Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 16:47   #3961
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I did HRBR layout to Mayura in 1h:20m, could have saved another 5 minutes if not for the traffic Jam caused by a trucker near ORR turn-off. Normally I take 1.5 hours, but yesterday there were some fast cars on the road and I just kept pace with them.
Can drive faster if I had taken the civiv (actually definitely much faster). However, with the A* I am nervous above 90s (just like some of the cricket starts).
Old 13th February 2012, 16:57   #3962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really... the 4-laning has been from Bangalore to Bellur cross. Rest is still slowly happening.
A week back, I read in a local paper in Hassan that the Hassan-Sakleshpur and Gundya-BC Road stretch had been given a go ahead for four lane widening. Apparently Shiradi will remain 2 laned, but will be 'developed'. I'm not sure when this 'development' will take place though. From what I heard, preliminary works have started between Hassan and Sakleshpur
Old 13th February 2012, 17:02   #3963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Can drive faster if I had taken the civiv (actually definitely much faster). However, with the A* I am nervous above 90s (just like some of the cricket starts).
I don't compete with cars on good roads. By myself I settle at about 100kmph. I go higher only if I get some pilot car to set me a pace.

However, if you are looking for a challenge, I shall pick Shiradi ghats in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Apparently Shiradi will remain 2 laned, but will be 'developed'.
If they put road divider in Shiradi ghats, most of those long trucks can't turn.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th February 2012 at 17:04.
Old 13th February 2012, 17:03   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A week back, I read in a local paper in Hassan that the Hassan-Sakleshpur and Gundya-BC Road stretch had been given a go ahead for four lane widening. Apparently Shiradi will remain 2 laned, but will be 'developed'. I'm not sure when this 'development' will take place though. From what I heard, preliminary works have started between Hassan and Sakleshpur
I feel a bit sad about the Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch becoming 4-lane. It is currently such a beautiful, flowing, twisty road. It will surely lose its character.

But I guess this was bound to happen, with the increase in traffic. Can't deny the advantages of a 4-lane highway. I am already beginning to feel nostalgic
Old 13th February 2012, 17:09   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
However, if you are looking for a challenge, I shall pick Shiradi ghats in October.
I concede right away. No need to waste money on fuel for you and a entire suspension job for me
Old 13th February 2012, 17:12   #3966
Senior - BHPian

oh that means the remain last good stretches will look bald in some years:(

Quote:
Old 13th February 2012, 17:28   #3967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
No need to waste money on fuel for you and a entire suspension job for me
I have no choice but drive this stretch twice a month. Even my GV has undergone suspension changes last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
oh that means the remain last good stretches will look bald in some years:(
Last week I drove to KL and back, about 300kms of that route is 4-lane highway. I could never find a tree for shade while stopping on the road. Reminded me of your signature. And there are no plans to plant new trees along any 4-lane highway.
Old 13th February 2012, 20:22   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I feel a bit sad about the Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch becoming 4-lane. It is currently such a beautiful, flowing, twisty road. It will surely lose its character.

But I guess this was bound to happen, with the increase in traffic. Can't deny the advantages of a 4-lane highway. I am already beginning to feel nostalgic

"Loss of character" is nicely put - and I'm nostalgic already too - but as you say progress is natural. Let's just be content that we visited when it still had some beauty. Only expected that subsequent generations will keep seeing less beautiful versions of the country. Think of Bangalore 20 yrs back

On a lighter note, I just hope hotels, resorts, starry apartment complexes and malls don't come up on the highway ( e.g. Gundyahole view apartments - "enjoy the views of a river in spate" - 3 hours drive only from Bangalore or Redstream forest view apartments near Kempuhole ) unscrupulously.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 22:54   #3969
BHPian

Thanks Fauji, KarthikK.

I just did Bangalore-Kollur 3 days back . Updated the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...re-kollur.html

Today on the return journey, I did Manipal-Bangalore. This is the latest update:

1. Manipal-Agumbe - Quite good upto the ghats, patched roads in some parts. Ghat section is not good and patched in many places.
2. Agumbe-Thirthahalli - Excellent
3. Thirthahalli-Bhadravati - Great, patched in some places. Watch out for barely visible rumblers.
3. Bhadravati-Arasikere-Tiptur-Tumkur - Great most of the way. But constant interruptions by towns and town activity slowed down the journey. Roads around Tiptur and Tumkur not good.
4. Tumkur-Bangalore - Good roads, but heavy truck traffic and long toll queues

Quote:
Any reason to take this longer route? I did Bangalore-Manipal just yesterday in 7h:15m, including 45 minutes for breakfast & lunch breaks. I took Shiradi and Dharmastala route.
Hmm.. no real reason. Didn't want to risk the Shiradi route. But looks like I should have. My above route took me 9 hours, including a 1hr break. But that was probably due to my taking the Arasikere-Tiptur route instead of the Chitradurga route.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 21:49   #3970
BHPian

Toll collection begins at Nelamangala - Bellur Cross stretch

Please ignore if there's a post on this already, as I haven't checked, yet.

Toll fee is Rs.52/- for a return trip, and no charge for 1 way trip, ie. for leaving Bangalore city. Got to check if they charge Rs.26/-, or even Rs.52/- for the trip to Bangalore.
Old 15th February 2012, 13:22   #3971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toll collection begins at Nelamangala - Bellur Cross stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Please ignore if there's a post on this already, as I haven't checked, yet.

Toll fee is Rs.52/- for a return trip, and no charge for 1 way trip, ie. for leaving Bangalore city. Got to check if they charge Rs.26/-, or even Rs.52/- for the trip to Bangalore.
I think there is toll both from bangalore and from Bellur cross. Only one toll is functional ? i think both would have started.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:14   #3972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
When are they starting to collect this? I paid nothing on Sunday.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:39   #3973
BHPian

Quote:
When are they starting to collect this? I paid nothing on Sunday.
This was on the afternoon of Monday, the 12th.

The toll collector asked me whether I'm undertaking a 1-way, or return trip. I said 1-way, and he let me pass. But on inquiry, he said 2-way trip is charged. It didn't occur to me to ask if my return trip to B'lore will be charged.

Hoping to get an answer from anyone who replies before I start back, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I think there is toll both from bangalore and from Bellur cross. Only one toll is functional ? i think both would have started.
Nope, the toll booth at Bellur Cross is not yet operational.

Last edited by dkamath : 15th February 2012 at 15:40.
Old 15th February 2012, 19:17   #3974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did Bangalore-Manipal just yesterday in 7h:15m, including 45 minutes for breakfast & lunch breaks. I took Shiradi and Dharmastala route.
Samurai - Which is the optimal route for Dharmastala - Manipal?
Old 15th February 2012, 19:28   #3975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Samurai - Which is the optimal route for Dharmastala - Manipal?
This is my route from Gundya to Manipal.

Gundya, Karnataka to Manipal, Karnataka - Google Maps
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks