Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 11:20   #3496
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@rajshenoy, @Samurai, @msdivy - Thanks for the valuable information !
I did not want to make it a trip for temple visits alone so Bekal fort seems like a good option. Any other places ?

And which is the route you suggest - Via Shiradi ?

I know Mangalore is not the right place to stay if I want to visit lot of places but had to take the 3 day stay at the hotel in Mangalore to avail of some coupons/offer that I got conned into buying a while ago

This will be my first drive to Mangalore. I hope this will serve as a pilot trip so I can plan better on my next one.
Yes. As you are planning to visit places more towards the north, staying in Mangalore is not a good idea. If you plan to visit Bekal fort then on the way back you can take a short break at Someshwar beach (ullal)

Also it would be a good idea to have a stopover at Surathkal beach. This is one of the clean beaches in that stretch unlike Thannirbavi beach which is now highly commercialized and dirtied.
Light house and rocky landscape makes this beach a good scenic spot. There is also an old temple on the hill top. Sea is really deep in this area and swimming in this season should be strictly avoided. Have a nice trip to Mangalore.

Here are some pictures of the Surathkal beach recently snapped (Before the downpour.)

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0838.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0843.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0851.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0845.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0848.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0853.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0861.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_0873.jpg

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 21:44   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Traveled from Bangalore to Managlore on last Sunday and came back today. Took the Shiradi ghat route both times. Like others have noted, potholes have started to appear on some parts of the road and there is some loose gravel in some areas. Overall, still a good route to take and is holding up so far. I took 7.5 hours each way (door to door) from BTM layout in Bangalore to Gateway hotel in Mangalore and back with a couple of breaks in between.
Old 29th July 2011, 22:56   #3498
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know whether night driving is allowed in Kudremukh ghat? I know there are forest officials taking down names and checking during day time. Does it get worse in the night? I may have to drive back from Kalasa to Manipal after dark.

I can deal with fog, have the right kind of lights.
Old 30th July 2011, 00:28   #3499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does anyone know whether night driving is allowed in Kudremukh ghat? I know there are forest officials taking down names and checking during day time. Does it get worse in the night? I may have to drive back from Kalasa to Manipal after dark.

AFAIK, it is allowed. I have my relatives in Kalasa, who do this stretch day n nite.
Old 30th July 2011, 13:47   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, night driving is allowed. I confirmed this during my trip there in early July. I don't think they take down any names or any checking. The checkpost issues a temporary pass to pass through the National Park area which will be collected by another checkpost while exiting. No money is to be paid for this pass.

The pass will have the entry time and you will have 2 hrs (IIRC) from that entry time to reach the other end. If you exceed the 2 hrs, you will be penalized (that's what it says on the pass)
Old 31st July 2011, 02:39   #3501
Team-BHP Support

Today I traveled to Belthangady. Then did Belthangady-Kalasa in just 40Kms. Then returned via Kudremukh ghat. Thanks for the tip JMaruru and addyhemmige.

BTW, Kudremukh ghat is in pristine condition. Just like a summer time road.

Edit: I already got a SMS enquiry regarding the Beltangady-Kalsa road. Let me just clarify that it was a offroad trail, that can be be only attempted by hardcore offroaders. Even Jagat Nanjappa got his axle sunk below the ground.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st July 2011 at 14:50.
Old 1st August 2011, 08:18   #3502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@rajshenoy, @Samurai, @msdivy - Thanks for the valuable information !
I did not want to make it a trip for temple visits alone so Bekal fort seems like a good option. Any other places ?

And which is the route you suggest - Via Shiradi ?

I know Mangalore is not the right place to stay if I want to visit lot of places but had to take the 3 day stay at the hotel in Mangalore to avail of some coupons/offer that I got conned into buying a while ago

This will be my first drive to Mangalore. I hope this will serve as a pilot trip so I can plan better on my next one.
My two cents to what rajesh and Samurai has already written

a) You can not swim/play in sea now. It will be rough and dangerous. Most drowning happens between Aug - Sep. Enjoy the sea and laze around on the beach. Wet your feet.

b) Yes, you should drive down to Bekal. It will be awesome sight with monsoon clouds hovering on top!!

c) Apart from visiting temples like Kateel and Udupi, you should make a trip to Kaup. The light house in a deserted beach during this time will make a great view. I am not sure you will be able to go to St Mary's islands during this time as sea will be rough. Check it out.

d) Enjoy some good Mangalore cuisine. Shetty lunch home in Kundapur is a must if you are driving to Maravanthe. Samurai/Rajesh can suggest some other good places in Mangalore!! In Udupi have Goli Bajji and Masale dosey in Mitra samaj and Fried idlis and Gadbad Ice cream in Diana
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 08:58   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
Then did Belthangady-Kalasa in just 40Kms.

that it was a offroad trail, that can be be only attempted by hardcore offroaders.
was it through didupe village and yelneer ghat / surrounding villages ? and joins at samse ?

Walking up the ghat against the thundering netravati is a treat to experience !

Please post some photographs of the offroad trail.
Old 1st August 2011, 09:08   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
c) Apart from visiting temples like Kateel and Udupi, you should make a trip to Kaup. The light house in a deserted beach during this time will make a great view. I am not sure you will be able to go to St Mary's islands during this time as sea will be rough. Check it out.
St. Mary's islands will be off until mid of September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
d) Enjoy some good Mangalore cuisine. Shetty lunch home in Kundapur is a must if you are driving to Maravanthe. Samurai/Rajesh can suggest some other good places in Mangalore!! In Udupi have Goli Bajji and Masale dosey in Mitra samaj and Fried idlis and Gadbad Ice cream in Diana
You can also check out, King's Court of Brahmavar.
Old 1st August 2011, 09:19   #3505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
was it through didupe village and yelneer ghat / surrounding villages ? and joins at samse ?
Exactly, the route through the reserve forest was made by about thousand villagers in 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
You can also check out, King's Court of Brahmavar.
Check this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post2353392 (A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal)
Old 1st August 2011, 09:31   #3506
BHPian

Re: Kings?

Are King's Court and King's Garden, 2 different restaurants in Brahmavar? I remember it as King's Court.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:33   #3507
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are King's Court and King's Garden, 2 different restaurants in Brahmavar? I remember it as King's Court.
Actually I don't remember that well, you could be right though. It is the one next Dharmavara wedding hall.
Old 1st August 2011, 17:16   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, the route through the reserve forest was made by about thousand villagers in 3 days.
Was this done recently? I had heard about this route sometime, not did not have any info.
Old 1st August 2011, 17:46   #3509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Was this done recently? I had heard about this route sometime, not did not have any info.
Two years back, it was made by villagers since the forest department was not approving a plan to create the road. The villagers had to take a very round about road. So they formed a 1000 people strong mob, marched into the forest and made the road. Both police and forest officials were helpless against that number. I hear it got politically too hot for officials to take any action. Now it is accepted as Kuchha road for local use, only 4x4 can take this road though. Too narrow for SUVs I feel.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 18:01   #3510
BHPian

Quote:
Two years back, it was made by villagers since the forest department was not approving a plan to create the road. The villagers had to take a very round about road. So they formed a 1000 people strong mob, marched into the forest and made the road. Both police and forest officials were helpless against that number. I hear it got politically too hot for officials to take any action. Now it is accepted as Kuchha road for local use, only 4x4 can take this road though. Too narrow for SUVs I feel.
How to approach this road, on both the ends? I mean, belthangady and samse.

Most Viewed