Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 19:42   #3946
Senior - BHPian

Timing looks reasonable. I am sure you can reach sringeri much early like 11ish if you indeed start at 4am. I typically start at 4 am too
Its been a while since i came via that route though. I prefer shiradi now.
I don't see any reason to worry about bad roads. Enjoy

For breakfast why don't you stop in hasan? Starting at 4 means you might get hungry by 7:30

Last edited by rajshenoy : 9th February 2012 at 19:45.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:31   #3947
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Can suggest two veg hotels in Hassan...Hotel Moti Mahal opposite the KSRTC bus stand and Harsha Palace opposite to AVK college. Both of them are not swanky by any stretch of imagination...but, you will get dosa /idly which would be ideal for breakfast and personally I love the rave ( sooji) dosa at Moti.

Also, on the Hasanamba temple road there are 2 original Iyengar bakeries , but I think it would not be open very early.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:16   #3948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Can suggest two veg hotels in Hassan...Hotel Moti Mahal opposite the KSRTC bus stand and Harsha Palace opposite to AVK college. Both of them are not swanky by any stretch of imagination...but, you will get dosa /idly which would be ideal for breakfast and personally I love the rave ( sooji) dosa at Moti.

Also, on the Hasanamba temple road there are 2 original Iyengar bakeries , but I think it would not be open very early.
Moti hotel and Harsha Mahal are nowhere near what they used to be. I was a fan of the Moti Hotel dosas, but the quality has fallen down drastically. Not recommended at all. Better go to Suvarna Sagar or Sri Krishna Sagar on BM Road.

Are you talking about the two bakeries which are next to each other?
Old 10th February 2012, 11:28   #3949
Senior - BHPian

What speeds did you do to reach Kunigal via Magadi in one hour from Jayanagar :O ? What car ?
Old 10th February 2012, 11:28   #3950
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

@rajshenoy , @mazda4life , @addyhemige
Thanks for the replies, I shall break at hassan afterall (will be hungry )

do you guys / anyone have updates on :
1) road conditions - potholes in chickmaglur-sringeri leg & sringeri-dharmasthala leg
2) early morning start from sringeri - will there be heavy fog ?
3) shirdi ghats road surface on the return leg, is it fine now ?

Appreciate the help.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:44   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
@rajshenoy , @mazda4life , @addyhemige
Thanks for the replies, I shall break at hassan afterall (will be hungry )

do you guys / anyone have updates on :
1) road conditions - potholes in chickmaglur-sringeri leg & sringeri-dharmasthala leg
2) early morning start from sringeri - will there be heavy fog ?
3) shirdi ghats road surface on the return leg, is it fine now ?

Appreciate the help.
I havent taken that route since long time, so i dont have any latest updates. but typically this is what you can expect

hasan-belur - awesome
belur-chickmaglur - good - narrow rough road, occasional potholes, but you can keep a steady speed
chickmaglur-aldur-balehonnur-jayapur- ok road - again narrow road, i remember sudden potholes below tree shades, but being a dry season, you might be able to spot bad roads
From jayapur, dont go towards koppa, ask someone to point to sringeri route. may be around 20-25 kms, but it was a good surface with very low traffic.

Fog typically builds up after sun-rise isnt it ?,So I think you should be prepared for fog post 6-6:30. but its very random and unpredictable, so if you are lucky you might not get much fog/it might clear up faster.

There wont be any fog once you get down the western ghats near karkala.

Shiradi(unless you plan to visit Shirdi too) road may not be greatest.. but it is the fastest and shortest way to reach back to Bangalore. Also it should be at its best(compared to last monsoons) currently
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 22:34   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Moti hotel and Harsha Mahal are nowhere near what they used to be. I was a fan of the Moti Hotel dosas, but the quality has fallen down drastically. Not recommended at all. Better go to Suvarna Sagar or Sri Krishna Sagar on BM Road.

Are you talking about the two bakeries which are next to each other?
I am sad to hear the update over the degrading quality in Moti...used to be one of our favourite haunts. Yes, I was referring to the 2 bakeries next to each other and one was supposed to be the original bakery of the Bylhalli fame.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:16   #3953
BHPian

Hi, I need to go Mangalore-Bangalore via Manipal due to some work.

Any idea about the Manipal-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga road conditions? Thanks in advance.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:40   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Moti hotel and Harsha Mahal are nowhere near what they used to be. I was a fan of the Moti Hotel dosas, but the quality has fallen down drastically.
Particularly Rava Masala Dosa, which is what I had liked there. That too way way back, never tried in recent past.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:52   #3955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
What speeds did you do to reach Kunigal via Magadi in one hour from Jayanagar :O ? What car ?
I am assuming this q is directed at me. Started at exactly 6AM. Nice road K'Pura entry and Magadi road exit. No traffic at all anywhere since it was early morning. Since this time I took the A* AT I maintained speeds of about 80Km/Hr once out of Nice road. Reached the intersection of Magadi road and NH48 and stopped for tea. Looked at the watch and it said 7AM.
Top speed on Nice probably 110 KM/Hr for short bursts ( I dont think A* is safe above 90 with stock tyres).
Top speed rest of the way until NH48 100 KM/Hr.
ash_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 15:02   #3956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post

Any idea about the Manipal-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga road conditions? Thanks in advance.
I read that the Agumbe Ghat road is not that great but nevethless doable.

See post 223 - last post - on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2678966

Agumbe - Tirthahalli is again not bad. Tirthahalli - Shimoga is good.
Old 13th February 2012, 15:14   #3957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Manipal - Agumbe has the steepest section of the climb and in many areas it is concrete road, especially near Agumbe. Watch out for heavy traffic towards evenings, this might lead to delays near tight hairpins. Agumbe sunset point (2km before Agumbe) is a major candidate for jams in the evenings.

Agumbe-Thirthahalli is patchy and bumpy in stretches near Agumbe, but shouldn't be too much of a problem. Even a low slung Honda Civic will also manage fine

Thirthahalli - Shimoga has fantastic roads and this stretch is a delight to drive on.

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th February 2012 at 15:25.
Old 13th February 2012, 15:49   #3958
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Any reason to take this longer route? I did Bangalore-Manipal just yesterday in 7h:15m, including 45 minutes for breakfast & lunch breaks. I took Shiradi and Dharmastala route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I am assuming this q is directed at me. Started at exactly 6AM. Nice road K'Pura entry and Magadi road exit. No traffic at all anywhere since it was early morning. Since this time I took the A* AT I maintained speeds of about 80Km/Hr once out of Nice road. Reached the intersection of Magadi road and NH48 and stopped for tea. Looked at the watch and it said 7AM.
Yesterday I did HRBR layout to Mayura in 1h:20m, could have saved another 5 minutes if not for the traffic Jam caused by a trucker near ORR turn-off. Normally I take 1.5 hours, but yesterday there were some fast cars on the road and I just kept pace with them.
Old 13th February 2012, 16:35   #3959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Any reason to take this longer route? I did Bangalore-Manipal just yesterday in 7h:15m, including 45 minutes for breakfast & lunch breaks. I took Shiradi and Dharmastala route.
Samurai, after I drove through Gundya-Shiradi in 2007, I have perpetually been curious about that stretch! How is it now?

What of talks of concretising Shiradi ghat, and of 4-laning it? Has any of that really taken off?
Old 13th February 2012, 16:38   #3960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Samurai, after I drove through Gundya-Shiradi in 2007, I have perpetually been curious about that stretch! How is it now?
Between Jan to June, it is the best route to take. It is in great shape now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
What of talks of concretising Shiradi ghat, and of 4-laning it? Has any of that really taken off?
Not really... the 4-laning has been from Bangalore to Bellur cross. Rest is still slowly happening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks