Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:49   #3871
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi. With road repairing up

Mods note: Thread merged. Please discuss all related road/s repairing updates here only.
Let's not have any separate thread for the same route discussion please.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:43   #3872
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Now for the timings that would ashame all car drivers .

The bus did it in about 6 hours which included ( 15 mins break at Kamath + another 20 mins break on the ghat )
@Satya, nothing to be ashamed of there. It's a Volvo. I'd rather let him cruise at his 130's than try to attempt those speeds in car that has neither that kind of torque nor the retarders to ride on.

Last edited by condor : 3rd January 2012 at 08:45.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:39   #3873
Senior - BHPian

Yes Yes ..thats what I meant ...I had kept my phone GPS on ...the max speed reached was 106 kph ...but the only difference would be that he would be doing these speeds on all kinds of roads ,while cars would have to slow down .

I was looking at the way car drivers drive when I was sitting besides the driver ...these bus drivers have to really struggle to keep everyone safe ...most car drivers were driving reckless with very close overtakings ...

I am amazed as to how do these HCV drivers maintain their patience...dunno how would i have reacted if I had to brake on every corner just to save an idiot of a car driver trying to gain that extra inch ..only to be overtaken by the bus on another open stretch .

If bus operators take leg rooms into consideration and have properly spaced out seats ,I wouldnt hesitate to take the bus every time instead of driving small distances like this
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:54   #3874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Do you think it is More or Less? I've mentioned Door-to-Door Distance.

It is correct as correlated by ODO and GPS. The ODO shows slightly less due to tire up-size.

Sarjapur Rd - NICE Rd - Neelamangala - Hassan - Shiradi - Pumpwell Jn - Kerala Rd - Old Kolya
I felt it was more since I log 396kms for Bangalore-Manipal. But then Sarjapura Rd-Nice road would take a long half circle around the city, that must have added up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Now for the timings that would ashame all car drivers .

1115 pm ,we are stuck at the toll on the NH4 bottleneck and I sleep off .130 am i see the bus reversing at Kamath .

Finally we reach mangalore at 5 am !!

The bus did it in about 6 hours which included ( 15 mins break at Kamath + another 20 mins break on the ghat )
Not to pick a bone, I know Volvo is fast, but you can't compare night time Volvo speed to day time car speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This time I drove through Mangalore since I wanted to avoid horrible Karkala stretch. Reached Mangalore in 6.5hours including a 1/2 hour break at Mayura.
This was day time drive, consider the traffic in various towns too. And I never exceeded 100kmph in this drive. I am not really a fast driver, except on bad roads.
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:47   #3875
Senior - BHPian

Did a trip to Kundapura from Hassan last weekend. While going, I went via Shimoga-Thirthalli-Mastikatte-Hulikal-Balebare-Siddapura-Kundapura. For the return journey, I took Kundapura-Manipal-Karkala-Bajagoli-Belthangady-Charmadi-Mudigere-Gendehalli-Belur-Hassan route.

I have updated the road conditions for the 1st route in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2629034

I was expecting the road between Manipal-Karkala-Guruvayanakere to be bad, but to my surprise, it was good to decent all the way. Almost all potholes have been patched up. Even Charmadi ghat road, barring a few curves was mostly good.
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:06   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Did a trip to Kundapura from Hassan last weekend. While going, I went via Shimoga-Thirthalli-Mastikatte-Hulikal-Balebare-Siddapura-Kundapura. For the return journey, I took Kundapura-Manipal-Karkala-Bajagoli-Belthangady-Charmadi-Mudigere-Gendehalli-Belur-Hassan route.

I have updated the road conditions for the 1st route in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2629034

I was expecting the road between Manipal-Karkala-Guruvayanakere to be bad, but to my surprise, it was good to decent all the way. Almost all potholes have been patched up. Even Charmadi ghat road, barring a few curves was mostly good.
Hey Addy, thanks for this update on the Manipal route through Charmadi. We guys were contemplating on the route to take to Manipal, after my recent experience with Shiradi ghat was not completely pleasant. Have you been through Shiradi recently, does Charmadi fair far better?
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:10   #3877
Team-BHP Support

Came back from a B'lore-Manipal round trip.

Boy, it's mayhem in Shiradi! The roads are unimaginably terrible; the craters have just become deeper and the surface has eroded at almost all places. The entire 33km stretch is lousy.

At night, you should be on this stretch only if you're in a Volvo; even trucks find it difficult to accelerate thru' the ditches on steep climbs.

The rest of the journey was pleasant though.
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:29   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Hey Addy, thanks for this update on the Manipal route through Charmadi. We guys were contemplating on the route to take to Manipal, after my recent experience with Shiradi ghat was not completely pleasant. Have you been through Shiradi recently, does Charmadi fair far better?
Nope, I have not traveled on Shiradi ghat recently. I had heard that there were some patchworks going on, but going by libran's post, I guess, the work has not started full fledged.

That said, Charmadi too has some deep holes, but they are very few in number I guess and only at the curves, but it is manageable.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:08   #3879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Nope, I have not traveled on Shiradi ghat recently. I had heard that there were some patchworks going on, but going by libran's post, I guess, the work has not started full fledged.

That said, Charmadi too has some deep holes, but they are very few in number I guess and only at the curves, but it is manageable.
Thanks for that.

The recent drive I had on Shiradi did throw in front ruts deep enough to gobble my Laura and for a good 30+km. Guess my options are between the devil and the deep sea.
Old 4th January 2012, 07:12   #3880
BHPian

Had been to Kasargod on first.

Upto madikeri - fantastic roads

Madikeri to sampaje
- road completed in patches
Some places mud road but flattened by dozers
Few rough patches. With a bit of patience , motorable.

Sampaje to sulyia
Some places mud road but flattened by dozers
Rest rough patches. Not too deep nor superficial , ll certainly get a irritable jolt when the wheel falls in. With a bit of patience , motorable .

Sulliya to jalsoor
80% good roads ,rest managable.

I had to turn towards kasargod from there

But if u were to proceed towards mlore I guess the entire stretch is fantastic.
drkakkilaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 09:01   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya
Had been to
Sampaje to sulyia

Sulliya to jalsoor
But how was the road condition inside sullia town?
Old 4th January 2012, 09:34   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku

But how was the road condition inside sullia town?
Road is complete inside the town. Its very wide , just that watch out for the projecting manholes along the left side of the road when going from mysore side.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:21   #3883
Team-BHP Support

The adage "Grass is greener on the other side" is apt for driver behavior on bad stretches of road between Sakleshpur and Gundya. Majority of drivers seem to prefer driving on the right side of the road, and moving to the left only at the last moment to avoid collision!
Old 5th January 2012, 23:13   #3884
BHPian

Latest report on Shiradi to and fro..
Travelled from Bangalore to Karkala via Shiradi on 2nd Jan 2012 : Counted about approx 12 turns where roads looked melted! Patch work in progress. Horrible roads started after about 8-10 Kms from Sakaleshpur and lasts till Gundya post.. Painfull for Low Ground Clearance cars.. Managed to come out with out scrapping the bottom in i20..

Travelled back to Bangalore on 05 Jan 2012 .. Patch work has taken care of 6 turns and roughly around 6 turns remains to be carefully negotiated.. One can manage to cover 30 kms in around 45-50 mins if you are extra carefull.The quality of patch work remains disgusting and I dont think it will last long..

I just loved the stretch between Sakleshpur and Hassan.. Newly laid roads and a breeze to drive though its 2 laner...

On way back also went to Kukke Subramanya except for few potholes here and there and a single bad 25 mts stretch rest everything was patched and comfortable to drive...
Kiyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 18:44   #3885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
While coming back , I took another route which might help other people travelling to Udupi or thereabouts.

Udupi-Kota-Kokkarni-Mandarthi-Hebri-Agumbe-Sringeri-Aldur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore

]
I took the Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Chikmanglur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-NH17 route to Margao on Dec 30th. I was on my Bullet Classic 500 with my wife. This route is awesome, and pretty scenic for a motorcycle trip. Thanks to rohittunga for sharing this route, we really enjoyed the ride.

On the way back I took the Margao-Ankola-Hubli-Bangalore route. The NH is impeccable, but gets a little tedious and boring compared to the route we took to get to Margao.
reswaran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed