Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 11:20   #4036
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Its a holiday season and both the temples may be very crowded, avoid sundays and monday.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 18:58   #4037
BHPian

Sringeri is closed between 2pm-5pm IIRC.
Dharmasthala is closed between 2-4pm.
Hornadu is closed from 2pm, not sure when it opens in the evening. Lunch starts post 12pm.
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 09:19   #4038
BHPian

Thanks a lot Fauji!

I will stick on to this route as far as possible.
I might do a reverse of this (Bangalore - horanadu -..). depends on what time we start. But routemap will be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Chandra,

This what i propose

Day 1 - Hebbal - Kukke - Dharmasthala - Kateel - Udupi (Night halt)

Day 2 - Udupi - Kollur - Tirthahalli - Sringeri (Night halt)

Day 3 - Sringeri - Horanadu - Chikkamagalur - Bangalore
1. Which route would you advise between Horanadu & Sringeri ? Chikmagalur-Sringeri Road via Solebail (50 km) or kalasa-kudremukh, etc., (78 km)

2. From Kukke to Dharmasthala - Should I go back to Gundya checkpost and proceed or travel thru' Kadaba ?

3. Any specific reason for touching Chikkamagalur between Horanadu and Bangalore?

Thanks Again, Fauji for your help.

~ Chandra
Old 17th April 2012, 13:18   #4039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras View Post
Thanks a lot Fauji!

I will stick on to this route as far as possible.
I might do a reverse of this (Bangalore - horanadu -..). depends on what time we start. But routemap will be the same.

1. Which route would you advise between Horanadu & Sringeri ? Chikmagalur-Sringeri Road via Solebail (50 km) or kalasa-kudremukh, etc., (78 km)

I would recommend Sringeri - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Horanadu. It is a very picturesque road and i understand that it is in good condition. I have not tried Solebail route and not sure about road conditions unless someone in the forum throw some light.

2. From Kukke to Dharmasthala - Should I go back to Gundya checkpost and proceed or travel thru' Kadaba ?

Yes, That is what i have done. Once you hit highway turn left after few KMs you will find a prominent Y junction with good signage for Dharmasthala.

3. Any specific reason for touching Chikkamagalur between Horanadu and Bangalore?

Apologies. No need to go to Chikkamagalur unless you want to eat masale Dose in Town canteen.

You can come via Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Gendehalli - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore. Since you will be touching Kottigehara which is the start point of Charmadi, i would recommend you to drive for few KMs on Charamadi to enjoy beautiful scenes. Take a look at my TL

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...iri-bekal.html

I have another recommendation.

On the way between Tirthahalli and Sringeri, before Koppa, don't miss an opportunity to visit Kavi shyla - KUVEMPU's ancestral home turned into nice museaum.

Thanks Again, Fauji for your help.

~ Chandra
Chandra,

My replies are in bold above
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:51   #4040
BHPian

Quote:
Chandra,

My replies are in bold above
Dear Fauji,

I am planning for a short vacation at Bananki Homestay, Thirthahalli. I plan to drive from JP Nagar 8th Phase to Thirthahalli via Shimoga. The other option is to go through Horanadu, Sringeri. I would appreciate your views and suggestions. Also, if you have been to this area, what do you recommend as activities (3 days at Bananki). Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:20   #4041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Dear Fauji,

I am planning for a short vacation at Bananki Homestay, Thirthahalli. I plan to drive from JP Nagar 8th Phase to Thirthahalli via Shimoga. The other option is to go through Horanadu, Sringeri. I would appreciate your views and suggestions. Also, if you have been to this area, what do you recommend as activities (3 days at Bananki). Thanks.
Mahesh,

Just go through Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Birur - Tarikere - Shimogga - Tirthahalli. Take NICE road at Kanakapura road junction and carry on. It will not take more than five hours of driving time. Add another 30 minutes for breakfast. Leave around 6 Am if possible so that you are in Birur for breakfast where you can have good dosas it Preethi canteen and reach Bananki comfortably for lunch.

The road conditions through out is excellent.

There are lot of things to do around Bananki. Take a look at this link and it will help. Feel free to call me @ 98450 44486 for any help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ve-malnad.html
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 10:59   #4042
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fauji,

Mahesh,

What a coincidence. I live in JP Nagar 8th phase and I am from Thirthahalli.
Route: Take Tumkur-Bhadravati-Shimoga. Roads are in good condition. Traffic is negligible. Dont forget to take the Bhadravati and Shimoga bye-passes. Saves a lot of time.
To-do: Lots. Depends on your preferences. Depends on age group. I will list out a few
1. Kavishyla - Kuvempu's birth place
2. Chibbalugudde - An old temple on the banks of Tunga river. Lots of fishes like Sringeri. You can feed the fishes. If you have kids be careful. The steps can be slippery.
3. Kavaledurga: Old fort.
4. Kundadri betta: A hillock between Thirthahalli and Agumbe. Nice view from the top
5. Agumbe: You can visit the house where Malgudi Days was shot. And of course the sunset point. If you goto sunset point make it a point to eat the special bajjis' at the cart near the forest gate. He makes good coffee too. There are few places you can visit in Agumbe. See here Agumbe travel guide - Wikitravel. Also if you are interested in wildlife conservation look at this ::.Agumbe - Rainforest Research Station
6. If you are going with kids goto Sakrebailu. Its just before Shimoga while going from Thirthahalli. Reach there by 7AM. You can bathe the elephants. You can also visit the Thavarekoppa. The zoo in Shimoga. You can do this on your way back.
7. Humcha: A holy place for Jains
8. Ramachandrapura Mutt: Indigenous cattle preservation center. You can find a lot of indian cattle breeds here. Very nice place to visit.
hsprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 13:21   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Mahesh,

Just go through Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Birur - Tarikere - Shimogga - Tirthahalli. Take NICE road at Kanakapura road junction and carry on. It will not take more than five hours of driving time. Add another 30 minutes for breakfast. Leave around 6 Am if possible so that you are in Birur for breakfast where you can have good dosas it Preethi canteen and reach Bananki comfortably for lunch.

There are lot of things to do around Bananki. Take a look at this link and it will help. Feel free to call me @ 98450 44486 for any help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ve-malnad.html
Dear Fauji,

Thanks for the links and suggestions. We intend to leave by 6:00 AM and will definitely stop at Preethi canteen for Dosas. I will take the liberty of calling you in case i need any help en-route. I will post once i get back.

Quote:
Mahesh,

There are lot of things to do around Bananki. Take a look at this link
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
Mahesh,

What a coincidence. I live in JP Nagar 8th phase and I am from Thirthahalli.
Dear Prabhu,
It is a very pleasant surprise to see that you are in J P Nagar 8th Phase. Are you by any chance in MSR City? I am.

I intend to do the first 5 visits from your list. Our group is a mix of very young (youngest being 3.5 years) and old (70 years).

Any other specific eat outs for the local specialty?
Thanks Mahesh

Last edited by Samurai : 25th April 2012 at 17:57. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 25th April 2012, 15:00   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Prabhu,
It is a very pleasant surprise to see that you are in J P Nagar 8th Phase. Are you by any chance in MSR City? I am.

I intend to do the first 5 visits from your list. Our group is a mix of very young (youngest being 3.5 years) and old (70 years).

Any other specific eat outs for the local specialty?
Thanks Mahesh
Mahesh,

Places like Kavale durga is only for young and it is difficult for old people. With regards to Kavi Shyla, old people can visit the ancestral home of KUVEMPU which is at foot hill but will not be able to climb Kavi Shyla which is a small hillock.

Kundadri can be done as you can drive up and the last climb is around fifty odd steps. Anyone who is unable to climb can stay in parking area.

All other places in the list can be seen by everyone.

If you are going to Agumbe, dont miss Sirimane falls which is closeby and kids will love it.

As far as food, Bananki will provide you the best malnad food. Dont have to look beyond!!

BTW, i stay closeby too in Arakere MICO layout

I would strongly recommend you to vsist Chowdeshwari temple at Sigandur. On the way you can visit Nagara fort as well. Visiting Sigandur will give everyoen an opportunity to take ferry on the backwaters and enjoy. Hope you have read my TLs.

Sakrebylu is good for Kids. Same with Tyavarekoppa Lion and Tiger safari. Tyavarekoppa can be done while returning as it is a small detour - 10 KMs - from Shimogga towards Sagar. It is a very good safari in natural surroundings and everyone will enjoy it.

On the way back or while going, you can also visit Amriteshwara temple on the outskirts of Tarikere. An excellent Hoysala style temple.

Last edited by Fauji : 25th April 2012 at 15:01.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:36   #4045
BHPian

Quote:
Mahesh,

Places like Kavale durga is only for young and it is difficult for old people. With regards to Kavi Shyla, old people can visit the ancestral home of KUVEMPU which is at foot hill but will not be able to climb Kavi Shyla which is a small hillock.

Kundadri can be done as you can drive up and the last climb is around fifty odd steps. Anyone who is unable to climb can stay in parking area.

All other places in the list can be seen by everyone.

If you are going to Agumbe, dont miss Sirimane falls which is closeby and kids will love it.

As far as food, Bananki will provide you the best malnad food. Dont have to look beyond!!

BTW, i stay closeby too in Arakere MICO layout

I would strongly recommend you to vsist Chowdeshwari temple at Sigandur. On the way you can visit Nagara fort as well. Visiting Sigandur will give everyoen an opportunity to take ferry on the backwaters and enjoy. Hope you have read my TLs.

Sakrebylu is good for Kids. Same with Tyavarekoppa Lion and Tiger safari. Tyavarekoppa can be done while returning as it is a small detour - 10 KMs - from Shimogga towards Sagar. It is a very good safari in natural surroundings and everyone will enjoy it.

On the way back or while going, you can also visit Amriteshwara temple on the outskirts of Tarikere. An excellent Hoysala style temple.
Fauji,

Its a small world! I must have passed your house umpteen number of times when i try to reach bannerghatta road. Thanks for the details. I hope the weather there is much better than Bangalore (though as i type this, the weather in Bangalore is pleasant). I was planning on coming through Horanadu on the return journey - for two reasons:

1. I assume the drive through the Western ghats will be scenic (Is this a valid assumption?)
2. Annapoorneshwari temple has been on my list for a very long time
Old 25th April 2012, 17:31   #4046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fauji,

Its a small world! I must have passed your house umpteen number of times when i try to reach bannerghatta road. Thanks for the details. I hope the weather there is much better than Bangalore (though as i type this, the weather in Bangalore is pleasant). I was planning on coming through Horanadu on the return journey - for two reasons:

1. I assume the drive through the Western ghats will be scenic (Is this a valid assumption?)
2. Annapoorneshwari temple has been on my list for a very long time
Hi Mahesh,

Do drop in for coffee when you pass by next time.

Yes, returning via Horanadu is definitely possible. The drives both from Tirthahalli to Horanadu via Sringeri and Kudremukh is beautiful. With summer rains in the region, it will be green and nice. Again the journey from Horanadu till Kottigehara is lovely. Suggest return via Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Gendehalli - Belur - Hassan.

I can't PM as you are a Newbie. Give me a call at 98450 44486 and we can talk.

Last edited by Fauji : 25th April 2012 at 17:59.
Old 29th April 2012, 18:26   #4047

I am on my way to Udupi from Calangute Goa and will be travelling to Bangalore on May 2, 2012. I drive the VW Vento. Can someone please let me know the road conditions in Shiradi and beyond. Are there any patches I need to be wary of?
Old 29th April 2012, 20:25   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
I am on my way to Udupi from Calangute Goa and will be travelling to Bangalore on May 2, 2012. I drive the VW Vento. Can someone please let me know the road conditions in Shiradi and beyond. Are there any patches I need to be wary of?
Udupi to Bangalore via (Mangalore-shiradi) is in great condition. pothole free throughout. dont worry much about the road conditions. just enjoy your drive
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:34   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Udupi to Bangalore via (Mangalore-shiradi) is in great condition. pothole free throughout. dont worry much about the road conditions. just enjoy your drive
Raj,

There is post in another therad which says the road in Shiradi has deteorated. Is it correct. Take a look at this post No 6 dated 4th March.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2765405
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:29   #4050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raj,

There is post in another therad which says the road in Shiradi has deteorated. Is it correct. Take a look at this post No 6 dated 4th March.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2765405
This thread is pretty old.. yes the roads were horrible in 2009 Nothing to worry now(lets hope the rains wont spoil the party)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks