Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 22:19   #3466
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Just came back from Mangalore today. Good roads all through except in shiradi ghats wherein pot holes are appearing in the turns. Drove mangalore ( ginger hotel) to nelamangala jn in 5.30 hrs
Old 11th July 2011, 20:12   #3467
Senior - BHPian

I had been to hassan on Saturday morning left at 6 AM. The double road is almost complete till bellur cross. And had a pleasent surprise when i reached Hassan Mileage meter was showing 20.5 kmpl. Roads from Yeswathpura till Bellur cross is pleasant to drive, that is showing in mileage also And coming back also when i saw the meter in yeswantpur it was showing 21.4 kmpl ! Speed was normally maintained between 100 to 120 kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img0061a.jpg  

Old 12th July 2011, 12:50   #3468
Team-BHP Support

Is it just me or is there anybody else who misses the old scenic 2-lane highway to Hassan from Bangalore?

Overtaking on the old highway in the night was so much fun - you say a short prayer, stand on the accelerator, move past the fast moving car and swerve in front of it just before the bus having high beam whizzes past you from the opposite direction.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:08   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I had been to hassan on Saturday morning left at 6 AM. The double road is almost complete till bellur cross. And had a pleasent surprise when i reached Hassan Mileage meter was showing 20.5 kmpl. Roads from Yeswathpura till Bellur cross is pleasant to drive, that is showing in mileage also And coming back also when i saw the meter in yeswantpur it was showing 21.4 kmpl ! Speed was normally maintained between 100 to 120 kmph.
How about the kunigal bypass? Has that underpass been completed?
Old 12th July 2011, 13:12   #3470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Is it just me or is there anybody else who misses the old scenic 2-lane highway to Hassan from Bangalore?

Overtaking on the old highway in the night was so much fun - you say a short prayer, stand on the accelerator, move past the fast moving car and swerve in front of it just before the bus having high beam whizzes past you from the opposite direction.
You've got one more in that club here, me!!! I really miss the old tree lined highway. Although the new 4 lane road makes travel faster, it does not have the charm of the older road.

I still love driving the Hassan-Channarayapatna stretch which has been relaid recently. I guess it is a matter of time before that stretch too becomes a mess because of the construction works.

But, I think the construction of the new road was inevitable, given the amount of traffic these days between Bangalore-Hassan-Mangalore, the old road could not take it anymore. It is a pain to drive back to Bangalore on a Sunday evening. This road too is going the Mysore road way.

Once they finish the Bellur Cross-Hassan stretch, it will be interesting how they plan to widen the Hassan-Sakaleshpur-Shiradi Ghat-BC Road stretch. They would probably have to raze down whole mountains to make the ghats wider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How about the kunigal bypass? Has that underpass been completed?
The underpass is not completed yet. But, the bypass is completely open. No issues. Just watch out for traffic coming on your side of the road.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 12th July 2011 at 13:15.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 13:22   #3471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This stretch was also really irritating when oil tankers would move at 30kmph and there would be a huge pileup of cars behind trying to overtake, with opposite traffic as well. I'm glad they are getting that 6 lane highway now in place
Old 12th July 2011, 13:35   #3472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
You've got one more in that club here, me!!! I really miss the old tree lined highway. Although the new 4 lane road makes travel faster, it does not have the charm of the older road.
Addy, add me to this club. I just loved those old two laned roads. Yes, driving was a pain in peak hours. If one is driving early in the morning, it was a bliss. BH Road is still retaining the charm after Tumkur.

I happenned to take a detour from Gundlupet to Chamarajnagar on my way back from Wayanad a month back. It is a small strectch of 29 KMs laned by well grown ficus trees - planted during Mysore Maharaja times - with their roots hanging over and made a grand spectatacle. At one place, it looked as if we were going thorugh a tunnel of these roots!!
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 15:02   #3473
Senior - BHPian

dude am sure thier are loads of people who miss the good old roads which includes me, when they had started to chop the trees that sight almost made me cry...

it was one of the best roads which i travelled, maybe on bike or car the charm is unexplainable, i will miss and cherish the memories:(

btw anyone has pictures of this road in its good old charm? lets post it here...

Quote:

Old 12th July 2011, 15:50   #3474
BHPian

I drove yesterday from Mangalore... Except for big pot holes on shiradi ghat stretch and highway construction at few places the drive was good.
Sneek peek below..
Surathkal(2:00PM)--BC Road(3:30PM)--Sakleshpur(5:15PM, tea break)--Hassan(6:30PM)--Channarayapatna(7:30PM)--Nelamangala(8:55PM)--Yeshvanthpur(9:15PM)--Electronic city(10:15PM..After dinner parcel)--> Top speed 105Kmph--Average 48kmph--385kms on trip ODO-22.4 kms/l--Bad shiradi Ghat road--heavy rain--Truck/taxi drivers with zero lane dicipline--overall a nice long drive with family :-)
-UB
Old 12th July 2011, 16:05   #3475
BHPian

Add me also to the club of 2 laned highway lovers !! I have been driving on NH-48 since 1998 and have been enjoying the drives from BLR to Hassan & vice versa.

Will certainly try to post some photos of good'ol NH-48 in its pristine glory !!
Old 13th July 2011, 09:11   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Guidance needed - Trip to Mangalore/Udupi

Friends,

We plan to go on a pilgrimage to the following places, between the 12th to the 14th of August 2011.

Family consists of my wife, my son who is 7 years old and I
My parents, both 70+ years

We will drive down from Bangalore and my parents will travel Coimbatore-Mangalore-Coimbatore by train. Tickets already booked both ways.

Some mandatory visits are as below :
1. Kukke Subrahmanya temple
2. Kollur Moogambikai temple
3. Sringeri

Ofcourse, time permitting, we also plan to go to Horanadu Annapoorneshwari temple and to Dharmasthala.

The advice/inputs that will help me plan are
a) Is Mangalore the right place to stay, keep as base and cover the temples ?
b) Any decent hotel names in Mangalore - i can go upto Rs 2K per day per room ( given that i may need to take two rooms )
c) We are pure vegetarians and any names of decent restaurants that serve good Veg food will be nice
d) What route should i cover - i mean, the way i can plan out the temples visit.

All your inputs and advice will really help me and go a long way. Thanks in advance.

Krishna.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 13th July 2011 at 09:12.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:02   #3477
BHPian

Re: Guidance needed - Trip to Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends,

We plan to go on a pilgrimage to the following places, between the 12th to the 14th of August 2011.

Family consists of my wife, my son who is 7 years old and I
My parents, both 70+ years

We will drive down from Bangalore and my parents will travel Coimbatore-Mangalore-Coimbatore by train. Tickets already booked both ways.

Some mandatory visits are as below :
1. Kukke Subrahmanya temple
2. Kollur Moogambikai temple
3. Sringeri

Ofcourse, time permitting, we also plan to go to Horanadu Annapoorneshwari temple and to Dharmasthala.

The advice/inputs that will help me plan are
a) Is Mangalore the right place to stay, keep as base and cover the temples ?
b) Any decent hotel names in Mangalore - i can go upto Rs 2K per day per room ( given that i may need to take two rooms )
c) We are pure vegetarians and any names of decent restaurants that serve good Veg food will be nice
d) What route should i cover - i mean, the way i can plan out the temples visit.

All your inputs and advice will really help me and go a long way. Thanks in advance.

Krishna.
There is thread exists for such quires. You get better help if you post it here.

As far as your query, what is the mode of transport from Mangalore to other places? Also what time train arrives in Mangalore and leaves Mangalore? Is travel is via Own car or taxi hire from Mangalore or public transport?

Assuming own vehicle, I would suggest you to follow either

1) Mangalore -> Kukke(3 hrs) -> Hornadu (Stay) (4Hrs) -> Sringeri (2Hr)-> Kollur (Stay) (3 Hrs)-> Udupi (2 hrs) -> Mangalore (2Hrs).

2) Mangalore -> Kukke(3 Hrs) -> Dharmastala (Stay) (1.5Hrs) -> Hornadu (via charmadi) (2.5 Hrs)-> Sringeri (stay, If can't find suitable accommodation here, Thirthahalli is near by town with good home stay options. Check this thread.) (2Hrs)-> Kollur (3Hrs)-> Udupi (2Hrs)-> Mangalore (2Hrs). Google Map of the route. For option is also smae, but you won't stop at Dharmastala.

Considering this is holiday weekend, there will be rush in almost all places. Suggested travel time are given in bracket for private vehicle. I wouldn't suggest to make Mangalore as base for stay as its adds more and more journey time. Suggest to book along the way. Most places have pure veg hotels hence no issue there.

You can take any directions, I mean either start with Kukke or start with Udupi. As kukke is Mandatory place would be better to start with there. Incase you are getting delayed at any point you can always cut short the trip and return back to Mangalore.

Mods Can you merge the thread with "The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi".

Last edited by RaguHolla : 13th July 2011 at 10:07.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 20:36   #3478
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I am traveling with the following itinerary. Need route info and road conditions.

Traveling Dates : 24-28 July

Planned itinerary:

D1 (24th July)- Bangalore-Hornadu-Sringeri (halt)

D2 (25th July)- Sringeri-Murudeshwar (halt)

D3 (26th July)- Murudeshwar-Gokarna (halt)

D4 (27th July)- Suggestion needed.

D5 (28th July)- Suggestion needed. (Return to Bangy by evening at all cost)

The plan is not freezed and it can be changed. Only criteria being Murudeshwar and Gokarna is a must.

Detailed planning can be found on page two of :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...a-route-2.html
Old 19th July 2011, 10:22   #3479
Senior - BHPian

FOlks last 4-5days its been raining heavily in this region, charmadi has landslides.
so people who plan to travel in next couple of days check the conditions, also the train service is disrupted...
Old 19th July 2011, 10:34   #3480
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday my office folks in Manipal told me that schools are closed due to rains. That should give some idea how heavy the rains are, and my mom told me it feels like sky and earth has become one during the rains they are getting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks