Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 18:05   #2986
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Kamathre, hehe we shiradi will make any vehicle sweat yesterday came to bangalore in volvo and in shiradi the bus was rocking/dancing.
Old 14th January 2011, 18:50   #2987
Senior - BHPian

^^ I guess very soon even the Volvos will have to move about on SPOAs in Shiradi

My parents have chosen the safest of the arts tonight, they are travelling by train. Becoming quite difficult to get train tickets, though.
Old 15th January 2011, 11:31   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
^^ I guess very soon even the Volvos will have to move about on SPOAs in Shiradi
Being a follower (yes, in literal sense) of these Airavat's in the ghats, it's a sad sight to see the drivers drive in a zig-zag mode, on almost every corner, just to avoid the underbody scrapings. And that's where I beat them. Once they are back on straight/normal roads, they just fly away, hehe.
Old 16th January 2011, 13:47   #2989
Senior - BHPian

kamathre, Airavatha's are good at gulping kms but not the bad roads hehe

back from bangy yesterday and as usual took Airavatha, all was good until we reach shiradi the driver seem to be in a bit hurry or was it because of descending the rocking/dancing was much harder compared to climbing up which resulted in few people throwing up.......ahh it almsot made me too but thankfully i dint but the rest of the journey was wait for me to reach home(mangy)...

how i iwsish i could drive but thanks to the fuel hikes driving will be a BIG no:(
Old 16th January 2011, 14:01   #2990
Team-BHP Support

After seeing all the posts on Magadi versus Nelamangala, so what is the summary as of today?
If one is taking NICE is it worth taking the Magadi exit and taking the Magadi road or go all the way till Nelamangala and take the partial 4L?

I was of opinion that if one is in South Bangalore, Magadi is a better option, while for North Banagalore, Nelamangala is better. Does this till hold good?

Also a generic question. The NH48 4-laning: Is it under the purview of NHAI/GQ/NS Corridor?
Old 16th January 2011, 17:28   #2991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was of opinion that if one is in South Bangalore, Magadi is a better option, while for North Banagalore, Nelamangala is better. Does this till hold good?
I'd say, if on NICE, makes sense to continue up to NH4 and take the elevated/widended corridor till Nelamangala. The 4-laning b/w Nelamangala and Kunigal is not that bad. This option would be faster than the one via Magadi, albeit not as beautiful.

Quote:
Also a generic question. The NH48 4-laning: Is it under the purview of NHAI/GQ/NS Corridor?
It is under the purview of NHAI but NOT as a part pf GQ/NSEW corridor. Many highways across the country are being widened despite not being a part of GQ/NSEW, primarily by virtue of being high-traffic corridors. Some of these include NH17, NH6, etc.
Old 16th January 2011, 20:41   #2992
Senior - BHPian

Well i feel the misery of the yeshwanthpura -Peenya stretch is taken care and one who is in hurry can happily use it but for the one who wants the feel of good old 2lane highway then it is Magadi but be ready to speand more time..

Quote:
After seeing all the posts on Magadi versus Nelamangala, so what is the summary as of today?
If one is taking NICE is it worth taking the Magadi exit and taking the Magadi road or go all the way till Nelamangala and take the partial 4L?

Old 16th January 2011, 22:07   #2993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well i feel the misery of the yeshwanthpura -Peenya stretch is taken care and one who is in hurry can happily use it but for the one who wants the feel of good old 2lane highway then it is Magadi but be ready to speand more time..
If the road is good even from the start (I mean Yeshwantpur) then one need not take NICE road as well. Just drive through the city in the morning times. That would be much faster.
Old 16th January 2011, 22:21   #2994
Team-BHP Support

Today I did Bangalore to Bellur Cross in 1 3/4 hour. It used to take 3 hours before. I did Bangalore-Manipal in 8 hours, including 1 hour worth of breaks.

Took Shiradi ghats today, it is baaaaddd. They have laid new tarmac, it starts about 7Kms after crossing Gundya. Don't know when it will come all the way to Sakleshpur.
Old 17th January 2011, 07:54   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
If the road is good even from the start (I mean Yeshwantpur) then one need not take NICE road as well. Just drive through the city in the morning times. That would be much faster.
+1. Exactly, i too do the same. You can even start at 6 in the morning and drive through the city to be there at the entrance of the y'pur flyover in 30 mins and nelamangala junction in another 15 mins (Thanks to the new flyover).
Old 17th January 2011, 11:15   #2996
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
+1. Exactly, i too do the same. You can even start at 6 in the morning and drive through the city to be there at the entrance of the y'pur flyover in 30 mins and nelamangala junction in another 15 mins (Thanks to the new flyover).
Thanks. That settles it.
And think what you save: 125/- Toll on the NICE from NH7 to NH4 One way
Old 17th January 2011, 13:26   #2997
BHPian

Hello Guys, One query :

My parents are scheduled to travel from BLR to Udupi on 28th Jan. They will be travelling by a Tempo Traveller and the group intends to go via Shimoga as they have to pick up a person there.

IIRC, Agumbe ghats are not in good condition and most of the group who are travelling in that vehicle will be senior citizens in the age group of 65-75.

Is there any better route from Shimoga to Udupi ( apart from going via Agumbe) ? Suggestions / Comments / Guidance welcome !!

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 17th January 2011 at 13:28.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:30   #2998
Team-BHP Support

Thirthahalli-Agumbe is the standard route and also the shortest route.
Another option is to go via Sringeri-Karkala but I am not sure if road conditions would be any better.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2011 at 13:35.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:32   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hello Guys, One query :

My parents are scheduled to travel from BLR to Udupi on 28th Jan. They will be travelling by a Tempo Traveller and the group intends to go via Shimoga as they have to pick up a person there.

IIRC, Agumbe ghats are not in good condition and most of the group who are travelling in that vehicle will be senior citizens in the age group of 65-75.

Is there any better route from Shimoga to Udupi ( apart from going via Agumbe) ? Suggestions / Comments / Guidance welcome !!
Rajesh,
I'd suggest that you stick to this route.
A lot of road is being relaid on this stretch.By Jan 28th,I guess there would be a lot of progress.

Even otherwise,I believe,this is the best stretch to goto Udupi/Kundapur at the moment.
The roads between Thirthahalli to Agumbe are not good but manageable.
Its much better than the others(Shiradi and Charmadi ghats)
Old 17th January 2011, 14:19   #3000
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I came to Bangalore from Mangalore in KSRTC Volvo. I saw that they have started repairing the roads from the top. The quality of repair leaves a lot to be desired though.

OT: This time I decided go to Mangalore by bus, after my car's suspension broke during last week's trip. While coming back yesterday, the bus engine stopped functioning (coincidentally, very close to where my car's suspension broke) and it took me 14 hours to reach Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks