Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 10:06   #3826
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Its been sometime since I traveled Bangalore-Udipi - Shiradi Ghat is avoidable. Via Coorg is even worse as Coorg-Mangalore is not motorable. Charmadi Ghat is a viable option - chose Hassan-Chikmagalur Charmadi Ghat route over Hassan-Kalasa route - the latter is more picturesque as it takes you through rain forests (Kudremukh) but via Chikmagalur is a better road.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:12   #3827

Eventually it boils down to the choice (just echoeing Samurai's thoughts):

1. 160 km of on-off pot holed road (Agumbe-Chikmagalur route) 240km reasonable (expected time of travel 8.5 hours)
2. 30km of horrendous road, rest of the road superb (Through Shiradi) (expted time of travel 7.5 hours) - chances of truck accidents blocking roads in night.

My brother came via shiradi on Sunday and did Udupi-Nelamangala in 7.5 hours. Sounds alright to me if you don't have a low-ground clearance car...
Old 13th December 2011, 14:14   #3828
BHPian

back from a quick drive to Mangalore yesterday.

Bangalore 4am - hassan 6am - sakleshpur 640am - Gundya 8am - Mangalore 10am with a 20 minute break at adithya, uppinangadi.

return - Mangalore 345pm - Gundya 6pm - sakleshpur 715pm - Hassan 815pm - Bangalore 1015pm with two breaks of 15 minutes at kalladka and sakleshpur.

now, out of the 35 kms from sakleshpur to gundya ( driving towards mangalore ) the first 10 kms is perfect - smooth. the next 10 kms is broken only on the curves - the gap between the two concretised stretches. the last 10 kms ( km 252 to 261 ) there is no road - stones, gravel, very rough for the entire stretch. This 35 kms could take 1 hour 15 mins in any car, even a hatch or a sedan. the only care to be taken is to select the least undulated part of the road ( in least traffic conditions that is )

The good news is, patch work has started from gundya side ( which was noticed ) and as per the local newspapers, work is assured to be completed before jan 15.

localites mention that the sampaje ghat ( madikeri - sullia ) is good now but sullia - puttur - mani is horrible. likewise, charmadi ghat ( mundaje - mudigere ) is very bad in the DK dist of the 22 km stretch and narrow too.

toll collection trials ( mock ) were on in the nelamangala - bellur cross toll road. Expecting actual toll collection any time now. the amount has not been pasted on the board - likely to be high for this 70 km stretch. Bellur cross - hassan 4 laning is on at a very brisk pace.

Last edited by roamingrao : 13th December 2011 at 14:34.
roamingrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 13:41   #3829
BHPian

I am planning a trip to a beach resort Sai Vishram, Byndoor which is about 20 KMS from Kundapura.

Following are the route options:

OPTION A (440 KMS): Bangalore - Nelamangala - Thumkur - Shimoga - Ayanur - Ripponpet - Hosanagara - Nagara - Niddodi Ghat - Kollur - Byndoor. ( Narrow road from Ayanur to Byndoor, with less traffic)

OPTION B (469 KMS) : Same as A however reach do NH4 until Chitradurga and then turn towards Shimoga

OPTION C (457 KMS): Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hasan - Belur - Chickmagalur - Balehonnur - Agumbe Ghat - Someshwara - Halady - Kundapur - Byndoor ( From Kundapur NH 66/17, Ghat Section between Chickmagalur & Agumbe)

Will be a convey of 4 cars 2 of which are Honda City's and two Skoda Laura's. What route should I be taking. As you see there isnt much between the three routes in terms of distance.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-option-.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-option-b.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-option-c.jpg  

Old 19th December 2011, 14:34   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
I am planning a trip to a beach resort Sai Vishram, Byndoor which is about 20 KMS from Kundapura.
If you read samurai's thread, most routes to Kundapur and Udupi are gone. Hulikal ghats are in pretty much bad shape, Sure how better is Nagara, kollur route.

I would suggest This route via thirthahalli . How you reach Shimoga is up to you. Colleague who drove last week felt route via Chitradurga is better, fatser. But then again he drove in mid afternoon. If you driving early morning road will be empty.

Above route is via Agumbe, of course not good, but considering the Hulikal ghat horror its far safer option. Once you pass Halady you will have better routes.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 14:42   #3831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
If you read samurai's thread, most routes to Kundapur and Udupi are gone. Hulikal ghats are in pretty much bad shape, Sure how better is Nagara, kollur route.

I would suggest This route via thirthahalli . How you reach Shimoga is up to you. Colleague who drove last week felt route via Chitradurga is better, fatser. But then again he drove in mid afternoon. If you driving early morning road will be empty.

Above route is via Agumbe, of course not good, but considering the Hulikal ghat horror its far safer option. Once you pass Halady you will have better routes.
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you think i might as well do Chikmagalur route in that case, Option C in my earlier post or should i stick to Shimoga - Thirthahalli route?
Old 19th December 2011, 14:46   #3832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Byndoor isn't 20kms from Kundapura, it is 33kms. I am a regular at that resort, been visiting there since 2004. I have at least two TLs:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nd-vitara.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...long-time.html

I was there last month too, on office picnic.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pb201178.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pb201298.jpg

I am not familiar with the first two routes since they are too north for me. But the third route is not really good. They have done no repairs since the monsoon.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:51   #3833
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you think i might as well do Chikmagalur route in that case, Option C in my earlier post or should i stick to Shimoga - Thirthahalli route?
Well If you read Samurai's explanation few post above, I wouldn't suggest route C. Its full of surprise potholes. And you need to drive 120 kms of it! Shimoga Thirthahalli route, route gets bad after Thirthahalli, till you reach Someshwara. From Someshwara you have two routes, one you go till Hebri stright till Hebri, or you take right at Someshwara (read Kollur, kundapura board). First one used to be little better. But if I read Samurai's mail, its no better, so why waste fuel, go slow. Either case distance of bad roads is around 40kms. If you don't feel like going via Vandse (as marked in gmaps i sent), you can drive down to Kundapur and take NH17.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:51   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Byndoor isn't 20kms from Kundapura, it is 33kms. I am a regular at that resort, been visiting there since 2004. ...

I am not familiar with the first two routes since they are too north for me. But the third route is not really good. They have done no repairs since the monsoon.
Thanks Samurai. What route do you suggest?

Last edited by rohitm : 19th December 2011 at 14:58.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:24   #3835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Samurai. What route do you suggest?
Well, you could try out one of the first two routes and tell us how it is...

Frankly, there is no good road to the coast right now. Even Bangalore tourist taxis have given up on these roads.

Bangalore taxis may not ply to coast, bad roads deter tour operators - The Times of India
Old 19th December 2011, 15:56   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, you could try out one of the first two routes and tell us how it is...
Sure will post in about 8 to 10 days back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Well If you read Samurai's explanation few post above, I wouldn't suggest route C. Its full of surprise potholes.

Will stick your suggestion Ragu and use the Thirthahalli route !

Last edited by rohitm : 19th December 2011 at 15:57.
Old 19th December 2011, 17:37   #3837
BHPian

Mangalore trip - this yearend.

Friends,
Planning for a mangalore trip this year-end (31st Dec to 2nd Jan) from Bangalore with my friends (8 bachelors) on 2 cars - Accent & Alto.
As per recommendations in this thread, we would stick to BLR-Hassan-sakleshpur-Gundya-Mangalore onward & same route for return.
Need your suggestions for accomodation near beach (resorts/hotel/homestays etc), please. Also, recommend some places to visit nearby (Mainly beaches & other good places of interest).

Thanks in advance
Old 19th December 2011, 22:11   #3838
BHPian

The road is bad via shimoga kollur route, though low on traffic. Narrow route, pot holes. I intend to travel next week to byndoor, but will do via mangalore, at least only shiradi to navigate, and roads are straighter Mlore-byndoor
Old 20th December 2011, 09:18   #3839
BHPian

@vnambiar, You can take route I suggested to Rohit. Shimoga~Thirthahhalli~Halady~Vandse/Kundapur~ Byndoor. You will have ~40km bad roads (between Thirthahalli & Someshwara)
Old 20th December 2011, 11:23   #3840
BHPian

I am posting a query that was already posted in another thread without getting any response so far. A friend of mine wants to visit Gokarna and also visit jog falls. Does anyone have the latest info on road conditions from bangalore-shimoga-jog falls-Gokarna? I believe B'lore-Shimoga is ok, but not sure how is the road condition beyond Shimoga.

If Shimoga-Sagara-Jog falls-Gokarna is in bad condition, are there any better alternative routes to cover Jog falls while going to Gokarna?

Thanks in advance folks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks