Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 12:44   #3436
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I travelled to Kukke & Dharma. Left Blr on 14th & came back on 17th. Shiradi is in excellent condition, except for some pot holes in 3-4 curves. I guess, this will become big craters soon, if the patch up work is not done immediately. This road survived so far, because no mining trucks, but every 5-10min you can see tankers. Any one to M'lore, can take shiradi without any hesitation.
Old 19th June 2011, 15:25   #3437
Team-BHP Support

Did my personal best time today. Started from Bangalore at 7:30AM and reached Manipal at 3PM. This included breakfast at Mayura and lunch at Ujire.

The ownership of Shiradi is again in transition. It is getting handed over from humans to dogs again. You can't drive carefree anymore, watch out for surprises. There are 2-3 serious potholes that spring up on unsuspecting drivers.

The Dharmasthala-Karkala road is getting bad really fast.
Old 19th June 2011, 16:07   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

The ownership of Shiradi is again in transition. It is getting handed over from humans to dogs again. You can't drive carefree anymore, watch out for surprises. There are 2-3 serious potholes that spring up on unsuspecting drivers.

Ah.... Like you said in the last season, The art is back again ...!
I am afraid new Sampaje ghat roads might wear out faster, as it would witness more truck traffic due to widened sections.

Last edited by _chikku : 19th June 2011 at 16:08.
Old 19th June 2011, 17:56   #3439
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I like the way you've explained the ownership transfer !
I'm planning to do Bangalore-Mangalore in Aug second week, hope Shiradi by then doesn't become what it was couple of years ago. I will definitely re-check conditions on this thread before I travel.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:11   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
Did Mlr -Blr on saturday night and the return on sunday night. Both ways by bus. Didn't feel a thing, maybe the driver was very good!
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:17   #3441
BHPian

Hi people, I'm looking to do Bangalore to Moodabidri on this Saturday (and back Sunday afternoon). Also want to do a detour to Dharmasthala on either way (Pilgrimage combo!). I understand NH 48 is much improved from earlier (and is probably the most obvious route), but can someone suggest the most comfortable and fun route for my trip among the following options (or another one that I haven't mentioned) and how long it would take me?

1. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Kunigal - Channarayapatnna - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - bantwal - Moodabidri
2. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Kunigal - Channarayapatnna - Hassan - Belur - Kottigehara - Belthangady - Moodabidri
3. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Tumkur - Banavara - Belur - Kottigehara - Belthangady - Moodabidri
4. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Tumkur - Kadur - Chikmagalur - Kottigehara - Belthangady - Moodabidri

As you can probably tell, these are google educated options with some color from this forum and my only experience of venturing in that direction is a trip to CKM'lur over a year ago.

Wife and in-laws would be the passengers so it is imperative the journey is comfortable and enjoyable rather than a chore. I will take my OHC but scope for enthusiasm will be limited given the average age of the passengers

Appreciate any guidance.
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:45   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Hi people, I'm looking to do Bangalore to Moodabidri on this Saturday (and back Sunday afternoon). Also want to do a detour to Dharmasthala on either way (Pilgrimage combo!). I understand NH 48 is much improved from earlier (and is probably the most obvious route), but can someone suggest the most comfortable and fun route for my trip among the following options (or another one that I haven't mentioned) and how long it would take me?

1. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Kunigal - Channarayapatnna - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - bantwal - Moodabidri
2. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Kunigal - Channarayapatnna - Hassan - Belur - Kottigehara - Belthangady - Moodabidri
3. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Tumkur - Banavara - Belur - Kottigehara - Belthangady - Moodabidri
4. Bangalore - Neelamangla - Tumkur - Kadur - Chikmagalur - Kottigehara - Belthangady - Moodabidri

As you can probably tell, these are google educated options with some color from this forum and my only experience of venturing in that direction is a trip to CKM'lur over a year ago.

Wife and in-laws would be the passengers so it is imperative the journey is comfortable and enjoyable rather than a chore. I will take my OHC but scope for enthusiasm will be limited given the average age of the passengers

Appreciate any guidance.
There is another option of Bangalore - N'mangala - Hassan - Shirady - Dharmasthala(Ujire) - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Moodubidre.

Roads are good all the way.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 01:09   #3443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
There is another option of Bangalore - N'mangala - Hassan - Shirady - Dharmasthala(Ujire) - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Moodubidre.
Actually, this is the best option, with least twisters. And Dharmasthala won't be a detour, it is on the way.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 16:23   #3444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Another route is
BLR-Hassan-Mudigere-Kottigehara - Kalasa-Kudremukha - Bajagoli - Mudabidre. Road is good all the way till Kalasa, from thereon not much of idea, This is the most scenic and hell lot of winding nd twisty road amongst the above.
Even via Charmadi at this time is excellent, Monsoon means green green ..n hell lot of Waterfalls in the Charmadi Ghats
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 16:55   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Another route is
BLR-Hassan-Mudigere-Kottigehara - Kalasa-Kudremukha - Bajagoli - Mudabidre. Road is good all the way till Kalasa, from thereon not much of idea, This is the most scenic and hell lot of winding nd twisty road amongst the above.
Even via Charmadi at this time is excellent, Monsoon means green green ..n hell lot of Waterfalls in the Charmadi Ghats
You would encounter a short muddy stretch coz of the landslide near Kudremukh, otherwise roads are good all the way until Moodubidre.
Old 24th June 2011, 22:05   #3446
BHPian

I drove this stretch today. No landslides whatsoever. The drive between kalasa & sringeri via kudremukha is simply unbelievable, much better than charmadi.
Attached Images

Old 27th June 2011, 11:23   #3447
BHPian

Aah !! Super !! If i am right both the snaps is taken near the Goomankhan Estate Tea Shop. Very nice location with Tea gardens on one side and a river on one side.
Old 1st July 2011, 16:41   #3448
BHPian

need to travel from mysore to udupi with parents.
Plan is to start early morning tomorrow.
Could anyone please suggest the best route to take, considering the current road conditions?
Old 1st July 2011, 17:02   #3449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
need to travel from mysore to udupi with parents.
Plan is to start early morning tomorrow.
Could anyone please suggest the best route to take, considering the current road conditions?
Mysore > Hassan > Shiradi > Ujire > Karkala > Udupi would be the best.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 19:45   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Mysore > Hassan > Shiradi > Ujire > Karkala > Udupi would be the best.
Thanks. Any inputs on current condition of shiradi ghats?

How would this route be in terms of road conditions

Mysore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kudremukh - karkala - udupi

Google maps shows up the distance to be similar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks