Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 14:10   #4366
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Are you sure . I traveled through ghats in last week of October on my old zen with 5 on board without scrapping. By the way turns are concrete laid.
I think he meant where the concrete curves end. Roads are typically bad at edges of the curves and near bridges.

I too felt like roads were more damaged when i came back last sunday. may be because of the heavy traffic(i did not have the freedom to use both sides of the road as per my will).

So the bad stretch is 15-20 kms(but not like entire stretch is bad) just the curves and bridges. overall, sakleshpur to gundya is still doable in 1 hr or so and 1.5 hrs if stuck with pretty bad traffic
Old 27th November 2012, 19:47   #4367
BHPian

Hi,

Got bored of Charmadi and Shiradi. Want to try this route from Udupi to Bangalore:

Udupi-Agumbe-Koppa-Balehonnur-Gendehalli-Belur-Banglore.

It would be great if someone can update the road conditions upto Belur. This is a bullet ride, so reasonable roads would suffice.

I also want to reach Udupi from Sirsi. Which is the most scenic route? Is it the one via Kargal or the one via Sigandur.

Thanks,

Prasad
Old 27th November 2012, 20:04   #4368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Agumbe-Koppa-Balehonnur
I hope you mean Jayapura instead of Koppa. Via Koppa will double the distance between Sringeri and Balehonnur.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 21:55   #4369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I hope you mean Jayapura instead of Koppa. Via Koppa will double the distance between Sringeri and Balehonnur.
Yes it should be via sringeri jayapura. Road condition should be perfect for bullet. Good scenic winding roads.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 27th November 2012 at 21:56.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 22:26   #4370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Yes it should be via sringeri jayapura.
I indeed did mean Koppa, because that was the route shown by Google maps. I'll now go via Sringeri. Thanks for the inputs.

Prasad
Old 28th November 2012, 12:02   #4371
BHPian

Quote:
I indeed did mean Koppa, because that was the route shown by Google maps. I'll now go via Sringeri. Thanks for the inputs.

Prasad
I had done Sringeri -Jayapura -Balehonnur - Aldur route short time back.

Sringeri - Balehonnur - Aldur road was in good condition. From Aldur took deviation to Chikmagalur to meet a relative, so not sure about condition of Aldur - Belur road.
satshen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 13:02   #4372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post
so not sure about condition of Aldur - Belur road.
Quote:
Hi,

Balehonnur-Gendehalli-Belur-Banglore.

It would be great if someone can update the road conditions upto Belur. This is a bullet ride, so reasonable roads would suffice.

I also want to reach Udupi from Sirsi. Which is the most scenic route? Is it the one via Kargal or the one via Sigandur.

Thanks,

Prasad
Aldur-Belur road is good upto Haandi on the Mudigere-Chikmagalur road (KM Road). But after that it is narrow and pothole ridden. The road has broken down at a few places it will join the Mudigere Belur road at Baskal just before Gendehalli. The Gendehalli road was the preferred alternative to reach Mudigere from Belur until a few months back when the regular Belur-Cheeknally-Mudigere road was bad.

Sirsi to Udupi, you can take either one as both are very nice trips. But I would suggest via Sigandur as you will need to take a ferry to reach Sigandur from Sagar. From there you can either go via Kollur or via Nagara-Hulikal ghat road.

The Kargal-Bhatkal route is forested and it will be somewhat similar to Bisle (minus the bad roads) which you have already traveled.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 13:42   #4373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Aldur-Belur road is good upto Haandi on the Mudigere-Chikmagalur road (KM Road). But after that it is narrow and pothole ridden. The road has broken down at a few places it will join the Mudigere Belur road at Baskal just before Gendehalli.
Should I then go to Chikmagalur from Aldur or go to Mudigere?

Quote:
Sirsi to Udupi, you can take either one as both are very nice trips. But I would suggest via Sigandur as you will need to take a ferry to reach Sigandur from Sagar. From there you can either go via Kollur or via Nagara-Hulikal ghat road.

The Kargal-Bhatkal route is forested and it will be somewhat similar to Bisle (minus the bad roads) which you have already traveled.
Was about to PM you. Will take the Singandur and experience the ferry. Thanks a lot.

Prasad
Old 28th November 2012, 15:18   #4374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Was about to PM you. Will take the Singandur and experience the ferry. Thanks a lot.

Prasad
Quote:
Aldur-Belur road is good upto Haandi on the Mudigere-Chikmagalur road (KM Road). But after that it is narrow and pothole ridden. The road has broken down at a few places it will join the Mudigere Belur road at Baskal just before Gendehalli. .
Quote:
Balehonnur-Gendehalli-Belur-Banglore.

As of last week update (took my Civic in that route),
The road is very bad from Haandi - Baskal & also at someplaces after Gendehalli towards Belur. I would have almost scraped my Civic twice, but thanks to somewhat cautious driving by me, didn't scrape anywhere.
Prasad,
This route can be done easily on a bullet, but road is narrow and edgy at most of the places. But be careful about the potholes which pop up off a sudden.
Belur-Cheekanahally-Mudigere-Aldur is in good condition as of now.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 15:21   #4375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd recommend going via Mudigere given that the Mudigere-Belur road has been done up recently and is in a good condition.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:34   #4376
BHPian

Hi,
I would be travelling from kundapura to Chikamagalur this weekend. Wanted to know how much time it would take for this strech (and any updated road conditions) :
Someshwara, Agumbe, Sringeri, Jayapura, Aldur, Chikamagalur.
Have an infant on board and hence important to time the stop at Chikamagalur. Will be proceeding to Bangalore from there. Vehicle is an innova.
Thanks in advance!
Nma
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:13   #4377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Hi,
I would be travelling from kundapura to Chikamagalur this weekend. Wanted to know how much time it would take for this strech (and any updated road conditions) :
Someshwara, Agumbe, Sringeri, Jayapura, Aldur, Chikamagalur.
Have an infant on board and hence important to time the stop at Chikamagalur. Will be proceeding to Bangalore from there. Vehicle is an innova.
Thanks in advance!
Nma
OK, so your final destination is Bangalore. Then I would suggest you to travel to Shimoga from Agumbe via Thirthahalli and halt at Shimoga. The road from Agumbe to Thirthahalli is bad in patches. Thirthahalli onwards till Shimoga and all the way till Bangalore, the road is good throughout.
Also, you might reach Shimoga faster than reaching Chikmagalur and then can even continue onto Bangalore by having just lunch at Shimoga. Staying options are also good at Shimoga. Hotel Jewel Rock is one good hotel there.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:30   #4378
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I drove through Shiradi - Dharmasthala - Manipal route. I was in a MM550 and was deeply thinking about some business matter, so barely noticed the condition of Shiradi. But I did notice that it took 1 hour to cover Sakleshpur-Gundya. That means the road is in pretty bad shape. The hatch/sedan drivers are better off looking at other options like Agumbe or Charmadi until Shiradi is fixed.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:06   #4379

[Ford Fiesta Diesel, single person]
Did MLR-BLR via Shiradi, Hassan in 6hours on Fri, 30 Dec. Thought Shiradi was pretty ok - took about 45 min between Gundya-Sakleshpur.
This is still the fastest route.
Couple of weeks back, I went through Shimoga/Agumbe [BLR-Udupi]. Took 1.5 hours more, mainly due to 2 lane roads, even though they are good at most places.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:41   #4380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I drove through Shiradi - Dharmasthala - Manipal route. I was in a MM550 and was deeply thinking about some business matter, so barely noticed the condition of Shiradi. But I did notice that it took 1 hour to cover Sakleshpur-Gundya. That means the road is in pretty bad shape. The hatch/sedan drivers are better off looking at other options like Agumbe or Charmadi until Shiradi is fixed.
Yes that was my observation too. it now takes 1 hour or more to cover this distance. BTW, you dont need to notice condition of Shiradi in a MM550. You can sing "Gandada gudi" Title track and drive it.

It is for hatch/sedan drivers to worry and cry

Now that the rains are over, just wondering when will they take up road repair work as this is the usual time they start relaying tar.

I guess i am mostly done for my self drive trips towards mangalore for this year(till next summer) so that is a big sigh of relief for me. Hope to drive on a fresh coat of tarmac next year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks