Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 18:04   #3226
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
btw i guess the "Polali" jathre would have attracted huge crowd??
Surprisingly, not much crowd this year ! Monday night / SSLC exams / IPL factor ? However, The Chennde suttu, which started at 1am attracted huge crowds.
Old 13th April 2011, 19:03   #3227
BHPian

Hey,
Need help on the road condition, planning to do Bangalore-Mangalore-Bangalore over the weekend, need to know should I use NH48 Shiradi ghat or use the Madikeri route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th April 2011, 19:08   #3228
Senior - BHPian

Kartik, if you check last couple of pages you will get your answer. obvious choice is NH48via Shiradi.
Old 13th April 2011, 19:10   #3229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
planning to do Bangalore-Mangalore-Bangalore over the weekend, need to know should I use NH48 Shiradi ghat or use the Madikeri route.
NH48 Shiradi ghat route is smooth. Throughout. great drive for the time being. doable in under 6 hours !

Madikeri - Sulya Sampaje ghat is closed for repairs.
Old 13th April 2011, 19:16   #3230
BHPian

Thanks folks, got a bit confused with some updates but now clear would update road condition once back from the trip for the benefit of others.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:01   #3231
BHPian

Folks, I have to travel Byndoor today due to family bereavement. Can anyone suggest me a good route from Bangalore? I will be travelling with 2 Kids + my wife. Any immediate response would be really helpful.

Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 11:42   #3232
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO you have 3 options:
1. Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Rippanpet-Kollur-Baindoor
Uto Shimoga, the road is good, but I don't know the present road conditions between Shimoga and Baindoor. the total distance is around 440 kms

2. Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Agumbe-Udupi-Baindoor
Again the present condition between Tirthahalli and Udupi is not known to me. remaining roads are good. Total distance around 460kms

3. Bangalore-Hassan-Managalore-Udupi-Baindoor
Not been to Mangalore off-late but everyone here have been telling that the shiradi ghat is good. So the total distance of this route must be good.
This will be around 470kms

Hope this helps.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 15th April 2011 at 11:48.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:43   #3233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
IMO you have 3 options:
4th option perhaps is:
Bangalore-Shiradi-Dharmasthal-Karakala-Udupi-Baindoor.

I casually checked in google maps, the distance b/w Bangalore-Udupi with several options and this is what I got

1. Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi - 409kms
2. Bangalore-Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Karakala-Udupi - 404kms
3. Bangalore-Charmadi-Karkala-Udupi - 403kms

Is Google right with the distances? I had assumed the difference b/w #1 and #2 to be much higher, by about 50kms, and b/w #2 and #3 to be about 20kms. Appears I was wrong. Any inputs from people do this route regularly?

Prasad
Old 17th April 2011, 11:30   #3234
MCR
BHPian

NH48 is a bliss to drive on. Thanks to the recent road work. I left Gudya yesterday evening at 6.30PM and reached Mysore at 10.00PM, right on time for the Re-run of the F1 qualifying. Thats 3.30 hours for a distance of 200 Kms. I covered the ghat section of 33 kms in 37 minutes.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:26   #3235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
4th option perhaps is:

2. Bangalore-Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Karakala-Udupi - 404kms

Prasad
I am planning this route for may 2nd. Any updates on how the Dharmasthala to Udupi route is? Potholes? craters? Or is it simply smooth sailing?
Old 18th April 2011, 14:08   #3236
BHPian

Things happen really fast sometimes. Planned a trip to Mangalore on Thursday with a friend. He suggested that we take my car as it would be easier to roam around in Mangalore. This would be the second time I would be driving to Mangalore, I was skeptical as usual, but more so this time because my friend was not a good driver that means, I would have to do all the driving. Logged on to Tbhp to understand the route conditions. The recommendations was clear Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpura-Mangalore.

Friday: My only worry was I had stock headlamps in my Swift, there is no fog lamps either (Ldi, why did I listen to my dad... errr) My previous trip was very cautious due to poor lights and bad roads. This time I didn’t want that. Spoke to the service engineer from Mandovi and asked him about recommended bulbs. He suggested Hella/ Philips, said approx. cost would be INR 1200. So left from work early drove to a place near my house. Got Hella 130/100 bulbs fitted to my car, That along with relay worked out at INR 1100. Ensured that no wires were cut.

Then there was the downpour, soon enough I knew that this one is going to be a wet drive! Started a little late than planned, it was 7 ‘ish went we started, didn’t want to go through Bangalore traffic. I live in HSR, so took the Ecity flyover, did a small round of ecity and exited out of Phase 1 entrance, got on to NICE road and drove till Nelmangala. This added about 20kms to the trip and costed me additional INR 155 in toll fees. But saved me time and frustration of driving throught weekend traffic.

I had touch NH 48 at 9:30PM after dinner. It was drizzing all night and traffic was very less. Had the highway to myself! Roads are very good, need to watch out for the odd bumps in the road and diversions though. Saw the standard scenes of overturned lorry in Shiradi Ghat, along with tippers that have run off the road. One sad accident I saw early on was of a grey Swift which was hit by a truck( I guess) in the opposite direction. The swift had a broken axle on the right side with damages. Over all very pleasant drive, I guess the odd timing helped me as there was very less traffic. Reached Mangalore at 4’ ish including 2 hour break, around 7 hours drive time in the rain.
Return on the other hand was hectic, I took the same route but this time started at 4:30PM from Mangalore. There was too much traffic through out, the ghat was crowded with tippers and oil tankers. Lots of private vehicles too. Traffic eased up only when Bangalore was 80 – 90 kms away. I reach Bangalore at 10:30PM, only one break for dinner of half hour.

Recommed the route to all, enjoy it while it lasts!
Old 19th April 2011, 12:06   #3237
BHPian

Hi,
Went to Mangalore over the weekend. Took the KSRTC Airavat (Volvo). Left Majestic Bus stand at 10.45PM and reached Mangalore at 5.15AM. That translates to 6.5 Hrs flat together with a 15min stop at Channarayapatna Bus stand. The driver's overtaking maneuvers would put to shame a lot of us. But a lot of credit must go to the makers ie. Volvo for making such a brilliant bus with its amazing power.

On the way back the bus left at 10.00PM and reached Majestic at 5.00AM. The bus journey was really smooth. Didnt feel the usual rocking of the bus which is common in the ghat section, inspite of being seated at the last few rows of the bus. Looks like the section has largely improved. I noticed that the BC Road to Mlore stretch is still not completed, in a lot of places the doubling of the road is not complete and you have no choice but use the same side as the oncoming traffic which can be troublesome at night especially.

One negative wrt the Volvo that I must mention is the lack of leg space for people over 5' 9'', especially since the passengers in front would like to bring the seat all the way to the back. This hardly leaves any leg space, leaving no choice but to keep one leg on the aisle so as stretch one leg atleast.

-Varun
Old 19th April 2011, 14:59   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
IMO you have 3 options:
1. Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Rippanpet-Kollur-Baindoor
Uto Shimoga, the road is good, but I don't know the present road conditions between Shimoga and Baindoor. the total distance is around 440 kms

Thanks.. I just returned last night from the trip. While going i took your route and found it to be useful to reach Byndoor. I started around 1PM and reached Byndoor by 10.30PM with 4-5 stops of 20 mins each. Road condition is OK till Byndoor. Byndoor to Udupi condition is good, they haven't started the four lane works after Kundapur though.

While coming back, i took Mangalore - Shiradi - Haasan - Kunigal - Neelamangala route. Udupi - Mangalore has become horrible to drive and it took almost 1.45 mins to reach Mangalore because of lot of traffic and road works. After Mangalore roads are good. One question, Is Kunigal bye-pass opened for traffic? I could see some cars plying around though there was a barrier.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:03   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Thanks.. I just returned last night from the trip. While going i took your route and found it to be useful to reach Byndoor. I started around 1PM and reached Byndoor by 10.30PM with 4-5 stops of 20 mins each. Road condition is OK till Byndoor. Byndoor to Udupi condition is good, they haven't started the four lane works after Kundapur though.

While coming back, i took Mangalore - Shiradi - Haasan - Kunigal - Neelamangala route. Udupi - Mangalore has become horrible to drive and it took almost 1.45 mins to reach Mangalore because of lot of traffic and road works. After Mangalore roads are good. One question, Is Kunigal bye-pass opened for traffic? I could see some cars plying around though there was a barrier.
Yes, kunigal by-pass is open. I travelled on 16th through the stretch.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:24   #3240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Yes, kunigal by-pass is open. I travelled on 16th through the stretch.
Wow thats the great news, Kunigal bypass should easily save 15-20 mins journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks