Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 14:22   #3301
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
This road is good, barring a few rough patches. But be prepared to encounter a lot a lot of truck traffic after Dharmasthala. The traffic after Karkala is very less.
Thanks MCR, I need a little bit more guidance.

Which route should I take, for a faster and more comfortable journey?

Should I take the below route? If yes, then from Karkala to Manipal, should I take the blue route or the red-arrows route?

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic.jpg

Or should I the ditch this dharmasthala-karkala route in favour of Mangalore-Udupi route?

I would driving in those places for the first time, hence asking.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:36   #3302
Team-BHP Support

Cuboid, the blue route is perfect. The Gundya-Mangalore-Manipal route has lots of traffic, especially trucks. The Gundya-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Manipal has sparse traffic. Don't even bother with the red arrow route. I travel between Bangalore-Manipal very regularly, and the blue route is in very good shape as of now.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 14:43   #3303
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
Thanks MCR, I need a little bit more guidance.

Which route should I take, for a faster and more comfortable journey?

Should I take the below route? If yes, then from Karkala to Manipal, should I take the blue route or the red-arrows route?

Or should I the ditch this dharmasthala-karkala route in favour of Mangalore-Udupi route?

I would driving in those places for the first time, hence asking.
Take the blue colour route. This is a state Higway.
The Mangalore - Udupi route is longer and also more strenous, thanks to the menace of private buses and road diversions. Take this route only if you want to goto Mangalore or want to drive on NH17.

I am sure you would enjoy the calm and serenity of the Dharmasthala - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi route. In case of doubts once on this road, just ask the people around and they will be more than helpful in guiding you.

Last edited by MCR : 5th May 2011 at 14:44.
Old 5th May 2011, 15:24   #3304
BHPian

Guys any idea on the road conditions between Bangalore and Hassan. I am planning to drive to Chikmagalur in a week or two. Kind of curious to know specially after the rains
Old 5th May 2011, 15:42   #3305
BHPian

I am driving from Manipal to Bangalore on Sunday in the day and wanted to pick the most scenic route. Was considering driving thru Kudremukh or thru Shringeri.

Have been a regular on these roads for the last 10 years but I'm having a hard time deciding which route to take now since I won't be coming back anytime soon.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:08   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Coming weekend I am going to Kundapur via Shimoga (I have to visit relatives in Shimoga hence Sringeri route isn't taken). Knowing route from Thirthahalli via Hulikal ghats, I will take route via Agumbe. I need your help in following issues.

1) Now I have no idea about route between Thirthahalli and Agumbe. Google maps shows me route via Guddekeri (state highway 1). Is this the route better? Or route suggested by Karthikk is better one?

2) Where to have Breakfast? : I am going to leave Bangalore by 5:15 AM. Considering most members reached Shimoga by 5 hours, where is best place to have a breakfast? In hihway eateries thread Shushrtha suggested Preethi Canteen, are there any other places I should consider? I am inteneded to have Breakfast after 7:15am, so I will most likely cross Tumkur and Arsikeri as well. Can members suggest me decent place for breakfast.

3) I will leave Shimoga by 1:30 ~ 2 pm. I will pick-up wife, son (5 months old) and MIL (55 age). I have to make some stops for snacks in between. Can members suggest good restaurants in Thirthahalli and Hebri? Is there any restaurants in this route which will have clean toilet (I know I am asking for too much)?

4) My return journey is via Mangalore through Shiradi ghats. Again, I will leave Mangalore by 2~2:30 pm. Ideally how much time I should consider for me to reach DG petrol bunk? Is 7~ 8 hours are fare enough time? Considering I would have kid and aged person on board?
Raghu,

For breakfast either try Vinayaka cafe in Kadur or Preeti canteen in Birur. Both are decent and they serve you to car.

In Tirthahalli, eat at Hotel Mayura. We had good Masale Dosey last week there. It is the best in Tirthahalli. It also has toilets.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 16:31   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Guys any idea on the road conditions between Bangalore and Hassan. I am planning to drive to Chikmagalur in a week or two. Kind of curious to know specially after the rains
Roads are excellent from Bangalore to Bellur cross with almost double road complete, with few minor deviations.

Bellur cross to Hassan road is good also, work on double road has started here.

Hassan to chikamagalur is good(Hassan to Belur in top condition).
Old 5th May 2011, 16:40   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Roads are excellent from Bangalore to Bellur cross with almost double road complete, with few minor deviations.

Bellur cross to Hassan road is good also, work on double road has started here.

Hassan to chikamagalur is good(Hassan to Belur in top condition).
Thanks Shamanth for the info. Will help for sure. I did hear that Hassan to Belur was in top condition. I guess it shouldnt take me more than 6 hrs to reach the destination. I would be starting from North Bangalore
Old 5th May 2011, 17:11   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Can you tell where is this bridge, is it before or after Sringeri? I will be driving to Sringeri during 2nd week of May taking the CKM-Balehonnur-Jayapura route, hence would like to be careful when approaching this hump.
The bridge is before Sringeri.
It's almost 15-20kms from Aldur towards Sringeri. The road surface is so uneven if not careful then one will scrape their car's belly.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 18:31   #3310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Thanks Shamanth for the info. Will help for sure. I did hear that Hassan to Belur was in top condition. I guess it shouldnt take me more than 6 hrs to reach the destination. I would be starting from North Bangalore
Thanks to Addy (who helped me), the best way to get on to Belur road is use of Hassan by-pass. Once you hit Hassan by-pass (dont go into Hassan), the first intersect would be the Mysore Road,

Next you see the Gorur road intersection. After this intersection take the next road right. It a bad road, which goes through a railway crossing as well. This ends on the old Bangalore-Mangalore road. Take left, immediately you will see a fork work which says Belur to right.

And you by-passed Hassan.

Mangalore - Bangalore Highway to Belur Road - Google Maps
Old 5th May 2011, 18:37   #3311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks to Addy (who helped me), the best way to get on to Belur road is use of Hassan by-pass. Once you hit Hassan by-pass (dont go into Hassan), the first intersect would be the Mysore Road,

Next you see the Gorur road intersection. After this intersection take the next road right. It a bad road, which goes through a railway crossing as well. This ends on the old Bangalore-Mangalore road. Take left, immediately you will see a fork work which says Belur to right.

Have copy pasted your post for safe reference!. Cheers Ampere
Old 5th May 2011, 19:31   #3312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

. Looking at the pathetic road condition in Hassan town and the options to touch BM road through Mysore Road or Gorur Road Intersections almost forbidden, this option seems viable.

However, this is a gamble most of the times due to the condition of the stretch itself which cannot be predicted (though its hardly half a kilometer).

2 weeks before when I drove to Belur, during my onward trip, the road condition was bad (as ever) but most of the cars can pass through this with utmost caution. The worst that can happen is that one might scrape the underbelly right from the front bumper all the way till the fuel tank in the rear.

During my return trip, I guess there was some marriage/house warming ceremony in one of the houses on this road and people had parked cars/bikes on both sides of this road.

Despite of an almost permanent barricade (on BM road side) and a Huge block (On Bypass side) heavy vehicles, especially KA13 (Hassan), KA46 (Sakleshpur), KA09 (Mysore) and KA12(Madikeri) would enter this road that resulted in a 45 minutes Jam.

No matter whichever way the road is blocked, most of the local trucks from neighbouring districts who frequently pass
Hassan make it to this road and if its bad-luck time like me, then chances are there that you might get stuck here also.

Another advise is to avoid this road when it has rained heavily as is becomes almost non motorable.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th May 2011 at 19:36.
Old 5th May 2011, 20:05   #3313
Team-BHP Support

Well said Parag and thanks for adding that detail.

@LigheteningFast when I said bad road, I think bad was an understatement. Though its all but half a km, it can scratch the underbelly of the car.

As @Parag said, dont take this if it has rained, It would not be motor able,

Then in that case I think a better option would be to go all the way ahead where the by-pass meats the road coming from the town and return back, It would add an extra 4-5km.

@Parag is that the best option?
Old 5th May 2011, 20:55   #3314
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt dare to get inside Hassan city esp during the normal hours, btw this road can get dangerous as huge craters can be found on this road...strictly avoid it at night!

Quote:
Well said Parag and thanks for adding that detail.

@LigheteningFast when I said bad road, I think bad was an understatement. Though its all but half a km, it can scratch the underbelly of the car.

As @Parag said, dont take this if it has rained, It would not be motor able,

Then in that case I think a better option would be to go all the way ahead where the by-pass meats the road coming from the town and return back, It would add an extra 4-5km.

Old 5th May 2011, 21:01   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
The bridge is before Sringeri.
It's almost 15-20kms from Aldur towards Sringeri. The road surface is so uneven if not careful then one will scrape their car's belly.
Thanks Sushrutha, so this is between Aldur and Balehonnur.

Quote:

There are two more right turns after this road, any idea if they are better?

Most Viewed