Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 17:57   #3016
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Not sure what the plan is after levelling.
Psst! I can tell you the plan. They will go through the motions of fixing the ghat roads until May, when it will look almost decent. Then we will have some newbie members showing up on thread saying this thread has served its purpose. There is no need for this thread anymore, since the roads are fixed.

But the veteran practitioners of this art will only shake their head knowingly and wait for the rains to start. By June end we will all be back on the trail, reporting latest condition of various ghats on this thread.
Old 18th January 2011, 18:00   #3017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
The work of patching up the potholes from the sakaleshpur side has started from end of Oct 2010 and has not progressed much. I dont think they will reach Nelyadi before the monsoon.

I have travelled in the last week of Oct 2010, last week of Dec 2010 and again last week, and the progress is extremely slow.

I also saw a JCB levelling the craters (potholes) and the huge difference in height of the road from one end to the other because the road got washed away. Not sure what the plan is after levelling.
The work is going on to the approaches on both sides of shiradi ghat and not on the ghats itself. The ghat roads are there usual self with nothing much changed for quite sometime.
Old 18th January 2011, 18:57   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Psst! I can tell you the plan. They will go through the motions of fixing the ghat roads until May, when it will look almost decent. Then we will have some newbie members showing up on thread saying this thread has served its purpose. There is no need for this thread anymore, since the roads are fixed. But the veteran practitioners of this art will only shake their head knowingly and wait for the rains to start. By June end we will all be back on the trail, reporting latest condition of various ghats on this thread.

@ Samurai, it could'nt have been summarised any better !

This has been the routine, year after year. So I usually try to do my trips around May or June each year.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:03   #3019
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I came via Sringeri-CKM route. Took me 10 hours in the Jeep since top speed possible in my short chassis Jeep is only 85kmph (on really smooth roads). Leaving 1 hour worth of breaks, totally driving time was 9 hours for 410kms.

CKM-Bangalore is now very acceptable, I could maintain 80kmph in many segments. But Manipal to CKM is still pathetic, I am shocked they haven't bothered to fix it even in Jan.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:12   #3020
Senior - BHPian

With 4lane work in full swing many stretches between Mangalore to Kundapura is getting a bit painful in peak hours, certainly can be a very painful experience btw 6-8pm.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:19   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I came via Sringeri-CKM route. Took me 10 hours in the Jeep since top speed possible in my short chassis Jeep is only 85kmph (on really smooth roads). Leaving 1 hour worth of breaks, totally driving time was 9 hours for 410kms.

CKM-Bangalore is now very acceptable, I could maintain 80kmph in many segments. But Manipal to CKM is still pathetic, I am shocked they haven't bothered to fix it even in Jan.
Samurai, Which route do you take from Manipal to CKM?
Old 27th January 2011, 12:22   #3022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Samurai, Which route do you take from Manipal to CKM?
Manipal-Hiriadka-Hebri-Agumbe-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Aldur-CKM, about 160kms, took 3:45 hours in the Jeep.
Old 27th January 2011, 13:23   #3023
BHPian

Anyone planning to change their rides, and if one of the plans is to cruise along Shiradi Ghats, then i think i can suggest a contender here, in this pic.

Seriously, am not joking. This guy stayed ahead of me for so long, enough to give me so much of complex. And he was doing it with not much problems either, even at those large potholes. Maybe the 3 wheel-only factor came in handy. And look at it, it's even got a roof storage carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-26012011472.jpg  

Old 27th January 2011, 15:04   #3024
Distinguished - BHPian

guys,I will be going to kukke this weekend with family.THe route i am taking is bangy->hassan->sakleshpur->gundya->kukke.
Any idea how long will this journey take ?Because i am first timer on this route.
Also,are there some good restaurants, eateries(family type) along the way where we can have breakfast,lunch?Information regarding their location would be really helpful.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:34   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Sagar, you should reach kukke in around 5-6hours if you drive sedately.

Hotel Mayura and Kamath are good for breakfast, Mayura is about 2hours from Nelamangala i normally stop this place as i like Dosa and Vada here

btw i maybe in kukke this weekend...
Old 27th January 2011, 18:18   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
guys,I will be going to kukke this weekend with family.THe route i am taking is bangy->hassan->sakleshpur->gundya->kukke.
Any idea how long will this journey take ?Because i am first timer on this route.
Also,are there some good restaurants, eateries(family type) along the way where we can have breakfast,lunch?Information regarding their location would be really helpful.
From my log for this trip in Oct:
JPN-NICE-Magadi-Hassan BP: 3hrs 40mins
Hassan BP - Sakaleshpura: 50 mins
Sakaleshpura - Gundya: 75 mins
Gundya - Kukke: 25mins

I drive Honda City and would be b/w 80-100kmph.

We had lunch at Ossoor Restaurant which comes to your right, about 5kms before Sakaleshpura town. Good place, decent food and at the boundary of a coffee estate with the same name.

Prasad
Old 27th January 2011, 22:48   #3027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sagar, you should reach kukke in around 5-6hours if you drive sedately.

Hotel Mayura and Kamath are good for breakfast, Mayura is about 2hours from Nelamangala i normally stop this place as i like Dosa and Vada here

btw i maybe in kukke this weekend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
From my log for this trip in Oct:
JPN-NICE-Magadi-Hassan BP: 3hrs 40mins
Hassan BP - Sakaleshpura: 50 mins
Sakaleshpura - Gundya: 75 mins
Gundya - Kukke: 25mins

I drive Honda City and would be b/w 80-100kmph.

We had lunch at Ossoor Restaurant which comes to your right, about 5kms before Sakaleshpura town. Good place, decent food and at the boundary of a coffee estate with the same name.

Prasad
Thanks a lot lohith and prasad for the valuable info!

Lohith,where does this mayura hotel come exactly?2 hours from nelamangala is a bit vague for me
Old 27th January 2011, 22:49   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Please share your experience after your trip. I am planning this route next week.

If possible pls upload photos, particularly the road after Sakleshpur upto Gundya
Old 28th January 2011, 07:12   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Anyone planning to change their rides, and if one of the plans is to cruise along Shiradi Ghats, then i think i can suggest a contender here, in this pic.
Maybe the small wheelbase of the autorickshaw helps here ! No belly scraping for him, for sure.

But on the other hand, over a period of time, the occupant's spines will become shorter
Old 28th January 2011, 09:56   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sagar,

This hotel should be about 100+kms from nelamangala and comes before "adichunchunagiri", say about30kms from Kunigal town.

Its on the left side, nearest land mark is indian oil bunk which is on the left, about 100 mts you can see this huge building.

hope this helps...

Quote:
Thanks a lot lohith and prasad for the valuable info!

Lohith,where does this mayura hotel come exactly?2 hours from nelamangala is a bit vague for me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks