Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 21:40   #3586
Team-BHP Support

Bisle is 10 times worse than Shiradi. I would not take my GV right now. Took me 1.5 hours today, only one bus passed me, nothing else.
Old 26th August 2011, 22:40   #3587
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

What would be the best route from Mangalore Central Railway Station to Kollur? How is the overall route conditions and on specific stretches in this route? I know that there are multiple diversion from NH-17 beyond Kundapur to Kollur and seek advice on which would be the best one to take considering the road conditions? And what are the good places to stop en-route without deviating from NH for a food break? Please provide exact landmarks as this is for a novice on this route.

Please provide same information regarding Kollur->Bangalore route as well considering the latest status, both road conditions on each stretch and good places to break for food.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:26   #3588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Please provide same information regarding Kollur->Bangalore route as well considering the latest status, both road conditions on each stretch and good places to break for food.
I am not sure about Mangalore to Kollur road condition. However, you can come from Kollur to Bangalore via Nittur -Tirthahalli - Shivamogga. The road conditions are good.
Old 27th August 2011, 00:11   #3589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What would be the best route from Mangalore Central Railway Station to Kollur? How is the overall route conditions and on specific stretches in this route? I know that there are multiple diversion from NH-17 beyond Kundapur to Kollur and seek advice on which would be the best one to take considering the road conditions? And what are the good places to stop en-route without deviating from NH for a food break? Please provide exact landmarks as this is for a novice on this route.

If you plan to use train till Mangalore, then it would be good to take the train till Udupi
(If using the Konkan line) Mangalore-Udupi NH17 is getting 4Laned and hence may have many diversions.

Udupi-Kollur is about 90km. The deviation from NH17 is at Kundapur. Road is very decent all the way.
Old 27th August 2011, 01:11   #3590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Bisle is 10 times worse than Shiradi. I would not take my GV right now. Took me 1.5 hours today, only one bus passed me, nothing else.
How was the road between Koodu Raste and Shanivarasante?
Old 27th August 2011, 16:53   #3591
BHPian

I will be travelling from Bangalore to Mangalore on 30th Aug 2011. How is the road condition from Gundya check post to Mangalore? Normally the road in this stretch gets bad on most of the curves during the monsoons. Request Team-BHP'ians who have recently travelling on this route to give this information.
Old 27th August 2011, 22:38   #3592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After passing Kundapur town and continuing north on NH17 for about 4 kms, you'll find a road going to the right with marking for Kollur. Do not take this road, instead continue for another 3 kms, and you'll see another road towards the right marked as the way to Kollur. This is a much better route, and is the recommended one. Sorry I don't remember the name of the place where you need to take the turn, but it's about 7 kms from Kundapur.

For Kollur-Bangalore the route I have always taken is Kollur-Nittur-Nagara-Hosanagara-Ripponpet-Ayanur-Shimoga-Tumkur-Bangalore. The road upto Ayanur is generally patchy with occasional bad stretches, but has never been as bad as the roads in Kodagu. Since Fauji mentioned that Nittur-Thirthahalli-Shimoga has better roads, I think that may be worth a try. I'm not very sure where the deviation to Thirthahalli is, Google maps shows 2 options to get there from Nittur- one being taking a right at the T junction just before you reach Nagara Fort (where you need to take a left turn to go to Hosanagara), and the other one a right turn about 4-5 kms after crossing Nagara on the way to Hosanagara. Can you please clarify - Fauji ?

And if you're travelling by train till Mangalore, you could consider continuing till Kundapura by train (Ampere had suggested going till Udupi). Even the Udupi-Kundapur stretch of NH17 can be dicey at times with lots of crazy private bus traffic (I haven't travelled that way for over a year, so no idea about current road conditions)
Old 28th August 2011, 01:22   #3593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
And if you're travelling by train till Mangalore, you could consider continuing till Kundapura by train (Ampere had suggested going till Udupi). Even the Udupi-Kundapur stretch of NH17 can be dicey at times with lots of crazy private bus traffic (I haven't travelled that way for over a year, so no idea about current road conditions)
That is true. But the only reason I had suggested was because, you may get more buses would start from Udupi.
Hence getting eats are easier.

Also making Udupi as a base adds another temple to visit easily!
Old 28th August 2011, 19:30   #3594
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Even i forgot the name of the place where i took a train to Kollur after crossig Kundapur.

From Mangalore railway station ( where i picked up my parents ), i could see several private buses from the station to Kollur. Similarly, at Kollur, I could count several buses towards Mangalore railway station. Ofcourse, all these pass through Udipi only.
Old 28th August 2011, 20:14   #3595
Team-BHP Support

Are you guys are thinking of Tallur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
How was the road between Koodu Raste and Shanivarasante?
Quite average, actually.

I came back on Shiradi. My route was Sanivarsante-Yesalur-Kerodi-Maglu-Nidigere-Sukrawara Sante-Hulahalli-Donigal to reach Shiradi. This is really lot faster than Bisle, even if a little longer.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 08:46   #3596
BHPian

Anyone has updated information on roads between Thirthahalli & Agumbe? On summer roads had lots of pot hole, but getting filled. I am travelling Kundapur, would prefer to go via shimoga -> Thirthahalli -> agumbe -> Someshwar -> Haladi -> Basrur road. Not going to choose Thirthahalli -> Hosangdi -> Siddapura road, as roads have gone!

Thanks.

@kala: First cross is Tallur Cross, second one is Gangolli by pass. Yes, this is always better road to take!
Old 29th August 2011, 12:16   #3597

Bangalore - Shimoga roads are in good condition except for some minor patches [These will go unnoticed]. Shimoga - Tirthahalli is very smooth drive. Past Tirthahalli close to Agumbe the road is pretty worse. Ghat section is not that great. Because of the mist visibility is poor even during the day times. I am told that the diversion which you take to Hosangadi after Tirthahalli should be good. If anyone wants to pass nearby Udupi then be careful. Roads are very bad when you approach Udupi. Udupi to Mangalore is quite smooth. There are diversions at several points but managable.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:06   #3598
BHPian

Hey Guys! Interesting thread and most informative.

After reading through the last 6-8 pages I am given to believe that the best route to take is the direct route from Bangalore -> Neelmangala -> Hassan -> Shiradi (the bad one) -> Mangalore.

I am driving down and I have a Civic (low GC will be a major issue for me). With that in mind is the best route to Mangalore the above one? Distance is not too much of a problem. I am willing to do an extra 70-80kms to save the damage. Please do let me know! I leave tomorrow!
Old 29th August 2011, 14:55   #3599
BHPian

Sorry for piling on:

The other alternative route that is under consideration is

Bangalore -> Hassan -> Charmadi -> Bantwal -> Mangalore.

Given my ride and time of year (rains would have impacted the road conditions and judging by what I hear the impact could be enormous) which of the two routes above is advisable? Also would be great if someone could share their views on the scenic beauty of the respecitive routes
Old 29th August 2011, 16:06   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Also would be great if someone could share their views on the scenic beauty of the respecitive routes
Trust me both the ghat roads are very scenic and when it rains, you will see numerous waterfalls flowing right until the roads

But you wont be able to take your eyes off the scenic potholes on the roads, so scenic beauty is only meant for those who are with you.

I dont think Shiradi is a good option for a low GC and long wheelbase of Civic,

but then i hardly hit the bottom of my swift anywhere throughout(if that gives you confidence somehow)

I saw 800, omni on the ghat, but they all have pretty small wheelbase isnt it ?

I had asked couple of cabbies on my return journey and they said Charmadi was decent(but then they drive the jeep, so i decided to come back via shiradi itself)
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks