Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 09:30   #3526
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
Last I heard buses were still taking the Madikeri route? Also wondering in terms of rain damage on the Shiradi ghat route.
When did you hear that ? that might be the case last year. but roads were drivable atleast couple of weeks ago.. I sincerely hope our road quality wont degrade so fast!!

Anyone with latest updates ? if not i guess i need to dirty my hands and post an update once i reach
Old 9th August 2011, 09:55   #3527
Team-BHP Support

Hey, I came via Shiradi just this Saturday, it is only gravel now. I wouldn't say it is so bad as to avoid it entirely.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:31   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hey, I came via Shiradi just this Saturday, it is only gravel now. I wouldn't say it is so bad as to avoid it entirely.
That sounds optimistic. how long is this bad stretch.. 10km, 20 or more ? i will take the diversion towards ujire to avoid uppinangadi-bcroad-mangalore to save some time.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:41   #3529
Senior - BHPian

I just did a Bangalore-Udupi run this weekend. Went to Udupi via Dharmasthala-Karkala on Saturday and came back via Mangalore-Uppinangadi on Sunday.

Any way you look at it, the roads in the ghat sections are in bad shape when compared to what it was in May.

Shiradi is reduced to gravel, and in some places there is loose gravel over a fairly solid base. This feels like driving over marbles, so be careful. It is not really that bad, but remember that you will need to "baby" your car through.

In all other places, if the road surface is smooth, watch out for the stray pot hole. Some of them are really BIG.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:56   #3530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I just did a Bangalore-Udupi run this weekend. Went to Udupi via Dharmasthala-Karkala on Saturday and came back via Mangalore-Uppinangadi on Sunday.

Any way you look at it, the roads in the ghat sections are in bad shape when compared to what it was in May.

Shiradi is reduced to gravel, and in some places there is loose gravel over a fairly solid base. This feels like driving over marbles, so be careful. It is not really that bad, but remember that you will need to "baby" your car through.

In all other places, if the road surface is smooth, watch out for the stray pot hole. Some of them are really BIG.
Thanks KiloAlpha, is this only limited to shiradi ? any other places to watch out for ?

In may Ghats were almost back to good old pre-mining days. but even now, if it is better than like 2 yrs back i am ok.

How is the stretch near kunigal ? is the 4 laning smooth ?
Old 9th August 2011, 11:10   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thanks KiloAlpha, is this only limited to shiradi ? any other places to watch out for ?

In may Ghats were almost back to good old pre-mining days. but even now, if it is better than like 2 yrs back i am ok.

How is the stretch near kunigal ? is the 4 laning smooth ?
4-laning is complete until almost Hirisave, which is a little before Channarayapatna. The Kunigal bypass is now operational. Watch out for unmarked speedbreakers though, and there are now only 2 diversions for unfinished 4-laning. The road until Hassan is in good shape, I reached there from Koramangala in 3 hours flat (I left home at 5am, drove through the city).

Apart from Shiradi, there are 2 or 3 places where the road has deteriorated approaching Sakleshpur. Past Sakleshpur, until you reach BC Road, you can expect some level of deterioration on every sharp/deep curve. Usually, in the middle of the road, where the vehicles put more load on the road surface.
Old 9th August 2011, 16:10   #3532
Senior - BHPian

Few doubts before i hit the road

1. Is it worth taking kunigal bypass, especially since i am starting early from bangalore(hitting kunigal around 7) ? from the maps it looks like roundabout.
2. How is the condition of hassan bypass ?
3. what is the fastest way to reach nelamangala(Will yeshwantpur-nelamangala elevated road be open at 5 o clock ?)

Also is there any other confusion/unmarked diversion on the way between Bangalore hassan ?

Last edited by rajshenoy : 9th August 2011 at 16:12.
Old 9th August 2011, 16:36   #3533
Team-BHP Support

How much of a roundabout is Kunigal bypass?

Old 9th August 2011, 16:40   #3534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Few doubts before i hit the road

1. Is it worth taking kunigal bypass, especially since i am starting early from bangalore(hitting kunigal around 7) ? from the maps it looks like roundabout.
2. How is the condition of hassan bypass ?
3. what is the fastest way to reach nelamangala(Will yeshwantpur-nelamangala elevated road be open at 5 o clock ?)

Also is there any other confusion/unmarked diversion on the way between Bangalore hassan ?
1. Yes, taking the bypass is worth it. There is absolutely no local traffic (as there are no intersecting roads). The road is newly laid, but watch out for boulders dumped on the side of the road. The road going through Kunigal is pretty bad and pothole ridden. EDIT: I agree with Samurai. It is not much of a roundabout taking the bypass. Probably 1 or 2 kms longer at max.

2. It is in good shape, no problems.

3. From where? The elevated road is open round the clock and if you are coming through the city, this is the best route.

Watch out for diversions after Bellur Cross and Hirisave as construction work has picked up pace.

There is another unfinished patch somewhere before Kunigal (IIRC) where there are a couple of unmarked humps, so please keep an eye out for that.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 9th August 2011 at 16:44. Reason: Added comment
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 09:56   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Planning to drive to Udupi this weekend. I have always gone by Dharmasthala - Karkada whenever I took Shiradi.

@KiloAlpha, which road do you suggest now? Via Dharmasthala or via Mangalore?
Old 10th August 2011, 10:39   #3536

Planning to go to Mangalore . . . How is the road between Hassan and Mangalore ?
Is the Shiradi road motorable for a small car ?
Old 10th August 2011, 21:35   #3537
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be traveling to Mangalore (from Bangalore) on Saturday Aug 13, returning on Aug 15.
Need your suggestions/updates for:
1. Anything to watch out for? Plan to take this route:
Nelamangala - Kunigal (bypass ?) - Channarayaptna - Hassan - Sakleshpura - Shiradi - Uppinangadi - BC Road - Mangalore.
2. I stay near Indiranagar so which route would you suggest to get to NH4 (I will start before 5.30am so was thinking I will drive through the city and onto NH4 either via IISC/yeshwanthpur or via malleshwaram 17th cross/Sheraton hotel side, which is better or is there any other route you suggest?)
3. Will be going towards Nelamagala, Kunigal after 4 years (elevated toll way, widened NH48 are new now), would really help if you could give me current landmarks/approx. distances for:
i)the left turn before Nelamangala
ii)the turn near Hassan to go towards Sakleshpura (will be going in this route first time)
iii)the route after Shiradi ghats (landmarks for important turns)
iv)and any other places where signages are bad/confusing
4. Is there any other alternative route (with good roads) that I can try on my return journey ?

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2011 at 21:40.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:21   #3538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I will be traveling to Mangalore (from Bangalore) on Saturday Aug 13, returning on Aug 15.
Nelamangala - Kunigal (bypass ?) - Channarayaptna - Hassan - Sakleshpura - Shiradi - Uppinangadi - BC Road - Mangalore.
2. I stay near Indiranagar so which route would you suggest to get to NH4 (I will start before 5.30am so was thinking I will drive through the city and onto NH4 either via IISC/yeshwanthpur or via malleshwaram 17th cross/Sheraton hotel side, which is better or is there any other route you suggest?)
3. Will be going towards Nelamagala, Kunigal after 4 years (elevated toll way, widened NH48 are new now), would really help if you could give me current landmarks/approx. distances for:
ii)the turn near Hassan to go towards Sakleshpura (will be going in this route first time)
4. Is there any other alternative route (with good roads) that I can try on my return journey ?
NPV,

1. Don't have any doubts on Kunigal bye pass. Just do it. It is excellent.

2. Drive through city and hit NH4. Alternately, you can do Mekhri circle - New BEL road - BEL circle - Ring road and then NH4.

3. Elevated road is well siganged. First you will see sigange for Nelamangala. Dont turn there. After that you will see prominent signage for Mangalore. Take that turn.

4. Take Hassan bye pass towards Sakleshpur. Excellent condition. Well signaged.

5. Through out, NH48 has good siganges and don't have to worry. Parts of Shiradi which were laid last year seems to have loosened up. take care of those spots.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 10:28   #3539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. The route you are planning to take is fine. No issues but you need to be careful in the Shiradi ghat

2. Driving through the city is better at that hour. You can take either of the two routes. There might be some traffic at Goraguntepalya (where the ORR meets NH4) as there is Metro construction work going on. This is just before the elevated road. Just after you cross the metro work area, keep to your right and you will enter the elevated road.

i) The turn at Nelamangala is easy to miss. Just keep an eye out for boards showing left turn to Mangalore. The exit from the toll road is a narrow opening on your left. I'm not sure of the distances though.

ii) There is no turn required to go to Sakaleshpura. Just follow the NH 48 and it will take you directly there. Hassan has a bypass and there is no confusion unless you want to go into the city. I'm not sure if the signboards at the junction are still there. If they are not there, just keep going straight on the highway.

iii) After Shiradi ghats? I'll leave this part for others to answer as I'm not able to recollect landmarks. But, there should be no confusion at all, as it is a straightforward route to Mangalore.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 10:49   #3540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
iii) After Shiradi ghats? I'll leave this part for others to answer as I'm not able to recollect landmarks. But, there should be no confusion at all, as it is a straightforward route to Mangalore.
Once you pass BC Road, the road is 4-lane. There is a Rs.5/- toll to pay. As you approach Mangalore, in order to enter the city, you need to bear left after the VW dealer. The 4-lane stretch continues towards Mangalore port.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 11th August 2011 at 10:50. Reason: Clarity
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks