Try to avoid this stretch late in the evenings as it is very desolate and no vehicles would pass through apart from the odd BMTC bus.

There is another road from Mysore Road to Magadi Road. This is slightly longer but a very good road.

Take a right turn near Rajarajeshwari Engg and Dental college on Mysore Road and pass through Big Banyan Tree and Chandrappa circle and reach Magadi road a few Kms before Thippagondanahalli.
thank you @addihemmige. I will try the second one. It does not seem to be much longer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks