Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 03:28   #3991
BHPian

Re: The restaurants between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
Hello

I am planning to visit the Kollur Mookambika temple. On 4th of March 2012, I will travel from the Hyderabad to Bangalore, halt in Bangalore.

The Second leg of the journey will be Bangalore to Mangalore on the 5th of March 2012 , This is a Family Trip so it going to wife, son and Me. I am planning to take the NH48, can you please suggest a good restaurant on the way.

And Mainly how is the road conditions and if there is any do’s and don’ts. What will be the approximate time taken to cover this distance.

Thanks in advance.
The good/family restaurants on the way would be 'Mayura' near bellur cross(LHS), 'Kamat Yatri Nivas' after channarayapatna(RHS) and then 'Aditya' near uppinangady(RHS). The road conditions are good, especially with shiradi being patched up. But always suggest, to take it easy on shiradi.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 13:47   #3992
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Guys i am planning to travel to Mangalore from Bangalore next month and for a change I am not driving down. I will be traveling by bus. from last more than 3 years now i never traveled by bus or train on this route. Need help from recent travelers:

1. Considering i am going only by bus and ruling out train journey, which is the best sleeper bus to opt for?
2. My preference will be KSRTC and i am aware that KSRTC has an option of sleeper bus - But somehow I am not able to see the sleeper option on their online booking website. Whats the procedure if i have to book KSRTC sleeper online?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:11   #3993
BHPian

Hi lazybrain,

You can book seats/berths on the KSRTC sleeper coach online.They are categorized under the Service Class -> Luxury.Among private operators Durgamba operates a number of sleeper coaches ( A/C & non A/C) which are equally good.

Thanks
Suhas
Old 25th February 2012, 16:42   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain
Guys i am planning to travel to Mangalore from Bangalore next month and for a change I am not driving down. I will be traveling by bus. from last more than 3 years now i never traveled by bus or train on this route. Need help from recent travelers:

1. Considering i am going only by bus and ruling out train journey, which is the best sleeper bus to opt for?

Thanks for your replies.
I have been travelling by durgamba since few years and they surely have well maintained ac sleepers among pvt. Players.
Never tried anything other than volvo on ksrtc. But they should be having that corona sleeper that is similar.
Old 28th February 2012, 08:51   #3995
BHPian

NH48 has singnificnaly improved and is only going to get better. Drove Dharmasthala to Yeshwantpur (via. shiradi/sakleshpur) in under 4.5 hrs (with a 15 min break).. great ride!
Old 28th February 2012, 11:40   #3996
BHPian

Have to do a Bangalore-Hebri-Moodbidri-Bangalore this Thursday. Options for Bangalore-Hebri I am considering are

1. Bangalore - Shimoga - Agumbe - Hebri. Bored of this route. Want to try something else.
2. Bangalore - Mangalore - Karkala - Hebri. Have to return via Mangalore. So will skip this for onward journey
3. Bangalore - Hasan - Belur - Balehonnur - Koppa - Agumbe - Hebri. So far the shortest. Most probably be taking this route. Any idea about road conditions between Belur and Koppa?
4. Bangalore - Hasan - Belur - Moodigeri - Kudremukha - Karkala - Hebri. Have done this before. Will skip this time.

Return will be via shiradi ghat.
Old 28th February 2012, 13:25   #3997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
Have to do a Bangalore-Hebri-Moodbidri-Bangalore this Thursday. Options for Bangalore-Hebri I am considering are

1. Bangalore - Shimoga - Agumbe - Hebri. Bored of this route. Want to try something else.
2. Bangalore - Mangalore - Karkala - Hebri. Have to return via Mangalore. So will skip this for onward journey
3. Bangalore - Hasan - Belur - Balehonnur - Koppa - Agumbe - Hebri. So far the shortest. Most probably be taking this route. Any idea about road conditions between Belur and Koppa?
4. Bangalore - Hasan - Belur - Moodigeri - Kudremukha - Karkala - Hebri. Have done this before. Will skip this time.
None of the above.

I suggest this: Bengaluru, Karnataka to Hebri, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 28th February 2012, 13:30   #3998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks Samurai. Missed the Belthangady route. This makes sense. Will take this route.
Old 28th February 2012, 14:37   #3999
BHPian

I second Samurai's option.
I had been through that route last week (25th Feb 2012).
Shiradi ghat is all patched up.Atleast my Figo didn't scrape.

Not sure of the Dharmasthala route though.I took the uppinangadi route to Mangalore. Good roads.
Old 4th March 2012, 09:35   #4000
BHPian

I did Bangalore - Hasan - Sakaleshpur - Dharmasthala - Belthangady - Guruvayankere - Karkala - Hebri last Thursday. JP Nagar 7th Phase to Hebri was 421KMs. My 8 yr old Ikon 1.6 with 80K kms on it gave me an awesome 15.4KMPL.

Roads till Karkala are good to very good. Karkala to Hebri is 30KMs of bumpy ride. But manageable. Mostly shabby patch work.

Returned on Saturday. Started from Yedapadavu (between Moodbidri and Gurupura). There is a single lane road from Yedapadavu to BC Road. Its about 21 kms of bad to decent road. No traffic. Lot of LPG pipelining work in progress in this stretch. After BC Road its NH 48 all the way. Started at 7:30 from Yedapadavu. Breakfast stop at Mani (the food cour after Mani town is very nice). A a pit stop bang in the middle of ghat. And non-stop to JP Nagar 7th Phase. Was home by 2PM.

Thanks Samurai for the Hebri route suggestion.

OT: Onward journey to Hebri was quite adventurous. Both I and wifey had a bad stomach by the time we reached CR Patna. Memorable and eventful journey till Hebri after that
Old 4th March 2012, 23:13   #4001

Dear friends,

We are planning a road trip from Mumbai. Route is as follows:

Mumbai to Bangalore to madikeri (via mysore) to subrahmanya to dharmasthala to moodbidri to kateel to Udipi and back to Mumbai.

Questions: 1) planning to do Madikeri to subrahmanya to dharmasthala to moodbidri to kateel to Udipi in one day. Is it possible? What is the best route and how is the road condition? How much time will this take?

2) I want to come back from Udipi and reach the NH 4. Which is the best route to take?

Early replies will be highly appreciated as we are starting on the 7th. There are 2 cars, a linea and a cruze and a couple of tiny tots with us. So we need to adjust the schedule accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Old 5th March 2012, 10:01   #4002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
Dear friends,

Mumbai to Bangalore to madikeri (via mysore) to subrahmanya to dharmasthala to moodbidri to kateel to Udipi and back to Mumbai.

Questions: 1) planning to do Madikeri to subrahmanya to dharmasthala to moodbidri to kateel to Udipi in one day. Is it possible? What is the best route and how is the road condition? How much time will this take?

2) I want to come back from Udipi and reach the NH 4. Which is the best route to take?
Since all your destinations are close to coastal Karnataka, why not take the Mumbai - Goa - Mangalore route? It is 2 laned, but you can maintain good speeds.

Or you could drive to Hubli from Mumbai, and then hit the coastal roads from Hubli. Do you have to come to Bangalore for some reason?
Old 5th March 2012, 10:11   #4003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
Dear friends,

Drive is possible, but you have to budget for crowds at the temples.
Route is:
Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsanthe-Sakleshpura-Gundiya-Subramanya.
I have no idea what is the current condition of the Madikeri-Sulya road which is obviously the shortest provided it is good.

Subramanya-Gundiya-Dharmastala-Ujjire-Moodabadiri-Kateel-Udupi

Quote:
Take NH17 to Ankola via Kundapura, Bhatkal, Honavar, Kumta and NH63 via Yellapura to reach Hubli bypass on NH4.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:24   #4004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Drive is possible, but you have to budget for crowds at the temples.
Route is:
Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarsanthe-Sakleshpura-Gundiya-Subramanya.
I have no idea what is the current condition of the Madikeri-Sulya road which is obviously the shortest provided it is good.
Madikeri-Sulya is fairly decent after it was shutdown for maintenance. All KSRTC buses, includingt he Volvos ply on this route. Sulya-Kukke is also in a decent shape, albeit narrow and winding amidst plantations.

Apart from the crowd, most temples are closed in the afternoon. Better to check directly with the temple authorities on exact timings of closure. If one starts early from Madikeri (6AM or so), both Kukke and Dharmasthala can be covered before lunch (assuming moderate crowds). Udupi Krishna temple will not be closed during lunch. I do not know about Kateel.

Prasad
Old 5th March 2012, 10:53   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14
Madikeri-Sulya is fairly decent after it was shutdown for maintenance.
Prasad
Afaik there is a road block between madikeri tollgate circle and bhagamandala cross due to on going road work. You have to take diversion through virajpet road and join back to mangalore road after 3 kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks