Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 17:56   #2866
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sakleshpur - Kottigehara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The pain of taking this route is about traversing the bad roads of hassan town. Is there any other way to get into the belur road from NH48?
Yes, there is a way. Don't enter Hassan, continue on NH48. Enter Hassan from the Sakleshpur side, the Belur turn is barely a KM away. There is also a narrow gully which can reduce the distance to couple 100 meters, but that is really bad.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th December 2010 at 18:00.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:14   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sakleshpur - Kottigehara.

Quote:
How is the road after sakleshpur town(3 Kms after the town) which leads to kottigehara? I am planning to take this for my drive towards charmady ghat morrow.
Check this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2156317

Quote:
The pain of taking this route is about traversing the bad roads of hassan town. Is there any other way to get into the belur road from NH48?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, there is a way. Don't enter Hassan, continue on NH48. Enter Hassan from the Sakleshpur side, the Belur turn is barely a KM away.
To enter Hassan from Sakleshpur side is also worse. There is no route which can avoid bad roads in Hassan. Try this route, when you enter the Hassan bypass, after 2 major junctions (1st junction is Mysore road and second junction is Gorur road), look out for a road to your right. This is the first right turn after Gorur road intersection. It is in pathetic condition but the bad stretch lasts less than a kilometer. You will join the BM road at Tanneeru Halla. The Belur road starts from there.

Ampere had put up a map showing this route sometime back. I don't remember in which thread he had put it up. Will see if I can find it.
Old 15th December 2010, 20:08   #2868
BHPian

Re: Belur Road

Quote:
Yes, there is a way. Don't enter Hassan, continue on NH48. Enter Hassan from the Sakleshpur side, the Belur turn is barely a KM away. There is also a narrow gully which can reduce the distance to couple 100 meters, but that is really bad.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
To enter Hassan from Sakleshpur side is also worse. There is no route which can avoid bad roads in Hassan. Try this route, when you enter the Hassan bypass, after 2 major junctions (1st junction is Mysore road and second junction is Gorur road), look out for a road to your right. This is the first right turn after Gorur road intersection. It is in pathetic condition but the bad stretch lasts less than a kilometer. You will join the BM road at Tanneeru Halla. The Belur road starts from there.Ampere had put up a map showing this route sometime back. I don't remember in which thread he had put it up. Will see if I can find it.
Thanks. Let me see if i can catch the 3rd right once i enter the bypass. Is there any landmark out there? If i am not able to catch the same shall proceed further and join from the sakleshpur side.
Old 15th December 2010, 21:09   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Let me see if i can catch the 3rd right once i enter the bypass. Is there any landmark out there? If i am not able to catch the same shall proceed further and join from the sakleshpur side.
Make that the third intersection. You won't miss it. It is easy to find. But, as addy mentioned, the road is in shambles.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:09   #2870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This road is the first right turn after Gorur road intersection.

There is a mound of mud on this road. You have to go by the side of this mound. This road cuts the bypass and continues to your left. It is in a diagonal sort of angle from the bypass. There should be no problems in noticing it. In case you have doubts, you can ask for Belur road.

Going further and joining from the Sakleshpur side will also put you on bad roads.
Old 16th December 2010, 13:52   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the road after sakleshpur town(3 Kms after the town) which leads to kottigehara?
Quote:
This road is the Hanbal-Mudigere road. IIRC, sushrutha had recently travelled on this road and had reported that it was in very bad shape. This joins the regular Belur-Mudigere road at Jannapura.

To reach Kottigehara, better take the Hassan-Belur-Gendehally-Mudigere-Kottigehara route.
Rightly said Addy.
The road after Hanbal is in pathetic condition.(though 20km stretch)
If you hate your car, yourself, your passengers then take this route.
Shiradi ghat is far better than this road.

Quote:
This road is the first right turn after Gorur road intersection.

There is a mound of mud on this road. You have to go by the side of this mound. This road cuts the bypass and continues to your left. It is in a diagonal sort of angle from the bypass. There should be no problems in noticing it. In case you have doubts, you can ask for Belur road.

Going further and joining from the Sakleshpur side will also put you on bad roads.
Good news is the Hassan bypass had some deep potholes , it has been covered with tar.
The only problem is joining Belur road. Any road you take is in bad condition.
Even above mentioned road is in bad condition after railway track. Good thing is, it's just a 300mtr stretch.
Old 20th December 2010, 15:09   #2872
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I am driving down to Kundapur on Saturday morning.This is the route I plan to take.I am planning to take my Swift D instead of the ikon TDCI.

This is the route I intend to take.
Blore-Tumkur-Gubbi-Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Someshwar-Haladi-Kundapur.

The last time I did this route in October end,there were patches near Tarikere and Birur which were in a bad state.
Any idea if the repair work has progressed on this?

Thanks
KH
Old 20th December 2010, 17:18   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Back from a trip to the ghats. Traveled to Gundya in the last seat of a KSRTC Rajahamsa and got thrown all over the place while moving through Shiradi ghat. I feel the road is getting worse by the day.

For the return journey, came through Mudigere. Again, the Mudigere-Cheeknally-Belur road is comparable to the condition of the Shiradi ghat road.
Old 20th December 2010, 17:23   #2874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
I am driving down to Kundapur on Saturday morning.This is the route I plan to take.I am planning to take my Swift D instead of the ikon TDCI.

I suggest you take a more direct route after thirthahalli.

Thirthahalli, Karnataka to Kundapura, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 20th December 2010, 17:29   #2875
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you take a more direct route after thirthahalli.

Thirthahalli, Karnataka to Kundapura, Karnataka - Google Maps
Thanks for this Samurai
Any idea how are the road conditions on this route? I havent tried this one in the past
Old 21st December 2010, 10:25   #2876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Any idea if the repair work has progressed on this?
No repair work in progress as of now.
The road after Tiptur is deteriorating very fast.
Best route to Kundapura as of now would be
BLR-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Kundapura.
Just a small bad stretch between sangameshwarapete - Balehonnur.

Took the Charmadi & Shiradi ghats once again this week.
I'll let the pics do the talking
The ever beautiful Charmadi Ghats .. Just some bad patches around the Hairpin curves.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2166.jpg
see it to believe it... NH 48 .. Before Gundya
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2178.jpg
Some relief .. Good news The road is getting repaired till Gundya.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2181.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2186.jpg

The worst part ... still the same. Hope it gets repaired ASAP
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2197.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dscn2204.jpg
Old 21st December 2010, 14:10   #2877
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
For the return journey, came through Mudigere. Again, the Mudigere-Cheeknally-Belur road is comparable to the condition of the Shiradi ghat road.
Addy, is there any other road from Belur to Mudigere (like the one via gendehally)? If yes can you pleae give me the directions? Also how is the stretch between Mudigere and Kottigehara and further on till charmadi ghat? We are planning a trip to Udupi in the new year and planning to take this road :
Mysore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Karkala - Udupi.

We are taking this route because of a planned stay at Dharmasthala.

How is the road beyond Ujire and till Udupi?
Old 21st December 2010, 14:30   #2878
Team-BHP Support

Ujire to Udupi, 90% of the way is good. But 10% is bad, and it is spread over.
Old 21st December 2010, 14:46   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Addy, is there any other road from Belur to Mudigere (like the one via gendehally)?
The road is good though single way. I travelled on this a month back and avoided Mudigere - Gonibeedu - Belur which appareently is in a mess.

Hallik - As Samurai said, unless you want to try Agumbe ghat, drive straight from Tirthahalli to Kundapaur and the road is very good.
Old 21st December 2010, 17:47   #2880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Addy, is there any other road from Belur to Mudigere (like the one via gendehally)? If yes can you pleae give me the directions? Also how is the stretch between Mudigere and Kottigehara and further on till charmadi ghat? We are planning a trip to Udupi in the new year and planning to take this road :
Mysore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Karkala - Udupi.

We are taking this route because of a planned stay at Dharmasthala.

How is the road beyond Ujire and till Udupi?
Belur to Mudigere, there are only 2 routes that I am aware of, the Cheeknally road and the Gendehally road. The only other alternative is to travel via Chikmagalur. Better take the Gendehally road. As of now, it is the better of the available alternatives. I have no idea, regarding road conditions from Mudigere to Kottigehara. I last traveled on that stretch in September and it was good at that time. From sushrutha's pics, Charmadi seems to be good.

Most Viewed