Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 20:32   #3661
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hello all, I'm planning a B'lore - Manipal (Udupi) drive next weekend.

Which is the best route to take considering the monsoons? Any updates on the road condition?
Shiradi still is the best bet though the 30Km ghat section is bad. Pray for a rainless day since it makes the Shiradi stretch even more treacherous when it rains.
Otherwise rest of NH48 is good (see my earlier posts of my Aug 15 weekend trip for more details and route log) - on Page 240 Post #3600.
Here's my Mangalore - Udupi log:
Mangalore-Udupi (Aug 14):
10 am - 399 Km - Hotel Poonja Intl.
11 am - 460 Km - Udupi
Several diversions on NH17, bad in some stretches. Incomplete work in many places, work in progress at some places (due to monsoons ?). Also in some places seemed to be abandoned (hope it's not litigation, etc)
NH17 Road work in progress near the arch (the entrance to udupi temple town) so need to go ahead 3Km or so and make a right turn at the signal.

Last edited by NPV : 16th September 2011 at 20:48. Reason: Adding Mlr-Udupi log
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:18   #3662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Planning to leave Panjim by 6am to give me enough of buffer to drive in daylight at a careful pace.
Good time to start which will help you to cover Goa stretch before two wheelr traffic hits the road and slow you down considerably.
Old 17th September 2011, 20:54   #3663
BHPian

Driving to Udupi, via Shiradi ghat and Mangalore. Starting from Old Airport Road at 4 am tomorrow.
Old 18th September 2011, 20:19   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Good time to start which will help you to cover Goa stretch before two wheelr traffic hits the road and slow you down considerably.
Yep, back from the drive. Always better to start early and avoid the 2wheeler traffic.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:01   #3665

Quote:
Hello all, I'm planning a B'lore - Manipal (Udupi) drive next weekend.

Which is the best route to take considering the monsoons? Any updates on the road condition?
I did the Bangalore Udupi and back during the 1st week of September 2011 and am yet to post pics of the road conditions. However, the road condition from Bangalore upto Salkeshpur is very good. After Salkeshpur, road condition is bad for about 35-40 kilometers and is good again thereafter.

No big craters in the ghat section but you need to be careful if it rains. My VW Vento had no problems and took the bad stretches with aplomb and on the return journey, I did Mangalore Bangalore in 6.5 hours including a 0.5 hour stopover before Sakleshpur for snacks.

Road between Mangalore Udupi is also good, albeit with diversions. Watch out for the local buses plying between Mangalore and Manipal who will be hurtling at you like Osama's boys aiming the twin tower in a plane
Prashant Shenoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 15:20   #3666
Team-BHP Support

Thank you for the route updates fellas.

When I go by bus, either the bus goes Manipal-Karkala-Hassan... or Manipal-Mangalore...

Since I want to go to Manipal, I'd like to avoid going to Mangalore and then coming to Manipal. So, where do I take the road which would come directly to Manipal? Is this pass somewhere near Karkala?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
Road between Mangalore Udupi is also good, albeit with diversions. Watch out for the local buses plying between Mangalore and Manipal who will be hurtling at you like Osama's boys aiming the twin tower in a plane
Have dodged them for 4 years; they only get worse!
Old 19th September 2011, 16:09   #3667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the route updates fellas.

When I go by bus, either the bus goes Manipal-Karkala-Hassan... or Manipal-Mangalore...

Since I want to go to Manipal, I'd like to avoid going to Mangalore and then coming to Manipal. So, where do I take the road which would come directly to Manipal? Is this pass somewhere near Karkala?
This depends on which route you take after Hassan. The possible options are

1. Hassan-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Dharmasthala-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Karkala-Manipal
2. Hassan-Belur-Mudigere (via Gendehally)-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Karkala-Manipal
3. Hassan-Belur-Mudigere (via Gendehally)-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Manipal
4. Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Manipal

These are the most feasible options.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 16:23   #3668

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This depends on which route you take after Hassan. The possible options are

1. Hassan-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Dharmasthala-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Karkala-Manipal
2. Hassan-Belur-Mudigere (via Gendehally)-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Karkala-Manipal
3. Hassan-Belur-Mudigere (via Gendehally)-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Kudremukha-Karkala-Manipal

I had tried out Route no. 2 sometime in May 2011 and was good except the hairpin bends on Charmadi Ghat. Not sure how good the Guruvayanakere-Karkala-Manipal road will be post monsoons.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:07   #3669

As promised, some pics of before-during-after the great Shiradi ghat:
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-photo0210.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-photo0213.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-photo0214.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-photo0218.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-photo0219.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-photo0222.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-photo0230.jpg  

Prashant Shenoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 10:43   #3670
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics Prashant. But if i am not wrong these are only before and after pics .. "During" seemed worst than this to me(august second week). have they repaired ?
Old 20th September 2011, 12:39   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

I did option 4 in first week of Sep, though not actually complete but till Hebri. Route is very good with scars traffic. Between Aldur and Balehonur (20+km) roads are bad. Some part of Augmbe is bad. Apart from that here and there potholes in ghats. However if you see recent update from Samurai, roads between Hebri and Manipal is worst. If this is the case not sure if all other routes are any better (i.e. Karkala & Manipal)! The faster route still is no 1, via charmadi or Kudremukh is always riskier but very scenic route.

If you destination is Manipal, there is no point taking route via Mangalore. Choose one of this route! you will be happy!
Old 20th September 2011, 12:49   #3672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
If you destination is Manipal, there is no point taking route via Mangalore. Choose one of this route! you will be happy!
Um, this Sunday that is exactly what I did. I drove from Bangalore-Manipal via the traditional route of Shiradi-Mangalore-Udupi. That is because the road between Gundya-Mangalore-Padubidri is heck of a lot better and faster than my usual Gundya-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Manipal route. The difference is Mangalore route is 16kms longer, but faster.

The padubidri-Udupi route is under 4-lane construction, expect lot of deviations. But quite manageable during day, but a nightmare during night, especially in rain.
Old 20th September 2011, 18:00   #3673
Senior - BHPian

I second that on driving between Mangalore and Udupi after sunset and with the rains can be a horror, i did try it on my bike couple of weeks back and had a tough time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Um, this Sunday that is exactly what I did. I drove from Bangalore-Manipal via the traditional route of Shiradi-Mangalore-Udupi. That is because the road between Gundya-Mangalore-Padubidri is heck of a lot better and faster than my usual Gundya-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Manipal route. The difference is Mangalore route is 16kms longer, but faster.

The padubidri-Udupi route is under 4-lane construction, expect lot of deviations. But quite manageable during day, but a nightmare during night, especially in rain.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:42   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Guys i need some information on the Madikeri-sampaje-sulya-puttur-mani stretch.

I will be driving October first week(from Bangalore) and need to travel towards Sulya. (i dont think i need to take shiradi-uppinangadi-puttur-sulya for this )

Roads till Madikeri should be in good shape. also i hope the same till sampaje. but i dont know how bad roads are post sampaje ? can anyone update ?

I also got to know that some Road widening is happening inside Sulya city, so traffic is diverted(does anyone know this ?)
Old 21st September 2011, 15:52   #3675
BHPian

Driving to Mangalore this weekend from Bangalore. As per earlier suggestions I used to take the following route.

Bangalore - Nice Road - Magady - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi -Uppinangadi - Mangalore

Considering the present road condition, is this still the best route?

The last time I traveled (~6 months back), the roads inside Magady town was literally non-existent. Is that still the case?

Will going via Neelamangala (to avoid Magadi) land me in a traffic nightmare?

Most Viewed